Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,512 ✭✭✭volchitsa

kowloon wrote: »
    That's the problem, the current numbers aren't being taken seriously across the board yet. There are plenty of people, and you'll see them on US forums, who don't get the big deal.
    I'm not trying to downplay it at all, but it has barely started and it'll have to get a lot worse for the holdouts to get worried.

Well, Trump's America is certainly winning the Covid race anyway - they've been top of the daily "most new cases" list for a few days now, and last night they topped the "most new deaths" list too. I give it another week and they'll be first for total deaths too.

I wonder will Trump be boasting about those numbers and all that winning? He actually might - who'd have thought anyone would be crass enough to boast about their great viewing figures for their daily updates, but Trump managed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

These press conferences serve what purpose?

So far, we have had

1) Trump bragging about his ratings on TV
    2) Trump bragging about his ratings on Facebook
    3) Trump bringing on Company directors for glorified infomercials
    4) Trump spewing misinformation about the virus
    5) Trump uses them as a rally to bash Dems and the media

As a result, some news networks have decided to cut away from them.

Trump and sons then complain about America's right to be informed, that this is key and how dare the networks do this.

Then once again, Trump shows his hand

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1245486109821263872?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,671 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Meantime, Regereron Biomedical Co, Limerick [H/office Eastview, near Tarrytown, NY] is testing a drug on the first patient outside the US according to a post on F/B, which I cant locate in the quoted source [Limerick Leader]. Said paper does list two other Limerick based [Johnson & Johnson - the international Co AND Technopath Clinical Diagnostics] as working on a solution. https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/530902/limerick-firm-works-on-vaccine-for-covid-19.html AND

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/530731/local-company-plays-its-part-in-global-war-on-coronavirus.html

respectively.

I assume that NY Head Office is being updated on the results from it's Limerick branch regularly, as would the Irish Dept of Health if the Co is using a human subject for trials of a new drug to kill off Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

everlast75 wrote: »

So far, we have had

Trump and sons then complain about America's right to be informed, that this is key and how dare the networks do this.

I think you're No.5 is the whole point, isn't it?

everlast75 wrote: »

So far, we have had

A dual example of how the Admin tells the truth to the media and public: admiring Mike's footwork around the question from his favourite news channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

volchitsa wrote: »
    Well, Trump's America is certainly winning the Covid race anyway - they've been top of the daily "most new cases" list for a few days now, and last night they topped the "most new deaths" list too. I give it another week and they'll be first for total deaths too.

I wonder will Trump be boasting about those numbers and all that winning? He actually might - who'd have thought anyone would be crass enough to boast about their great viewing figures for their daily updates, but Trump managed it.
    I expect him to boast about PPE supplies before long: reported in this morning's Libération newspaper, US operatives are on the ground in China, hijack-buying (cash, at up to 3x price) every last consignment of masks waiting to be loaded on tarmacs, and sod the original purchaser/consignee.

Some French local authorities have seen several millions of masks hijacked that way already. The original source is RT, but the info has since been verified from alternate sources.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

volchitsa wrote: »

They are gonna soon match another of their famous statistics in that they spend more on their military than the next 10 nations combined, they will soon have more infections than the next 10 nations as well

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is it down to just go the next 10 nation's now? I remember the days it used to be the next 20 nations combined and 19 of them were allies. I think it may have been Iraq was the only one of the 20 not an ally?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

ambro25 wrote: »
    I expect him to boast about PPE supplies before long: reported in this morning's Libération newspaper, US operatives are on the ground in China, hijack-buying (cash, at up to 3x price) every last consignment of masks waiting to be loaded on tarmacs, and sod the original purchaser/consignee.

Some French local authorities have seen several millions of masks hijacked that way already. The original source is RT, but the info has since been verified from alternate sources.

Nothing would surprise me

Do you have the alternate sources?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

VinLieger wrote: »
    Do you have the alternate sources?
    No, I'm not the Libération journalist/author.

They are mentioned in the article as advisors of other (French) Présidents de Région (meaning respective heads of several counties, all victims of the same issue).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

They are mentioned in the article as advisors of other (French) Présidents de Région (meaning respective heads of several counties, all victims of the same issue).

But no secondary sourcing on the story?

I meant the other accounts from more reputable outlets than RT

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This sort of story is why the US is screwed...

Dr. Anthony Fauci forced to beef up security as death threats increase
    Dr. Anthony Fauci, the country's top medical expert on the coronavirus pandemic and a member of President Donald Trump's coronavirus task force, is facing threats to his personal safety and now requires personal security from law enforcement at all times, including at his home

Death threats because they think he's a Deep-state Hilary loving plant

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

VinLieger wrote: »
    I meant the other accounts from more reputable outlets than RT
    It's been confirmed that Brazil lost out on equipment they were due to pick up in China due to USA sending over 23 planes and took part of their share; confirmed by the Brazil's health minister as part of his briefing. Not directly backing up the above claim for France but confirms the behavior of USA.
    The Health Ministry said on Wednesday that the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Brazil rose by 1,119 to 6,836 and the death toll by 39 to 240.

He told reporters that Brazil was having difficulty importing urgent medical equipment because the United States sent 23 planes to China to be filled up and Brazil's share was slashed as a result.
    Link to article is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

New unemployment numbers out this morning. 6.6 million new claims this week to add to the 3.3 million new last week. Over 10 million people without jobs and Trump administration is refusing to open Obamacare enrollment so people can get health insurance.

This is what the increase looks like in comparison with prior months

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1245691444402282496?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Foxtrol wrote: »
    New unemployment numbers out this morning. 6.6 million new claims this week to add to the 3.3 million new last week. Over 10 million people without jobs and Trump administration is refusing to open Obamacare enrollment so people can get health insurance.

I wonder who they'll vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,621 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It will be interesting how Trump handles the latest figures. His response to the figures last week was that people had been suggesting 6-7 million so 3.2 wasn't so bad. What trick will he try now?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It will be interesting how Trump handles the latest figures. His response to the figures last week was that people had been suggesting 6-7 million so 3.2 wasn't so bad. What trick will he try now?

Blame China. Sleepy Joe. Europe. The cat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,476 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wonder who they'll vote for.

Depends on the geographic breakdown of those unemployment figures you'd imagine. If the bulk of lost jobs are spread out among the Urban areas, and those more predominantly Blue Districts I could see a scenario where it doesn't have any pronounced effect.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Depends on the geographic breakdown of those unemployment figures you'd imagine. If the bulk of lost jobs are spread out among the Urban areas, and those more predominantly Blue Districts I could see a scenario where it doesn't have any pronounced effect.

Yeah. If it's swing states then it will make a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Another trump record?

Any more?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean what is the problem? If they can't afford to see a doctor they can't get tested and so won't (officially) die of Corona virus. Brilliant work keeping that number down

• Registered Users Posts: 15,621 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Will it though? I'm not so sure. These numbers were always likely given the virus so when looking to vote can they really blame Trump for that?

That is not to say Trump does not carry enormous responsibility for the lack of response, the increased levels of death and misery, but my take would be that the economy was always going to suffer no matter what.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

But swing states are where they will be allowed get Obamacare, or they will get extra medical equipment sent to their hospitals. The nakedly partisan way they are promising assistance to states that "treat him well" and denying others is repulsive.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Will it though? I'm not so sure. These numbers were always likely given the virus so when looking to vote can they really blame Trump for that?

That is not to say Trump does not carry enormous responsibility for the lack of response, the increased levels of death and misery, but my take would be that the economy was always going to suffer no matter what.

Well, if "It's the economy stupid." then ordinary workers who have no jobs will want change. The virus won't be an excuse for Trump. Many of them will throw their MAGA hats in the bin and vote for something or anything different.

check_six wrote: »
    But swing states are where they will be allowed get Obamacare, or they will get extra medical equipment sent to their hospitals. The nakedly partisan way they are promising assistance to states that "treat him well" and denying others is repulsive.

True that!

Firstly, they are greatly reduced. It's not obvious on the image because there are several layers of aircraft on the older one. There are a whole hell of a lot of cancelled flights with at least half the US's fleet parked on the ground. They are so short on space that they are parking on runways, there are some 50 American Airlines aircraft on this one runway in Pennsylvania alone.

https://i.dailymail.co.uk/1s/2020/04/01/07/26663748-8174863-As_airlines_cut_more_service_due_to_the_COVID_19_pandemic_Pittsb-a-165_1585721165261.jpg

On the other hand, it's a big damned country, and if you want to get from A to B, you need to take the airplane. A lot of them are pretty close to empty, but some people and cargo still need to move around. Ireland, as I understand it, is on a 2km lockdown, but Dublin Bus is still on the go, there are still eight trains a day from Dublin to Cork. France and Germany are still running their intercity trains, and in the US, airplanes are the equivalent to trains in Europe.

Further, the US still takes its individual freedoms seriously. The country cannot be locked down: If the airplanes won't run, folks will take the train or drive themselves.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/why-theres-no-national-lockdown/609127/

Alternatively
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/17/mass-quarantine-lockdown-explainer/

I had a check on the status of anti-virus checks on US flights and found all references were for flights from abroad and mostly dated no later than 17 March. Are the different airports carrying out anti-virus checks on passengers queueing & boarding US internal flights?

Christy42 wrote: »
    I mean what is the problem? If they can't afford to see a doctor they can't get tested and so won't (officially) die of Corona virus. Brilliant work keeping that number down

Some states have taken the decision at their level to open the insurance cover door to workers. I don't know if they may have been given any incentive for any purpose to do so by Washington.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,633 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

But... but... Wilbur said this on the 30th January...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1222863896882679808?s=19

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement