Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Trump can make a fool of himself, but acknowledging that he is not the important person for the population of the US is not a whitewashing, it's a direct statement of fact.
    I think it goes without saying that most people looking at the situation in the US from the outside do so from a federal level down and while what you've said about the population turning to local affiliates for more relevant news makes perfect sense, it's perhaps countered by the findings in the CBS/YouGov poll taken during the week.

When answering the question "Who do you trust and not trust to give you accurate information about the virus and what to do during the outbreak?", when broken down by party affiliation, 90% of respondents answered Trump while only 65% gave their Governor. On the Democrat side you had 14% for Trump and 75% their Governor. Thankfully the CDC were in the 80s for both sides but I'm sure you can appreciate how bizarre these numbers appear for those commentators described above?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Pete is is not clear that he didn't mean Coronavirus, he didn't say either way.

What he said was crystal clear. The left just chose to deliberately misrepresent what he had said so they could then run their news reports expressing faux outrage at how the President thinks the coronavirus is a hoax, even though at the rally he also spoke of how much his administration was doing to tackle the virus. This was afterall a month after the China travel restrictions were put in place, a state of emergency had been declared, and the Coronavirus taskforce had been set up. Fake news I believe they call it.
    So you are simply putting your interpretation on it.

Nope, I included the Washington Post's take on it and I see gizmo has linked to a few other publications in his post who also made the same determination, so not just my interpretation at all.

Also, you didn't just say that Trump said the virus was a hoax. You said I did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump had his lapdogs like Trish Regan saying it for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Water John wrote: »
    Trump had his lapdogs like Trish Regan saying it for him.

Wasn’t she fired?

Yes, but she and others like her feel they can spout conspiracy nonsense and deny facts. It has consequences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

What he said was crystal clear. The left just chose to deliberately misrepresent what he had said so they could then run their news reports expressing faux outrage at how the President thinks the coronavirus is a hoax, even though at the rally he also spoke of how much his administration was doing to tackle the virus. This was afterall a month after the China travel restrictions were put in place, a state of emergency had been declared, and the Coronavirus taskforce had been set up. Fake news I believe they call it.

Nope, I included the Washington Post's take on it and I see gizmo has linked to a few other publications in his post who also made the same determination, so not just my interpretation at all.

Also, you didn't just say that Trump said the virus was a hoax. You said I did too.

Even if all that were true, his use of the word hoax is entirely wrong. How can something there are doing, according to Trump, be a hoax
    . Are they doing it or not?

So your whole argument falls on its face because the very basis of what he said is incorrect. Yet despite that, you are willing to delve into his words to interpret what he meant.

But it a total irrelevance. If you want to think Trump is fighting the good fight against the nasty DNC then fine.

I will pay more attention to a POTUS can openly seeks to avoid talking to other democratically elected leaders unless they say nice things to him.

I will focus on a POTUS that told everyone he didn't need to invoke the DPA because he was talking to manufacturers directly onlyb2 days ago before having to admit he had failed and now needed the DPA to get them to do it, thus wasting more time and causing more deaths.

I will focus on a POTUS that denied there was even a problem until it was too late.

You know what isn't a goal? Trump failure is going to lead directly to people to die and a bigger hit to the economy than there needed to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Wasn’t she fired?

Trish Regan should sue the hell put of Fox News. She was sacked for doing her job - which was to spread lies, disinformation and crazy conspiracy theories, and to put public health at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

What he said was crystal clear.
    What's the difference between Trump and Gemma O'Doherty in terms of ideology?

Serious question.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Trump can make a fool of himself, but acknowledging that he is not the important person for the population of the US is not a whitewashing, it's a direct statement of fact.

My only response to this is that you must be living on another planet.

Trump is the most important person for the population, you know it know it everyone knows it.

The Governor of Michigan has said companies have told here they cant talk to her because of his words.

This must all sound so sensible from your obviously black and white point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The same people who say that Trump was a straight shooter, he didn't spout politician talk, he tells it like it is, also have to come out and explain that he didn't say what we heard him say.

Mop and bucket brigade to the rescue again.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    Firstly he does not understand the meaning of the word hoax, he apparently thinks its a way of describing any sort of misrepresentation - insofar as he thinks at all about what he says.

Well, the Oxford English Dictionary says:
    "Hoax: an act intended to make somebody believe something that is not true"

So tbf, for a guy who's not very articulate and who certainly doesn't have the oratory skills of his predecessor, I think he did just fine choosing 'Hoax' as the word to use whenever referencing any of the left's scurrilous (but as of yet so far unsuccessful) attempts at taking him down.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    So now when he's trying to say "I didn't mean Hoax hoax , I meant something that is not described in any way by the word Hoax at all" he's really only got himself and his limited vocabulary to blame...

Only got himself and his limited vocabulary to blame, are you serious? In almost any other setting it would be seen as bullying to lie about someone just because they are vulnerable to it and so no, I don't accept your premise. If people claim that he said something which he hasn't, then THEY are to blame for that and it doesn't matter who they are or what their intentions are either, be it the NYT or Joe Biden. The latter the more incredulous of the two with regards to the latest claim given that in Jan at a rally Joe suggested that the China travel restrictions was just 'fear mongering' and proof positive of Donald Trump's 'xenophobia':

https://twitter.com/bennyjohnson/status/1238153685991141379

And it's not just the US media, or Presidential campaigns of course, as only yesterday a user on this thread said:
    banie01 wrote: »
    That Trump spent more time labelling the virus as a hoax ..

So no, I don't accept that this is justifiable just because they guy is inarticulate or any of the other excuses that are used to justify lying about him and quite frankly I find it shocking how groups of people can chat about about such things and all agree with one another despite them knowing that what they are saying is false or at the very least, highly likely to be so. It seems fairness goes right out the window when it comes to Donald Trump. I have honestly never seen anything like what I have witnessed over the last almost four years now with regards to how a good chunk of the public will so easily partake the tearing down of an individual based on little or no evidence of them having done or said the things they are accused of doing or saying.

Which brings me back to what I keep saying: if Trump is so bad, why do people constantly seem to feel the need to deliberately misrepresent him all the time. Surely if he is all that it is claimed on this thread, the truth of what he does and says would be more than enough, but yet it just never seems to be does it.
    Do you think he and his administration are doing a good job tackling it?

I think that no matter what he did fault would be found with it by some.

Have no time for Leo but there's not a chance I would knock his efforts to deal with the virus just because of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Which brings me back to what I keep saying: if Trump is so bad, why do people constantly seem to feel the need to deliberately misrepresent him all the time. Surely if he is all that it is claimed on this thread, the truth of what he does and says would be more than enough, but yet it just never seems to be does it.

Exactly the rubbish he is spouting daily at the task force briefings is enough for us all to see he should not be in a presidential role.

Having the president make clear he's willing to let people die if he doesn't receive compliments from the governor must surely leave a sour taste in the mouth of most Michigan voters.

Do really believe that Donald Trump is willing to let people die unless he receives a compliment?

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you only seen the CNN footage which Chris Cuomo chopped up and which quoted Trump out of context, to imply that he himself wanted to be shown appreciation but here's the full quote:

https://twitter.com/FrancisBrennan/status/1243670788399644672

So similarly to how they misrepresented what he said at Charlottesville in order to make it look like he was talking about people he made very very clear he wasn't, the media did the same last night and chopped out the line about Pence, the Coronavirus taskforce, Army corps etc.

Again, if he so bad, why the need for these MSM folk to constantly misrepresent him like this. They're shameless.

I really do believe that Trump is willing to let people die for incredibly stupid reasons.

everlast75 wrote: »
    The same people who say that Trump was a straight shooter, he didn't spout politician talk, he tells it like it is, also have to come out and explain that he didn't say what we heard him say.

You couldn't possibly have heard him say that the virus was a hoax, as he never said it, nor did he even impy it.

No mop and bucket needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

On other matter, Comfort is scheduled to berth in New York on Monday.

The last above should be good news for NYC, even if Comfort is just out of mothballs after 911. Re Don and the presidency, it denigrates the office if its holder acts the fool and idiot so regularly. I'd have assumed until now that the presidency and its holder were a "married" pair. If the present president is not seen as important to the people of the US then there should be no problem with removing the office from his grasp in Nov.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

You couldn't possibly have heard him say that the virus was a hoax, as he never said it, nor did he even impy it.

Here's a list of exact quotes from Trump since late January:

22nd January: "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China"
    30th January: "We've pretty much shut it down, coming in from China"
    10th February: "You know, in April it supposedly dies, with the hotter weather"
    25th February: "The 15, within a couple of days, is going to be down to close to zero"
    27th February: "It's going to disappear one day, like a miracle, it'll disappear"
    2nd March: "They're going to have vaccines, I think, relatively soon" (to a campaign rally)
    6th March: "Our numbers are lower than just about anybody"
    14th March: "No, I don't take responsibility at all"
    15th March: "It'll all be great, we're gonna be so good"

And next comes the best one, after almost two months of belittling and dismissing the impact that the virus could have:

17th March: "It's a pandemic, I've felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic".

Happy to continue to provide ridiculous and false quotes from Trump if you like. The best thing he could do would be to just shut up, stop talking and let his narcissistic personality disorder take a back seat for a few weeks. The constant nonsense coming from the White House is going to cost lives, unfortunately.

Do you think there is NO chance that Don might have used the word "hoax" in direct reference to the virus instead of, as you are stating, direct reference to the media reporting of his words as fake and misleading? Remembering Don [as president] is the person who introduced the word "hoax" in direct connection to the Coronavirus outbreak in the US, do you think the words of the president should not be seen as having [and be reported on] as important and consequential?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I will focus on a POTUS that denied there was even a problem until it was too late..

Simply not true and Fauci has made it clear on numerous occasions that Trump has always done what was requested, going back to the initial China travel ban which Fauci believes was crucial:

https://twitter.com/Chellaney/status/1241041244710551552

Worth remembering that when the Trump administration was taking these crucial early steps, certain fractions of the left were complaining amount how many white people were on the coronavirus taskforce:

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1222964716320018436

To give context, just two weeks before Trump initiated the China flight restrictions, it was still believed that there was no clear evidence that there was human-to-human transmission of the coronavirus:

https://twitter.com/WHO/status/1217043229427761152

So if anything, given that just two weeks later the Trump administration had kicked into high hear and had set up a taskforce, initiated travel restrictions and declared a state of emergency, I think it's therefore farcical to say that Trump denied there was a problem until it was too late. His actions (and that of his administration) say far different. Truth is nobody knows also how bad the situation would be in the States now had Trump not made the decisions he did. Every reason to think, as Fauci suggests, that they would be far worse.

South Korea had its first positive as the US, Jan 22nd as shown above.
    Now look where it's at now
    https://google.com/covid19-map/?hl=en

SK did a lot more testing than the US but yet has about half the positives per M.
    SK 144 deaths US 1,997

All down to a lack of leadership.

• Advertisement

Looking at the latest public speech by Don, made beside the docking/docked USNS Comfort [a 1000 bed hospital ship] mentioning his possible federal actions in connection with the virus outbreak, he made reference to quarantining the three States in the NY area, not a borough of NYC or the city itself but THREE COMPLETE STATES of the US NATION. Governor Cuomo seems to have been blindsided by the presidents words and the message contained there-in.

Knowing his words can/should be seen as off-the-cuff remarks, it doesn't take away from the fact he KNOWINGLY MADE them as the President and as made clear by his past and present Admin team members and W/H staffers, they are official statements from the US President. His speech was not a Q&A session, it was a rostrum speech made in his usual parsed manner. Is it a statement that he might federalize the N/G units now working as part of the outbreak containment operation in the three state area and use them to show he's taking charge of the situation from the state authorities? I cant see how else he could ensure effective quarantining the three states from the other neighbouring states.

PropJoe10 wrote: »

22nd January: "We have it totally under control. It's one person coming in from China"
    25th February: "The 15, within a couple of days, is going to be down to close to zero"
    27th February: "It's going to disappear one day, like a miracle, it'll disappear"
    2nd March: "They're going to have vaccines, I think, relatively soon" (to a campaign rally)

And next comes the best one, after almost two months of belittling and dismissing the impact that the virus could have:

17th February: "It's a pandemic, I've felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic".

Happy to continue to provide ridiculous and false quotes from Trump if you like.

They're not false quotes. Just out of context ones. Not sure what your point is though. That because Trump says things like the above, when clearly trying to put a positive spin on things, that it's therefore okay to lie about him having said things which he has not said? Well, it's not, it never is and by the way, the majority of the above have been used in articles to claim Trump has meant things which he did not, particularly the 'responsibility' and the '15 down to zero' ones. Them two alone were milked for all they were worth.
    The best thing he could do would be to just shut up, stop talking and let his narcissistic personality disorder take a back seat for a few weeks. The constant nonsense coming from the White House is going to cost lives, unfortunately.

Nah, the media watching a two hour presser each day and then nit picking one quote from it so they can then use it to misrepresent the POTUS, just so they can undermine him in the hope it will help their candidate in November, is what needs to stop. Even Fauci called on the media to stop trying to drive a wedge between him and Trump. Hard to believe that as people die there are still some that will use the situation in that way but here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

PropJoe10 wrote: »

17th February: "It's a pandemic, I've felt it was a pandemic long before it was called a pandemic".

That bolded one was actually March 17th, Paddies Day was when Trump backtracked and became prescient.

Despite his prescience, he spent 2 months downplaying the threat and doing SFA to actually prepare the US.

@Pete, how are the US infection rates looking?
    I find it quite surprising that the great leader has allowed anyone at all to fall ill?

Given his strident denials of any pandemic issue at all, until he announced that he knew it was going to be one for months?

They're not false quotes. Just out of context ones. Not sure what your point is though. That because Trump says things like the above, when clearly trying to put a positive spin on things, that it's therefore okay to lie about him having said things which he has not said? Well, it's not, it never is and by the way, the majority of the above have been used in articles to claim Trump has meant things which he did not, particularly the 'responsibility' and the '15 down to zero' ones. Them two alone were milked for all they were worth.

If he spoke what was reported by the media using his own words, they cant really be lies now, can they?

Nah, the media watching a two hour presser each day and then nit picking one quote from it so they can then use it to misrepresent the POTUS,

I watch them myself. No need for nitpicking or misrepresentation. They are streamed live in their entirety and on YouTube in their entirety right now. No need for MSM.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

US death toll hits 2,000, doubles in two days
    It'll all be great, we're gonna be so good

Where did I say that, Pete? I'm simply pointing out that Trump has lied and misled the American public for over two months now. If his words about the "hoax" are being misconstrued by certain media outlets, that's obviously to be condemned. I don't appreciate people spinning what Trump says, as it does damage. Just the same as I don't appreciate the POTUS making obviously false and ridiculous statements, which he's done throughout this entire crisis.

You're basically saying that it's okay if Trump tells lies as long as it makes people believe that everything is okay. He's been contradicting his professionals from day 1 with absolute and utter nonsense. That's not okay when you're the POTUS.
    Nah, the media watching a two hour presser each day and then nit picking one quote from it so they can then use it to misrepresent the POTUS, just so they can undermine him in the hope it will help their candidate in November, is what needs to stop. Even Fauci called on the media to stop trying to drive a wedge between him and Trump. Hard to believe that as people die there are still some that will use the situation in that way but here we are.

More nonsense. You're picking out one quote that the media have allegedly used to make Trump look bad. Turn that around for a second. How do you feel about his quote about "knowing it was a pandemic before other people said it was a pandemic"? Is that more "putting a positive spin on things"?

Billy Mays wrote: »
    US death toll hits 2,000, doubles in two days

The numbers are frightening the last few days over there. Hopefully they get things under control but it really seems difficult once it gets in somewhere. Italy is harrowing to watch today with the army moving the coffins.

banie01 wrote: »
    That bolded one was actually March 17th, Paddies Day was when Trump backtracked and became prescient.

Despite his prescience, he spent 2 months downplaying the threat and doing SFA to actually prepare the US.

Thanks. Stupid typo on my part!

• Advertisement

Don has explained his quarantine remarks re the three states, he doesn't want New Yorkers moving down to Florida [where he has removed himself to as a state citizen]. He's using the actions by state and local civil authorities to contain the outbreak as justification for what he said he was considering doing as President, taking matters away from them and federalizing the control of the outbreak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement