Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Just more sensitive rubbish. Others here well able to ignore/debate with posts. I suspect the points I'm raising just grate with your beliefs.

The vast majority of contributors on this thread complain and moan about Trump. I'm a minority that says different things. This is freedom of speech.

So, you're just a disingenuous contrarian so?

Grand. That's that settled so.

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1245836495702933504

Of all times to be having a pop at someone...Jesus Christ on a bike.

I mean, they don't even try to tidy up the language at all ever.

Imagine submitting that in 5th class as a letter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

“Navy expected to relieve captain who raised alarm about COVID-19 outbreak on aircraft carrier
    The United States Navy is expected to relieve the captain who sounded the alarm about an outbreak of COVID-19 aboard the USS Theodore Roosevelt.”

He deserves a medal.

As someone said, if only that guy had committed war crimes then Teunp would be totally in his corner.

Seems he only loves the military when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I mean, they don't even try to tidy up the language at all ever.

Imagine submitting that in 5th class as a letter.

Is it definitely real? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

So, you're just a disingenuous contrarian so?

Grand. That's that settled so.

I think that was settled some time ago?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/Phil_Mattingly/status/1245836495702933504

Of all times to be having a pop at someone...Jesus Christ on a bike.

I'd call that child-like and infantile but I wouldn't want to be insulting to all the children out there.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    As someone said, if only that guy had committed war crimes then Teunp would be totally in his corner.

Seems he only loves the military when it suits.

He doesn't love anybody except himself, maybe Ivanka but I think that's actually because he feels she reflects well on him so goes back to his own self importance and ego.

He plays people, who they are change depending on the situation but it's always with the end idea of what he thinks is best for him in that moment, because that's all that matters to him.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Brix is getting as bad as him with the rambling.

Fauci should be mandatory.

I think that was settled some time ago?

I just like to make sure periodically. Plus it doesn't help that I'm so "sensitive".

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Brix is getting as bad as him with the rambling.

Fauci should be mandatory.

Birx has sold herself in terms of reputation a fair bit lately alrighty you'd hope it's in sacrificing her name for a greater good. I'd like to give her that benefit of the doubt. Her **** the other day on the Christian channel interview was particularly cringy though.

I should point out I don't watch these things so I've no idea if she said anything particularly stupid tonight.

Fauci and Birx are really the only two you need to be hearing from, someone get Trump on the virtual rally buzz.

• Advertisement

Trump finishes with one of his classic "I know better than anyone about X". This time the X was being unemployed.

Sigh.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

I think he’s well aware what he’s doing here. I don’t buy it.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1245857814263656448?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Pedro K wrote: »
    Trump actually spelled out COVID 19, and said "you know what that is, right? It's become a very popular term. Covid." That is just farcical.

Next he'll try to claim that he anticipated this pandemic three years ago when he tweeted "Covfefe".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

That Navy captain has been sacked

SecNav and CNO speaks for 25 minutes on the subject. Note, SecNav is both a former Naval officer, and his son is in uniform in Korea. Unless you prefer listening to Trump instead of some professionals.

https://www.facebook.com/MyNAVYHR/videos/2480254398956895/?hc_location=ufi

The CO didn't even notify his boss, the strike group commander, whose cabin was down the passageway. As SecNav observes, he wasn't a normally placed officer, or even 'just' a captain. He was in charge of one of 11 of the most important strategic assets in the country, with the ability to speak to SecNav directly. Well intentioned though he may have been, there is a way of doing things, and if SecNav and CNO are correct, the captain screwed up by the numbers. The firing was pretty much a given.

signostic wrote: »
    How does a hospital gets masks? well according to Jared if the hospital has a friend who can ring Trump, Trump rings Jared , masks are delivered....
    Great logistics!!

I want that clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I want that clip.

You don’t. I’ve seen one clip from last night where he says a lot of words but it means nothing.its generalities but nothing good. There’s also the federal stockpile clip which would make your head hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,635 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

SecNav and CNO speaks for 25 minutes on the subject. Note, SecNav is both a former Naval officer, and his son is in uniform in Korea. Unless you prefer listening to Trump instead of some professionals.

The CO didn't even notify his boss, the strike group commander, whose cabin was down the passageway. As SecNav observes, he wasn't a normally placed officer, or even 'just' a captain. He was in charge of one of 11 of the most important strategic assets in the country, with the ability to speak to SecNav directly. Well intentioned though he may have been, there is a way of doing things, and if SecNav and CNO are correct, the captain screwed up by the numbers. The firing was pretty much a given.

If we were living in normal times, I would accept that to be the motive for the firing.

However, what we are sadly dealing with her is a Commander in Chief who is one of the most petty and impulsive people I have ever had the misfortune to come across, and therefore I believe it to be on balance, much more likely that he instinctively fired someone who made him look bad.

You accept that the Captain was "well intentioned". Perhaps given the extraordinary circumstances and his overwhelming concern for those under his command, who he was witnessing on a daily basis, those facts may have been taken into consideration and he could have been reprimanded, but no - this administration is not known for its compassion or nuances approach to dealing with conflict.

I’m wondering why he has all those people up there with him during these briefings.

Then I realised they’re the very ones he’s going to blame soon enough

Do they not realise that though?

Surely they must

• Registered Users Posts: 11,675 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It seems one of the complaints, if not the major one, is that he sent his email about his worries in the clear and to what is seen as an unnecessary list. It does speak of their working relationship and trust level that he felt he [apparently] didn't/couldn't even discuss the matter of his crew going down with the virus and the effect on the carrier group at risk as a naval force with the force cmdr down the corridor. It might be worth keeping an eye on the future posting of the carrier's doctor as well. They are both collateral damage in the fighting within the Admin.

I can't believe this is dividing the US even more. Mind boggling.

• Advertisement

I can't believe this is dividing the US even more. Mind boggling.

Looking at the latest stats and projections, there’s going to be no stopping this in the US.
    The divide will soon be gone when it starts killing people on scale. People will eventually turn to attributing blame but that can only land in one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,052 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Runaways wrote: »
    Looking at the latest stats and projections, there’s going to be no stopping this in the US.
    The divide will soon be gone when it starts killing people on scale. People will eventually turn to attributing blame but that can only land in one place.
    True but the Dems have no one to take advantage of this imo atm.
    I think that's why they're delaying their convention till August in the hope of pulling out a master stroke

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Interesting Article about how the Democrats could nail the Trump admin over their failures around this..

Basically you have this tweet from February 5th

https://twitter.com/ChrisMurphyCT/status/1225073987639705600

This shows that they were told it was coming , but chose to ignore it.

Then you have a Trump tweet (one of many to choose from tbh) from a month later saying this

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1237027356314869761

Minimising , denying , ignoring...

Those two tweets on repeat should be the entire ad campaign for November....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,477 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

cj maxx wrote: »
    I think that's why they're delaying their convention till August in the hope of pulling out a master stroke

To be fair, this is a tricky one. Trump and his media acolytes already blathered about Democrats politicising this before things got truly serious, so for said Democrats to then show their hand in any vaguely partisan fashion, it would both indulge Confirmation Bias in Trump's supporters, and cynicism from the chronically Cynical.

Clearly the virus transcends party boundaries, so there's a delicate political dance to play here. Passivity may be the better ploy, because if Trump continues to balls up the optics and Federal level of support, the Democrats need only be the adult in the room.

cj maxx wrote: »

I think the dems would be wrong to try take advantage of this. I know that’s not how American politics works but now or in the aftermath nobody who’s lost someone to it is going to want to hear bile. Or maybe they will I dunno.

It’s frightening to me that it’s become utterly political there. Look at the projections. They are headed to a full blown disaster at great speed.

And sadly donald will come up smelling roses cos of these bloody daily briefings

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭jaykay74

There is not much relevance in Trump trying to take credit for stopping flights from China in January or Europe whenever that was since that just changed the timing of when the virus arrived. Any slowdown achieved by that wasn't used to built up stock of needed equipment anyway. They just sat on their hands, the virus might as well have arrived sooner for all the good it did.

[QUOTE=Runaways;113042124

And sadly donald will come up smelling roses cos of these bloody daily briefings[/QUOTE]

He really won't. That is not to say that he might not get reelected, there is a staunch GOP and Trump supporters that will vote not for him but against the DNC, but if this continues the way it is projected, then Trump will come out of this deeply wounded and probably fatally (in political terms). 2nd term is always difficult as thoughts move to the next POTUS an the threat of the current goes away, but even more so if Trump is seen to have blood on his hands.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    He really won't. That is not to say that he might not get reelected, there is a staunch GOP and Trump supporters that will vote not for him but against the DNC, but if this continues the way it is projected, then Trump will come out of this deeply wounded and probably fatally (in political terms). 2nd term is always difficult as thoughts move to the next POTUS an the threat of the current goes away, but even more so if Trump is seen to have blood on his hands.

Did I read nanci is setting up an investigation to get into the administrations handling of it? Bloody well hope so

Runaways wrote: »
    Did I read nanci is setting up an investigation to get into the administrations handling of it? Bloody well hope so

I wouldn't be counting on that to achieve anything, if the impeachment was anything to go by.

My thoughts are that it is for visuals only. Ie Nancy is putting it out there to try to get those GOP people willing to go with Trump rather than science that if Trump doesn't hold power after November they are very likely to come under serious review.

But the real review will come from the people. Those areas like New York already know what a mess Trump is making of this, but places like Florida might come to their senses when the reality of the situation hits home over the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Read that 3 of the states that hadnt implemented stay at home policies have now done so, sort of...

They've excluded church attendance from the policy. So everyone should stay home, except to go and congregate with a potentially large group, of likely high risk people, indoors.

Its farcical to be honest, and evidently some of these state governors just don't get it. The federal government needs to he spreading a much more stark message to put some pressure on them, and the job to deliver that message belongs to the president.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement