Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Water John wrote: »
    Sorry when he started listing off all the leaders of the G 20 on the phone call, I switched off.
    The main headline is the US is now the country with the highest number of postives in the world.

I wonder what level of testing is happening in the US right now. I know the level of testing in Germany was very high and so they have a very high number of infected cases compared to the numbers that have died from the virus. The US testing was certainly very slow to get going last week. Where is it at now?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Bill Gates tried to warn us about this a year ago if I remember correctly. He also happens to be one of the richest men in the world, what a coincidence!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

check_six wrote: »
    I wonder what level of testing is happening in the US right now. I know the level of testing in Germany was very high and so they have a very high number of infected cases compared to the numbers that have died from the virus. The US testing was certainly very slow to get going last week. Where is it at now?

I read that Trump claimed they had done more tests than anywhere else in the world, even South Korea. Which is technically true in a pure numerical sense. However SK has a much smaller population, so even though the US did more tests, SK tested more of the population. The US is well behind in those terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

check_six wrote: »
    If Trump is to be believed, they are conducting, at an absolute level, the highest number of tests per day across the world.

Problem is, and obviously hes no mentioning thos part, I dont think they're measuring up on a per head of population basis though.

He was raving how they were going for testing than South Korea, but Korea has a population of around 50m people I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Penn wrote: »
    I read that Trump claimed they had done more tests than anywhere else in the world, even South Korea. Which is technically true in a pure numerical sense. However SK has a much smaller population, so even though the US did more tests, SK tested more of the population. The US is well behind in those terms.

I would need a link to actual figures. Trump saying they are doing testing and them actually doing testing are two very different things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

NY is doing a high level of testing. One could possibly use those figures to extrapolate to some degree the true infection rate. You have positives, % hospitalised and deaths.
    The number of deaths sadly, is the only true way to get a countrywide picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭farmerval

VinLieger wrote: »
    Im wondering if we will actually see him fully come apart live during a presser though. Hes close to it right now id say but once the numbers become completely insane what will his reaction be

I'm surprised that he hasn't' tried to suppress the numbers already. In Iraq once the US saw the huge numbers of Iraqi's being killed they completely refused to count or at least acknowledge the numbers.

Don't be surprised if Trump starts massaging numbers very soon, spouting the very large numbers recovering from the virus or some such nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

farmerval wrote: »
    I'm surprised that he hasn't' tried to suppress the numbers already. In Iraq once the US saw the huge numbers of Iraqi's being killed they completely refused to count or at least acknowledge the numbers.

Don't be surprised if Trump starts massaging numbers very soon, spouting the very large numbers recovering from the virus or some such nonsense.

True enough, let's not forget those "3 million" illegal votes he claimed existed after learning his lost the Popular Vote. And was incensed enough to start up that phoney Voter Fraud investigation headed by Kris Kobach. Man's ego is as brittle as tissue paper.

It's not outrageous to imagine a scenario where he starts throwing scepticism at the official numbers of dead or infected. I wouldn't put it past him; he's more likely he'll just declare Fake News than massage figures - it's all he knows at this point, picking fights with journalists who have the temerity to ask reasonable questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52056586

552k tests according to Pence but given this adminsitration's record with facts, I would want to see further evidence of where that number's coming from.

If Trump is going to cast doubt on other countries' figures, he should be happy to be challenged on his.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭farmerval

Water John wrote: »
    He thinks this daily TV appearance will get him reelected. A replacement for his rallies.

Is this not the big issue? He really craves this mouthing off to people, preferably people that won't or can't argue back.

In fact is this the only reason he wants to be President. Is it all there is? Instead of his somewhat freaky family and paid sycophants he now has a nation to listen to his inane ramblings.

Surely these press briefings are only to make up for the lack of rallies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

MadYaker wrote: »
    Weak enough. I think when the dust has settled it's going to be glaringly obvious which type of system served it's people best. There is no saviour in this situation, it's all about damage control.

The argument being made that the state health systems are responsible is spurious at best.
    It also highlights a glaring issue with the for profit system.

Cuomo and others have highlighted the issues that they are encountering on the open market already when trying to buy product.

50 State health systems, plus the federal health system and FEMA are bidding against each other for essential equipment.

The profit margin for the suppliers rises, whilst the amount of equipment each state can purchase reduces for their respective budgets.

Trump was on the phone again last night pushing the line that medical equipment and supply shortages rest with the Governor's.
    The US is being shown more and more as a rather loose confederation, and to be quite frank one that is quite feudal.

Corona Virus has been wild stateside since January with community transmission reported there then.

That Trump spent more time labelling the virus as a hoax, praising China and stoking nonsense about cases dropping from 15 at the time, to zero...

All was instrumental in shaping the response adopted by the state's themselves.
    If the federal government is adopting an it'll be grand approach.
    When they are the driver of policy, when they are the source of information and intelligence...

Then it stands to reason that the Federal government is responsible for the wholly botched response.

When you hold executive power, you also hold executive responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

farmerval wrote: »

Well given he supposedly asked the state leadership in Ohio to stop reporting their unemployment numbers to hold off on the visibility, I'd say the chances of Covid numbers being massaged is very high

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

MadYaker wrote: »
    Weak enough. I think when the dust has settled it's going to be glaringly obvious which type of system served it's people best. There is no saviour in this situation, it's all about damage control.

When you factor in the additional equipment needed to get ventilators working for patients, oxygen tanks & feed-in pipes, isolation rooms, not every location will fit the bill as emergency centres for the numbers proving positive in tests. It'll be some months yet before the "cured" lists start turning out graphs to help Don get re-elected, even with massaged stats.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

aloyisious wrote: »
    When you factor in the additional equipment needed to get ventilators working for patients, oxygen tanks & feed-in pipes, isolation rooms, not every location will fit the bill as emergency centres for the numbers proving positive in tests.

And there's not enough staff by far. Plus the staff they have is getting sick.

Magic up a billion respirators, then what? Not that they *shouldn't* magic them up if they could, of course! But they need staff, that staff needs to get to the hospital, there needs to be beds for the patients, and all the workers around that make the beds available, and the staff need to know their families can handle them not being around for prolonged time, etc.

The respirators are kind of a distraction. They're a shiny object - they're absolutely needed, but even if you have them, it's not enough by far.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    When you factor in the additional equipment needed to get ventilators working for patients, oxygen tanks & feed-in pipes, isolation rooms, not every location will fit the bill as emergency centres for the numbers proving positive in tests.

Happy to stand corrected , but as I understand it , ventilators don't need a dedicated air-supply , they just pull in air from the atmosphere. They are essentially mechanical lungs.

Dyson have just designed/invented a battery operated one that they are starting to build - attaches to the bed making is easier to use in a temporary facility etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Happy to stand corrected , but as I understand it , ventilators don't need a dedicated air-supply , they just pull in air from the atmosphere. They are essentially mechanical lungs.

Dyson have just designed/invented a battery operated one that they are starting to build - attaches to the bed making is easier to use in a temporary facility etc.

If it works, sounds like Dyson engineers may have found a way to filter out any viruses in the air its recycling. It'll be a game-changer & fantastic news for the CDC and other medics.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

There was an Italian doctor on Prime Time last night, not lombardy region, who said they had managed to ease the burden on their ICU by using non-invasive ventilators, which they didnt do in china. I've read elsewhere that non-invasive ventilators arent effective for covid-19 but he seemed to differ anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

For the first time ever (not even during Mueller investigation/impeachment trial) I have noticed some scratches in the teflon appearing online. On social media and news comment sections, Don is getting a pasting and his die hard deniers are having trouble keeping up. I am not sure if it is more ordinary people are feeling strongly enough to comment on him or supporters are turning against him, either way it isn't a good time for him, despite unbelievably in some polls his ratings going up. I cannot fathom how anyone, even if there is financial reward in doing so, could say he has or is doing a good job. Would not be surprised if in the coming days it is announced he has the virus like Boris. Such strange times we live in, let us return to boring politics where suit colours and food choices are the headline news.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭badabing106

I am not sure if it is more ordinary people are feeling strongly enough to comment on him or supporters are turning against him, either way it isn't a good time for him, despite unbelievably in some polls his ratings going up. I cannot fathom how anyone, even if there is financial reward in doing so, could say he has or is doing a good job

The World health organization chief is praising Don

[URL]

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The World health organization chief is praising Don

[URL]

Off course they are they have to treae him with the even bigger kid gloves they did China

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Midlife wrote: »
    In fairness, at least Pete and his glorious leader have come a long way from saying the virus and its threat was a democratic hoax.

Can you (or one of the many who endorsed your post) quote where I said that the virus was a hoax please? Can you also quote where Donald Trump said that the virus was a hoax?

Both rhetorical questions of course as neither I, nor Trump, have ever said the virus or it's threat was a 'hoax'. Here is a quote from my post on this thread making that crystal clear:
    ... the "new hoax" he referenced was that the "Democrats are politicizing the coronavirus" so that they can then say his administration aren't doing a good job in tackling it. THAT is what he called their "new hoax" and quite CLEARLY too, his comments were not remotely ambiguous. He also then said that they would do "everything in their power" to keep the numbers down: But wait, if Trump thinks the virus is a hoax why would he speak about his administration doing 'everything in their power' to fight it ..

If my pointing this out is not sufficient, how about The Washington Post? That publication seems to get cited on here regularly and so maybe them saying it will stop this lie from continuing to be propagated. The following is taken from a recent article on Biden's new campaign ad which also uses this lie to try and sway the public away from voting for Trump in November (not as big a lie as many of those within the Clinton funded Steele Dossier of course, but deployed with the same objective):

image.png
    image.png

So, with all due respect, I'd appreciate it if you didn't say that I have said something which I have not.

I'll not make the same request with regards to Trump though as I fear lies about things which he has done and said will no doubt continue unabated for the foreseeable but like I always say: if you (collective you: the left, mainstream media, etc) have to lie about someone so much, with regards to things they have apparently done or said, well then that person really mustn't be as bad as they are being portrayed to be, otherwise such nefariousness wouldn't need to be indulged in now would it, the truth would suffice. That it doesn't, and hasn't, speaks volumes.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Pete is is not clear that he didn't mean Coronavirus, he didn't say either way. So you are simply putting your interpretation on it. He mentioned Politicising it, then went off about Iowa and making up (since it was one of those unnamed sources he hates so much) something about Russia.

He mentions the impeachment hoax, which of course it wasn't the impeachment was very real so how can you consider what he said as definitive either way.

You can't have it both ways Pete. You can't claim that what he said he didn't mean, and tell say he meant what he said another time. The man clearly has little grasp of the English language, certainly no enough to be take anything he says as being actually what he meant to say.

The fact he came out a day later to try to clarify means nothing. It could simply mean he realised what he had said and tried to cover himself. I know it would be out of character, but there is the possibility that he was lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

SeamusFX wrote: »
    What’s insane is 60% of Americans think this circus clown is doing a good job.
    That's Americans overall, and that's because a lot of states haven't been hit with this yet. 7 states have no deaths at all, and a further 24 states have deaths only in single figures.

The US is rising up the chart. It went from most new cases, to most cases overall. It's now fourth in the new deaths category. It will move to first in that category, and then to first in overall deaths. It's still at a low number of deaths per million - 4 - actually the same as us, even though we're probably ahead of them in terms of the outbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Can you (or one of the many who endorsed your post) quote where I said that the virus was a hoax please? Can you also quote where Donald Trump said that the virus was a hoax?

Both rhetorical questions of course as neither I, nor Trump, have ever said the virus or it's threat was a 'hoax'. Here is a quote from my post on this thread making that crystal clear:

If my pointing this out is not sufficient, how about The Washington Post? That publication seems to get cited on here regularly and so maybe them saying it will stop this lie from continuing to be propagated. The following is taken from a recent article on Biden's new campaign ad which also uses this lie to try and sway the public away from voting for Trump in November (not as big a lie as many of those within the Clinton funded Steele Dossier of course, but deployed with the same objective):

So, with all due respect, I'd appreciate it if you didn't say that I have said something which I have not.

I'll not make the same request with regards to Trump though as I fear lies about things which he has done and said will no doubt continue unabated for the foreseeable but like I always say: if you (collective you: the left, mainstream media, etc) have to lie about someone so much, with regards to things they have apparently done or said, well then that person really mustn't be as bad as they are being portrayed to be, otherwise such nefariousness wouldn't need to be indulged in now would it, the truth would suffice. That it doesn't, and hasn't, speaks volumes.

So what exactly was the hoax then?

Not addressing any other the other points from that day though

Just getting into a good old semantic argument.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Pete is is not clear that he didn't mean Coronavirus, he didn't say either way. So you are simply putting your interpretation on it. He mentioned Politicising it, then went off about Iowa and making up (since it was one of those unnamed sources he hates so much) something about Russia.

He mentions the impeachment hoax, which of course it wasn't the impeachment was very real so how can you consider what he said as definitive either way.

You can't have it both ways Pete. You can't claim that what he said he didn't mean, and tell say he meant what he said another time. The man clearly has little grasp of the English language, certainly no enough to be take anything he says as being actually what he meant to say.

The fact he came out a day later to try to clarify means nothing. It could simply mean he realised what he had said and tried to cover himself. I know it would be out of character, but there is the possibility that he was lying.

The other problem that Trump creates for himself is the fact that he has decided that the word "Hoax" resonates with his supporters on the basis of it's interminable usage in relation to the Mueller investigation.

So he now describes almost everything that he sees as an attack on him as a "Hoax" even though that word is in no way the appropriate word from the English language to use in the given context.

So he perhaps could or should have described the negative messaging from the Media or the Democrats about his actions around the Corona Virus as "Over the top" or "Unfair" or "Unwarranted" or something like that , he chose "Hoax" because it's the word his Facebook Ad creators have decided fits nicely on their banners or whatever.

So now when he's trying to say "I didn't mean Hoax hoax , I meant something that is not described in any way by the word Hoax at all" he's really only got himself and his limited vocabulary to blame...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,451 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I don't know why anyone is bothering to argue this. Firstly he does not understand the meaning of the word hoax, he apparently thinks its a way of describing any sort of misrepresentation - insofar as he thinks at all about what he says.

Secondly he is utterly incapable of putting together a coherent sentence, so it doesn't really matter whether he understands what any of the words in the sentence mean individually. Its because of this hazy, waffly, stream of consciousness stuff that his followers think he is so great, they can put their own interpretation on it all.

Edit: also what Quin Dub said.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

looksee wrote: »
    Secondly he is utterly incapable of putting together a coherent sentence ... his followers think he is so great, they can put their own interpretation on it all.
    Nothing incoherent about this:
    When Mexico sends its people, they're not sending their best. They're not sending you. They're not sending you. They're sending people that have lots of problems, and they're bringing those problems with us. They're bringing drugs. They're bringing crime. They're rapists.
    No need for interpretation on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

so that they can then say his administration aren't doing a good job in tackling it. 

Do you think he and his administration are doing a good job tackling it? What's your thoughts on his pressers? Did he seem coherent to you last night when he read off a long list of names of people who were on the call? What are your thoughts on his Tom Brady rambling?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

134 deaths in the last 24 hours in New York alone. Meanwhile, Trump last night on Hannity was saying governors don't really need as many ventilators as they've been asking for, and is now tweeting at GM and Ford to hurry up and build more ventilators or he'll buy them from elsewhere (even though he has the power to compel them to make the ventilators but won't).

The Democrats weren't politicising this thing from the start. They knew what was coming, they knew how Trump would likely handle it, and Trump is doing even worse than they thought he would.

While Trump was calling the Democrats' attitude towards Trump a hoax because there were only 15 cases of it in America and that number would go down, 9 times as many people died yesterday in one State alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Penn wrote: »
    134 deaths in the last 24 hours in New York alone. Meanwhile, Trump last night on Hannity was saying governors don't really need as many ventilators as they've been asking for, and is now tweeting at GM and Ford to hurry up and build more ventilators or he'll buy them from elsewhere (even though he has the power to compel them to make the ventilators but won't).

The Democrats weren't politicising this thing from the start. They knew what was coming, they knew how Trump would likely handle it, and Trump is doing even worse than they thought he would.

While Trump was calling the Democrats' attitude towards Trump a hoax because there were only 15 cases of it in America and that number would go down, 9 times as many people died yesterday in one State alone.
    He's banging on at GM to open an abandoned plant and start making ventilators. They sold the plant last year. He tweeted at the time it was great news for Ohio.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement