Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Doesn't surprise me. Medically, it's the safest course, and that's all he's worried about. The question is if it's the best course overall. After all, those low-density rural places are the ones putting food on our table as we risk our health going to the grocery stores to get, and if we can reduce the economic impact for minimal medical risk, why not do so?

I guess we'll see. Here in Ireland we've gone with applying it to the cities and the rural areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,459 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I guess we'll see. Here in Ireland we've gone with applying it to the cities and the rural areas.

Most of my neighbours are in farming, so they're out and about as usual. There's no alternative here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've seen it. But I would counter, given I used to work IT, with an IT comparison. If the important factor is the security of the system and the data on it, and you want no hacking, leaks or virus, the best solution is to place the computer in a locked safe, disconnected from power or the world, and put it on a desert island surrounded by minefields and sharks.
    It is absolutely going to do the job, and the computer is utterly useless and unproductive.

There is, to my knowledge, no jurisdiction on the planet which has created a total and complete lockdown. Some level of risk is necessary. For example, going to the shop for your groceries, permitted under every lockdown I'm aware of. Now, which is more likely to be a continued transmission hazard, a bunch of New York City folks trying to get their groceries at their 41st and 5th grocery store, or a group of country folks doing their jobs in Pecos County Texas, where almost nobody from the city goes and everyone tends to be spread out anyway? Is there a medical benefit to a lockdown of Pecos county? Certainly. Is it worth it? Very arguable.

Your analogy is extremely poor. Especially if you used to work in IT.

Let's consider American in its entirety as a corporation. Why? Because it has open borders each state feeds into the core but each state has its own task or job.

In this corporation you would put the entire system in its own domain behind a firewall allowing controlled in and out access via this firewall.

You wouldn't for example allow Texas plug USBs into the system or use any apps they like because it would ruin the rest of the infrastructure.

I can see why used to work in IT ...

The pool piss sections is entirely accurate. Texas has no control over who goes where and no testing to verify either. There's a reason some countries now babe f all cases and the US trajectory is taking off like an elon shuttle.

kowloon wrote: »
    Most of my neighbours are in farming, so they're out and about as usual. There's no alternative here.

Oh of course and there are people in Dublin still heading to work everyday as usual too.

Food production is essential..... Hello.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Food production is essential..... Hello.

Yes, it is.

cNTerga.gif

Yes, it is.

cNTerga.gif

Loving the bear!

Trump just asked about Fauci recommending all states staying at home. Trump reckons the Governors have it under control :) That Georgia lad seemed to be on top of it alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

He's tetchy tonight!

He's so tied up in all the lies he's told that he can't answer a single question with an ounce of honesty now. He is just contradicting himself over and over.

Even Brix looking a bit fed up with it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Do the non Fox journalists every say to themselves why bother attending these briefings all he does is ignore them or insult them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

This woman seems competent at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

No sign of the good Doctor to night Id say he was getting nervous there with the lady Doctor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I've seen it. But I would counter, given I used to work IT, with an IT comparison. If the important factor is the security of the system and the data on it, and you want no hacking, leaks or virus, the best solution is to place the computer in a locked safe, disconnected from power or the world, and put it on a desert island surrounded by minefields and sharks.
    It is absolutely going to do the job, and the computer is utterly useless and unproductive.

There is, to my knowledge, no jurisdiction on the planet which has created a total and complete lockdown. Some level of risk is necessary. For example, going to the shop for your groceries, permitted under every lockdown I'm aware of. Now, which is more likely to be a continued transmission hazard, a bunch of New York City folks trying to get their groceries at their 41st and 5th grocery store, or a group of country folks doing their jobs in Pecos County Texas, where almost nobody from the city goes and everyone tends to be spread out anyway? Is there a medical benefit to a lockdown of Pecos county? Certainly. Is it worth it? Very arguable.

I'm not disagreeing. A lockdown where people starve in places where the nearest shop is 10km away wouldn't make any sense. A lockdown in NY absolutely does because, well, you can literally survive without leaving your apartment in cities.

With that said, however, I would be a little worried about the movement of pee, I mean people. I don't know how much movement of people between cities and the country side there is over there but if there's a rush out of the cities, it may be prudent to put those in sparsely populated areas with urban relatives on a more serious footing.

There's a need for joined-up thinking. Not to be confused with putting enforcing the same regime on very different areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Trump’s model comment tonight was particularly classless. How the hell did anyone vote for that toe-rag??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »
    Your analogy is extremely poor. Especially if you used to work in IT.

Let's consider American in its entirety as a corporation. Why? Because it has open borders each state feeds into the core but each state has its own task or job.

In this corporation you would put the entire system in its own domain behind a firewall allowing controlled in and out access via this firewall.

You wouldn't for example allow Texas plug USBs into the system or use any apps they like because it would ruin the rest of the infrastructure.

I can see why used to work in IT ...

The pool piss sections is entirely accurate. Texas has no control over who goes where and no testing to verify either. There's a reason some countries now babe f all cases and the US trajectory is taking off like an elon shuttle.

You are mistaking my point to be about the mechanics instead of about the principle of security vs the ultimate purpose.

There is a balance to be struck between total lockdown, which is going to guarantee that the virus doesn't get transmitted any more to anyone new, and loose policies which reduce the non-medical impacts, be it the economy or provision of necessities varying from food to power.

Culberson County, Texas, is larger than County Cork. It has a population of under 3,000. 10,000 people live in Brewster County, which is the size of Cork, Galway and Clare put together. Neither currently has a reported coronavirus case.

On the other hand, a number of people equal to the population of Ireland lives in Harris County, which is about the size of Co. Tipp.

Does it seem unreasonable to presume that the dramatically different environments in these varying counties fall in different areas on the risk/benefit scale for various actions taken in response to the virus? It's not that the counties are taking no action at all, the Brewster County website, for example, says they are limiting the amount of people in government buildings, but they don't need to go to the same extent as Dallas.

Trump’s model comment tonight was particularly classless. How the hell did anyone vote for that toe-rag??

And worldometers currently at 1,314 new US deaths and still counting for current 24hr period.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

There was an interview with an irish guy living in Wuhan in the Irish times the other day, talking about how he was coping on day 64 of not being allowed outside his apartment. All food and necessary supplies were being delivered at various stages by communist party workers. A full 100% lockdown might be impossible but thats whats called getting close. Maybe it could only ever be an eastern thing.

On the other hand, if yer man develops any kind of a fever at all, the same Communist party functionary will arrange for him to be forcibly removed from his apartment and carted off to join thousands of other untested febrile people in a camp where, if he was neg for Covid but had flu or something else, he would contract Covid almost guaranteed.

The infection level and the death toll in China are 10s x greater than they have reported...

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The infection level and the death toll in China are 10s x greater than they have reported...

North Korea is the country I really wonder about. You might be able to see mass graves from space but they could just be regular North Korean mass graves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Missed that. What did he say exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Missed that. What did he say exactly?
    Trump: The professionals did the models. I was never involved in a model, at least this kind of model.

https://twitter.com/Julio_Rosas11/status/1246206808949055488

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

FatherTed wrote: »
    Trump: The professionals did the models. I was never involved in a model, at least this kind of model.

I would like to be able to say I am shocked that Trump would make a remark like that considering what the USA and the rest of the world is dealing with but in truth I`m not.:( Trump staying true to form.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,578 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is he the full quid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

Dead cat, dead cat, dead cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Stormy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What is your benchmark/line in the sand measurement as to whether or not Trumps handling of this pandemic is a success or not once it has passed:

Under 100K deaths
    100K deaths - 200K deaths
    200K+ deaths?

I just watched Dr Fauci interviewed on PBS NewsHour..

As always, a model of clarity, truthfulness (despite the hard news he is stating) and just simple honesty.

And when he was asked about his fears around the threats that have necessitated personal and family protection, he broke...

There's a special place in Hell for the scrotes who have threatened him and his family...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't understand the premise, his handling of this has clearly already been a failure, it's damage limitation at this point. There is no scenario left to play out that can be deemed a success given it is already damage control.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

I don't understand the premise, his handling of this has clearly already been a failure, it's damage limitation at this point. There is no scenario left to play out that can be deemed a success given it is already damage control.

?

Are you talking abt Dr Fauci or Trump?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,935 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Trump is firing the intelligence community inspector general who flagged the Ukraine whistleblower complaint according to NBC news. So you get fired for doing the right thing in this administration but that's nothing new.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement