Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Can't believe these democrats (and a few republicans) are still nitpicking over the economic relief package on offer. The hell that the Wuhan coronavirus has resulted in needs addressing now and any politician voting against their governments' attempts at alleviating the devastation needs to be called out.

Sen. John Kennedy did just that succinctly early today ...

https://twitter.com/EM_KA_17/status/1242145487446331394

Trump has confirmed he will personally oversee the spending. What happened with the last tax break exactly?

As someone else commented online, "If we give Trump a massive slush fund and don't hold him accountable, we are repeating his father's mistakes"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The sitting President, absolutely, not sarcastically, mocking a senator being in isolation: an all round, class act in times of crisis. I'd speculate how on earth polls show a 50-50 split in terms of his competence during this, but then you read comments on Irish websites & see plenty of people enamoured with his Big Talk and even bigger Promises. I recall the article where Trump announced how awesome chloroquine would be, and TheJournal's comments were awash with "OMG, why aren't we doing this?? At least Trump's doing something!!1".

https://twitter.com/PodSaveAmerica/status/1241857752579764225

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Interesting notion being floated by the Republican Lt Governor of Texas that the elderly would be willing to die to preserve the economy, out of a sense of patriotic duty and for their grandchildren. It's almost like a parody of villainy at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

pixelburp wrote: »
    The sitting President, absolutely, not sarcastically, mocking a senator being in isolation: an all round, class act in times of crisis. I'd speculate how on earth polls show a 50-50 split in terms of his competence during this, but then you read comments on Irish websites & see plenty of people enamoured with his Big Talk and even bigger Promises. I recall the article where Trump announced how awesome chloroquine would be, and TheJournal's comments were awash with "OMG, why aren't we doing this?? At least Trump's doing something!!1".

The worst thing about that video is he clearly was itching to get that barb in, coaxing the person to list the people currently isolating. This is the person leading the response to the pandemic, openly revelling in the potential death of a political opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

pixelburp wrote: »

well because as we have unfortunately seen taking stuff meant to clean fish tanks doesn't really work out great.

Interesting notion being floated by the Republican Lt Governor of Texas that the elderly would be willing to die to preserve the economy, out of a sense of patriotic duty and for their grandchildren. It's almost like a parody of villainy at this stage.

There have been times when you think we will get through okay and then you read statements like that and you do wonder will we. Btw I've no doubt we will be it seems even in times of crisis stupidity knows no bounds it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    well because as we have unfortunately seen taking stuff meant to clean fish tanks doesn't really work out great.

Because they were scared and didn't know any better. It's easy to laugh it off, sort of like laughing at a POTUS cmtgat can't hardly read, but that's the public for you.

And leaders need to be aware of that fact. He knows that people believe everything he says - remember he told people to ignore the media and just listen to what he tells them - so it is hardly surprising that some older people took what he said as gospel.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Because they were scared and didn't know any better. It's easy to laugh it off, sort of like laughing at a POTUS cmtgat can't hardly read, but that's the public for you.

And leaders need to be aware of that fact. He knows that people believe everything he says - remember he told people to ignore the media and just listen to what he tells them - so it is hardly surprising that some older people took what he said as gospel.

I'm not laughing it off and I feel for that couple one of whom died and one who is very unwell and hopefully she recovers. I place all the blame to the guy in the White House who is taking through his hat on a multitude of issues including this very serious one because that he has no business talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I'm not laughing it off and I feel for that couple one of whom died and one who is very unwell and hopefully she recovers. I place all the blame to the guy in the White House who is taking through his hat on a multitude of issues including this very serious one because that he has no business talking about.

Apologies, I misinterpreted the tone of your post.

• Advertisement

We've seen throughout the world since the start of the financial crisis that older people certainly weren't willing to make financial sacrifices to bolster the foundations for their descendants' lives, so aside from being macabre it's pretty much incorrect as well.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Apologies, I misinterpreted the tone of your post.

No apology needed. If Donald trump stops thinking about himself for once maybe the USA has a chance to if not control the virus but to try and limit the damage. The unfortunate thing is he's shown not even an ounce of wanting to do that. For all Boris Johnson's waffling the bits of press conferences I've seen of his, when a question involving something related to the health side of it he rightly defers to the experts.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Hopefully now that Donald Trump's grip on reality is exposed as being an actual problem, some of his followers may stop to think of all the other areas he's messed up.

This is what happens when you elect a conspiracy theorist president. They have no grip on reality and reality matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

The response of Trump and the Republican party in general should not be viewed through the prism of incompetence but through the prism of evil.

They mask evil with incompetence, they prefer people to talk about incompetence because they know the alternative - which is the reality - is too frightening to think about.

A holocaust of the elderly and infirm was actual Nazi policy. That is now where America is.

Trump sees this situation not as a crisis but as an opportunity. His regime is filled with end times cultists. He himself has called for society to be burned down and a huge amount of his supporters believe in the destruction of society.

Trump sees this as an opportunity to enact dictatorial powers and to funnel vast amounts of public money to himself.

At the same time he's pushing quack "cures" onto vulnerable and desperate people, just like right-wing grifters like Alex Jones do.

All of this is objectively evil. That's the frame through which people need to view what is happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

a huge amount of his supporters believe in the destruction of society.
    Because it will hasten the re-appearance of Jesus who will save the chosen ones (only).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

In stating that a large amount of Trump supporters want society "burned to the ground", I cite a very reputable political science study done last year.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/trumps-hardcore-fans-crave-chaos-and-think-society-should-be-burned-to-the-ground-political-scientists/

A widely lauded new study from three political scientists has found that the people who are most strongly attracted to President Donald Trump are fueled by “chaos” and tend to believe that “society should be burned to the ground.”

The study, which was cited in the latest column from the New York Times’ Thomas Edsall, found that social media websites have allowed angry conspiracy theorists to gain mass audiences, whereas in the past they have been relegated to the fringes of political discourse.

These formerly fringe actors are driven by the need to create chaos, Edsall writes, and that’s why they are drawn so strongly to Trump’s presidency.

The study’s authors — political scientists Michael Bang Petersen and Mathias Osmundsen of Aarhus University in Denmark, and Kevin Arceneaux of Temple University — found that Trump supporters were far more likely than other voters to be sympathetic toward statements such as “I fantasize about a natural disaster wiping out most of humanity such that a small group of people can start all over” and “I think society should be burned to the ground.”

These views are a minority among voters, the authors claim, but they nonetheless have “incredible amounts of support” among the general population. In fact, the study found that 24 percent of all 6,000-plus people surveyed said they believed society “should be burned to the ground.”

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    Well im assuming big decisions have already been made.

All im seeing is videos of troop deployments and large scale equipment deployments across the US, looks like national guard. Chicago and New York being key locations for these movements to.

This happens every time there's some sort of crisis. Someone takes a video of a routine shipment of equipment and all of a sudden it's "The military is being mobilsed, watch out for martial law, internment camps, and the final take-over by the illuminati"

About two weeks ago, someone decided to go to my old National Guard facility in Las Vegas, on a normal training weekend. There's a tank parked near the gate, it's been there for years as a monument. He was convinced that the Army were 'up to something', that the tank was going to be used, that video gained enough traction to reach me here in Texas.

There are almost half a million Guardsmen. So far, about 10,000 have been activated, and they generally aren't taking much equipment with them. Trucks and tents, mainly. If you see anything on tracks or on a train or even being flat-bedded, it's almost certainly got nothing to do with COVID and is just a normal shipment, the Army's not shut down. No Guard activations thus far have crossed state lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

This happens every time there's some sort of crisis. Someone takes a video of a routine shipment of equipment and all of a sudden it's "The military is being mobilsed, watch out for martial law, internment camps, and the final take-over by the illuminati"

About two weeks ago, someone decided to go to my old National Guard facility in Las Vegas, on a normal training weekend. There's a tank parked near the gate, it's been there for years as a monument. He was convinced that the Army were 'up to something', that the tank was going to be used, that video gained enough traction to reach me here in Texas.

There are almost half a million Guardsmen. So far, about 10,000 have been activated, and they generally aren't taking much equipment with them. Trucks and tents, mainly. If you see anything on tracks or on a train or even being flat-bedded, it's almost certainly got nothing to do with COVID and is just a normal shipment, the Army's not shut down. No Guard activations thus far have crossed state lines.

We had similar rumours here. At least the US might potentially have the capability of carrying it out but yeah. I don't get the joy in trying to predict random changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He has found a substitute for his town hall rallies.

https://twitter.com/BBuchman_CNS/status/1242465992841682950?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

Governor Cuomo live on CNN now.
    Speaking with just PowerPoint notes.

Amazing contrast with the occupant of the Whitehouse, who reads in a monotone, almost with his finger tracing the words like a five year old.

He's talking great sense, also in contrast to Trump.

My contempt for Trump and for all his enablers grows by the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Ben Done wrote: »
    Governor Cuomo live on CNN now.
    Speaking with just PowerPoint notes.

Amazing contrast with the occupant of the Whitehouse, who reads in a monotone, almost with his finger tracing the words like a five year old.

He's talking great sense, also in contrast to Trump.

My contempt for Trump and for all his enablers grows by the day.

I watched this on CNN last night
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/24/tv-cnn-cuomo/

It was brilliant tv

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He trying to push the Federal Govn't to do the right thing. He's spelling out the way to act in simple language, I'd say mainly for Trump's benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Wow how impressive is Governor Cuomo

NY are very very lucky to have him

• Registered Users Posts: 24,069 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Headshot wrote: »
    Wow how impressive is Governor Cuomo

NY are very very lucky to have him

As will America be when he is acclaimed as the Democrat candidate and elected next President of the United States.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Slow your roll there horse,

I said national guard had been activated, and the videos ive got confirmed that in new york. Other movements are also accurate. As per your boss.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/trump-activates-national-guard-in-california-new-york-and-washington-state-to-fight-coronavirus-outbreak.html

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    Slow your roll there horse,

I said national guard had been activated, and the videos ive got confirmed that in new york. Other movements are also accurate. As per your boss.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/22/trump-activates-national-guard-in-california-new-york-and-washington-state-to-fight-coronavirus-outbreak.html

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you yourself were saying that the illuminati were taking over, but it is a trend that videos of equipment movement do get a lot more distribution in times of crisis because of it, making it more likely to cross your feed and giving a disproportionate perspective.

Guard have been mobilised for COVID in all states. What's a bit unusual in the cases of NY, CA and WA is that the federal government have agreed to pay for it. The news are reporting it as "Trump activates the Guard", in reality the Governors are, but with the Feds agreeing to foot the bill for activations in those three states, it gives them more flexibility in both numbers and duty scope. There's a lot of fine print involved in Guard activations, mainly differing between State Active Duty and various types of Federal Duty orders, it's not like the Irish RDF where everything just comes from the DoD's personnel budget and the laws and chain of command apply equally to everyone wearing a uniform.

California Guard alone is over 20,000 strong, so obviously with under 8,000 activations thus far nationwide, you can see it's nowhere near a full call-out. I'm going to go pick up some supplies just in case I get nabbed for something, but currently, I have no expectation that I will.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Headshot wrote: »
    I watched this on CNN last night
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/24/tv-cnn-cuomo/

It was brilliant tv

That was fantastic television.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Wow! Gov. Cuomo just threw down the gauntlet to the Federal Govt in respect of

a) using the Defense Production Act to get Ventilators manufactured NOW
    b) releasing the 20,000 Ventilators that are in the Federal stockpile..

New York is now projecting 140,000 beds needed within 7-14 days. They have 53,000 available. A massive death toll lies ahead!

Jesus wept! WTF is the Federal Administration doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Wow! Gov. Cuomo just threw down the gauntlet to the Federal Govt in respect of

a) using the Defense Production Act to get Ventilators manufactured NOW
    b) releasing the 20,000 Ventilators that are in the Federal stockpile..

New York is now projecting 140,000 beds needed within 7-14 days. They have 53,000 available. A massive death toll lies ahead!

Jesus wept! WTF is the Federal Administration doing?

Nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Pressure must grow on the New York Governor over his slow response to this disaster.

New York set to be the worst hit state in America.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement