Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Runaways wrote: »
    so the USA now has the largest number of active cases in the world. And Donald wants to send everyone back to work.

Yeah that’s going to work out really well donald. Go for it.

At what point will his base wake up? I know the answer sadly is when their family and friends start dying but still. You’d hope it wouldn’t have to come to that.

They won’t. Regardless of what the consequences are. They’re incapable of holding him responsible, it’ll be somebody else’s fault. These people are lost.

I think I need to stop reading about trump. He's a complete buffoon. We all know this for some time but everything he's done surrounding the corona virus goes beyond that. He's directly responsible for the **** show the US are about to find themselves in. I have friends and family in Seattle. I worry for them. This ****ing idiot is boiling my blood.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

They won’t. Regardless of what the consequences are. They’re incapable of holding him responsible, it’ll be somebody else’s fault. These people are lost.

100%. When you see people wearing t-shorts saying they prefer to be a Russian than a democrat you know it is too late.

Trump supporters, not just in the US but on here as well, have shown over and over again that principles do not matter. It is all about the feeling of 'getting one over' the other crowd.

Family values, nope, no longer important
    A united states, not as important as getting one over the lib tards
    Accountability, nope, that is just for suckers and those on the left
    Public service, nope that is for losers.
    Caring for others, nope unless they agree with me in every way.
    It is all about the economy and the stock market and Trump is blowing everyone away on that, except when it all falls down when it is all the Democrats fault.
    Trump is great and achieved so much, except that his hands are completely tied by Democratic governors and he can't be held responsible for anything that doesn't work out.

They are 100% incapable of taking a reasoned judgment on any issue, it all starts from the point of view of Trump must be right, and even if he isn't right other are wrong.

From a macro point of view, what Trump has done is highlight just how little democracy is actually practiced in the US. They may claim to be democratic, but when (and this is on both sides) the vast majority of the county will place party or even person ahead of all else then it is not democracy in terms of the union itself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Seth Meyers pointed out the raging hypocrisy of the increasing clutch of GOP politicians who argue the elderly should (or want to) die rather than endangering the economy. In particular he pointed at Glen Beck; he who made a living scaremongering back circa 2008, about the ACA's mythical "Death Panels" - that would pull the plug on peoples' grannies. So now apparently it's OK to bump off ones grandparents, if it's for the good of the economy. Certain sectors of the GOP & its adjacent mouthpieces have morphed into characters from an Armando Iannucci satire. They're just a couple of steps away from the camp 1970s dystopian film, Logans Run.

Its both grotesque and hilarious to see where American discourse has dropped to, and the rank desperation of Hyper Capitalists as they watch the economy implode. Obviously ordinary people are going to suffer - no more than here at home - but the inability of right wingers to think outside the box to help stimulate the stagnating country is revealing. You'd imagine there'll be even more Undecideds deciding that perhaps Social Democracy isn't the Devil the granny killers would have one believe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I think I need to stop reading about trump. He's a complete buffoon. We all know this for some time but everything he's done surrounding the corona virus goes beyond that. He's directly responsible for the **** show the US are about to find themselves in. I have friends and family in Seattle. I worry for them. This ****ing idiot is boiling my blood.

Ye, and he's more popular in the polls than he's ever been. Get your head around that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I never understood attack ads in campaigns but this one? Ouch. It’s not even things he said taken out of context and warped to fit a narrative.
    It’s things he actually said.

https://twitter.com/chrislongview/status/1242969490721210368?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

Last night was the first time I actually sat and watched a whole press conference from him and I was glued to the screen. You can't accuse him of being boring at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I have to consider that all these little bits of wrong are chipping away slowly.

Look at this messaging for example. Im in no doubt there are thousands of nursing professionals that voted for trump especially in the southern states, that when they see this sort of messaging coming from the GOP it makes them sit back and think.... do these people care about me.

https://twitter.com/owillis/status/1242894044184883201

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

urgelgru wrote: »
    Last night was the first time I actually sat and watched a whole press conference from him and I was glued to the screen. You can't accuse him of being boring at least!

Yeah but for the same reason "Russian Dashcam videos" are so popular. You know you're about to see a crash, you just don't always know how it's going to happen or how bad it's going to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Is he responsible though - I presume he is taking advice from experts around him? Would this have just happened anyway - I know he rants on every evening but I hope he is not actually calling the shots?

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Yeah but for the same reason "Russian Dashcam videos" are so popular. You know you're about to see a crash, you just don't always know how it's going to happen or how bad it's going to be.

Yes! I thought last night we were heading for a big crash - as he was getting extra perturbed. This time next week those conferences are going to be crazy. The numbers looking very bad in US now. Sad times ahead for them by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Is he responsible though - I presume he is taking advice from experts around him? Would this have just happened anyway - I know he rants on every evening but I hope he is not actually calling the shots?

The trouble is he has health experts telling him one thing, and financial experts telling him another. Trump will always side with the financial experts. He pretty much completely said it during his latest briefing that he believes the media and Democrats want the economy to do badly because of the virus so it hurts his re-election chances. That's what he cares about most. Not human lives.

He wants to try protect the economy as much as possible, against the advice of health experts who want to save as many lives as possible, because he likely feels he can still blame deaths from the virus on others but he can't blame the effect on the economy on anyone else if he orders too long a lockdown.

So he wants the economy to be able to start bouncing back well before the election, and the additional deaths that occur from the virus because of that, that's the Dems fault for not helping secure borders, and China's fault for not telling us soon enough, and the media's fault for telling lies about Trump and not getting his messages out properly which would have helped save people etc etc etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The trouble is he has health experts telling him one thing, and financial experts telling him another. Trump will always side with the financial experts. He pretty much completely said it during his latest briefing that he believes the media and Democrats want the economy to do badly because of the virus so it hurts his re-election chances. That's what he cares about most. Not human lives.

He wants to try protect the economy as much as possible, against the advice of health experts who want to save as many lives as possible, because he likely feels he can still blame deaths from the virus on others but he can't blame the effect on the economy on anyone else if he orders too long a lockdown.

So he wants the economy to be able to start bouncing back well before the election, and the additional deaths that occur from the virus because of that, that's the Dems fault for not helping secure borders, and China's fault for not telling us soon enough, and the media's fault for telling lies about Trump and not getting his messages out properly which would have helped save people etc etc etc.

The problem is, he surrounds himself with financial "experts" with the same outlook as he has - get rich quick con-artistry, rather than sustained equitable growth for the economy.

The idea that they're bothered about how mismanaging this crisis could cause a depression ignores the fact that it's not them who'll be suffering. Plenty of people can make money during recessions. And it doesn't hurt if they have cart blanche to commit securities fraud.

Whether or not Trump is still president in a year's time, the economy going down the toilet will be someone else's problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

That's kind of a Republican (modern at least) President time honoured tradition tbf. Part of the cycle, can't wait for Paul Ryan to pop back up with his fiscal conservative concerns.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

But in much the same way you can be *certain* that a Lada will come screaming into view at some point, causing carnage, you can rely on Donald Trump to appear daily in our screens and have the same net effect.

We are all effected by how our leadership responds to these events. I'm proud of Ireland and Leo. His address a week ago was utterly outstanding. It rallied us together and made us take this thing seriously. Then you got this guy saying its fine and its a hoax. That directly contributes to the attitudes of the people and how quickly this thing is spreading over there. There is blood on his hands (and his cabinet if you want to extend to his advisors).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yes he’s responsible for how it’s handled. He’s the top man. A medical expert can give medical advice and a fiscal expert can give fiscal advice and a leader needs to make the decisions. If he leans more toward one bit of advice when the two sides are looking for different things then he’s made the decision for what he perceives to be more important. So in this case if he takes fiscal advice over medical advice and people get sick or worse die because of decisions he made then yes he’s responsible. He won’t take that responsibility of course because only good things are caused by him.

We are all effected by how our leadership responds to these events. I'm proud of Ireland and Leo. His address a week ago was utterly outstanding. It rallied us together and made us take this thing seriously. Then you got this guy saying its fine and its a hoax. That directly contributes to the attitudes of the people and how quickly this thing is spreading over there. There is blood on his hands (and his cabinet if you want to extend to his advisors).

Yes I thoroughly agree with you.

I guess I was assuming the like of Fauci and Brix would not allow the opening of churches or bars etc come Easter weekend. Or at least 'break ranks' and get the information to the public if they were in danger :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yes I thoroughly agree with you.

I guess I was assuming the like of Fauci and Brix would not allow the opening of churches or bars etc come Easter weekend. Or at least 'break ranks' and get the information to the public if they were in danger :)

Fauci hasn't been seen at the podium since last Sunday when he went on TV and was talking about how he had to subtly correct Trumps lies and misinformation..

Brix hasn't spoken out yet , but she won't last long either if she contradicts him..

He's pathetic - Said yesterday or the day before that he would be happy to help the Governors - Not if they really needed the help , but only if they said nice things about him!!

People that disagree with opening up the country again are only doing it to hurt his re-election chances , not because they are worried about people dying, No - it's all about Donald and his life!!!!

Utterly awful human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Fauci hasn't been seen at the podium since last Sunday when he went on TV and was talking about how he had to subtly correct Trumps lies and misinformation..

Brix hasn't spoken out yet , but she won't last long either if she contradicts him..

He's pathetic - Said yesterday or the day before that he would be happy to help the Governors - Not if they really needed the help , but only if they said nice things about him!!

People that disagree with opening up the country again are only doing it to hurt his re-election chances , not because they are worried about people dying, No - it's all about Donald and his life!!!!

Utterly awful human being.

Fauci was on the rostrum last night.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I stand corrected - He hadn't been there the rest of the week and I didn't see yesterday...

Fauci was at the podium last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

urgelgru wrote: »

That's the problem though, these things are not supposed be there for our entertainment.

It's not a comedy or chat show, hes supposed to be addressing the nation as a president and leader

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Fauci was basically only there as a cardboard cut out yesterday. He wasn't given an opportunity to speak before Trump left, aside from a point from a conservative media member that was trying to blame the leader of the WHO.

They've scaled Fauci back a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if the media leak about Trump losing patience with him was purposeful to quieten him and the other experts from even their normally passive disagreements with Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

That's the problem though, these things are not supposed be there for our entertainment.

It's not a comedy or chat show, hes supposed to be addressing the nation as a president and leader

It's a problem with the world now that its style over substance. Mate of mine works for a company that has offices in the UK, day after the original Brexit vote he was talking to a lad in a uk office who said this is what happens when the same people that vote on x factor vote on something real.
    Too many people aren't looking for a real leader they're looking for a chant or someone to blame, just something easy that fits on social media or a tshirt or in Americas case a hat. Not everyone but just enough that it swings the power in s strange way.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Fauci was basically only there as a cardboard cut out yesterday. He wasn't given an opportunity to speak before Trump left, aside from a point from a conservative media member that was trying to blame the leader of the WHO.

They've scaled Fauci back a lot and I wouldn't be surprised if the media leak about Trump losing patience with him was purposeful to quieten him and the other experts from even their normally passive disagreements with Trump.

Over a week ago there was ones where Fauci didn't even attend. I'm not sure we are seeing any trend in relation to Fauci and the briefings?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

In case there was any doubt that Trump was trying to politicize the pandemic by referring to it as the Chinese vurus instead of Corona here is the state department trying to get Wuhan into the name instead. This is a full on strategy to lay the blame when we need to be thinking about fighting the virus.

Call a spade a spade and the Corona virus the Corona virus.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/25/politics/g7-coronavirus-statement/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I stand corrected - He hadn't been there the rest of the week and I didn't see yesterday...

Gas. And it was the only one I've watched since last week!:D

He hadn't been there the rest of the week and I didn't see yesterday...

He was there Tuesday.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The answer is no.

Andrew Cuomo made a great point during the interview on CNN yesterday, given the fact that the American health service is "for profit" there is no spare capacity in the system as it is not profitable to have it. So where European health systems, and we can see what we're doing here in Ireland in preparation, can ramp up and open beds that were not being used, in the US in a lot of cases, can't. Again that's simplistic, but is a good way to see how things are going to go soon for them.

And it’s another argument for that respirator reserve not being immediately dispatched to New York. There are counties in the US without a single respirator. Granted, they are large and generally empty, with little chance of transmission, but if the person behind the desk of the county store gets it, the whole county has a problem.
    We’re still in the early stages of this, NY may peak first, that doesn’t necessarily imply that it’ll peak hardest.

That said, for profit or not, one does expect that a state run healthcare system will run on fairly similar levels of efficiency. Such a system in the US may result in a capability being present in all places, such as “every county must have a respirator”, but similarly the taxpayer is going to be asking questions if a more-than-nominal capability is routinely unused whilst people are waiting for other capabilities. As Biden observed, state healthcare systems haven’t proven to be the savior of European countries from this either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement