Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

sydthebeat wrote: »
    I thought this morning that the USA would, in two days time, have more deaths due to corona than died in 9/11.

It looks like they will surpass that by the end of the day :(

This moron must be stopped!

And unfortunately it just happened... USA at 2989 right now.

And I fear this is just the tip of the ice berg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Yip, 38 million. Its 9.7 million.

He preceeded it by saying he knows more about Seoul than anyone.

A hilarious and very likely explanation for why he made that mistake. They are the most incompetent bunch

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1244750044391063552?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 28,455 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Foxtrol wrote: »
    A hilarious and very likely explanation for why he made that mistake. They are the most incompetent bunch

Oh, I don't know, it sounds very much like his usual number inflation habit - why say 9m when 38m bigs up the story better!

It does seem likely though that the number is the altitude, too much of a coincidence otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Foxtrol wrote: »

https://twitter.com/hasanthehun/status/1244750044391063552?s=20

That would be very on-brand, if true. I look forward to a tweet denying it, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

looksee wrote: »
    Oh, I don't know, it sounds very much like his usual number inflation habit - why say 9m when 38m bigs up the story better!

It does seem likely though that the number is the altitude, too much of a coincidence otherwise.

38th parallel universe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

The ceo during the press briefing is from the My Pillow infomercials here in the US. Ffs we are truly fcked. Not a doctor or scientist but a fcking pillow infomercial guy.

https://youtu.be/3FqPmkq7_Ek

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

FatherTed wrote: »
    The ceo during the press briefing is from the My Pillow infomercials here in the US. Ffs we are truly fcked. Not a doctor or scientist but a fcking pillow infomercial guy.

https://youtu.be/3FqPmkq7_Ek

Don't worry - Kid Rock is tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Given that medics are having to put endotracheal tubes down the jugulars of infected and severely ill people, if they even have enough, then the imperative for journalists is to go for the jugular with the administration. If he had any cop on then any hard ball questions about his responsibility are easily shut down by saying words to the effect of "Questions about preparedness and our readiness must be addressed in future, we're in emergency mode so let's deal with events here and now and focus on efforts to contain this". He can't even do that and pathologically needs to maintain the "Alpha Man" mode of attitude which in reality is anything but Alpha. He's a con man masquerading as the big boss man. Every cult has a defence mechanism to contain exposing the truth and to maintain the fraud and front. Trump's cult of personality has always been to smear legitimate and expected criticism as fake news. The latest defence mechanism is to shut down any criticism of him or the admin as being snarky, rude and nasty i.e. that's a nasty question and you're a nasty person for asking it. It's so transparent and predictable that it's infuriating but more so the softly softly approach to the questioning. Thousands of people are dead and thousands more will die while this spoofer is actively self-congratulating himself in parallel. The low ball estimates are double the amount of Americans who died during the Vietnam War, they are over 30 times the amount who died on 9/11. Sobering. 

• Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

valoren wrote: »
    Given that medics are having to put ventilators down the jugulars of infected and severely ill people, if they even have enough ventilators, then the imperative for journalists is to go for the jugular with the administration. If he had any cop on then any hard ball questions about his responsibility are easily shut down by saying words to the effect of "Questions about preparedness and our readiness must be addressed in future, we're in emergency mode so let's deal with events here and now and focus on efforts to contain this". He can't even do that and pathologically needs to maintain the "Alpha Man" mode of attitude which in reality is anything but Alpha. He's a con man masquerading as the big boss man. Every cult has a defence mechanism to contain exposing the truth and to maintain the fraud and front. Trump's cult of personality has always been to smear legitimate and expected criticism as fake news. The latest defence mechanism is to shut down any criticism of him or the admin as being snarky, rude and nasty i.e. that's a nasty question and you're a nasty person for asking it. It's so transparent and predictable that it's infuriating but more so the softly softly approach to the questioning. Thousands of people are dead and thousands more will die while this spoofer is actively self-congratulating himself in parallel. The low ball estimates are double the amount of Americans who died during the Vietnam War, they are over 30 times the amount who died on 9/11. Sobering. 

Erm

Ventilators do not go down the jugular.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

I still can't see 100,000 dying in the US. I know who said it but it just seems mad given the current figures. Maybe they will jump exponentially even further. Certainly their infected figures are rising and the deaths are not stalling out yet unfortunately so it will likely rise for a while. So it is still a large number of deaths. 20,000 cases in a day is worrying. Only slightly behind the EU with a smaller population.

For anyone that says they have x number dying from the flu every year. Remember less Americans died on 9/11 and we still take our shoes off at the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Erm

Ventilators do not go down the jugular.

Fixed. The endotracheal tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Christy42 wrote: »
    I still can't see 100,000 dying in the US. I know who said it but it just seems mad given the current figures. Maybe they will jump exponentially even further. Certainly their infected figures are rising and the deaths are not stalling out yet unfortunately so it will likely rise for a while. So it is still a large number of deaths. 20,000 cases in a day is worrying. Only slightly behind the EU with a smaller population.

For anyone that says they have x number dying from the flu every year. Remember less Americans died on 9/11 and we still take our shoes off at the airport.

They aren’t testing much at all so the real number of cases is likely 10x or 20x higher when you consider how the virus spreads and how long they’ve had community transmission for. I feel sorry for them but the people who voted for this gobsh!te need to realise that you can’t just elect some orange reality tv star to your highest political office and expect everything to be fine. Good governance is important at all times and essential at times like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

A big part of the issue is that by constantly saying how under control they have everything and what a great job they're doing, people are likely to get complacent and not treat it as seriously as they should be. Plus the attempt to kowtow to big businesses and prematurely get people back to work. Add in a slight "This is America and I have the freedom to do whatever I want!" factor and it's a whole recipe for disaster.

Sadly, I think 100,000 is pretty much the minimum that will have died from it in the US by the end of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,619 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is hard to imagine it alright, but the evidence from other countries point very much to that level. Add in the lack of adequate response, the lack of testing, the lack of resources, the lack of seriousness that it is being treated by Trump and some governors.

Add in the feeling my some (spring break, religious orders etc) that it won't effect them and if it does sure its only a flu and you have a recipe for a disaster.

The only thing that may save them is that the extra few weeks that got will give a chance for a vaccine to be found in time to limit the biggest problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

If it’s only 100,00 they’ll be doing very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭jaykay74

MadYaker wrote: »

10000 dead would be a miraculous figure even compared to what Trump was saying a week or so ago about 15 cases going to 0.

Just imagine if the US reacted as quickly as South Korea, they could have kept the numbers under 1000 deaths I think. Pity about Trumps lack of action for those 6 weeks when he dismissed the threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

MadYaker wrote: »

I tend to agree. Looking at their obesity levels, and consequent comorbidities, I expect this virus to decimate many districts in urban areas.

There's a very informative US bariatric surgeon Duc C Vuong on YouTube doing extremely informative well-explained coronavirus clips for his audience. He's very direct and very blunt as to how he thinks this will pan-out.
    The clips are maybe 30 minutes or so but each topic is well covered.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Penn wrote: »
    A big part of the issue is that by constantly saying how under control they have everything and what a great job they're doing, people are likely to get complacent and not treat it as seriously as they should be. Plus the attempt to kowtow to big businesses and prematurely get people back to work. Add in a slight "This is America and I have the freedom to do whatever I want!" factor and it's a whole recipe for disaster.

Sadly, I think 100,000 is pretty much the minimum that will have died from it in the US by the end of the year.

This is absolutely a huge issue - His constant need to oversell minor insignificant positives is having a massive impact.

Compare to almost every other country on the planet where the leaders are laying out the absolute worst case scenarios to try to ensure that people understand how bad this is. He continues to minimise the potential impact and makes people think it's not a big deal and will be over soon...

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It is hard to imagine it alright, but the evidence from other countries point very much to that level. Add in the lack of adequate response, the lack of testing, the lack of resources, the lack of seriousness that it is being treated by Trump and some governors.

Add in the feeling my some (spring break, religious orders etc) that it won't effect them and if it does sure its only a flu and you have a recipe for a disaster.

The only thing that may save them is that the extra few weeks that got will give a chance for a vaccine to be found in time to limit the biggest problems.

Some positive steps taken on that front.

Florida Pastor Arrested After Defying Virus Orders
    MIAMI — Before the Rev. Rodney Howard-Browne, the pastor of a Pentecostal megachurch in Florida, held two church services on Sunday — each filled with hundreds of parishioners — lawyers from the sheriff’s office and local government pleaded with him to reconsider putting his congregation in danger of contracting the coronavirus.

The pastor ignored them, proceeding with the services at the River at Tampa Bay Church and even providing bus transportation for members who needed a ride.

On Monday, Sheriff Chad Chronister of Hillsborough County said he had obtained an arrest warrant for Mr. Howard-Browne for “intentionally and repeatedly” defying emergency orders mandating that people maintain social distance and stay at home.

The initial study conducted (I'll find the source) suggested 2 million would not be out of the realms of possibility.

Obviously very hard to imagine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

everlast75 wrote: »
    The initial study conducted (I'll find the source) suggested 2 million would not be out of the realms of possibility.

Think that was the Imperial College London study that said 200k to 400k in UK and 1.2M to 2.5M in US.

It was that report that got the UK to rapidly shift policy away from the Herd Immunity tripe and also what triggered Trumps "I knew it was a Pandemic before everyone else" guff.

• Advertisement

And the weird thing (not really given what we know about Trump) is that they are now using those studies to paint what might happen in a better light - sure 100k is terrible, but if we did nothing it would be 2m!

But of course that raises the very serious question as to why Trump did not treat this seriously before. He had the evidence from China, Italy and elsewhere. He had the information from his internal services. But he delayed, ignored and belittled the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

everlast75 wrote: »

And the frustrating thing is if he'd been up front about this pandemic and the potential consequences and mortality rates from the start, open to the medical experts about what they could see coming down the tracks and what they needed to do, he'd go down as a true American hero. Everyone would have rolled in behind him.

Astute, intelligent, wise, compassionate, true leadership.

Democrats would have looked treacherous going against him.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Think that was the Imperial College London study that said 200k to 400k in UK and 1.2M to 2.5M in US.

It was that report that got the UK to rapidly shift policy away from the Herd Immunity tripe and almost what triggered Trumps "I knew it was a Pandemic before everyone else" guff.

Yes, but that study simply gave additional credibility over what was expected. It wasn't anything 'new' as such. It is being painted, by the UK and the US, as the first time they had any idea of the issues, which is completely untrue.

Ireland, France, Germany etc etc, had been operating on the basis of what came out from that report for the previous number of weeks.

The UK and US can claim that this was a bolt out of the blue but it was never that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

I still can't see 100,000 dying in the US.
    For 100,000 to die in the States, you'd be talking about 300 deaths per million. Italy is currently at almost 200.

You'd have factors in both countries that will influence the final figure - the factors in common would be large cities (density) and tardiness of actions in the early days.

You also have individual factors - for Italy you have multi-generational families and for the US you have existing chronic health problems like diabetes and obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Then you have Jerry Falwell Jnr. , great Trump supporter, reopening Liberty University against state order, and a student testing positive.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/30/liberty-university-coronavirus-student-positive-jerry-falwell-jr

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Water John wrote: »
    Then you have Jerry Falwell Jnr. , great Trump supporter, reopening Liberty University against state order, and a student testing positive.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/30/liberty-university-coronavirus-student-positive-jerry-falwell-jr

11 students have symptoms now, lets see how many will test positive.

https://news.yahoo.com/nearly-dozen-liberty-university-students-020700565.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Falwell, another idiot who played down the seriousness of coronavirus.

There was some other evangelical minister in Virginia I read about who did the same, said it was all a ruse to harm Trump. He caught the virus and died last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Anyone think that th narrative will be it's the Dems fault as the impeachment hoax was a distraction?

Not saying it was a hoax or distraction myself but could well see it being trotted out by Trump and co.

Caegan wrote: »
    Anyone think that th narrative will be it's the Dems fault as the impeachment hoax was a distraction?

Not saying it was a hoax or distraction myself but could well see it being trotted out by Trump and co.

It's already their latest BS excuse.

The data points prove that this is nonsense.

And he was impeached. Therefore, it was not a hoax or a distraction.

It's just more nonsense. At this stage, they are throwing everything to the wall to see what sticks, like monkey sh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Caegan wrote: »

McConnell actually said it this morning in an interview.

They could try to use it but it is risky as you're admitting to being incompetent, not being able to do two things at once.

Trump would have to admit to being wrong about the response, which he rarely does.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement