Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭looksee

As he stands on a solidly packed stage surrounded by - whoever - he has the neck to talk about 'unsophisticated people in other countries who don't understand social distancing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Some good info, Trump is number 1 on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Lads, this is some fcuked up **** lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Wow he is number one on face book !!! So cool !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Where are the two Doctors to night is he afraid to let them on seeing there was a large death count to day. Are all these journalists in his pocket,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

So Ireland sends Aer Lingus planes to China to pick up PPE, while Trump makes an online shopping order for PPE with Walmart.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Popeleo wrote: »
    , while Trump makes an online shopping order for PPE with Walmart.

For gear that will be made in China anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

banie01 wrote: »
    For gear that will be made in China anyway ;)

And he's telling the head of Walmart that his order for PPE is unlimited, or in other words, 'please name your price to supply', such a deal maker

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Because they need to get a distraction out there for Fox to talk about. It's just a new speaking point.

I think it's more than that. MSNBC and CNN cut away from his press conference yesterday because of untruths about coronavirus

Now he can claim possible terrorist attacks and efforts to tackle the drug problem are being communicated through his press conferences and the "Fake News Media" ignore it and don't care about those issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Well that was surreal even by Donald's bizarre antics when speaking to the press

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,399 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

https://twitter.com/acosta/status/1245463763526062084?s=21

This just sums him up. He’s a ****ing joke. Gambling with peoples lives instead of money this time of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

signostic wrote: »
    Its surreal that they are discussing drugs when the USA face the biggest crisis in over 100 years...

They need to go two orders of magnitude higher on the fatalities before they're competing with WW2. Unless you're talking economic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Nothing matters, everything is going to be " bigger and better":D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

fullstop wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/acosta/status/1245463763526062084?s=21

This just sums him up. He’s a ****ing joke. Gambling with peoples lives instead of money this time of course.

This will make Don madder than hell, that Jim is quoting one of his advisers as saying Don took a fair weather gamble about the ability of the virus to gain a foothold in Americans and he lost. I see from todays CNN reportage that Jim was not at the briefing like he was yesterday, he might have his W/H pass taken away again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

kowloon wrote: »
    They need to go two orders of magnitude higher on the fatalities before they're competing with WW2. Unless you're talking economic.

Not really, US lost less than half a million in WW2.
    At a time of Nationalist fervour and most importantly, when there was no aversion to mass casualties.

When the body bags start piling up at home and the realisation dawns that a large portion of these deaths were wholly avoidable.
    That a 2 month headstart was thrown away.
    All on the hunch of a lunatic?

Can see quite a lot of kickback on that one when the body bags are being shared on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Yes there will be a backlash but the blame is already being set for deflection of responsibility. It's Chinas fault, the governors didn't do enough, GE weren't on point with production of ventilators and not forgetting placing blame at the previous administration. The thing with sociopathic narcissists is that even if Trump is obliterated in November he'll remain infallible, he'll have done a tremendous job etc

banie01 wrote: »
    Not really, US lost less than half a million in WW2.
    At a time of Nationalist fervour and most importantly, when there was no aversion to mass casualties.

When the body bags start piling up at home and the realisation dawns that a large portion of these deaths were wholly avoidable.
    That a 2 month headstart was thrown away.
    All on the hunch of a lunatic?

Can see quite a lot of kickback on that one when the body bags are being shared on social media.

400,000ish lost in WW2, last time I looked Covid-19 deaths were at 4,000ish (almost 5k now). I'm not saying the numbers won't rise, but it's not the worst crisis until people actually see that kind of body toll.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

400,000ish lost in WW2, last time I looked Covid-19 deaths were at 4,000ish (almost 5k now). I'm not saying the numbers won't rise, but it's not the worst crisis until people actually see that kind of body toll.

By the end of tomorrow twice the numbers of Americans that died in 9/11 will have died from this virus.

What death figure exactly will get them exercised? 10,000? 50,000? 100,000?

Where they are RIGHT NOW should be enough for any president to fall on his sword.... But no, this clown will blame everyone he can and never ever take any responsibility for any of it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I reckon if we see his taxes etc, we'll see he owns a scarf company :) he's really mad for scarves this week.

Mexican violence !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I would say it's certainly the worst crisis they have ever faced on home soil, which is what I took the OP to mean initially. It is certainly a very good shot to get close to if not go past the total world war 2 deaths too to be perfectly honest, the projections of best case scenario being 100k-200k and worst case scenario being 2.2m+ are based off full mitigation being adopted. This has not happened yet and doesn't seem like it will be any time soon.

I would say that either way you look at it, and especially when you consider the clown steering the bus it is certainly the worst crisis the USA has ever faced, the kicker being that it will be huge civilian death this time for the first time in their history, other than 9/11 which has already been surpassed the large casualties have always come from service men and women, not civilians who are supposed to be protected by their commander in chief, who you couldn't even say is asleep at the wheel as it would give him too much credit.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Trump has really turned this into a campaign add..... pretty bad taste

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Is it still on?

sydthebeat wrote: »
    By the end of tomorrow twice the numbers of Americans that died in 9/11 will have died from this virus.

What death figure exactly will get them exercised? 10,000? 50,000? 100,000?

Where they are RIGHT NOW should be enough for any president to fall on his sword.... But no, this clown will blame everyone he can and never ever take any responsibility for any of it himself.

That's the problem, the current numbers aren't being taken seriously across the board yet. There are plenty of people, and you'll see them on US forums, who don't get the big deal.
    I'm not trying to downplay it at all, but it has barely started and it'll have to get a lot worse for the holdouts to get worried.

Is it still on?

These conferences have gotten so bad... I will no longer be watching them

These conferences have gotten so bad... I will no longer be watching them

Where will you get your medical advice from? I would never have known that a scarf could actually be better than a mask until tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

The numbers are starting to explode in the US.

If they don't flatten the curve, and this doubling every 3 or 4 days continues, there mightn't just be 1 or 200 thousand dead in total. That could be the toll in a matter of weeks.

The problem here can't just be compared to war deaths. Deaths are unavoidable for COVID-19, so even in the best case scenario, you are working to mitigate the effects, but the bigger issue is that this isn't just the cock up of an otherwise competent administration.

I mentioned a few months ago, with the Iran tensions ramped up amid the assassination of Suleimani, that the true cost of a Trump presidency would be felt in a crisis situation like a war.

Trump has been blessed in that he was handed a skyrocketing economy by Obama, and pretty much nothing of substance landed on his desk. He quite possibly was dealt the easiest hand any President has been in a very very long time. And the world has been quite lucky that that has been the case.

But now we're seeing the cost of having a total ignoramus and incompetent in charge of a major country in a time of crisis, beyond the ordinary costs of a conservative government to the poor and minorities.

The concerns raised in the impeachment hearings about what would happen if there was a crisis and the president withheld aid on the basis of who would do him favours is now being borne out, with him again openly and brazenly acting against the constitution and his duty to his country by saying just that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    The fact your playing with flying this month as the US excuse the pun .. takes off in terms of cases shows how seriously this is being taken.

200k is evidently going to be surpassed which is an awful testament to the leadership in the US.

Mess.

Play with = modify. They were booked months ago. I've already postponed two trips, the question is what I'm going to do with the other two, cancel, or figure out when to postpone them to. The airlines are waiving the change fees, and are asking that if you're not scheduled to travel in the next 72 hours, leave the lines open for people who are.
    Would there be many standing in the way if they tried to pass emergency legislation? The last bill got passed pretty quickly considering the money involved, and personal freedom didn't stop the government when it was deemed essential, like the Patriot Act

No, but if there is anyone standing in the way, they will have the title of "Judge" and so will overrule the many. Case in point, a number of localities (generally anti-gun areas like California and New Jersey where there wasn't much public outcry) declared firearms shops as 'non-essential businesses' and ordered them closed a whiles back. Cue immediate legal action. Firearms shops are now open again as of this week. Constitution, and all that.

The legal protections for freedom of movement in the US are very strong. This is why no jurisdiction has placed a lockdown of the sorts seen in Europe or Asia. It simply wouldn't pass muster. If you look at the fine details of the "shelter in place" orders, you'll find that there's nothing really stopping interstate travel. Same with Patriot Act. When it hit the Supreme Court, final result 6-3, it was reasonably narrow in scope.
    If they were real men they would declare a coup and really protect their people from Trump the real criminal

Umm... The US is not Turkey or Thailand. The chances of a coup are basically nil at this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The downfall presently is in the testing and discovery rates in the labs with a lack of the needed test reagents. If you don't find out if you, he or she have been invaded by the virus spores then every-one is a suspect walking incubation box for the virus. No country will know who to quarantine to reduce the spread so the incremental spread will go on: 1 affects 3, 3 affect 9, 9 affect... and that's in: say 30 minutes at local level. Then there's the incubation period while the virus works it's way past your body's immune system before stage 2, the spore emissions.

Say that there are a hundred Covid-19 spores on a pinhead, work out how many pinheads are in an affected person's cough-emission and see that the person is coughing regularly. Extrapolate that to town, city and nation level and then to countries world-wide. Even if you did know you can only quarantine them at medical level to help them fight off the virus and survive if possible. The powers don't yet exist which will allow for a strict test for every-one, regardless of one's personal choice or faith to enable an enforced quarantine if needed and allowed. We probably won't even have a killer for the virus for months yet. For the foreseeable future, the only way to stop the virus advance is self-quarantine to deny it host-chambers. The little bastard doesn't flag it's presence until it's almost too late for most.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,621 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Play with = modify. They were booked months ago. I've already postponed two trips, the question is what I'm going to do with the other two, cancel, or figure out when to postpone them to. The airlines are waiving the change fees, and are asking that if you're not scheduled to travel in the next 72 hours, leave the lines open for people who are.

No, but if there is anyone standing in the way, they will have the title of "Judge" and so will overrule the many. Case in point, a number of localities (generally anti-gun areas like California and New Jersey where there wasn't much public outcry) declared firearms shops as 'non-essential businesses' and ordered them closed a whiles back. Cue immediate legal action. Firearms shops are now open again as of this week. Constitution, and all that.

The legal protections for freedom of movement in the US are very strong. This is why no jurisdiction has placed a lockdown of the sorts seen in Europe or Asia. It simply wouldn't pass muster. If you look at the fine details of the "shelter in place" orders, you'll find that there's nothing really stopping interstate travel. Same with Patriot Act. When it hit the Supreme Court, final result 6-3, it was reasonably narrow in scope.

Umm... The US is not Turkey or Thailand. The chances of a coup are basically nil at this time.

What about the freedoms taken away after 9/11? Massive invasion on peoples liberties and freedoms with hardly a whimper from the people.

Sure, you'll get the usual groups that complain, but overall it will go through. The legal protection for freedom is movement is very strong everywhere, n fact the EU have done so much more by bring not only FoM within ones own country but within the wider union. The US isn't the only place in the world that has freedom.

Don't kid yourself Manic. The Freedom of the Press is written into the constitution itself and yet Trump has done more to limit that freedom in 3 years that was probably done up to that point. And of course the US fought back against that? Except no, the Trump supporters lapped it up and cheered him on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement