Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

This is tantamount to mass murder. Actively ensuring US citizens die. He should be in prison.

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1243667424421036034

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

This is tantamount to mass murder. Actively ensuring US citizens die. He should be in prison.

https://twitter.com/ryanstruyk/status/1243667424421036034

I despair.
    And there are people in America who will defend this appalling line of approach. My own extended family amongst them sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I've read that over and over. And I still can't process it.

Wow.

How in the name of God can people defend this cretin?

I must go now and search for people defending him...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This sounds like a scramble...

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1243710532714192898?s=19

There's quite a few MAGA-heads there alright. Insane stuff!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Fauci's been doing the rounds on interviews recently. Atlantic a few days ago (He said Trump has never refused a recommendation from him), Steph Curry and Trevor Noah yesterday. This is Noah's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3jiM2FNR8

With respect to an earlier discussion on here, the last question refers to the federal government's role. He is quite clear that the States are in charge.

I also note that the federal ventilator supply has already been dipped into. New York received 400 a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Fauci's been doing the rounds on interviews recently. Atlantic a few days ago (He said Trump has never refused a recommendation from him), Steph Curry and Trevor Noah yesterday. This is Noah's. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3jiM2FNR8

With respect to an earlier discussion on here, the last question refers to the federal government's role. He is quite clear that the States are in charge.

I also note that the federal ventilator supply has already been dipped into. New York received 400 a few days ago.

I'm asking you directly manic.

Trump ordered pence not to call states that haven't been nice to him. Cuomo's been nice to him recently but others havent.

What is your opinion on this. And none of the white washing on display in the post I quoted please.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I've read that over and over. And I still can't process it.

Wow.

How in the name of God can people defend this cretin?

I must go now and search for people defending him...

No need to search, they will be along soon enough to explain why (in their minds) Trump is right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Nobody is saying that technically the states are not in charge. But POTUS set the national mood. It simply highlights the point that unless POTUS is actively helping he should get out of the way, stop acting like he is in charge.

Not only is he not helping, he is actively seeking to make their jobs harder unless they tell him how great he is.

His job is to protect US lives. He is failing to do his job.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Nobody is saying that technically the states are not in charge. But POTUS set the national mood. It simply highlights the point that unless POTUS is actively helping he should get out of the way, stop acting like he is in charge.

Not only is he not helping, he is actively seeking to make their jobs harder unless they tell him how great he is.

His job is to protect US lives. He is failing to do his job.

I've said it before. He is not emotionally mature enough to manage a company, nevermind a country. He has significant issues which make him extremely malleable with praise and spiteful with criticism.

I manage people in my job. All of them are paid commensurate with their experience and performance. It has nothing to do with whether they like me or praise me. Because it ****ing shouldn't. I don't get to say the ,"John" doesn't get health insurance because he said something bad about me, or "joe" doesn't get overtime because he didn't praise me about my presentation to them. That's ****ing ridiculous.

They do their job and are free to criticise me if they wish to. I handle issues privately and under no circumstances do i punish them.

He does not like honest people, as they will sometimes tell him things he does not want to hear. This results in sycophants and yes men surrounding him when he needs honesty and facts.

He lives in a bubble of emotional support and you can see how much it hurts him to have to hear the uncomfortable truth at these press conferences. The spiteful side comes out with these personal attacks on the reporters and press at large.

He sulks when he doesn't get his way.

He revels and demands over the top praise from those at the podium.

It's an embarrassment to watch.

How easily he must have been played by Putin, KJU, MSB and others.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Read an interesting article last night about the polarisation in Us politics and how it's playing out with the corona virus.

Basically the virus and perception of it began as a political opinion, democrats went 20/80 in terms of being not worried/worried. Republicians went 80/20.

As a result democrats did far more things like googling handwashing, buying disinfectant and social distancing.

Republicans have now moved towards 50/50 so 30% of people have woken up to the fact that Trump was and is wrong about this.

After a few years of news/vrs fake news it's not that surprising that it took some time.

The problem is in the six or so weeks that it's taken a good proportion of the country to wake up to the threat, the threat has magnified hugely.

It's clear from this that Trumps leadership will cost significant lives.

He was wrong but many people believed him and the us is well behind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Trump invoking the Defence Production Act and using a Presidential Order to use GM to produce ventilators, did he not recently say he didn't need them?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1243559373395410957?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Midlife wrote: »
    After a few years of news/vrs fake news it's not that surprising that it took some time.

I have been saying this for years, this eroding of the norms, not just by Trump, will end in disaster. I think this pandemic could just be the warm up act, and a more lethal one could be a few years down the line. This gas lighting and destruction of people's critical thinking will result in an even greater disaster. Whether it is climate change, war or some other natural disaster, people will ignore it. Imagine if a tsunami warning got texted to you phone now, would you immediately take action or would you look around and see what everyone is doing or check for a known good source online? Millions of people in America wouldn't do any of that, that is where we are now.

KAC was gaslighting the other day on Fox saying there was a meeting on January 12th and Trump took action then, and they have been out ahead of it since then. Look back at what he was saying in February if he knew this was coming since then like she said. I hope one day she and her fellow scumbags have to do a Cersei Lannister esque walk of shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Sure who knows whether the deal is even on or off? Trump posting some self serving diatribe on twitter does not a presidential decree make.

"Some government officials expressed concern about the possibility of producing too many ventilators, leaving them with an expensive surplus."

Jared Kushner is in charge of procuring ventilator. The mind boggles.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1243330245412958208?s=20

Interesting comment...

"The US response will be studied for generations as a textbook example of a disastrous, failed effort,” Ron Klain, who spearheaded the fight against Ebola in 2014, told a Georgetown university panel recently. “What’s happened in Washington has been a fiasco of incredible proportions.”

Trump ignored the science, went with his gut and that shaped the US response.

Korea had their first case on the same day as the US. A couple of days ago they were down to 91 new cases.

I'm just wondering how much longer the absolute diehards like Pete can keep spinning this as not a mess up from Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Reckoning that there is no defence infinite store of Med-type ventilators as most Mil Pers will have their own personal issue suits to block contaminations in the 1st place, I agree with your distribution mention. Andrew Cuomo said of the 400 ventilators "what about the 26 thousand we need in NY" and that's the requirement needing to be filled. One doesn't, in the grand scheme of things, stock up a reserve supply. It'll need buildings for a start.

Re the mention earlier [by another poster] of the GM order to make ventilators being collapsed by some-one from the White House [purportedly on the basis of cost], is that report true? Checking online about it only has 10 hour old reports of the DPA order by Don.

Ta:Christy42 for the DPA reference.

Given his appearance on a few TV shows lately, it sounds like he's preparing for an exit from the team and putting in distance from it - Don who?. Sounds like Dr Birk has hitched her wagon to the trail gang for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yep he finally got around to it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.com/amp/articles/trump-lashes-out-at-general-motors-over-ventilators-11585327749

I still don't get how Manic can try and leave all the blame with the states. The buck stops there but did they have the power to order companies to make more ventilators? There are reserves of ventilators that don't have control over. You can't make them in charge when they don't have the relevant powers.

Any sort of claim that Trump is managing that reserve correctly leaves a massive elephant in the room if they dodge Trump saying they have to be nice to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

The buck stops with Trump. End of.

It's pay walled but there's a good red vrs blue article in the new York Times.

It basically confirms that far fewer republicans were concerned about the situation than Democrats.

They took their lead from Trump who got it wrong.

Individual states have a large part to play in their response but when half a country doesn't believe its a concern because their leader is basically saying so, that's the fault of the leadership.

The thing is Trump has been equally wrong about practically everything. This is just a faster game that he can't lie, litigate or bully his way out of.

The environment, international relations, economics, social cohesion, government makeup. Dead wrong about all of these things. But writing won't be in the wall for a decade or so. Much like when the sensible people in the world (aka overeducated Liberal elites) said don't go into Iraq. It usually takes a long time before massive mistakes like this are irrefutable. Then they say 'who knew right?'

But this virus. He's shown up to be the spoofer he is in real-time.

This is what happens when you have a president who does not believe in science or facts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please don't just paste silly tweets here. Post deleted.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement

Is William Weld a genuine alternative republican nominee for the Presidency besides Don or is he just a "we are a democratically-minded party" fig-leaf for the GOP to hide its lack of.....?

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Happy to stand corrected , but as I understand it , ventilators don't need a dedicated air-supply , they just pull in air from the atmosphere. They are essentially mechanical lungs.

Dyson have just designed/invented a battery operated one that they are starting to build - attaches to the bed making is easier to use in a temporary facility etc.

I got to thinking about the possibility of Dyson coming up with and making a recycled air ventilator like you described and the hand-dryer model they make [the one where you put your hands down into a wall-mounted machine] came up as it runs on recycling the air in the room. Its just a case of remodelling it and giving it a battery power charging system like the Dyson Devil floor cleaner. If Dyson can make the machine heat up high & long enough to kill off any virus in the recycled air first before cooling it enough for human breathing purposes [not burn the trachea or lungs] then it could be a game-changer. There's this also from Wales:https://www.itv.com/news/wales/2020-03-24/welsh-doctor-designs-ventilator-that-could-save-the-lives-of-thousands-of-coronavirus-patients/

listermint wrote: »
    I'm asking you directly manic.

Trump ordered pence not to call states that haven't been nice to him. Cuomo's been nice to him recently but others havent.

What is your opinion on this. And none of the white washing on display in the post I quoted please.

What whitewashing? They are specific facts directly relevant to past discussion.

As for your question, If true it is obviously vindictive and inappropriate. And I hope Pence would ignore it. What other answer would you possibly expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

Is it safe to say Michigan is off the table as a swing state now? Having the president make clear he's willing to let people die if he doesn't receive compliments from the governor must surely leave a sour taste in the mouth of most Michigan voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

What whitewashing? They are specific facts directly relevant to past discussion.

As for your question, If true it is obviously vindictive and inappropriate. And I hope Pence would ignore it. What other answer would you possibly expect?

You are whitewashing the actions of the president. But somehow all actions pertaining to tax and the lack feeling like America was going somewhere were laid at the door of his predecessor.

Why does trump get a pass and the blame us laid at the state level..

I don't understand how there's different degrees of acceptance. Genuinely mind boggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

And I hope Pence would ignore it. What other answer would you possibly expect?

If Pence refuses to follow an order or direction from the President?
    Be it that he views it as only immoral, or better yet an illegal order?

Surely that opens a constitutional crisis and a split in the administration that would need urgent addressing?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Is it safe to say Michigan is off the table as a swing state now? Having the president make clear he's willing to let people die if he doesn't receive compliments from the governor must surely leave a sour taste in the mouth of most Michigan voters.

It certainly won't help things in Michigan. His comments on camera are a ready made politic ad. Yes it was directed at the governor but the governor represents the whole state. Also, referring to the governor as "the woman in Michigan" won't make him very popular amongst women voters, not that voter block was a growth area for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Lolle06

You would „hope“ he would ignore Trump‘s order?
    What exactly would give you the confidence in hoping Pence would go against Trump- knowing his pettiness and vindictive nature towards ppl who stand up to him (hence resulting in this kind of order)?

listermint wrote: »
    You are whitewashing the actions of the president. But somehow all actions pertaining to tax and the lack feeling like America was going somewhere were laid at the door of his predecessor.

Why does trump get a pass and the blame us laid at the state level..

I don't understand how there's different degrees of acceptance. Genuinely mind boggling.

I'm not even sure where to start with the first paragraph. I think you'll be having to scroll back a very, very long way to find my laying blame for the current situation, be it an issue of taxes, economy, healthcare, wars, or the price of fish on his predecessor.

As for the second, because that's how this country works. You may never have heard of Nelson Wolff, but for me and 2 million other people, what he orders, goes, by law. What Trump orders is of more academic interest in comparison.

Take my example. I'm in San Antonio, Bexar County, The Great State of Texas. If I go to my local news page, KSAT.com (An ABC affiliate), the headline is "Bexar County Coronavirus", and what the Mayor and county judge are doing. (SA is most of the county so the mayor is important, the county judge is the one who orders the shelter-in-place, essential businesses, etc). As a result, it is also the page we will go to to find out what rules are in place for us, varying from "what businesses are open" to "Do we keep the windows rolled up at a checkpoint?". We check KSAT more than CNN. It's more relevant.

Scroll down, you get to the State information. If you go to see what the Governor has been saying, take his address of the 23rd, he explicitly states that he sets minimum standards because each local administration knows best how to handle their specific situation. If they want to do more, they can and he will support them. This decentralization applies to the next level up as well, between States and Feds.

You have to scroll a long way down before you start seeing federal news and what Trump is doing.

Now, if you're in Limerick, and you want to find out the Coronavirus news and government actions, I suspect you're far more likely to tune into RTE than the Limerick Leader. Leo's pronouncements are likely far more of note to you than what Sheahan has to say.

Trump can make a fool of himself, but acknowledging that he is not the important person for the population of the US is not a whitewashing, it's a direct statement of fact.

On other matter, Comfort is scheduled to berth in New York on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Are you really trying to argue that people don't listen to Trump's press releases and they haven't had an effect on some of the belief that this is nothing in the states?

Or that giving ventilators from the reserve won't have an effect? Or that ordering more ventilators made and the timing of it won't have an effect? Do you believe if Trump started recommending heavy lock downs that many places wouldn't increase their measures? You mention Leo. From a legal standpoint he has done relatively little, at least until last night However many places immediately followed government advice.

There are multiple important people here. Saying Trump isn't one of them is whitewashing. He has the ear of many including governers. There is a reason Republicans are far less likely to take this seriously and that is because Trump doesn't. People listen to their leaders (self chosen, so Democrats may listen to Obama even if he has no actual power right now). Trump is seen as the voice for the Republicans. If he treats this softly then many others will as well.

You can dream that the states are all loosely related but it isn't true. They have more independence than Kerry does but certainly not where near enough to deal with this by themselves.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement