Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

Looks like I’m not alone. He is actually signaling that.
    I hope all this comes back to crush him in November. How can it not?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1245121357114818561?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 54,297 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Runaways wrote: »
    Looks like I’m not alone. He is actually signaling that.
    I hope all this comes back to crush him in November. How can it not?

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1245121357114818561?s=21

That Tweet should be on every billboard in America and maybe some American's might wake up to how disastrous of a president he's been

Well, better late than never. They are beginning to take this more seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

As the country continues to face down the ongoing pandemic caused by COVID-19, which thankfully has absolutely no relation to any kind of severe acute respiratory syndrome, it's good to see the Administration take action to enforce new environmental regulations for emissions from vehicles and engines alike, the rather reassuringly named, SAFE Vehicles Rule.

Andrew Wheeler, the current Administrator of the EPA, who definitely wasn't a lobbyist for Murray Energy, the fourth largest coal producer in the US which also happens to be owned by noted piece of **** Robert E. Murray (yes, that guy), for over eight years before becoming Deputy Administrator of the Agency, said in a statement:
    “Now, more than ever, this country needs a sensible national program that strikes the right regulatory balance for the environment, the auto industry, the economy, safety, and American families.

“[This rule] does all of those things by improving fuel economy, continuing to reduce air pollution, and making new vehicles more affordable for all Americans.”

It's going as well as one could expect...

Critics blast Trump mileage rollback, citing environment and health concerns

• Registered Users Posts: 23,171 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Headshot wrote: »
    That Tweet should be on every billboard in America and maybe some American's might wake up to how disastrous of a president he's been

Nothing will wake them up. It's a legitimate cult following.

He could walk into a hospital, start plugging out ventilators and his supporters would say he was saving hospitals money by reducing their electricity bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,618 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Caegan wrote: »
    Anyone think that th narrative will be it's the Dems fault as the impeachment hoax was a distraction?

Not saying it was a hoax or distraction myself but could well see it being trotted out by Trump and co.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    McConnell actually said it this morning in an interview.

They could try to use it but it is risky as you're admitting to being incompetent, not being able to do two things at once.

Trump would have to admit to being wrong about the response, which he rarely does.

Aaaannndd Trump has blown this excuse out of the water already..

https://twitter.com/DomenicoNPR/status/1245125551532228609?s=20

I swear to God, if you wanted to know where Trump's foot was, hand him a gun and look where he shoots...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,502 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Posted in another thread, why the hell haven't they shut down internal flights yet? How can they hope to contain anything without shutting down that level of intrastate travel?
    7592_460f_960.jpeg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Has it been asked of Trump as to why the US is projecting much higher infection/death rates than China with only a fraction of its population? 1.2billion vs 350million

The Chinese were able to control it with such a larger and more dense population

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Throughout his presidency I've always found him difficult to believe, he came across as a bit of a bluffer. He's gotten me a few times now the last week with interesting information that when googled turned out to be false. His "no one knows more about X than me" line usually means what's coming is false. Which is such a shame with anyone but with the President, I dunno. Any good interviews with him or books about why he is so insecure?

Here's an example from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-briefing/

Q Thank you, Mr. President. You said several times that the United States has ramped up testing. I’ll just talk a little quicker — or a little louder.

Mr. President, you said several times that the United States has ramped up testing, but the United States is still not testing per capita as many people as other countries like South Korea. Why is that? And when do you think that that number will be on par with other countries?

And Dr. —

THE PRESIDENT: Yeah, well, it’s — it’s very much on par.

Q Not per capita —

THE PRESIDENT: Look — look — per capita. We have areas of country that’s very tight. I know South Korea better than anybody. It’s a — very tight. Do you know how many people are in Seoul? Do you know how big the city of Seoul is?

Q But the question is about (inaudible).

THE PRESIDENT: Thirty-eight million people. That’s bigger than anything we have. Thirty-eight million people all tightly wound together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Has it been asked of Trump as to why the US is projecting much higher infection/death rates than China with only a fraction of its population? 1.2billion vs 350million

The Chinese were able to control it with such a larger and more dense population

Given the manner in which the press conferences have gone, I imagine the response would be something along the lines of "that's a very nasty question from Fake News <insert station here>, we're doing a fantastic job, I could run an airline great, better than you. But that's a really horrible question". Maybe throw in some passive sexism / racism if the asking journalist was a woman or non-white.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Given the manner in which the press conferences have gone, I imagine the response would be something along the lines of "that's a very nasty question from Fake News <insert station here>, we're doing a fantastic job, I could run an airline great, better than you. But that's a really horrible question". Maybe throw in some passive sexism / racism if the asking journalist was a woman or non-white.

And something about ships. I've haven't heard anyone talk so much about ships during this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

pixelburp wrote: »

In fairness I'd say the numbers being reported from China are likely as trustworthy as anything Trump would say, so I think it'd be a waste of a question for comparison anyway. China are probably lying about their numbers, and Trump would just lie about theirs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It will be interesting how he deals with the aircraft carrier Theodore Roosevelt as they are now reporting up to 100 sailors infected.

Penn wrote: »
    China are probably lying about their numbers, and Trump would just lie about theirs.

Trump already admitted to the *U.S.* using misinformation when he was talking about china doing the same on Fox and friends.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Throughout his presidency I've always found him difficult to believe, he came across as a bit of a bluffer. He's gotten me a few times now the last week with interesting information that when googled turned out to be false. His "no one knows more about X than me" line usually means what's coming is false. Which is such a shame with anyone but with the President, I dunno. Any good interviews with him or books about why he is so insecure?

Here's an example from: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-briefing/

Ah come on, give Donald a break. It's his first time being President and it's first Pandemic. We all mix up the elevation of Seoul for population every once in a while, even when not asked about it.

FibLnwZ.png

Ah come on, give Donald a break. It's his first time being President and it's first Pandemic.

Ha I know your joking - but I do agree it's a difficult time and people make mistakes, but his inability to admit wrong is horrendous to watch.

And you wouldn't want to have your life in the hands of someone who can't admit they are wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Trump saying Seoul has 38 million people is a deliberate distraction to stop people talking about really important matters.

Like why his divide and conquer tactic of getting states to bid against each other and the federal government has resulted in ventilators more than doubling in price from 20k to 50k.

That's pure maliciousness.

He wants people to talk about stupidity, not maliciousness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

You know the brits are screwing it up when the White House is using them as a bad example and what not to do. Donald took a swing at them and this

https://twitter.com/writersfrock/status/1245280159160324096?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Do we know what companies Donald has investments in?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,620 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

looksee wrote: »

No, not a clue. We don't know who is owes money to either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Not till we see his taxes will we know anything about his dubious businesses.

Runaways wrote: »
    You know the brits are screwing it up when the White House is using them as a bad example and what not to do. Donald took a swing at them and this

By any normal standards the Brits have screwed up but they look ultra professional compared to the Trump regime.

I'll quote the great man first...

"I’m the most transparent president in history" 05/22/2019

And then tell you that he has fought any and all cases regarding his taxes/finances all the way up to the Supreme Court, where the cases are currently stagnating.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

By any normal standards the Brits have screwed up but they look ultra professional compared to the Trump regime.

Well at least they stand apart at press conferences. like the bare minimum expectations .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Trump-Only for me 1-2 million would have died, now it's only 100,000-240,000.

That's what I took from last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,620 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No, you don't get it. He acted all sombre so it proves he is taking it really seriously now.

And he decreed that it is not just a flu, so at least we know that now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Thats how he will play this out. At the end, it will be "We could have had 7-8 million dead based on so-called experts numbers...I only got 2 million...wouldnt get those numbers from any other president...Obama wouldnt have got those numbers...those are some lovely numbers....truly wonderful numbers......CHY-NA....didnt have anywhere near those kinds of numbers....all me people, all me"
    everlast75 wrote: »
    I'll quote the great man first...

"I’m the most transparent president in history" 05/22/2019

And then tell you that he has fought any and all cases regarding his taxes/finances all the way up to the Supreme Court, where the cases are currently stagnating.

Ah but hey he said he would finally release his tax returns (which he said he couldnt as he was under IRS audit...even though the IRS said it was fine if he did) if he gets re-elected.....so thats something.

But yeah, I would look into the stocks of medical manufacturing companies and who bought them in the timeframe where Trump/Fox news were pumping out the "its a non-story" to the "its a catastrophe, I knew it was a pandemic before it was one".

Ditto General Motors, are they still the only company tapped to make ventilators so far? Wonder if some buddies of Trump made some strange turns into wanting stocks in car manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Leroy42 wrote: »
    No, you don't get it. He acted all sombre so it proves he is taking it really seriously now.

And he decreed that it is not just a flu, so at least we know that now.

They're going to proclaim him the saviour, aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of the main takeaways from yesterday's briefing; Trump knew how bad it could be but downplayed it in order to be positive and hopeful

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-admits-downplayed-coronavirus-i-knew-it-could-be-horrible-2020-3?r=US&IR=T
    At Tuesday's White House press briefing, Trump was asked if he lulled Americans into a false sense of security by telling the public that the virus would go away quickly, even as it was clear that the number of cases and death toll were on the rise.

"I knew everything. I knew it could be horrible, I knew it could be maybe good," Trump said. "I don't want to be a negative person."

"This is really easy to be negative about. But I want to give people hope too. You know I'm a cheerleader for the country — we are going through the worst thing that the country has probably ever seen," Trump said.

To those who might have previously excused Trump's downplaying of the impact of the virus as "Trump-speak, or trying to be positive etc", His words have serious consequences.

From the same article:
    Public health experts have previously excoriated Trump's early efforts to downplay the threat of the virus, stating that it robbed the US of valuable time needed to prepare for the pandemic — potentially costing thousands of lives.

Trump spent "two months of completely ignoring every bit of scientific advice," Dr. Ashish Jha, the director of the Harvard Global Health Institute, told Insider earlier this month. "We've wasted two months. And this is not a disease where you're allowed to waste two months."

Jha, a general internist who received his MD from Harvard Medical School, slammed Trump for telling Americans everything was "under control" when it "was very clear to anybody paying attention that it was not under control."

"I don't use these words lightly, and it's incredibly painful for me to say it," he said, adding: "The cost of all of this is that tens of thousands of Americans are going to die unnecessarily ... It was wholly preventable, and not just preventable in hindsight — it was preventable in foresight. Everybody said this is how it was going to play out if they didn't act."

He says he knew how bad it was going to be from the start. He pats himself on the back for stopping travel from China. Meanwhile, he held numerous rallies, took no other actions in order to try keep the Stock Market healthy, accused those trying to warn people about the severity of the virus of trying to do their best to damage his re-election chances, and just last week was trying to get people back to work by Easter.

His words and actions have undoubtedly results in tens of thousands more Americans dying from Covid-19 than otherwise would have. One cannot downplay the impact his "Trump speak" has had in this.

• Advertisement

Exhibit A of what the problem is with US political journalism.

https://twitter.com/BFriedmanDC/status/1245170751994544128

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement