Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Marion McKeown made point on Sean O'Rourke earlier that support for trump might be hardening among his base in rural states like idaho, wyoming which are fairly isolated and may not understand the severity. This can probably apply to the likes of texas, colorado and others which are very rural too. They just hear about some emergency happening, dont see the immediate effects and assume their great leader is on top of things. His declaration about keeping churches open for Easter likely a conscious attempt to play to this constituency. Guy is a monster, but he's not stupid by a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

His ratings are beautiful. Gallup has him jumping from 44% two weeks ago to 49% today. 60% of voters think he's doing a good job dealing with the coronavirus epidemic. Depressing.

Rally around the flag type bounce. Bush got a huge bounce after 9/11 lets not forget.

Its how it looks for him in 3 months that will be crucial.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They say the second quarter of an election year decides who wins the Presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

Marion McKeown made point on Sean O'Rourke earlier that support for trump might be hardening among his base in rural states like idaho, wyoming which are fairly isolated and may not understand the severity. This can probably apply to the likes of texas, colorado and others which are very rural too. They just hear about some emergency happening, dont see the immediate effects and assume their great leader is on top of things. His declaration about keeping churches open for Easter likely a conscious attempt to play to this constituency. Guy is a monster, but he's not stupid by a long way.

I mean it will be stupid when all his voters who attend church around Easter die.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I mean it will be stupid when all his voters who attend church around Easter die.

Yeah possibly, but i guess its what those people want to hear right now so thats all that matters. If it doesnt come to pass down the line then trump shifts back to the blame game. Or something like that anyway.

• Advertisement

See a clip of a pastor last night having gatherings of 1,000 people in his church. He says he lay his hands on them if they get the virus. That's Trump's base.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Water John wrote: »
    See a clip of a pastor last night having gatherings of 1,000 people in his church. He says he lay his hands on them if they get the virus. That's Trump's base.

So where do you place the college students who have been packing the beaches on spring break? They're supposedly Bernie's base, aren't they?

Oh, guess what. They're testing positive now.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/spring-breakers-who-ignored-coronavirus-warnings-contract-coronavirus/

Might I suggest that idiocy knows no political boundaries?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

So where do you place the college students who have been packing the beaches on spring break? They're supposedly Bernie's base, aren't they?

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/spring-breakers-who-ignored-coronavirus-warnings-contract-coronavirus/

Might I suggest that there are idiots everywhere?

Without question , there are idiots everywhere..

However one group are (for the most part) individually saying "I don't care if I get it , I'm young and dumb and I like to party" - They are unquestionably stupid.

The other is saying to a gullible and impressionable audience "I can cure you" , "I can lay hands on you and cure you all" "come to my church, God won't let the virus in" etc. - They are both stupid and dangerous with a much larger and wider platform from which to spread their stupidity.

Some of these "Pastors" should be charged with Fraud or similar for trying to claim that they can cure anything with the power of prayer or the laying on of hands or whatever other tripe they come out with , but the chances of that happening is essentially Zero in the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Only a % and if there isn't proper testing in the state then many will end up going down as something else. Who will bother totalling up flu deaths in the state a few weeks after Easter? Without full numbers it will look like a once off if Granny happens to die. Hardly something to blame Trump on unless the full scale of what happened is actually revealed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I'd find these numbers crazy if we weren't so used to how much of a cult the republican party has become.

It really shows how people hear what they want to hear. Despite CDC regularly contradicting Trump, be it in a passive manner, they have twisted themselves into believing that they can trust both while they say opposites to each other.

https://twitter.com/AliVelshi/status/1242795405517217801?s=20

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The GOP really ought to be scared that an important % of it's base might die.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

The GOP really ought to be scared that an important % of it's base might die.

I imagine they have figured the wheat fields for votes they rely on are relatively safe. Cities are of bigger risk and while they may lose older voters there they were not going to win them anyway so who cares.

And anyway they will be looking after their own areas. Trump has been focusing on his areas since his presidency began and doesn't care for states he won't win

https://www.politico.com/amp/news/2020/03/24/trump-disaster-unemployment-funds-147404?__twitter_impression=true

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

A few posts above echo an important point, the coronavirus is only severely impacting a small amount of areas so far, and a lot of the population has so far been sheltered from it.

However, given the unrestrained level of air travel and general transmission of the virus, it's only a matter of time before it becomes widespread and people's views on how the WH shambles is handling it might change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭eire4

marno21 wrote: »
    A few posts above echo an important point, the coronavirus is only severely impacting a small amount of areas so far, and a lot of the population has so far been sheltered from it.

However, given the unrestrained level of air travel and general transmission of the virus, it's only a matter of time before it becomes widespread and people's views on how the WH shambles is handling it might change.

I have been wondering at what level of death does reality set in for the US. Right now the death toll is about 700 at what point do they wake up? It really is unconscionable how the president has behaved and I fear for how many will die in the US before they wake up on a national level.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Shocking thing in that poll is that 14% of Dem voters believe Trump over everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Might I suggest that idiocy knows no political boundaries?

I had thoughts on whether the colleges will be holding classes or courses on campus, wondering if the major campuses and the buildings there-in would be fit for emergency medical centre purpose & could be taken over by the various states [secured by the state N/G units] for use to treat those hit by the virus. You may be a bit safer in the US as you [crosses fingers] don't have idiot teenagers wandering around targeting others by coughing on them.

Re those in rural areas who think that factor makes them safe, it also means there may be a lack of 1st responders & fit for purpose medical clinics to keep them alive until the virus in them dies off & they survive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

aloyisious wrote: »
    Re those in rural areas who think that factor makes them safe, it also means there may be a lack of 1st responders & fit for purpose medical clinics to keep them alive until the virus in them dies off & they survive it.

Yeah I was wondering the same. Once it does eventually start hitting some of the more rural areas, will the medical facilities in those areas have the capacity to treat the influx of infected persons compared to the facilities in the more populous areas?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Shocking thing in that poll is that 14% of Dem voters believe Trump over everyone else

The question isn't who they trust the most, it is who they trust and can be multiple choice.

It is a terrible indictment that only 14% of any group would trust them, no matter what that group is.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah I was wondering the same. Once it does eventually start hitting some of the more rural areas, will the medical facilities in those areas have the capacity to treat the influx of infected persons compared to the facilities in the more populous areas?

The answer is no.

Andrew Cuomo made a great point during the interview on CNN yesterday, given the fact that the American health service is "for profit" there is no spare capacity in the system as it is not profitable to have it. So where European health systems, and we can see what we're doing here in Ireland in preparation, can ramp up and open beds that were not being used, in the US in a lot of cases, can't. Again that's simplistic, but is a good way to see how things are going to go soon for them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

He's very quick- witted and sometimes humourous at the press conferences but his fallback is the "American People"

You know the old saying about patriotism

It would be fun to watch Trump debate with him. Absolute mince meat.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Right then

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1242905328209080331

The more it goes on the worse it’s going to end up over there. You can’t help but feel sorry for the place; the response to date from the Trump administration has been similar to that of Iran’s response.

Thankfully the State Governments are in some way able to respond.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jesus textbook example of a sociopaths mindset there^.

I honestly cant believe any politician could be clueless enough to mention a global pandemic that killing thousands of their own citizens in the same sentence as their reelection chances, he is truly deranged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 William Legrande

Watching the press conference on coronavirus on CNN just now and he indulged in a lengthy rant about the EU not allowing American medical equipment - the best in the world - to be sold here.

From them he went on to NATO and mentioned making somebody (can't remember the name) pay an extra 400 billion towards it.

He went on then accuse a reporter of creating fake news in order for him to lose the electiion.

At the moment he is talking about his 164 miles of big, beautiful wall.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

More critically, is anyone else on Fox, or senior GOP members talking about reverting lockdowns and bans? Cos that's presumably where the critical pulse is to be felt. Trump can rant til he's blue in the face, as long as those at state or legislative level don't start parroting the same social suicide.

The man has lost it. The last vestiges of any sense of bravado must go out the window with this craven display of a man singularly incapable of dealing with a crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Watching the press conference on coronavirus on CNN just now and he indulged in a lengthy rant about the EU not allowing American medical equipment - the best in the world - to be sold here.

From them he went on to NATO and mentioned making somebody (can't remember the name) pay an extra 400 billion towards it.

He went on then accuse a reporter of creating fake news in order for him to lose the electiion.

And this is exactly why we all need him to be able to go back to having his pity parties asap, he takes up actual news time with this bull****.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

He's more vocal at a press conference about the EU not allowing US medical equipment to be sold here than he is pushed about reserving and supplying that medical equipment to his own ill country people? While it's nice to have a good trade balance, national income and foreign currency stock in the coffers, is it worth it if its at the cost of burying the voters he'll need in Nov in the intervening months?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

aloyisious wrote: »
    He's more vocal at a press conference about the EU not allowing US medical equipment to be sold here than he is pushed about reserving and supplying that medical equipment to his own ill country people? While it's nice to have a good trade balance, national income and foreign currency stock in the coffers, is it worth it if its at the cost of burying the voters he'll need in Nov in the intervening months?

People in the uk should take note

He's a disgrace to human dna

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

so the USA now has the largest number of active cases in the world. And Donald wants to send everyone back to work.

Yeah that’s going to work out really well donald. Go for it.

At what point will his base wake up? I know the answer sadly is when their family and friends start dying but still. You’d hope it wouldn’t have to come to that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement