Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    That amendment can only be invoked by the cabinet of the trump administration. Which sensible people are in said administration exactly ? The only two I can think of who would be confirmed are Betsy Devos(wholly unqualified to do anything) and Ben Carson who is somehow a Brain surgeon which is slightly frightening.

Eh, that's where the plan falls down, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Ben Done wrote: »
    Eh, that's where the plan falls down, then.

Yeah basically. I mean the plan of having acting secretaries in place of most US federal departments is looking like a good move on trumps part.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

Headshot wrote: »
    I watched this on CNN last night
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/03/24/tv-cnn-cuomo/

It was brilliant tv

It actually is.

Two brothers.
    Talking real.
    Deadly serious.
    And taking the piss of other at the same time

I've been talking a lot like that to people I love recently, too.

It's a must watch, imo

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I’m no expert on economy but he does seem to be openly suggesting ok if people have to die then they die. But they won’t be our people.

Better than I could put it but for scale.

https://twitter.com/kaivanshroff/status/1242452693823692801?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Watching the White House presser...

How long can Birx and Fauci continue to stand there as a cloak for Trump and Kudlow's sociopathic capitalism and Pence's sycophancy?

FFS, can we PLEASE have the credible experts advise us of the facts,and have a separate presser for the Snake Oil Salesmen to prostitute the formerly honourable Office of the POTUS for the benefit of this pathetic group of execrable sleazebags whose astounding failure to act in time will contribute to many thousands of deaths, otherwise avoidable by competent planning that lost at least a month of preparation.

And before the propagandists come in to throw shade and lies, some of these people in NewYork, now more exposed than was necessary, are relatives of mine. Show me a family in Ireland who is not in the same position with respect to New York relatives as I am!

**** your propaganda! Deal in facts! 140,000 cases requiring hospital beds in 7-14 days in New York. 53,000 beds available. over 20,000 ventilators short of the requirement.

**** your propaganda! How many must die for each 10 points saved on reduction in the DOW? Kudlow's sick-making bull**** trotted out while thousands of New Yorkers don't even know they wont be able to say goodbye to their parents/grand parents in the next month, and they may never find out where the post- cremation ashes have been interred.

**** your propaganda! These are real people who will die in NewYork, followed by the real people who will die in FL, CA, LA etc.etc. Hundreds of thousands..Possibly millions.. All dead to a virus..Some avoidable.. Those more the victims of hubris, laziness and incompetence.. How many? Only time will tell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Link
    An Arizona man has died after ingesting chloroquine phosphate — believing it would protect him from becoming infected with the coronavirus. The man's wife also ingested the substance and is under critical care.

The man's wife told NBC News she'd watched televised briefings during which President Trump talked about the potential benefits of chloroquine. Even though no drugs are approved to prevent or treat COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, some early research suggests it may be useful as a therapy.

"We were afraid of getting sick."

The name "chloroquine" resonated with the man's wife, who asked that her name not be used to protect the family's privacy.

This is the danger of Trump spouting uninformed nonsense on a huge platform about a medical matter. In the briefing yesterday, Trump specifically claimed that countries with high instances of malaria have fewer instances of the virus, and linked that to the presence of hydroxychloroquine.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

There has been suggestion of simply not covering, not airing these press conferences that are actually a danger to public health. His one the other day was the first time I can remember all the major networks actually dropping coverage of a live POTUS address. Imagine that, with everything that is happening and the weight an address from that office (used to) carry they actually just tapped out of coverage and did not air his rambling nonsense.

Sooner he can get back to having his rallies the better tbh, let him do these internet virtual ones if it keeps him occupied. Once he has a pity party to attend he will be quieter and less likely to endanger more than his own base which is what it is at this point.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

There has been suggestion of simply not covering, not airing these press conferences that are actually a danger to public health. His one the other day was the first time I can remember all the major networks actually dropping coverage of a live POTUS address. Imagine that, with everything that is happening and the weight an address from that office (used to) carry they actually just tapped out of coverage and did not air his rambling nonsense.

Sooner he can get back to having his rallies the better tbh, let him do these internet virtual ones if it keeps him occupied. Once he has a pity party to attend he will be quieter and less likely to endanger more than his own base which is what it is at this point.

His ratings are beautiful. Gallup has him jumping from 44% two weeks ago to 49% today. 60% of voters think he's doing a good job dealing with the coronavirus epidemic. Depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Trump has been doing a terrible job with the virus, but it doesn't help when Biden gets confused and says this:

https://twitter.com/RitaPanahi/status/1242578699674742784?s=20

I read that as the actual danger it is. Not intentional from you OP.

Yeah gather all these older obese health problems ridden zombies that adore him. Let the virus do it thing in the basketball court they’ve gathered in.
    Let nature take its course before November.

Probably exactly why he’s switched to tv.

Keep the base safe until that last day he needs them.
    Then fvck em.

**all while keeping him physically safe. I’ve never seen a president in fewest pictures with regular people. Obama hell even bush was in pictures with people all the time even doing the lines. Nobody gets near trump.we know he’s not a people person in the same even normal human sense but joke of that baby kissing or hanging out with the troops way bush was it’s almost ominous

• Advertisement

They won’t be packed at Christmas if he does this

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1242537995103846400?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

RobertKK wrote: »
    Trump has been doing a terrible job with the virus, but it doesn't help when Biden gets confused and says this:

What is the issue here?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

RobertKK wrote: »

Can you explain the problem there Robert .

.I'm not seeing it.

This is an interesting take on how two people can see extremely different things ??

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

God if he reopens everything on april 12th the US will become a global pariah, nobody will let them in for months

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

His ratings are beautiful. Gallup has him jumping from 44% two weeks ago to 49% today. 60% of voters think he's doing a good job dealing with the coronavirus epidemic. Depressing.

I guess if you treat it somewhat like a war-time scenario, you can see where that bounce comes from. Pretty sure every other president got a significant bump at times of adversity in the US purely down to a boost in nationalistic feelings.

I think that there is likely a tipping point in it though. If he plows ahead with re-opening the US before its under control, and numbers shoot up, then maybe things turn. But I can easily see how this spins into Trump saving the US from the foreign pandemic & a wave of further nationalism flowing over the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭Field east

I was looking at one of the daily potus press conferences about 4 days ago when Trump was asked a question, by a male, about giving Americans reassurances about he is doing everything he can to tackle the virus , etc , etc, etc . His only response was that it was a nasty question, fake news equivalent , etc, etc, etc. a lady reporter referred to the above and asked the same question to Mike Pence and he answered it in a very slick , positive and professional way. WILL TRUMP take umbridge and as a result we could be saying goodbye to Mike shortly?

Trump , at the same meeting, went on about a miracle drug that’s going to do serious damage to the virus. He handed over to the chief medical adviser, man of small stature, and he , basically, poured a lot of cold water on what the president had just said - including that the said drug could make matters worse as it had not been clinically tested under the presence of Covid 19. Because the very clear difference between the both of them , I am wondering if the good doctor will be on his way out also?
    Watch the space

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

VinLieger wrote: »
    God if he reopens everything on april 12th the US will become a global pariah, nobody will let them in for months

When Don speaks about the economy and re-opening before Easter, is he talking about his golf courses and related hotel locations? Mar-a-Lago was closed for a "clean-up" and the Trump Bedminster NJ course was closed by the general manager, Mr Murphy. I cant see the Co making due mortgage payments it has to pay if no one is signing the guest register.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Field east wrote: »
    I was looking at one of the daily potus press conferences about 4 days ago when Trump was asked a question, by a male, about giving Americans reassurances about he is doing everything he can to tackle the virus , etc , etc, etc . His only response was that it was a nasty question, fake news equivalent , etc, etc, etc. a lady reporter referred to the above and asked the same question to Mike Pence and he answered it in a very slick , positive and professional way. WILL TRUMP take umbridge and as a result we could be saying goodbye to Mike shortly?

Trump , at the same meeting, went on about a miracle drug that’s going to do serious damage to the virus. He handed over to the chief medical adviser, man of small stature, and he , basically, poured a lot of cold water on what the president had just said - including that the said drug could make matters worse as it had not been clinically tested under the presence of Covid 19. Because the very clear difference between the both of them , I am wondering if the good doctor will be on his way out also?
    Watch the space

The doc was asked about his public absence from the daily briefings with Don at the rostrum and he laughed, saying he hadn't been fired yet. Lucky and unlucky, this isn't the first virus health campaign he's had to fight against US Admin indifference and ignoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Field east wrote: »

Watch the space

Think I’m right in saying Pence is elected and it’s not within the presidents power to sack him. Not that for a minute I think that would have been on the cards here though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

salmocab wrote: »
    Think I’m right in saying Pence is elected and it’s not within the presidents power to sack him. Not that for a minute I think that would have been on the cards here though.

Mike can be fired in November. Trump can announce it earlier than that effectively firing him early. Pence will remain on the role until the election.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Christy42 wrote: »
    Mike can be fired in November. Trump can announce it earlier than that effectively firing him early. Pence will remain on the role until the election.

I would think Pence was likely to be going anyway. Regardless it’s not a firing just not put on the ticket.

I would think Pence was likely to be going anyway. Regardless it’s not a firing just not put on the ticket.

‘He’s doing such a tremendous job with working on that virus we’re gonna let him dedicate all his time to continue that work’

Aaaaand then fire him shortly thereafter blaming the virus’ ongoing rampage on him

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is uncommon and Trump can call it a firing and then everyone will call it a firing. This is how it works.

Hence why we had people on here who couldn't get the name of the Corona virus correct. And while it isn't quite a firing it is a low level lie and people are exhausted from arguing about the other 10000+(surely we have to be close to 20000 by now?) that people won't argue it.

I have met Trump's type before. They simply lie so much that eventually people get exhausted from challenging them all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Christy42 wrote: »
    It is uncommon and Trump can call it a firing and then everyone will call it a firing. This is how it works.

Hence why we had people on here who couldn't get the name of the Corona virus correct. And while it isn't quite a firing it is a low level lie and people are exhausted from arguing about the other 10000+(surely we have to be close to 20000 by now?) that people won't argue it.

I have met Trump's type before. They simply lie so much that eventually people get exhausted from challenging them all the time.

"Never argue with stupidity. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd say Pence would be going any way. His wife never wanted him to take the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242777450662244352?s=20

I know the Boards protocol is that we cannot insult politicians etc, but what I will say, as a matter of pure fact, is that this man is utterly devoid of any redeemable qualities, has zero compassion, empathy, decorum or decency.

His personality flaws are so blatantly obvious, that it defies belief that anyone on God's green earth could look up to him, or put him forward, as an example of how to conduct oneself on any level, never mind president of the United States.

An utter disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I wonder what is behind the latest polls showing that Trump approval rating, and his handling of this situation, is generally positive and seen an increase.

Is it that many people simply do not understand the real situation, that the numbers as they are now do not represent the full effect?
    Is it that the genuinely think that he is doing a good job, despite the lies, the u-turns, the failure to act?

Or is it simply that people do see this as a war and as such the leader is given backing no matter what?

Are there other possible reasons? (I know that there is always a group that will support no matter what, and vice versa, but it the increase in numbers rather than the base number I am asking about)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1242777450662244352?s=20

I know the Boards protocol is that we cannot insult politicians etc, but what I will say, as a matter of pure fact, is that this man is utterly devoid of any redeemable qualities, has zero compassion, empathy, decorum or decency.

His personality flaws are so blatantly obvious, that it defies belief that anyone on God's green earth could look up to him, or put him forward, as an example of how to conduct oneself on any level, never mind president of the United States.

An utter disgrace.

Your natural instinct when you see a statement like that is to say that it's a parody account. But it's Trump, so of course it's not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I wonder what is behind the latest polls showing that Trump approval rating, and his handling of this situation, is generally positive and seen an increase.

Is it that many people simply do not understand the real situation, that the numbers as they are now do not represent the full effect?
    Yes. It's only getting going there now. They are now no.1 in the number of new cases and no.4 in terms of new deaths. Give that a fortnight and they will be no.1 in terms of deaths.

That's when the panic will really set in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

serfboard wrote: »
    Yes. It's only getting going there now. They are now no.1 in the number of new cases and no.4 in terms of new deaths. Give that a fortnight and they will be no.1 in terms of deaths.

That's when the panic will really set in.

Watch each state shut their borders and stop people fleeing to less populated areas

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement