Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

pixelburp wrote: »
    America's zeal for individualism is becoming a hindrance to effective appliance of social distancing and communal responses - that much is evident by the more macabre examples found of the "screw you, I'm an American" mentality - but to assert the country "doesn't care" about a loss of life is absurd. People might underestimate the severity, or ignorance might cause calamitous results, but they care. It's just there hasn't been an existential crisis like this in 100 years.

Perhaps I'm being a little cruel. But it seems that Americans aren't that phased by the loss of life in the gun massacres, the fact that tens of millions live in poverty etc. As you say they developed a very individual society and their solution to these issues seems to be to offer "prayers".

aloyisious wrote: »
    So is it your opinion that Don shouldn't be wasting his time talking each evening about the virus and its finality effects on U.S voters as they are simply consumerists and don't care about it?

Are you asking me because it sounds like that's your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

As I understand it, the US president doesn't have local powers the way we have here as America is a federal state. So voters look to their state government.

America is such a consumerist and materialistic society, it wouldn't surprise me if the population there isn't that bothered about the loss of life.

It strange, because I never heard Trump say that when he was running for POTUS. It was that he was the only one who could change it, a winner, didn't need the swamp etc etc.

It has been a pretty obvious refocus, particularly since CV19, that all of a sudden Trump is powerless against this great State power.

It sounds when first stated so logical, but think about for even a second and one needs to accept that Trump is powerless. Not exactly a great look for the most powerful man in the world.

He couldn't sort out health, taxes, corruption or jobs. So what is the point?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

As I understand it, the US president doesn't have local powers the way we have here as America is a federal state. So voters look to their state government.

To be fair he won't even offer advice, coming from his medical experts, to the states. Regardless of whether he does or does not have the "powers".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Are you asking me because it sounds like that's your opinion.

No, it's not my opinion. Yes, I am asking you.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    It strange, because I never heard Trump say that when he was running for POTUS. It was that he was the only one who could change it, a winner, didn't need the swamp etc etc.

It has been a pretty obvious refocus, particularly since CV19, that all of a sudden Trump is powerless against this great State power.

It sounds when first stated so logical, but think about for even a second and one needs to accept that Trump is powerless. Not exactly a great look for the most powerful man in the world.

He couldn't sort out health, taxes, corruption or jobs. So what is the point?

The US President is mostly in charge of foreign affairs by all accounts. And even there he is constrained by Congress.

In the 20th century, the U.S. President became a cultural and symbolic figure, much like a monarch. So they use the title First Lady instead of Queen.

aloyisious wrote: »
    No, it's not my opinion. Yes, I am asking you.

The only bits of them press conferences I've seen is the funny WhatsApp clips of Trump's madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The US President is mostly in charge of foreign affairs by all accounts. And even there he is constrained by Congress.

In the 20th century, the U.S. President became a cultural and symbolic figure, much like a monarch. So they use the title First Lady instead of Queen.
    Then why is he on telly every night? He is in charge but the new narrative since things are going wrong is he’s not in charge

salmocab wrote: »
    Then why is he on telly every night? He is in charge but the new narrative since things are going wrong is he’s not in charge

Most Americans don't watch his press conferences.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is just bullplop.

The POTUS has significant powers. And then to say he doesn't have powers locally is a nonsense. So what?

What national politician, like the Taoiseach, UK PM or Bundeskanzler has interest in or need to have specific local powers?

The POTUS is there as a figurehead, coordinator, delegator-in-chief and leader, and its a post of especial importance during a crisis.

To downplay the role just so you can sit on the fence and criticise those who are critical of Trump's (mis)handling of this crisis is insincere to say the least.

Consistent and par for the course though.

So?

• Advertisement

No but huge numbers do as he’s killed telling everyone. Bigger than other tv shows. There a chain of command and whilst he may not be able to tell governors what to do he does set the tone and controls the federal end of things which again he’s told us is great, he decides on the reserves etc. It’s an utter fallacy to claim anything other than he’s in charge v

Its of interest that when Gov Laura Kelly of Kansas issued an emergency declaration in respect of the virus outbreak banning large group meetings last month that the State legislature [via the LCC] overturned her order. The Kansas State Supreme Court, in its turn, affirmed the Governor's order and overturned the state Legislative Coordinating Councils actions. The court decision was that the LCC decision was based on a wrong interpretation of what they could lawfully do. Another case of a governor doing what was best for her state. An important point in the LCC's decision to overturn the Gov's declaration was that it was made on party lines by the GOP majority.

https://reason.com/2020/04/12/kansas-supreme-court-invalidates-legislatures-scheme-for-supervising-governors-executive-powers/

If those press conferences include the nightly press conferences in which he and members of both his Admin team and his virus emergency advisory group give the U.S the daily stats on the virus outbreaks in different parts of the U.S and what a good job they are making of getting the needed medical emergency gear out to the medical teams, its remarkable how highly rated Don says he is in the viewers minds [unless of course Don is not telling the truth about his ratings].

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

So is the argument now that POTUS has limited powers so the disaster that is America's response to COVID-19 is either nothing to do with him or only incidentally linked to him? So he's the most powerful "elected" official in the world but also incredibly unable to be the leader of his own country bearing ultimate responsibility for actions taken in his country? I'm confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Is he on tonight?

Right, so you agree that Trump can't actually do anything domestically. So the economy, jobs, wages, environment etc etc is all out of his hands.

Why would a figurehead be allowed to act in such a partisan and disgraceful way that he has, why has the GOP turned itself in knots to protect him?

We both know he has considerable powers, otherwise why would the right be so afraid of HC or Sanders?

Ar least be consistent.

So is the argument now that POTUS has limited powers so the disaster that is America's response to COVID-19 is either nothing to do with him or only incidentally linked to him? So he's the most powerful "elected" official in the world but also incredibly unable to be the leader of his own country bearing ultimate responsibility for actions taken in his country? I'm confused.

Yes the ‘leader of the free world’ isn’t quite in charge of his own country. It’s laughable mental gymnastics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Always remember Obama managed Obamacare so the notion that presidents can't help out in health are is ridiculous. Similarly Trump promised health are reform so he obviously thinks the president should be involved.

I mean Trump did fail spectacularly with healthcare but that was down to his own incompetence

• Registered Users Posts: 4,505 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

But they get snippets on every local station and on smart devices

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Christy42 wrote: »
    Always remember Obama managed Obamacare so the notion that presidents can't help out in health are is ridiculous. Similarly Trump promised health are reform so he obviously thinks the president should be involved.

I mean Trump did fail spectacularly with healthcare but that was down to his own incompetence

This, this should not ever be just forgotten about in all of the other **** that has flown in the presidency.

He, with one of his core campaign promises, with the presidency and control of BOTH houses of Congress could not get it done. That is spectacular, Trump like, failure.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

100%. If Biden has any sense he will run on this. He, well Obama did such a great job that Trump, with a total majority on both houses totally failed.

Then move on to his total failure in the tax changes. Keep asking what the promised and actual growth rates were.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    100%. If Biden has any sense he will run on this. He, well Obama did such a great job that Trump, with a total majority on both houses totally failed.

Then move on to his total failure in the tax changes. Keep asking what the promised and actual growth rates were.

Biden was instrumental in bringing the House and Senate along.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He's already said that he takes no responsibility for the slow response to this crisis.

zweton wrote: »
    Is he on tonight?

Apparently not.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/492425-white-house-skips-daily-coronavirus-briefing-for-second-day-in-a-row

Seems he wasn't on yesterday either.

I have decided to avoid them as much as is possible.So this is welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    He's already said that he takes no responsibility for the slow response to this crisis.

A man once said, or rather tweeted

*Paraphrasing*

When your the leader if it happened your responsible, if it didn't happen, your responsible.

Edit: it is truly a wonderful thing that there is always, always a tweet with this guy.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭accensi0n

A man once said, or rather tweeted

*Paraphrasing*

When your the leader if it happened your responsible, if it didn't happen, your responsible.

Which man?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭moon2

accensi0n wrote: »
    Which man?

Just in case thats not rhetorical...

https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/398887965302091776

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

If anything it's the opposite of that. The presidency was originally much weaker than congress and expanded in influence over time. Woodrow Wilson was the big foreign affairs guy but the presidency got its adult teeth when FDR was in charge. Just thinking about it now, Wilson was in charge for a world war and the Spanish Flu, FDR had the depression, its New Deal solution and the Second World War to work with. Trump has plenty of opportunity to become a leader, but I'm going to call it and say he continues to be the ****wit-in-chief.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement