Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Caegan wrote: »
    Anyone think that th narrative will be it's the Dems fault as the impeachment hoax was a distraction?

Not saying it was a hoax or distraction myself but could well see it being trotted out by Trump and co.
    Problem is the timing; the impeachment was over to early for that to really work. To many "empty" months between the two so to speak; not that I'm sure it will be used in a more "generic" such as "And after the failed impeachment now the Democrats are trying to go after him about his excellent Corona response" approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Nody wrote: »
    Problem is the timing; the impeachment was over to early for that to really work. To many "empty" months between the two so to speak; not that I'm sure it will be used in a more "generic" such as "And after the failed impeachment now the Democrats are trying to go after him about his excellent Corona response" approach.

Everybody needs to expect the very worst from the presidential campaign.

The details of exactly what narrative Trump will run on are irrelevant - however it's framed it will involve him being portrayed as an omnipotent "heroic" "wartime" leader who is being "persecuted by enemies of America".

He will run on a platform straight out of Nazi Germany/ North Korea/China/Stanist Russia/whatever you're having yourself.

And Biden (presuming he's the candidate) will be portrayed as a basically a senile, communist paedophile.

These will be the dominant narratives, and liberal media in the US will fall hook, line and sinker for them.

Expect the worst from Trump and the Republicans, always expect the worst - and even then it'll probably be worse than you can imagine when it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

I hadn't seen that Everlast. I ment impeachment hoax as from the right, never ment to insinuate that it was a hoax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

He will run on a platform straight out of Nazi Germany/ North Korea/China/Stanist Russia/whatever you're having yourself.

This rhetoric reminds me of a banned user called Hill16bhoy.

Don't worry, uncle corporate Joe will save the day against fascist Stalinist* Trump and remind minorities that they'll be put back in chains if the Republicans win the nomination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

peddlelies wrote: »
    This rhetoric reminds me of a banned user called Hill16bhoy.

What about my so called "rhetoric" did you disagree with, and why? Don't be shy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

What about my so called "rhetoric" did you disagree with, and why? Don't be shy.

How can people possibly disagree with your comment.

Even the most pro trump people accept that he runs an anti-immigrant, economic nationalism, fear based platform that demonised the other side.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,618 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Caegan wrote: »
    I hadn't seen that Everlast. I ment impeachment hoax as from the right, never ment to insinuate that it was a hoax.

I gotcha.

Nice set of data points here....

https://twitter.com/AmoneyResists/status/1245015734541062146?s=19

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Midlife wrote: »
    How can people possibly disagree with your comment.

Calling or implying Trump/Republican party is/are Fascist every other post doesn't make it true, Trump is a right wing populist who was a reality TV star a few years ago. He's been in power almost 4 years now and has gone through many major investigations, some of which could have removed him from office. His secret police haven't "got rid of" any political opponent nor has he subjected Citizens of the US to different treatment based on race or skin colour.

There is still a democracy in the US with a presidential election in November which he may win or lose. If you want any type of back and fourth dialogue between people with different viewpoints then I suggest growing up and using your words more carefully. This is not a defence of Donald Trump, he has proven over time to be incompetent as POTUS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Looking back on earlier times... Senator Chris Murphy was sounding alarms as early as Feb 5:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1225073987639705600

Meanwhile earlier, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross predicted the Coronavirus would boost jobs, lol:
    In response to a question on Fox Business News about whether the outbreak is a risk to the US economy Mr Ross said: "I don't want to talk about a victory lap over a very unfortunate, very malignant disease."

"The fact is, it does give business yet another thing to consider when they go through their review of their supply chain... So I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America,"
    https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51276323

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

FatherTed wrote: »
    Looking back on earlier times... Senator Chris Murphy was sounding alarms as early as Feb 5:

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1225073987639705600

Meanwhile earlier, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross predicted the Coronavirus would boost jobs, lol:
    In response to a question on Fox Business News about whether the outbreak is a risk to the US economy Mr Ross said: "I don't want to talk about a victory lap over a very unfortunate, very malignant disease."

"The fact is, it does give business yet another thing to consider when they go through their review of their supply chain... So I think it will help to accelerate the return of jobs to North America,"

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51276323

The quote from Wilbur Ross shows the real reason Trump brought in the China Travel ban - Not because he thought it was the right thing to do from a Public Health perspective , but because it was China and an opportunity to have a dig at them in his ongoing pointless trade war.

Not a chance in Hell he implements a travel ban in January if the country involved was somewhere other than China..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Foxtrol wrote: »
    McConnell actually said it this morning in an interview.

They could try to use it but it is risky as you're admitting to being incompetent, not being able to do two things at once.

Trump would have to admit to being wrong about the response, which he rarely does.

You're assuming republican voters have the intellectual honesty to realise he admitted anything.

There's always a tweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

CNN seem to have dropped the WH press briefing. It's running on Sky.
    Stop giving him oxygen, just deal with any policies or facts coming from it.
    Watched a good few, but in the last few days, it's gone downhill, if that's possible.
    The parade of CEOs was bloody awful.
    Ha CNN are taking DR. Birx, skipped Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    This is absolutely a huge issue - His constant need to oversell minor insignificant positives is having a massive impact.

Compare to almost every other country on the planet where the leaders are laying out the absolute worst case scenarios to try to ensure that people understand how bad this is. He continues to minimise the potential impact and makes people think it's not a big deal and will be over soon...

Some positive steps taken on that front.

Florida Pastor Arrested After Defying Virus Orders

Israel has the same problem of religious communities in denial. After two incidences of orthodox Jewish faith-believers attending funerals in a suburb of Tel Aviv contrary to Coronavirus health ordinances, there were calls from non-orthodox councillors for the suburb to be blocked-off and put in lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

VinLieger wrote: »
    This is where the mental illness discussion comes back as if you look at anything from the early 90s he was perfectly coherent albeit still a narcisistic douche

I dont think its a mental illness thing tbh. Look at Brois, he does similar. Says loads of words but says nothing at all. Boris goes for the bungling ah bless him visual. , all "ums" and "ahs" and "well you see" and just blubbers along for a bit till everyone moves on. Trump just waffles on about how great he is at everything with the same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Some grim numbers and models tonight.

Dr Birk saying the numbers are only a projection, using the numbers of illnesses and deaths in Italy, Dr Fauci backing her up in that regard. Dr Birk using graphs and projections[referencing June] to show the point of the estimates which can be reduced, Dr Fauci saying it's a maybe on more or less deaths, it depends on whether they can depress the curve. There's one noticeable difference in the briefing. the location and spacing between the reporters.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

peddlelies wrote: »
    Calling or implying Trump/Republican party is/are Fascist every other post doesn't make it true, Trump is a right wing populist who was a reality TV star a few years ago. He's been in power almost 4 years now and has gone through many major investigations, some of which could have removed him from office. His secret police haven't "got rid of" any political opponent nor has he subjected Citizens of the US to different treatment based on race or skin colour.

There is still a democracy in the US with a presidential election in November which he may win or lose. If you want any type of back and fourth dialogue between people with different viewpoints then I suggest growing up and using your words more carefully. This is not a defence of Donald Trump, he has proven over time to be incompetent as POTUS.

It's the platform he's running on.

If it's unclear I am not callingbtgevrepublician party fascist and don't believe the previous poster was either.

Mike Pence: we believe that New York may have had the virus earlier than we realised. He also made it clear that he was speaking as a layman, not an expert. He's trying to dodge the bullet of the difference of the earlier of 26 million test kits and the actual number of kits, 1 million, actually in existence. Dr Birk trying so soft-shoe an explanation that the 1 million referred to actual tests. Don putting his foot in it by saying that people were not sending back the tests.

Fauci is good to listen to.

Trump with - people would have been dying on airplanes and hotel lobbies if we'd have done nothing. He reckons it wouldn't have been practical? Need to revisit the transcript tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

He is a deranged lunatic, he is presenting the current course of action as full mitigation!

Claiming that his actions are reducing the death toll from 2.2million, to 100k to 200k and that those lives "saved" are down to his decisive action.

This is sheer propaganda that is seeking to present Trump as a saviour.

I am actually aghast at the con he is trying to pull here.

• Advertisement

Don has just admitted that this is not the flu. I might have misheard Don but I thought I heard him say people were saying "ride it out". Given what he said so recently about the virus, that's sickening.

Trump now telling us: This is not the flu!

*slow clap*

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Jesus H Christ!

Trump, the same Trump who tweeted this
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237027356314869761?s=19

Is claiming this isn't the flu, it's far worse than the flu...
    He is claiming other people wanted to ride it out?
    As opposed to what he said Less than 3 weeks ago!

He needs to be locked up!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Cody montana

aloyisious wrote: »
    Don has just admitted that this is not the flu.

During that March 4 call with Hannity, Trump also compared coronavirus with the flu. He mentioned that the flu kills anywhere between 27,000 and 77,000 people every year, implying that coronavirus isn’t as serious of a threat to public health as Influenza.

Trump:
    1. Denies WHO's coronavirus death rate based on “hunch"
    2. Calls coronavirus "corona flu"
    3. Suggests it's fine for people w/ Covid-19 to go to work
    4. Compares coronavirus to "the regular flu," indicating he doesn't get the difference

I would pre-order Fauci's book about his time working for Trump right now.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I would pre-order Fauci's book about his time working for Trump right now.

As long as he lives to tell the tale, his stress levels must be sky high.

That was great - Trump harping on about gas prices and investing in infrastructure and the dollar dollar bill y'all for the last few minutes.

Reporter: I want to get back to the virus

Brilliant.

Don keeps on tripping himself up by over-explaining his answer to Jim Acosta, when Jim has got the point, about the ventilators. Don: some hospitals think they need them when they don't need them but if they need them, we'll get them there before they need them.... FFS. This is scream at the screen stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Aww Fauci comes on and talks sense. And then the clown has to jump back in with some pure rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

What are the bets he’s going to hold back 10K ventilators so he can deploy them to swing states soon as they start reporting cases in numbers

Wouldn’t surprise me

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement