Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Comparatively, it's been sunshine and rainbows for Trump. We are only now truly beginning to see the threat he poses to the US and humanity. If we emerge from Trump's tenure unscathed, it is only by the grace of historical accident giving him a period of relative financial and geopolitical calm.

Not sure who the 'we' is, a lot of people have been despairing of Trump and seeing the threat he posed from the start of his presidency, and before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

looksee wrote: »
    Not sure who the 'we' is, a lot of people have been despairing of Trump and seeing the threat he posed from the start of his presidency, and before.

It was abstract before. He was largely limited to making the US look like mugs, or lining his pockets, or doing sort of technocratically destructive things that were bad, but their consequences weren't immediate.

What he's shown of late, not that anyone, least of all myself doubted that he would, is that he has no off switch. He can only be as he is, and he's as terrible in a crisis as out of it, but the consequences are orders of magnitude more grave.

The thing about Trump isn't that he's useless, it's that he can blindside you with whole new angles of corruption and incompetence that a normal person can't always anticipate. That's what we've seen here, I think.

Yes, you can have sub-optimal approaches to crises, on a spectrum, but we're seeing what happens when every tiny detail is being made a balls of in new and interesting ways.

An illustrative example, is where the Democrats fought to include oversight in the stimulus package, which seems like you're heading Trump off at the pass (because you assume he'll steal as much of it as he can), but then he comes out and says he'll flat out ignore the law, and then starts firing people in charge of overseeing the package. I'm not surprised by this, really, but I can't say I anticipated this specific bit of greedy narcissism.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

everlast75 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1248333612212195328?s=19

Back to referring to his ratings, whilst hundreds of people are dying every day!? Wtf is going on?

The journalists should corner McConnell and pound him relentlessly with questions about how this is any way shape or form appropriate. Don't let him off the hook. One journalist after the other. Make him look ridiculous in his effort to defend him.

There's no ****ing point with Trump.

How anyone can say that he is mentally fit is utterly beyond me.

Jesus christ. It's.... I don't know. I give up.

Finally.

You'll keep your hair now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Water John wrote: »
    In recent days Iv'e found I can only watch a few minutes and have to shut it off. It would wear your humanity.

Ditto, but then I had the horrible thought that it's all a cunning plan by Fox News to bore the anti-trumpists to death with his inanities.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Finally.

You'll keep your hair now.

Maybe I'll brush it up over my head, dye it and become an object of ridicule. Might get certain posters to listen to me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,422 ✭✭✭AllForIt

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    IMHO, Trump is a 'useful idiot' for a wide range of interests, from Russia, Qatar and Saudi Arabia on the outside, to Big Pharma, Military/Industrial Complex, and above all, Trump/Kushner industries on the inside,. So, he is totally focused on maximising graft and grift for himself. That said, I really don't have a sense that Trump is immune to the daily deaths.

On the other hand, Cheney was/is a truly evil and psychopathic man who NEVER exhibited ANY humanity while hundreds of thousands of Iraqis who were MURDERED on foot of greviously falsified so-called 'evidence' of the existence of WMD, which ultimately resulted in the destruction of IRAQ and the rise of ISIS.

Cheney is an order of magnitude of evil ahead of Trump. By comparison, Trump is but a plodding donkey, whose braying can be argued against and sometimes countered. The utterances of the likes of Cheney were soo much more dangerous and life- threatening as to belong in a different, more dystopian world, and we should all be soooo grateful Cheney does not currently hold the levers of power...

I'm glad to see some ppl have some perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Starting now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Starting now.

What channel

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

What channel

All of them. Just go to YouTube.

And use PBS so they at least get the hits.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=trump+coronavirus+live

All of them. Just go to YouTube.

And use PBS so they at least get the hits.

Am looking at the TV

• Advertisement

Am looking at the TV

I don't know what channels you have.

If you have are in Ireland and have FOX News they'll defo have it.

I don't know what channels you have.

If you have are in Ireland and have FOX News they'll defo have it.

Am in Ireland......listening to Pence now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Ande1975 wrote: »
    Bush was renowned for his Bushisms - 'Is our children learning?' :eek: He was a bad president policy wise but he took the role seriously, understood history and public office and also had a sense of humour/laughed at himself. Watch the White House Correspondents Dinner with a Bush Impersonator Steve Bridges to see...

Those Bushisms have been greatly added to with quotes that are actually from Dan Quayle.

Anything of note from tonight's Q&A?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Anything of note from tonight's Q&A?

Back to suggesting he'll open up the economy very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭Hoop66

Whenever that's said it's usually in response to him having been demeaned and then having the audacity to not find it funny.

However, he's clearly well up for jokes being made at his expense otherwise.

One, very specifically planned, incident. So that's "a joke", not jokes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Anyone else catch the claim that Ivanka created 15 million jobs? https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/4/8/21212802/trump-ivanka-10-percent-jobs-walmart-15-million?__twitter_impression=true

If you don't like Vox then skip to the video. Clear as day saying she created 15 million jobs. Flat out lies once again though if it were true it would mean the only reason the economy hasn't entirely collapsed under Trump is Ivanka. Can you imagine if there 2t million less jobs going around?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Hoop66 wrote: »

Basically Pete has ignored every single criticism of Trump and the Covid response, to take umbrage at Trump being called out and offer proof that Don does have a sense of humour?

I'm sure the @20000 families of dead Americans will take great comfort in Don being funny.

Don is again talking about re-opening the economy?
    After announcing last night that the mass testing promised the start of the Covid task force, wont actually happen.
    That its not needed anyway...

The silence on Don's and by extension the federal governments lack of competence and honesty in their "handling" of this by his most ardent supporters on here?

Speaks volumes IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Hoop66 wrote: »

Also during the election campaign and as staged as Trump eating a taco bowl on Cinco de Mayo.

Goes to show how little his supporters can defend his response to the pandemic that they have to wait for something as small as the suggestion Trump doesn't have a sense of humour before they can kick the door in and scream "WHAT ABOUT LETTING JIMMY FALLON TUSSLE HIS HAIR?! CHECKMATE, LIB LOSERZ!"

Anyway, most commentary seems to suggest Trump pulling federal support for testing and providing PPE/health equipment is designed to shift all blame onto the States themselves, so he can say it wasn't his fault if loads of people die in any particular state, that's the state's responsibility.

And that's the key issue, it's not that Trump is failing in his response to the pandemic, he's succeeding. He's succeeding because it's not his current aim to save as many lives as possible, his aim is to protect himself and his chances for re-election. His moves are calculated, but they're in his best interests, not the interests of the American people. And tens of thousands (if not hundreds of thousands) of American lives will be needlessly lost because of it.

But Jimmy Fallon once tussled his hair, so I guess it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

In 2005, President Bush spoke about his strategy in preparation for a possible avian flu pandemic. Compare to the Trump's preparedness.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?189676-1/national-strategy-pandemic-preparedness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭ilkhanid

Trump ADMITTED to misconduct so...

He didn't. He doesn't regard it as misconduct to start with. He thinks it's a joke.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christy42 wrote: »
    Anyone else catch the claim that Ivanka created 1t million jobs? https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/4/8/21212802/trump-ivanka-10-percent-jobs-walmart-15-million?__twitter_impression=true

If you don't like Vox then skip to the video. Clear as day saying she created 15 million jobs. Flat out lies once again though if it were true it would mean the only reason the economy hasn't entirely collapsed under Trump is Ivanka. Can you imagine if there 2t million less jobs going around?

He's been claiming that for a while , although it was 14M before Christmas so she's been on a bit of a Job creation spree recently, obviously.

If it were true , Ivanka would personally be responsible for ~10% of all employment in the United States and over 200% of the job created since Trump took office (~7M jobs added to the Economy prior to the Covid impact).

It's not that he says it that bothers me so much , it's that not one person calls him out on it.

It's such an obvious easily disprovable LIE and they all just roll past it.. Somebody needs to do a Paxman on him with one of these lies - Just once, hound him down on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,638 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Christy42 wrote: »
    Anyone else catch the claim that Ivanka created 1t million jobs? https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2020/4/8/21212802/trump-ivanka-10-percent-jobs-walmart-15-million?__twitter_impression=true

Perhaps the article was referring to sweat shops outside the U.S.?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

banie01 wrote: »
    Basically Pete has ignored every single criticism of Trump and the Covid response, to take umbrage at Trump being called out and offer proof that Don does have a sense of humour?

I have not been ignoring the left's efforts at using the pandemic as a way of taking down Trump.

Have addressed all the latest shameful 'We have him now!' nonsense in the CA & C19 forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/10/europe/eu-bungled-coronavirus-response-analysis-intl/index.html

Slightly off topic, but maybe not...CNN criticising the EU for bungling the pandemic! Er, Luke, why not use your energy to really tackle your president and his government?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

I have not been ignoring the left's efforts at using the pandemic as a way of taking down Trump.

Have addressed all the latest shameful 'We have him now!' nonsense in the CA & C19 forums.

Do you honestly think trump has handled it well?

Do you honestly think trump has handled it well?

If memory serves and I may well be mistaken, but Pete did say he was a respiratory therapist?

Apologies if I'm mistaken on that, but if my recall is correct?
    I'd love to hear Pete's opinion on Trump's denial of an issue until Mid March, thru to his volte face and his continuing mixed messaging and management of the federal response to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

banie01 wrote: »
    If memory serves and I may well be mistaken, but Pete did say he was a respiratory therapist?

Apologies if I'm mistaken on that, but if my recall is correct?
    I'd love to hear Pete's opinion on Trump's denial of an issue until Mid March, thru to his volte face and his continuing mixed messaging and management of the federal response to date?

I’m not familiar with this thread but I would be surprised if anyone was defending trumps response to covid. Arguments can be made either way on his policies but he made a complete mess of this at the start.

I’m not familiar with this thread but I would be surprised if anyone was defending trumps response to covid. Arguments can be made either way on his policies but he made a complete mess of this at the start.

Mané, meet Pete and prepare to be surprised ;)

Particularly if I am remembering his occupation correctly!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,669 ✭✭✭✭Penn

You've proved your own bias. You're focusing on "the left's" response to Trump's handling of the pandemic while completely excusing Trump's handling of the pandemic. You're calling out "the left's" response completely judging it on hindsight without acknowledging they in most cases didn't have access to the same information the Trump administration had about how early and how serious it would be.

You're focusing on "the left's" criticisms of Trump, likely to obfuscate and change the direction of conversation away from Trump himself. So go on, what is your actual opinion on Trump and his administration's handling of the pandemic?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement