Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,351 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Runaways wrote: »
    This Is a good read. Scary peak behind the curtain

https://twitter.com/donal_okeeffe/status/1246765390845358080?s=21

With this greater amount of home schooling currently, I'm more personally familiar with the demographic who asks these types of question

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Badgers are kindof cute, though, from a distance.

As an example of the social media paranoia I had mentioned earlier about any routine military movement during a time of national crisis, someone saw some tanks coming from Port of Los Angeles on a train... ABC News investigates!
    https://abc7.com/tanks-moving-through-socal-sparks-questions-on-social-media/6051402/?fbclid=IwAR3sk0bBa5Gv0r3lUetIjJ9NToa6xLpezSYmhwedv5FxxUwUND-bBK6qbR0

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

As an example of the social media paranoia I had mentioned earlier about any routine military movement during a time of national crisis, someone saw some tanks coming from Port of Los Angeles on a train... ABC News investigates!
    https://abc7.com/tanks-moving-through-socal-sparks-questions-on-social-media/6051402/?fbclid=IwAR3sk0bBa5Gv0r3lUetIjJ9NToa6xLpezSYmhwedv5FxxUwUND-bBK6qbR0

At least the tanks weren't on the train your man took for a joyride last week.

Hey, do you remember a few days/weeks ago, you defended a position that Trump's words have little affect. Can we refresh that again?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see the governor of Georgia Brian kemp who it seems missed the email on how this virus spreads and so took a long time to go to a stay at home order is now ordering beaches to open. Well one place in Georgia tybee island has told him to go and do one. These governors can't honestly be this stupid and ignorant of the facts can they ? There's a difference between not linking the advice and not believing it.
    Brian Kemp is the Governor whose campaign featured some of the worst examples of voter suppression across the country and yet was not investigated as, due to his previous position as Secretary of State, he was overseeing his own election. Whose tenure in in that position saw him support litigation which seeks to eliminate the ACA-based protections for those with pre-existing medical conditions, despite the historic failure of the proposed alternatives, decline the aid of the Department of Homeland security to secure his states voting systems as "critical infrastructure" against Russian interference making Georgia the only state to do so despite warnings and then turn around and accuse the same Department of attempting to hack his office's computer network, implying that the alleged attacks were related his refusal to work with the body.

On a perhaps lighter note, he's also response for these campaign ads - Jake, So Conservative, Warm and Offends.

I honestly don't know best to apply Hanlon's razor to him.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Hey, do you remember a few days/weeks ago, you defended a position that Trump's words have little affect. Can we refresh that again?

If you wish. The legal effect has not changed in the last few days/weeks that I'm aware of. Governor/County/City response is still more critical to folks like me.

If you wish. The legal effect has not changed in the last few days/weeks that I'm aware of. Governor/County/City response is still more critical to folks like me.
    Nice dodge, however you said earlier that Trump's voice is very small in the media.
    With this in mind, what do you say then to Lupus suffers not being able to access essential treatment due to Trump's unverified claims that hydroxychloroquine can be used to treat the virus

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Remember these Trump tweets?
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1233256774964273152
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1233266386291580931?s=20

There's only one MINOR issue here; Trumps administration were warned about the Corona virus on 31st DECEMBER.
    The NSC, which operates within the White House to coordinate policies and recommendations involving national security across agencies, was at the center of the effort to formulate the early response to the outbreak.

The council was first notified of the outbreak on the morning of Dec. 31, according to one of the government officials involved, when an NSC official was forwarded an email from a Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) attache in Beijing that had been sent to senior HHS officials the night before.

The “pop-a-flare” notice, as it is known, described strange cases of pneumonia that could not be definitively traced to seasonal flu, said the government official, who saw the message. The email said the Chinese would soon be notifying the World Health Organization, the official said.

On Jan. 3, Dr. Gao Fu, head of China’s disease control agency, informed his U.S. counterpart, Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the CDC, in an emotional telephone call that the outbreak was growing out of control, according to the same federal official and a former NSC official. Both said they had been informed of the details.

Ullyot, the NSC spokesman, disputed the timeline, saying the council did not learn of the coronavirus outbreak until Jan. 3. The CDC, a part of HHS, confirmed to Reuters that it learned of an outbreak in late December and that the call with Gao occurred Jan. 3.
    Why is that a problem? Well...
    While the conflict soured the interactions, one of the government officials involved said, data soon emerged that led the health agency officials to agree with Pottinger: A travel restriction for all of China was needed. They saw that there were thousands of travelers arriving daily from Wuhan’s Hubei province to the United States, as well as a rising number of Covid-19 cases reported by the Chinese government beginning in mid-January, the source said.

In its statement to Reuters, the CDC did not directly address what led to its ultimate decision to support the travel restrictions.

By Jan. 24, the staff of the NSC had proposed restricting flights from China, said the government official involved in the deliberations. But as Pottinger met with deputies from other cabinet-level agencies, the recommendation met with resistance because of concerns about spooking the markets and scaring the public, three sources with knowledge of the deliberations told Reuters.
    So it was known from 31st December 2019, recommendation to close borders by Jan 24th and done a week later because they were afraid it would spook markets. Golf claps to the Trump administration; once again Trump is caught with his pants down lying through his teeth about his amazing Corona response. Full article is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Nody wrote: »
    Full article is here.

Couple of things.

It doesn't appear that Trump himself heard the recommendation to ban flights till 29 Jan, banning them on 30 Jan. It's the underlings especially Kudlow, who pretty much is wrong about everything at every time, and Mnuchin, blocking the information from getting to Trump because economic fallout. If true both should be relieved of their offices, but Kudlow's there to draw fire from the economic press, he's laughably bad at everything he does and this time, he got involved with a health emergency.

I think that, had someone else been President, like, say, some generic Republican, the time from the head of the CDC getting the call from his counterpart in China to the message getting to the US President might've been shorter. No guarantees, of course. No guarantees it would've gone smoother had HRC won, but the pandemic response team would've been in place and there would've been an obvious path for the recipient of the call to route it to the pandemic team and hence upwards.

So, yeah, the worst run WH in history is causing people to die. They've done it everywhere worldwide and now lots of Americans who didn't have to die, will die because of Trump. He'll be in office until next January barring a successful removal. Plenty more opportunities to further screw up the world.

And, even better, during that period Kudlow was advising people to buy stock because the markets were gonna soar. "The best people." Unlike those 2 Senators from GA and Dianne Feinstein, he knew what really was coming and stuck everyone else that'd listen to him with holding the bag. All this in return for his job from Trump is my guess. What a loser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Igotadose wrote: »
    And, even better, during that period Kudlow was advising people to buy stock because the markets were gonna soar. "The best people." Unlike those 2 Senators from GA and Dianne Feinstein, he knew what really was coming and stuck everyone else that'd listen to him with holding the bag. All this in return for his job from Trump is my guess. What a loser.

Will Don throw Larry under the bus when things turn really septic for him?

Look on the bright side, there were no rumours about martial law or a coup. Probably some reporter thinking he'd better cover all aces.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I see the governor of Georgia Brian kemp who it seems missed the email on how this virus spreads and so took a long time to go to a stay at home order is now ordering beaches to open. Well one place in Georgia tybee island has told him to go and do one. These governors can't honestly be this stupid and ignorant of the facts can they ? There's a difference between not linking the advice and not believing it.

Strike out jaws, write in Covid-19 when the widows start calling for answers. This is the gent who said he didn't know the virus was spread through person to person contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

What do you think then of national Pandemic response teams like the one Trump got rid of?

AFAIK that was the result of the ebola scare. The gvt of the time decided a coordinated national response was crucial to things like this.

What exactly is pence is charge of? What is kushner doing. These are all parts of Trump executive.

Are you just downplaying it a bit or do you think trump merits no responsibility?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    Strike out jaws, write in Covid-19 when the widows start calling for answers. This is the gent who said he didn't know the virus was spread through person to person contact.

In his defense he is claiming they only just found out that Covid 19 can be spread to asymptomatic carriers. Quote frankly I have no idea how a person can be that incompetent. It is just beyond my understanding how someone can have no clue about how about current events in that position.

Christy42 wrote: »
    In his defense he is claiming they only just found out that Covid 19 can be spread to asymptomatic carriers. Quote frankly I have no idea how a person can be that incompetent. It is just beyond my understanding how someone can have no clue about how about current events in that position.

That was what surprised me when he made his statement, that his state medical advisor also didn't know, like that would be why she had the job as his advisor/doctor.. It's like she didn't know there's an incubation period before the virus strikes the host hard and fast.

That was what surprised me when he made his statement, that his state medical advisor also didn't know, like that would be why she had the job as his advisor/doctor.. It's like she didn't know there's an incubation period before the virus strikes the host hard and fast.

I think it's become clear in the US, UK and elsewhere, that you don't need to be intelligent to be elected to any level of public office.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Will Don throw Larry anybody under the bus when things turn really septic for it suits him?

Yes.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yes, and was then shown to be unsurprisingly lying through his teeth through documented evidence.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Re the virus, besides the pressure it's forced on the US medical world, it's apparently caused a diverging of drugs to treat virus patients in hospital which were usually prescribed to/used to wean opioid abusers off their addiction. The drugs are apparently being used up faster to treat the increasing number of SERIOUSLY ILL virus victims and the Pharma Co's are trying to keep up with the sudden demand from the hospitals which means the opioid addicts are being put into 2nd place for supply. The effect of that has yet to be seen for the opioid addiction problem the US and the Admin will face again, if that resurges.

• Advertisement

Re the virus, besides the pressure it's forced on the US medical world, it's apparently caused a diverging of drugs to treat virus patients in hospital which were usually prescribed to/used to wean opioid abusers off their addiction. The drugs are apparently being used up faster to treat the increasing number of virus victims and the Pharma Co's are trying to keep up with the sudden demand from the hospitals which means the opioid addicts are being put into 2nd place for supply. The effect of that has yet to be seen for the opioid addiction problem the US and the Admin will face again, if that resurges.

link? Not sure which drugs for opioid addiction are relevant for Covid-19 treatment...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Will Don throw Larry under the bus when things turn really septic for him?

Is this a serious question?

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ben Done

link? Not sure which drugs for opioid addiction are relevant for Covid-19 treatment...

Possibly Fentanyl - it's used in the ICUs [but it's already arriving in the US by the bagful, from China, as it happens, as an alternative to the opioids they allowed to be prescribed like candy].

Its for pain-killing purposes. Not being a medic, I assume its to help relax the patients from pain caused by the virus, possibly to the lungs, ribs, chest and back during inhaling. Its good to hear the US Pharma Co's are being helped by China with production.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    Is this a serious question?

Just wondering will it be Larry or Steve Mnuchin? Given Steve Mnuchin's regular appearance by Don, I think Larry will be the fall guy.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

US is about to break 1000 deaths for the day :(

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

sydthebeat wrote: »
    US is about to break 1000 deaths for the day :(

This would be the third day in a row I think.

Each day the number of grieving families goes up in line with the list, sometimes 2 families per death when the in-laws are counted. Each family will have two, maybe three registered voters, who are adult enough to see what's going on around them and who was negligent in duty when November comes around, who cared and who didn't give a fig.

duploelabs wrote: »
    Nice dodge, however you said earlier that Trump's voice is very small in the media.
    With this in mind, what do you say then to Lupus suffers not being able to access essential treatment due to Trump's unverified claims that hydroxychloroquine can be used to treat the virus

I must have missed something. I caught a note that he claimed that folks with Lupus who were on chloroquine didn't need to worry so much about the virus, a statement which was countered by Fauci.

Why would they not be able to access normal Lupus treatment as a result?
    Are you just downplaying it a bit or do you think trump merits no responsibility?

It's not an either/or, but but downplay, yes. Is his getting rid of the Pandmic Response Team biting us in the arse? Yes. Is that the first line of defense? No. Another example from California:
    https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Coronavirus-California-had-21-million-N95-masks-15164180.php

Many people on here have observed, I think correctly, that Trump shouldn't be doing these conferences at all, leaving it to Fauci, Brix and Adams. I suspect we all know that what they have to say counts a little more on this matter than Trump, who do you think the various State Commisioners for Health are looking to for advice and recommendations? Are they even paying attention to the press conferences, or are they looking at communications from the various agencies directly?

So, we know that Trump has limited legal effect, and limited influential effect. He may be a public confidence disaster, and doing almost no good at all, except signing for whatever it is that the Governors need, Congress sends him, or Fauci et al recommends, but neither is he particularly stopping the States from doing what the States think is in the best interest. Should the borders have been closed earlier? With the benefit of hindsight, yes. Then again, with the same benefit of hindsight, I'm sure NYC's Health Commissioner at about that time wouldn't have been telling people to go to Chinatown to celebrate the Lunar New Year and specifically to not worry about Coronavirus because he felt it important to 'show support for the Chinatown and the Chinese community.' Even while the Chinese organisations had started to cancel events.
    What exactly is pence is charge of? What is kushner doing. These are all parts of Trump executive.

Pence is supposedly co-coordinating the Federal agencies as they attempt to support the States. Kushner is probably wasting taxpayer dollars, though I'm open to being surprised.

• Advertisement

Several news media outlets are running the report [origin Reuters] in the following link that Steve Mnuchin and Larry Krudlow opposed the ban on flights from China in January after the Admin became aware in late Dec of the outbreak there. The ban was imposed in late January but while the debate on the ban was continuing in the Administration, up to 14,000 passengers from China landed in the US.

Quote from the report: Each day that the administration debated the travel measures, roughly 14,000 travelers arrived in the United States from China, according to figures cited by the Trump administration. Among them was a traveler who came from Wuhan to Seattle in mid-January, who turned out to be the first confirmed case in the United States. On Jan. 22, Trump downplayed the threat posed by the virus, telling CNBC from the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, “We have it totally under control.” The battle within the White House over whether and how to stop infected travelers from China lasted nine more days: unquote.

The ban was imposed by Don on Jan 31st. A point of interest is that a rep for Larry Krudlow has stated that Mr Krudlow did not oppose the ban. However it has become clear from others that this non-opposition refers to the period after the president imposed the ban, and not to the period in Jan when the White House was debating on imposing a ban which was favoured by members of the NSC.

I've used the Yahoo link as the others with the report are firewalled or require acceptance of their "cookies" policy. They are Reuters.com, USNews.com and investing.com.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-administration-debated-travel-restrictions-110801320.html

Edit. I've deleted the last word from Para 1, that is "daily".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement