Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

duploelabs wrote: »
    If they stop the flights, then they lose their slots in the airports. The airlines are using whatever cash, new or saved, to keep them from surrendering those slots

Such rules, both in Europe and the US, have been suspended for at least three weeks now.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/coronavirus-slot-restriction-suspension-faa/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I am not defending Trump. And for that matter I have laughed at the WhatsApp videos of him.

Leaders setting a tone.. I just have a serious issue with this. I just really don't think people care about this stuff. They want action.

Look at the legacy of Obama's supposed 'wonderful' oratory - Donald Trump.

The strong economy is down to Trump but when he fails to prepare for a pandemic directly contributing to thousands of extra deaths it’s not his fault because Americans don’t listen to him anyway? You’re dead right they want action, he failed to act and now it’s too late. Absolute joke of a post.

Just last week he was boasting about the TV ratings for his press conferences, millions watched it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

In a very sad but given the track record of this president, Dr Anthony Fauci is receiving protection because of an increased number of death treats. I mean what kind of low life do you have to be to threaten the life of the man who's expertise in this time is very much needed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

What is the “spirit” of the rule? I thought the spirit was that the government cannot stop you from either easily saying what you want, or easily obtaining the speech of others, and that’s what the courts follow since it also is pretty much what is written into the Constitution.

There is nothing in there saying “The President’s press briefings must be useful and neutral”, and there is similarly nothing saying “the press may not say that the President is not being useful or neutral, or otherwise influence voters on account of this”. Indeed, it’s fairly easy to find articles in which they do just that.

The ramifications for Trump’s press actions are political, not legal. The redress is found in the ballot box, not the court system. You are attempting to conflate “what you would like to happen” with “What is currently in law”. How would you even define a legal standard that the courts can rely upon?

What do you think of his press conferences so? Were you delighted to hear AG Barr talking about Mexican drug cartels and Trump boasting about number one on Facebook? I have to admit I laughed out loud when they wheeled out Barr and he started his spiel.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

What do you think of his press conferences so?

I don't listen to them, and I don't know why the cartel thing was brought up yesterday. That said, it didn't seem to make many waves when some 600 suspected cartel members were scooped up in a nationwide sweep with 15 tons of meth a couple weeks ago under new priorities pursuant to Trump's executive orders which directed DoJ to prioritize trans-national criminal organisations. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/project-python-mexican-drug-cartel-us-arrest-a9398116.html
    Look at this list of states not in lockdown:

That is also a list of the least densely populated States in the country.

No, Texas isn't in lockdown and is on that list. I'm in Texas, I'm under lockdown, because the Governor has allowed the counties to decide what's in their best interest, and my county has decided, at 1,560people / square mile, it's necessary. A full third of Texas counties have a population density of less than 10 per square mile, some have one person for every seven or eight square miles. http://www.txcercit.org/population_density.asp . In the event that Texas gets to the stage that over half its counties are reporting at least one case, which it hasn't yet, the risk of transmission is small enough that it's not worth shutting down the county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭Cody montana

“Navy expected to relieve captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 outbreak on aircraft carrier
    The United States Navy is expected to relieve the captain who sounded the alarm about an outbreak of COVID-19 aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt.”

He deserves a medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I cant recall when Obama gave a press briefing did all his officals pay homage to him like what is happening at Trumps briefing Is it an American thing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,635 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I cant recall when Obama gave a press briefing did all his officals pay homage to him like what is happening at Trumps briefing Is it an American thing

No. Like many, many things now - it's not normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

That Navy captain has been sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

“Navy expected to relieve captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 outbreak on aircraft carrier
    The United States Navy is expected to relieve the captain who sounded the alarm about an outbreak of COVID-19 aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt.”

He deserves a medal.
    Is this any different to the way China treated that doctor who first reported coronavirus?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭urgelgru

Watching the briefing and Sheldon from the Big Bang Theory is looking rough

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Is this any different to the way China treated that doctor who first reported coronavirus?

Yep. Because USA places itself way above China on the moral leader board.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

When this is all over that will be Trump's selling point-"better than China probably"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Here comes Jared...

My God!

---

Interesting choice of words from Pence just beforehand:

"...the fewer Americans that contract the Coronavirus; the fewer Americans that have to enter our healthcare system. And that will continue to preserve the capacity in our healthcare economy. So we thank the millions of Americans who've responded in the first two days of the thirty days to slow the spread and I'm just absolutely confident that in the days ahead that every American is going to do their part..."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

How does a hospital gets masks? well according to Jared if the hospital has a friend who can ring Trump, Trump rings Jared , masks are delivered....
    Great logistics!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Trump actually spelled out COVID 19, and said "you know what that is, right? It's become a very popular term. Covid." That is just farcical.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Pedro K wrote: »
    Trump actually spelled out COVID 19, and said "you know what that is, right? It's become a very popular term. Covid." That is just farcical.

If it was a sitcom we'd be at the "its getting a bit far fetched now" stage.

So he's back to having a stockpile now? I thought he was bypassing his stockpile these days?

Did he just say to call a website?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

He sounds like he's been snorting cocaine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Are you for real in thinking we need you, of all people, to come in here and tell us how America works? Mother of God.

If it's any consolation, everything you have said above has been reiterated by others.

Again, I'm surprised you're taking such an interest in America and its president.

You can ignore my posts if they so annoy you. The sensitivity of some here is quite something.

I see NBC Nightly News is using a breaking news banner throughout their news programmes now.

What happened American media?

Well be interesting to see the announcement about the healthcare support tomorrow.

Seems a bit concern for people so could be some good news

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

He deserves a medal.

Its taken out 2 of their 11 aircraft carriers already they will be sacking all their captains at this rate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You can ignore my posts if they so annoy you. The sensitivity of some here is quite something.

You feel I was being sensitive? Projection much?

Simple thing is, you stroll in here periodically with your know-it-all hat on, and have the temerity to do so not long after your churlish "I don't know why you all care about America so much" phase.

It's grating, but it needs to be called out.

You feel I was being sensitive? Projection much?

Simple thing is, you stroll in here periodically with your know-it-all hat on, and have the temerity to do so not long after your churlish "I don't know why you all care about America so much" phase.

It's grating, but it needs to be called out.

Just more sensitive rubbish. Others here well able to ignore/debate with posts. I suspect the points I'm raising just grate with your beliefs.

The vast majority of contributors on this thread complain and moan about Trump. I'm a minority that says different things. This is freedom of speech.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭eire4

VinLieger wrote: »
    Its taken out 2 of their 11 aircraft carriers already they will be sacking all their captains at this rate
    The kind of behaviour you expect from China. Shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,556 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1245836495702933504

Of all times to be having a pop at someone...Jesus Christ on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭eire4

Nope, I'm just trying to reflect the situation in America.

Irish people seem to think that the US President has unlimited powers and authority. Ordinary people living in Montana or Iowa probably look at their local news bulletins first before the national channels which focus on Washington.

The situation in the US is very clear. They have a demagogue in power who's inaction and bluster has made an already bad situation worse and more Americans are going to die because of him then needed to when this is all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Gintonious wrote:
    Of all times to be having a pop at someone...Jesus Christ on a bike.

They spelled alternative wrong in the last sentence. Incredible oversight, who is proof reading this rubbish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement