Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

This pandemic is unbelievable to watch unfold everyday, following the different news here and around the world, but Trump's daily press conference is still the most surreal part of my day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

At some point surely they'll just send out the health experts and he can watch it on t.v.?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The US will become the country with the highest number of infections tomorrow.
    It's rapidly overtaking Spain, Italy and China.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

everlast75 wrote: »
    Trump related, in that he is a proud surrogate, so I'll take this as great news

https://twitter.com/willsommer/status/1243274460226076673?s=19

He's had a big push lately hawking overpriced survivalist ****e and quack "silver" cures for COVID19. Depressingly he'll probably come out ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Some leader, leaving and letting the Vice President deal with the tougher questions once he's fed his own ego and got his daily dose of attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Are Americans so obsessed with making money that would willingly throw all caution to the wjnd.
    Trump gives the impression that he is prepared to risk thousands of deaths .because his people are telling him to get America working again. As a nation have they completely lost their moral compass at this time all for the sake of the mighty dollar. I am genuinely shocked at this attitude.

He thinks this daily TV appearance will get him reelected. A replacement for his rallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Somebody give me a quick synopsis. Any particular big howlers today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭delaad

Even Faucci and Birx are on the run

Sorry when he started listing off all the leaders of the G 20 on the phone call, I switched off.
    The main headline is the US is now the country with the highest number of postives in the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Somebody give me a quick synopsis. Any particular big howlers today?

Really strange, he seemed sedated.
    He was rambling on about Tom Brady.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Really strange, he seemed sedated.
    He was rambling on about Tom Brady.

I wonder did he really believe he could gaslight a virus? And now that it looks like the US will be the most infected country by possibly many multiples his whole world is crumbling as the thing that's worked his entire adult life to get him whatever he wanted suddenly doesn't

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I got worried when he said he had a second conference call with the governors. That would have been a half an hour of names.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭eire4

Are Americans so obsessed with making money that would willingly throw all caution to the wjnd.
    Trump gives the impression that he is prepared to risk thousands of deaths .because his people are telling him to get America working again. As a nation have they completely lost their moral compass at this time all for the sake of the mighty dollar. I am genuinely shocked at this attitude.

To be fair the average American maybe not so but the country IMHO is an oligarchy of the wealthy now and that is all they care about and if some people have to die along the way for them to keep making money then so be it. I would disagree that they have lost their moral compass though that is if you meant that recently. The idea that the Americans are the "good guys" has been risible for decades now. They are anything but and sadly getting worse under this current regime.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Thanks eire 4fere you are quite right in your reference about the moral compass of the US but the Religious Right who supported Trump surely they must feel uneasy at his callous approach to this pandemic,. I just cant get my head around it maybe I am naive in thinking human lives are more important than the Dow Jones his whole persona is quite scary as if he could nt care less as long as he gets re elected

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

VinLieger wrote: »
    I wonder did he really believe he could gaslight a virus? And now that it looks like the US will be the most infected country by possibly many multiples his whole world is crumbling as the thing that's worked his entire adult life to get him whatever he wanted suddenly doesn't

He’s handled this very badly, but it’s the American people that will pay the price, not him.
    The one time he was required to show leadership, he failed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Thanks eire 4fere you are quite right in your reference about the moral compass of the US but the Religious Right who supported Trump surely they must feel uneasy at his callous approach to this pandemic,. I just cant get my head around it maybe I am naive in thinking human lives are more important than the Dow Jones his whole persona is quite scary as if he could nt care less as long as he gets re elected

They won't because evangelical Christianity in the US is focussed on the idea of certain people being "chosen", and they literally believe Trump is the chosen one. Modern evangelical Christianity as practised in the US is an extremely harsh ideology and highly geared towards the glorification of "chosen" elites - not social justice. Many evangelicals believe that many thousands of people dying would be divine providence for America's "sinful nature". And if you think that makes no sense given Trump being the very epitome of that very "sinful nature", you're right, it doesn't. But it doesn't have to. He has been "chosen" by Jesus Christ.

This is literally what evangelicals believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

And if you think that makes no sense given Trump being the very epitome of that very "sinful nature", you're right, it doesn't. But it doesn't have to. He has been "chosen" by Jesus Christ.

God's imperfect vessel. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

they literally believe Trump is the chosen one.
    I think this is more along the lines of what they believe
    kowloon wrote: »
    God's imperfect vessel. :rolleyes:
    Take a look at the Netflix documentary series "The Family" to see more about this. According to that, Trump wanted Chris Christie as his running mate, but had to pick the real man of God, Mike Pence, instead.

The two Mike Ps, Pence and Pompeo, are Christian fundamentalists, and this is more evidence to the believers, of the divine at work in the Trump administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They won't because evangelical Christianity in the US is focussed on the idea of certain people being "chosen", and they literally believe Trump is the chosen one. Modern evangelical Christianity as practised in the US is an extremely harsh ideology and highly geared towards the glorification of "chosen" elites - not social justice. Many evangelicals believe that many thousands of people dying would be divine providence for America's "sinful nature". And if you think that makes no sense given Trump being the very epitome of that very "sinful nature", you're right, it doesn't. But it doesn't have to. He has been "chosen" by Jesus Christ.

which even if there were chosen people which I personally don't believe there is then you'd think god would pick anyone else. Trump is literally the complete opposite of what you'd believe would be their choice. The evangelical Christian community as a whole are the most unchristian of all christians and would make Nadia Comaneci blush with the mental gymnastics they do to justify something which previously they condemned as someonething akin to Satan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭SeamusFX

What’s insane is 60% of Americans think this circus clown is doing a good job. This is the man that got rid of the Pandemic response team and wasted over a month, rather than preparing, calling COVID19 a hoax !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Water John wrote: »
    The US will become the country with the highest number of infections tomorrow.
    It's rapidly overtaking Spain, Italy and China.

If it keeps going this way they will have as many infections as those 3 combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

DoL in the US: 3.28 million new unemployment claims last week. Previous record? 700,000

Worst. Economy. Ever. Worse than 2008, and how long did *that* take to recover from?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/26/economy/unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Igotadose wrote: »
    DoL in the US: 3.28 million new unemployment claims last week. Previous record? 700,000

Worst. Economy. Ever. Worse than 2008, and how long did *that* take to recover from?

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/26/economy/unemployment-benefits-coronavirus/index.html

I don't understand those figures, how can it be 3.5% rate previously but only 300k on unemployment in January

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I don't understand those figures, how can it be 3.5% rate previously but only 300k on unemployment in January

Where are you getting 3.5% from? This is the weekly number from last week, highest by far all time. Per the article, they're projecting 14 million losing jobs due to the Coronavirus.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Where are you getting 3.5% from? This is the weekly number from last week, highest by far all time. Per the article, they're projecting 14 million losing jobs due to the Coronavirus.

3.5% was the average unemployment rate before covid hit the states, circa 10m

So in the graph, how do the numbers like 300k translate, sorry completely lost on this

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

3.5% was the average unemployment rate before covid hit the states, circa 10m

So in the graph, how do the numbers like 300k translate, sorry completely lost on this

It's new claims, not total claims.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

And it’s another argument for that respirator reserve not being immediately dispatched to New York. There are counties in the US without a single respirator. Granted, they are large and generally empty, with little chance of transmission, but if the person behind the desk of the county store gets it, the whole county has a problem.
    We’re still in the early stages of this, NY may peak first, that doesn’t necessarily imply that it’ll peak hardest.

That said, for profit or not, one does expect that a state run healthcare system will run on fairly similar levels of efficiency. Such a system in the US may result in a capability being present in all places, such as “every county must have a respirator”, but similarly the taxpayer is going to be asking questions if a more-than-nominal capability is routinely unused whilst people are waiting for other capabilities. As Biden observed, state healthcare systems haven’t proven to be the savior of European countries from this either.

Weak enough. I think when the dust has settled it's going to be glaringly obvious which type of system served it's people best. There is no saviour in this situation, it's all about damage control.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It's new claims, not total claims.

That makes more sense, that's not very clear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

MadYaker wrote: »
    Weak enough. I think when the dust has settled it's going to be glaringly obvious which type of system served it's people best. There is no saviour in this situation, it's all about damage control.
    There's systems and there is ignorance/stupidity.

We have the right to be skeptical of experts but have to give them the final say in times of fast moving medical crises.

Bill Gates was on CNN last night. He had a very impressive command of the subject as he has a lot of experience in this area. (but will be dismissed by some as part of the deep state no doubt)

Seemed optimistic that clearing the first wave would be major in the big picture.

Also argued against the idea of attacking the problem piecemeal in the US

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement