Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Igotadose wrote: »
    Seriously, you wrote that with a straight face?

In March, 2 of the 3 biggest one-day collapses in Dow history occurred. Obama brought the US back ....

March?? You're citing economic stats which have resulted from the coronavirus pandemic and using them as a basis for the claim that Trump is not a good POTUS? lol.

Sure not so long ago we han Obama trying to take credit for Trump's success on Twitter. The chap that said Trump would need a magic wand. Over three years into Trump's tenure and he was effectively saying 'I did that!'. Embarrassing.

Let's go a touch shall we, before your straw clutching stats, for these ones:
    Productivity up 1.7% in 2019, best gain in nine years

U.S. productivity rebounded in the final three months of last year, helping to boost productivity growth for the year to the best showing in nearly a decade.

The Labor Department’s Bureau of Labor Statistics said Thursday that productivity grew at an annual rate of 1.4% in the October-December quarter, reversing the direction of a 0.2% drop during the third quarter.

For the year, productivity increased 1.7%, up from 1.3% advances in both 2017 and 2018. While a 1.7% rise in productivity is considered modest, it was the best annual showing since a 3.4% advance in 2010.

Lowest average unemployment rate in history:
    trumpur.png

Minority unemployment at record lows:
    Black and Hispanic unemployment is at a record low

There have never been more Black and Hispanic Americans in the workforce, Friday’s Labor Department job report showed.

The jobless rate for Hispanics hit a record low of 3.9% in September, while African Americans maintained its lowest rate ever, 5.5%.

The Hispanic women unemployment rate was 3.8% in September and the Black adult women jobless rate was 4.6%.

The unemployment rate for Asian Americans was 2.5% in September. The jobless rate for adult women came in at 3.1%.

Another bright-spot of the report was the overall unemployment rate. The jobless rate dropped 0.2 percentage points to 3.5%, its lowest reading in 50 years.

In December, while the left was hoping they 'finally had him':
    Dow, S&P 500 and Nasdaq clinch closing records as investors shrug off Trump impeachment

All three benchmark U.S. stock indexes scored record highs again Thursday, unfazed by President Donald Trump’s impeachment, while finding ongoing support from the U.S.-China trade deal, the passage of the USMCA trade deal to replace NAFTA by the House, and improving economic data.

Year-to-date the Dow is now up 21.65%, the S&P 500 index up 27.86% and the Nasdaq up 33.94%.

So, like I said, Trump is doing a sterling job and here's hoping he steers America through these difficult times and gets to kick it in the Oval for another four years. Lord knows he deserves it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

March?? You're citing economic stats which have resulted from the coronavirus pandemic and using them as a basis for the claim that Trump is not a good POTUS? lol.

Sure not so long ago we hand Obama trying to take credit for Trump's success. Over three years into Trump's tenure and Obama's effectively saying 'I did that!'. Embarrassing.

So, like I said, Trump is doing a sterling job and here's hoping he steers America through these difficult times and gets to kick it in the Oval for another four years. Lord knows he deserves it.

How many people are working more than one job though?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Several posts deleted and sanctions issued. Please be civil and constructive.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Sure not so long ago we han Obama trying to take credit for Trump's success on Twitter. The chap that said Trump would need a magic wand. Over three years into Trump's tenure and he was effectively saying 'I did that!'. Embarrassing.

Quoting unemployment rates on the same week that 3.3 million people declare unemployment? Are you serious? source

Maybe if the Dear Leader had listened to the world's most resourced intelligence agencies back in January and acted proactively instead of the constant state of denial there might have been some attempts made to lessen the burden of this.

The journalist who had the "temerity" to ask Trump about his own words in Sunday's briefing is getting attacked over on Twitter.

It's remarkable how anyone could see her today and suggest that she was attacking the president, was rude and tried to hog the microphone.

https://twitter.com/Yamiche/status/1244413018026491905

The irony of Trump suggesting to her to “Be nice. Don't be threatening" is quite something even for him. He said it literally just after demeaning her career.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Lowest average unemployment rate in history...
    Given the circumstances under which you've posted the above figures, I'm curious about something.

On Jan 1st, 2011 the month before Obama was inaugurated, the unemployment rate in the US stood at 9.1% according to figures pulled from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. As you can see from chart, over the course of the next eight years the number was reduced to 4.7%, a figure recorded on Jan 1st, 2017, the month before Trump was inaugurated.

In the hypothetical scenario where term limits do not apply and Obama won a third term, continuing the policies of this previous eight years, do you believe that trajectory would have continued and/or how close to the figure of 3.6% recorded in Jan 1st this year, do you think the US would be at?

It now seems missing/found respirators and PPE is the new attack on NY and Cuomo. Seeing it pop up a bit on Twitter and YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxXnfwwlFWg

First time I've seen Cuomo conference. It's night and day with Trump's.

What time are these usually held Irish time?

EDIT: https://youtu.be/DxXnfwwlFWg?t=949

He's capable (like all people who aren't sociopaths) to pay tribute to dead frontline workers. Imagine Trump doing that?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,399 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I'm sure precarious employment is well represented in that data to!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Pete, what metric are you using to get to the position of Trump doing a sterling job?

Is it just your view or is it based on something measurable?

What do you think is happening when he is coming out with statements just as 15 down to zero or open by Easter only to have to go in completely the opposite direction? Is it a failure of the information he is being presented with or something else?

Because I would be pretty worried about what POTUS is being told if only a few weeks after telling the country there would soon be zero cases he is no advocating that 100k deaths is a success relative to what could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

By that logic the leaders of any country that doesn't do as well as South Korea somehow made the wrong choices. Ironically, a very unscientific view.

No, plenty of countries have messed up their response.

Funny, I don't see you saying they're doing great.

I also don't see their politicians saying they've done best job in the world.

For me, you're the political version of a kid at a wrestling match with a home made poster.

Deep down you know this is all bull. But you cheer for your guy and boo the bad guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

The crazy thing is he is beginning to set up the scenario that if 2m Americans do not die that his handling of the virus will be a success as he will claimed he saved the difference between that 2m and those who died.

How crazy is that and the even crazier thing is there will be plenty in the US and on here that will believe that and deem it a success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Jayzee.

kilns wrote: »
    The crazy thing is he is beginning to set up the scenario that if 2m Americans do not die that his handling of the virus will be a success as he will claimed he saved the difference between that 2m and those who died.

How crazy is that and the even crazier thing is there will be plenty in the US and on here that will believe that and deem it a success.

It's all about him positioning himself to be seen to get on top of this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Jayzee. wrote: »

All while contorting himself to be able to blame everyone else when it goes bad. And it will get really bad.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hitler brought the German unemployment rate from 30% to near zero during his reign.

Sure wasn't he a tremendous leader altogether.

Loads of similarities between the construction of the autocratic state in germany to the one trump is presiding over currently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

You think reporters should talk over the President of the United States?
    No. I think they should shout repeatedly over him to make their point and I'd certainly give them a pass if they walked up and punched him in the face becuse somebody should definitely do it.

Obsequious, forelock tugging, soup taking, robotic "deference" like yours is the exact respnse fascists like in their subjects.

It's how the British got away with so much for so long here and how Vichy France thrived.

The journalist who had the "temerity" to ask Trump about his own words in Sunday's briefing is getting attacked over on Twitter.

Obviously she's getting personal abuse on Twitter, Trump supporters hate black people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Trump supporters talking up the economy is tragic. In a few months hundreds of thousands of Americans will be dead from Coronavirus. People are already dying in New York because they can’t get treatment. His handling of this or lack of will cause many deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Absolutely. Playing the same game Trump and his supporters play. He was President at that time, everything that happens at that time is on him. Everything. He's 100% responsible for protecting Americans from threats foreign and domestic.

How's sterling done while Trump's been President :D?

How many Americans died from a global virus threat (Ebola for example) during Obama's tenure? Reasonable comparison by the 'Trump rules.'

MadYaker wrote: »
    Trump supporters talking up the economy is tragic. In a few months hundreds of thousands of Americans will be dead from Coronavirus. People are already dying in New York because they can’t get treatment. His handling of this or lack of will cause many deaths.

And that's the intention. I keep saying this but people need to view Trump not through the frame of incompetence but of evil - and through no other frame.

There is nothing incompetent about his regime. The whole point is to ensure the triumph of things that are objectively evil - massive corruption, virulent racism, rejection of science, rejection of reason, rejection of truth, even the effective deliberate murder of hundreds of thousands of Americans, the majority of whom voted for him.

The whole lesson of World War II was NOT "we should never again remotely compare anybody to Hitler until he has committed another Holocaust".

It was "never again".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Jayzee. wrote: »

Hopefully he asks for consent first.

When 9/11 happened, Bush's approval rating sky rocketed to 90%.

Trump's current rating is above average.

He can do his best as he always does to lie his way out of it. But there's footage of him failing as a President. And they will formulate the adverts to remind them of how he completely botched this.

PS - the posts on here saying that reporters should be civil to him after he endangered their lives by calling them the enemy of the people. Hilarious. It's called "doing your job". Maybe he should try it.

• Advertisement

Trump supporters talking up the economy is tragic

Agreed. What is *really* important is his ratings!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

kilns wrote: »

Yes this is exactly what I noticed last night. It was quite disgusting to watch it unfold live in front of me. A new low?

People defending him now should be ignored as they are clearly not being honest, the thread should just ignore them/him.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Yes this is exactly what I noticed last night. It was quite disgusting to watch it unfold live in front of me. A new low?

People defending him now should be ignored as they are clearly not being honest, the thread should just ignore them/him.

Nah we shouldn’t block out dissenting voices. That’s what trump supporters do. It’s why a lot of them have such closed minds. There needs to be two sides to every debate.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Agreed. What is *really* important is his ratings!!!!!

Ha yes. I've been using the worldometers site to keep up to date with the figures relating to coronavirus. However last nights figures that trump kept going on about where all new to me. Is there a site that has all the up to date TV viewer numbers for coronavirus updates by country :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

Donal Trump really is a despicable person, no other way to describe him, and as for the people who support him... just putting their hands up and admitting to being a cretin. So fcking sad...:(

Nah we shouldn’t block out dissenting voices. That’s what trump supporters do. It’s why a lot of them have such closed minds. There needs to be two sides to every debate.

I dunno with actual footage of the earth available to everyone, its tiring to debate if it is flat or not.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Hopefully he asks for consent first.

When 9/11 happened, Bush's approval rating sky rocketed to 90%.

Trump's current rating is above average.

He can do his best as he always does to lie his way out of it. But there's footage of him failing as a President. And they will formulate the adverts to remind them of how he completely botched this.

PS - the posts on here saying that reporters should be civil to him after he endangered their lives by calling them the enemy of the people. Hilarious. It's called "doing your job". Maybe he should try it.
    When the time comes there should be a massive class action lawsuit by the families of the victims of COVID-19 against Trump and the Trump family for spreading the active disinformation which helped ensured the deaths of those loved ones.

It should be the biggest court case in American history and take every effing penny the Trump family has off them. None of it has been honestly earned anyway.

Trump is quite literally the deadly enemy of the American people.

When the time comes there should be a massive class action lawsuit by the families of the victims of COVID-19 against Trump and the Trump family for spreading the active disinformation which helped ensured the deaths of those loved ones.

It should be the biggest court case in American history and take every effing penny the Trump family has off them. None of it has been honestly earned anyway.

Trump is quite literally the deadly enemy of the American people.

Reporting suggests those working in Fox are concerned about how they handled the information about the virus from the get go.

If ever there is a case brought the discovery would reveal the internal memos, which would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I still don't think the reporters should start shouting at or talking over Trump during the briefings, because that's not going to matter to Trump. He'll still refuse to answer the questions, he won't retract anything he says, and he'd probably just walk away. Then that gives him just cause to attack the media further, call them rude and nasty (and actually have video clips to justify saying that), and he'll just fill the press briefings with Fox, Brietbart and OAN.

Attacking him at the press briefings, as much as many of us would want to see it, will not change anything for the better. Let him hang himself with his own words as he currently and continuously does. Last night he implied NY are low on masks etc because people working at the hospitals are stealing them. Don't question him on that statement, just report his statement. Spread his own words and let his own words do the damage to him. Some might wave it off as Trump speak, or trying to put a positive spin on things, or he drank too much apple juice or something, but his own words will do more damage to him than reporters trying to shout a question at him that he's simply not going to answer anyway. All that will do is allow him to claim the media is biased against him, trying to take him down, and lying about his incompetence/willful ignorance.

Report his own words, because his own words are worse than what a reporter can shout at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Igotadose wrote: »
    Absolutely. Playing the same game Trump and his supporters play. He was President at that time, everything that happens at that time is on him. Everything. He's 100% responsible for protecting Americans from threats foreign and domestic.

How's sterling done while Trump's been President :D?

How many Americans died from a global virus threat (Ebola for example) during Obama's tenure? Reasonable comparison by the 'Trump rules.'

Remember on one of the days the Dow went up during all of this he tweeted about it and tried to take credit as well. It was hilarious. About 5 days of crashing and it ticks up once and he tries to use it to prove his genius. The market crashing g around him and he still tried to say it was good.

Seriously he has used the stock market without really explaining what he did for years. He may suffer when it goes down too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement