Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Where did I say that, Pete? I'm simply pointing out that Trump has lied and misled the American public for over two months now.

Didn't say you said it. I asked you was that your point. Had you said "Hey Pete, what do you make of these quotes/lies?" that would be fine, but you quoted me where I had said that Trump did not call the virus a hoax and said "Here's a list of exact quotes from Trump since late January" as if somehow that was an argument against my calling out that lie. It's not.
    If his words about the "hoax" are being misconstrued by certain media outlets, that's obviously to be condemned. I don't appreciate people spinning what Trump says, as it does damage. Just the same as I don't appreciate the POTUS making obviously false and ridiculous statements, which he's done throughout this entire crisis.

Great, so you agree. Why not just complain about those other quotes separately so? There's no need to quote me to do so.
    You're basically saying that it's okay if Trump tells lies as long as it makes people believe that everything is okay.

In the post you quoted I never mentioned other things Trump has said. That's a different post. Did you quote the wrong one?

As for how do I feel about things which Trump has actually said: I've no real problem with anything he has said. Certainly don't see the so called "lies" cited as being malicious in nature, more just Trump speak and his desire to always be optimistic. He gave many pressers since mid Feb where Pence and Fauci spoke of the possible pandemic and how the US needed to be prepared and he would always nod along in agreement.

Then when it was his turn to answer questions he would just do what Trump tend to do and put things in his own words: we're the best, we're awesome, ready willing and able, regardless of what happens, we're totally ready, but the numbers are going down, but it could spread and be at a very small level or it could be at a larger level, I think that there’s a chance that it could get worse, there’s a chance it could get substantially worse, but we should all be prepared, get ready just in case etc etc. Not exact quotes but that's the jist of how he was in the pressers I saw.

Look, Trump is never going to be any different when it comes to his articulation and also his desire to always put the best side out. He does an awesome job and people seem to moan more about what he says than anything else. Obama had the gift of the gab and what good did that do? Exactly. Chap said Trump would need a magic wand to do some of the things he did in his sleep. Hopefully we'll soon see the back of this virus, or at least the worst of it. The Trump administration are doing a sterling job and if the MSM just got behind them rather than continue to play 'Get Trump' non-stop, then that would be best for all concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Pete, let me get this straight.

When Don says anything it is either a lie (or as you put it putting a positive spin on it", not what he meant to say, misinterpreted, or taken out of context.

So throughout his Presidency, Trump has done this and now in the midst of a pandemic he simply continues on regardless leaving people everywhere having to wade through ever statement like a reading of some ancient religious text?

And you think that is leadership?

When he said it was 15 and going to be quickly zero, what did he mean? or rather, what did you interpret what he meant?

It would appear that you put that as a positive spin statement? But how know which is which?

When he says he never did QPQ with Ukraine, which version is that?

Or when he says he has the virus under control, which was that?

This is the man that tells it like it is, wants get end PC nonsense?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Look, Trump is never going to be any different when it comes to his articulation and also his desire to always put the best side out. He does an awesome job and people seem to moan more about what he says than anything else. Obama had the gift of the gab and what good did that do? Exactly. Chap said Trump would need a magic wand to do some of the things he did in his sleep. Hopefully we'll soon see the back of this virus, or at least the worst of it. The Trump administration are doing a sterling job and if the MSM just got behind them rather than continue to play 'Get Trump' non-stop, then that would be best for all concerned.

Seriously, you wrote that with a straight face?

In March, 2 of the 3 biggest one-day collapses in Dow history occurred. Obama brought the US back from recession and the economic freezeup that nearly happened at the end of the GWB Administration. 27million *more* people had health insurance under Obama than when he started. Trump has blown through taxpayer $$ like a drunken sailor - this Stimulus, the unnecessary tax cut (unless you want to spike the Dow, which is all that was about, most of the $$ having been used to inflate share price.)

And Fox is big time behind Trump, they're the mainest of the main stream media.

Won't even address the documented lies. That's been done to death, but when you worship at the altar of the #IMPOTUS, you have to live with that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Great read on what all this might do to or do for Trumps re-election chances. He’ll either get a bounce or it will torpedo him. Some alarming stuff in here

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-donald-trump-triumph-or-disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Even if someone believed Trump was just putting a positive spin on things they couldn’t possibly think that downplaying it so people weren’t educated and prepared for this was a good idea. I just don’t believe anyone could really think that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

So let me get this right Pete because you're clinging on to these semantic arguments for dear life.

Trump didn't call the virus a hoax

He didn't call the threat a hoax

He called the criticism of him a hoax

And you agree because he deserves no criticism because on all matters related to covid 19, he and his administration have done a great job.

This is pretty much your position?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Runaways wrote: »
    Great read on what all this might do to or do for Trumps re-election chances. He’ll either get a bounce or it will torpedo him. Some alarming stuff in here

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/26/coronavirus-donald-trump-triumph-or-disaster

That guy the article quotes from the Washington think-tank, is he being sarcastic when he says, "the fact remains that no other western leader did better to anticipate the onset of the coronavirus"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Trump's personal attorney tweeted some nonsense about Chloroquine. Twitter deleted it. Remind me, Trump doesn't influence the discussion, right, and it's all up to individuals to take personal responsibility and and and...

https://mashable.com/article/twitter-removes-rudy-giuliani-coronavirus-tweet/?europe=true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

The Trump administration are doing a sterling job and if the MSM just got behind them rather than continue to play 'Get Trump' non-stop, then that would be best for all concerned.

You need to stop relying on MSM and "Francis Brennan (Text TRUMP to 88022)" for your opinions on Trumps task force briefings. You should sit and watch one.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Reactor

Anyone claiming he's doing a great job should read this list of ways that he completely wasted the critical 6 weeks leading up to now:

The missing six weeks: how Trump failed the biggest test of his life:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/28/trump-coronavirus-politics-us-health-disaster

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Igotadose wrote: »
    Trump's personal attorney tweeted some nonsense about Chloroquine. Twitter deleted it. Remind me, Trump doesn't influence the discussion, right, and it's all up to individuals to take personal responsibility and and and...

https://mashable.com/article/twitter-removes-rudy-giuliani-coronavirus-tweet/?europe=true
    Because of this unfounded b*llocks spouted and now by Rudy, patients who suffer from Lupus cannot access hydroxychloroquine which is essential to their treatment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

I’m not sure how the Federal quarantine of states idea would work, but the states themselves can do something similar. As of last week, by order of the Governor, anyone coming in to Texas from the New York area or New Orleans, must register, self-quarantine at that registered location, and DPS troopers will conduct random unannounced inspections to ensure compliance. Easily done at airports, I suspect DPS will be pulling over NY/NJ/CT plate cars at the State line.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I’m not sure how the Federal quarantine of states idea would work, but the states themselves can do something similar. As of last week, by order of the Governor, anyone coming in to Texas from the New York area or New Orleans, must register, self-quarantine at that registered location, and DPS troopers will conduct random unannounced inspections to ensure compliance. Easily done at airports, I suspect DPS will be pulling over NY/NJ/CT plate cars at the State line.

Federal quarantine of certain states would not be legal which is why Trump has already done his usual U-turn.

States can implement those kind of rules but like the China travel ban (that wasn't really a travel ban) it alone wont help much in stopping the virus but will provide some PR cover

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

It can’t be done. It was a typical Trump bluff.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Brian? wrote: »
    It can’t be done. It was a typical Trump bluff.

Can someone please advise why trump floated that idea before making it?

What positive purpose did it serve?

everlast75 wrote: »

It sounded like a good idea to him and something that feeds into the narratives that it appears that he is trying to push: a) that he is being proactive, b) that the spread is the fault of a few blue states/governors, c) that once current hot spots are dealt with other areas can go back to normal.

He rarely checks if something is true or possible before saying/tweeting it

Cuomo live now saying it panicked a lot of New Yorkers, they had a lot of calls.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Cuomo live now saying it panicked a lot of New Yorkers, they had a lot of calls.

Turns out his words have an effect. People need to realise that Trump's words have an effect. If he can't express thoughts and plans competently the US will pay. It is part of his job and an important part of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Christy42 wrote: »
    Turns out his words have an effect. People need to realise that Trump's words have an effect. If he can't express thoughts and plans competently the US will pay. It is part of his job and an important part of it.

Agreed.

It's a fairly simple calculus, to say what one means and to mean what one says.

Yet with Trump, his defenders will jump on interpretation.
    If a leader needs to have their wishes interpreted, that's not political leadership.
    It's a religion awaiting apotheosis.

If Trump can't keep on message, keep him away from the mic!

Trump's waffle has cost time, preparedness and worst of all lives.
    It will cost a lot more in the US before this burns out.

Christy42 wrote: »

Like I said in my post above about the Lupus suffers not being able to access medication

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1244309931874017280

Looks like the Task Force Briefing is 5PM ET today, so 10pm here (?) for anyone wanting to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1244309931874017280

Looks like the Task Force Briefing is 5PM ET today, so 10pm here (?) for anyone wanting to see it.

Hilariously I suspect one lunatic did say that, in fact he tweeted it.

Midlife wrote: »
    So let me get this right Pete because you're clinging on to these semantic arguments for dear life.

Trump didn't call the virus a hoax

He didn't call the threat a hoax

He called the criticism of him a hoax

And you agree because he deserves no criticism because on all matters related to covid 19, he and his administration have done a great job.

This is pretty much your position?

Never be surprised at the stupidity and devotion of Trump supporters, those that nail their colours to the mast and those that claim not to like him but defend him on every occasion.

Same type of people complaining about food being handed out to people on O'Connell street by charity groups in other threads on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1244320570315018240?s=19

What the ever loving **** is wrong with them?

I'm very serious question by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

My differential diagnosis:

1. Narcissistic Personality Disorder

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fifth Edition (DSM-5, 2013) indicates that a person with NPD possesses at least five of the following nine criteria, typically without possessing the commensurate personal qualities or accomplishments for which they demand respect and status:

Grandiosity with expectations of superior treatment from other people
    Continually demeaning, bullying and belittling others
    Exploiting others to achieve personal gain
    Lack of empathy for the negative impact they have on the feelings, wishes, and needs of other people
    Fixation on fantasies of power, success, intelligence, attractiveness, etc.
    Self-perception of being unique, superior, and associated with high-status people and institutions
    Need for continual admiration from others
    Sense of entitlement to special treatment and to obedience from others
    Intense envy of others, and the belief that others are equally envious of them[7][10]

2. The, until now theoretical, Malignant Narcissism

Malignant narcissism is a psychological syndrome comprising an extreme mix of narcissism, antisocial behavior, aggression, and sadism.[1] Grandiose, and always ready to raise hostility levels, the malignant narcissist undermines families and organizations in which they are involved, and dehumanizes the people with whom they associate.[2]

3. Neurosyphilis

All washed down with immense psychological damage inflicted by his father

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Wow. He's bigging up his ratings.

Just let that sink in. There's a Pandemic, today it was called that somewhere up to nearly a quarter of a million Americans will die.

Trump is celebrating because lots are tuning in to his nightly broadcasts on the matter.

This is what's important.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Just let that sink in. There's a Pandemic, today it was called that somewhere up to nearly a quarter of a million Americans will die.

Trump is celebrating because lots are tuning in to his nightly broadcasts on the matter.

The polling averages though, depressingly, do not show him being roasted over the coals for his behaviour. They should, but the people are rowing behind him. I guess the "war"rhetoric is working. For now.

Babbling about ratings is particularly, specifically deviant behaviour mind you .

At this stage, I'm not sure if he knows the difference between viewer figures and approval ratings

His twitter going a bit mad. The briefing later could be very interesting! Or will what he's on have worn off by then?

• Advertisement

Shows just how warped his mind is.

People are watching because approximately 150 million people in the US are under stay at home orders and are fearing for their family's safety but he thinks it is all about him

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement