Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Fox News playing Don's song after Don retweeted a tweet from DeAnna Lorraine, a GOP politician who tweeted that Dr Fauci should be fired. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-retweets-firefauci-tweet-raising-speculation-of-a-frayed-relationship

It looks like Don is not happy with the notion that Dr Fauci is getting higher ratings has a higher TV profile than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Comical. Trump has literally gutted the agencies and bodies that are supposed to deal with national crisis. Now his supporters, say he has no influence.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    Fox News playing Don's song after Don retweeted a tweet from DeAnna Lorraine, a GOP politician who tweeted that Dr Fauci should be fired. https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-retweets-firefauci-tweet-raising-speculation-of-a-frayed-relationship

It looks like Don is not happy with the notion that Dr Fauci is getting higher ratings than him.

Fauci said in an Interview that deaths could have been avoided had action been taken earlier.

He said it in a "Hindsights a great thing" kind of way - He was as diplomatic as possible given the question, sort of "If we knew then what we know now" kind of thing.

But of course , ANY criticism of Trump is verboten and we can expect Fauci to be side-lined or fired in a matter of days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    But of course , ANY criticism of Trump is verboten and we can expect Fauci to be side-lined or fired in a matter of days.
    Don't worry, Donald would put his best people on it so expect Ivana to be announced as his replacement as she's so smart, the smartest really, so smart that Donald would date her (as Jared is already busy).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭valoren

Firing Fauci will be a gift to Biden. If it happens then Biden should state that he will re-instate Fauci immediately as a willingness to listen to experienced experts is more prescient and important for America than protecting the personal ego of the President.

A campaign ad going over Fauci's extensive career interspersed with Trump bragging about ratings with a case/death toll counter in the corner would drive the message home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I was glad to hear that Mr. Trump got to spend the weekend in Florida.... a well rested and happy President is only a good thing for the country... and maybe the world ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

I was glad to hear that Mr. Trump got to spend the weekend in Florida.... a well rested and happy President is only a good thing for the country... and maybe the world ?

Well, he could be working on the promises he made, him being the 'promises made, promises kept' guy, at the 13 March presser with the various industry execs. To date, almost NONE of them have been met. Drive through testing? Nah. At home testing? No. The infamous website with 1700 engineers working on it at Google? Nope.

https://www.npr.org/2020/04/13/832797592/a-month-after-emergency-declaration-trumps-promises-largely-unfulfilled

And, yeah he needs a long weekend. Working so hard and all. Best for the country is if he ends his worthless pressers and stays in Florida.

That might explain the strange item on MSN of the Secret Service placing an "emergency funding" order for golf carts mid last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Good chance Fauci gets the sack in the near future?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

If he does it will be something.

Though you can see already that the MAGA crew are already convinced that there's a guy called "Deep State Fauci" working against Donnie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Fauci said in an Interview that deaths could have been avoided had action been taken earlier.

He said it in a "Hindsights a great thing" kind of way - He was as diplomatic as possible given the question, sort of "If we knew then what we know now" kind of thing.

Not sure why you're inferring from Fauci's comments that he was criticizing Trump, he wasn't.
    valoren wrote: »
    .. a willingness to listen to experienced experts is more prescient and important for America than protecting the personal ego of the President.

True, which is why when it comes to Coronavirus mitigation efforts Trump has "ALWAYS" listened to Dr.Fauci and "NEVER" overruled him.
    Fauci77.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

The hypocrisy of Trump continues.

After he and his supporters spent weeks claiming that decisions to shut down were on the governors to make, he now claims he has ultimate control on opening states back up

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1249712404260421633?s=20

Not sure why you're inferring from Fauci's comments that he was criticizing Trump, he wasn't.

True, which is why when it comes to Coronavirus mitigation efforts Trump has "ALWAYS" listened to Dr.Fauci and "NEVER" overruled him.

That looks terrible for Trump.

'Ultimately' listening is all well and good but tens of thousands of people are likely dead because he didn't listen to his or other warnings early enough.

Don's tweeted that it will be his decision, and not those of governors, on re-opening guidelines according to RTE1 radio news headlines. I'm not on twitter so can't access the tweet. There is this from him dated today -
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-says-hell-decide-on-easing-guidelines-not-governors/ar-BB12xh12
    - following on from his interview by Judge Jeanine Piro on Fox News on Saturday when he said he will use instinct to decide on it.

He also said he can force the states to re-open - https://www.politicalflare.com/2020/04/trump-just-said-he-can-force-states-to-reopen-even-if-the-governors-say-its-too-dangerous/

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That looks terrible for Trump.

'Ultimately' listening is all well and good but tens of thousands of people are likely dead because he didn't listen to his or other warnings early enough.

You're inferring, without grounds to, that when Fauci said ultimately it was with regards to a period of time of weeks/months, but the evidence would suggest that's not the case at all at all.

Here, for example, is Dr.Fauci on Feb 29th saying that there is no need for Americans to change anything that they are doing on a day by day basis:

https://twitter.com/realPowerTie/status/1249708865094066176

Which is why it is quite clear that when Fauci looks back with reflection and ponders on what may have been done early doors, with the benefit of hindsight, his remarks are far more likely meant to be just as much critical of himself, with regards to what it is that should have been done and said, as much as anyone else.

I get that people would like him to be critical of Trump (what with November on the horizon and all) but tens of thousands are dead and again, maybe I'm being fanciful, but my call would be that this is all much too serious a health crisis for it to be used as fodder in the neverending attempts to 'Get Trump!'.

Personally I'd be readjusting my scope so that those who were in the crosshairs were the ones whose selfish actions led to hundreds of thousands of deaths and that ain't anyone within an ass's roar of the US Administration.

There's an article in todays Irish Times giving a brief outline on Lincoln County, West Virginia, apparently as a synopsis of the average county in rural USA, where it comes to medical facilities and preparedness for a serious outbreak of illness, the virus. It has no hospital and no acute [ICU] beds. The article is on page 6, is ascribed to Stephen Starr, Dayton, Ohio and informed by Sam Suiter in West Virginia.

Cuomo has just been asked if he thinks Trump will fire Fauci...

Cuomo has just waxed lyrical about how good he is and "how [he] can't imagine, as crazy as things get in this world that I can't imagine, in the crazy world of Washington that that would happen"

Just before the conference ended he opened up the floor to his colleagues and asked "is there anything I said that you need to correct or clarify?"

It's mad to watch when you get used to Trump's conferences.

The side bar on the Fox News YT page is frightening though.

Cuomo will have another conference at 2pm Eastern.

You're inferring, without grounds to, that when Fauci said ultimately it was with regards to a period of time of weeks/months, but the evidence would suggest that's not the case at all at all.

Here, for example, is Dr.Fauci on Feb 29th saying that there is no need for Americans to change anything that they are doing on a day by day basis:

Which is why it is quite clear that when Fauci looks back with reflection and ponders on what may have been done early doors, with the benefit of hindsight, his remarks are far more likely meant to be just as much critical of himself, with regards to what it is that should have been done and said, as much as anyone else.

I get that people would like him to be critical of Trump (what with November on the horizon and all) but tens of thousands are dead and again, maybe I'm being fanciful, but my call would be that this is all much too serious a health crisis for it to be used as fodder in the neverending attempts to 'Get Trump!'.

Personally I'd be readjusting my scope so that those who were in the crosshairs were the ones whose selfish actions led to hundreds of thousands of deaths and that ain't anyone within an ass's roar of the US Administration.

There's a cautionary "right now" before the rest of his statement in the picture image you posted. That indicates Dr Fauci knew in Feb the situation was fluid and changing as more information becomes clear as to the potential effect of the Covid-19 virus. Accordingly as the virus situation in the U.S [the big picture bed-patient potential] changed, he upped his advice to the president and to the actual patient, the U.S.

Re the "get Trump" issue, it's possible that when he starts playing ball with the medical experts on his team on the issue [which he has no expertise on] and stops putting his opinion ahead of their expertise when it come to the treatment course they have told him is necessary to prevent the virus killing more thousands of U.S citizens, he might get some respect from people who are presently calling him to account for his ignoring the medics advice and putting his instinct [political?] ahead of all else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,216 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

But the problematic (to put it mildly) nature of his administrations response can't be ignored either as you seem to suggest. There's a difference between cynically using an event like this for political gain and rightly calling out incompetence. They aren't the same thing.

I do think the Chinese have a case to answer but thats not for this thread.

MadYaker wrote: »
    There's a difference between cynically using an event like this for political gain and rightly calling out incompetence.

Totally agree, but 99% of the criticism of the US President by MSM (in particular) is the former not the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Even on Fox they are saying there would uproar from both Dems and Repubs if Trump fires Fauci

Totally agree, but 99% of the criticism of the US President by MSM (in particular) is the former not the latter.

It's always the latter because he is that incompetent. It just seems political because you can't accept that he's a sham and a fraud and pretty useless.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

There's an article in todays Irish Times giving a brief outline on Lincoln County, West Virginia, apparently as a synopsis of the average county in rural USA, where it comes to medical facilities and preparedness for a serious outbreak of illness, the virus. It has no hospital and no acute [ICU] beds. The article is on page 6, is ascribed to Stephen Starr, Dayton, Ohio and informed by Sam Suiter in West Virginia.

May not make a difference. For example
    https://www.politico.com/states/new-york/city-hall/story/2020/04/03/new-york-republicans-lash-out-over-cuomos-plan-to-reallocate-medical-equipment-9422383

ALBANY, N.Y. — A dozen prominent Republicans are attacking New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo’s decision to seize medical equipment from upstate facilities and send it to downstate hospitals.

One can certainly understand Cuomo's reasoning. We've hashed over this before in the discussion on the federal stockpiles. However, the bottom line is that rural counties in upstate New York which had previously put the assets in place are as now about as well equipped as rural counties in West Virginia which never had them in the first place. (And in the case of Lincoln County, it's only 30 miles from the county seat to the city of Huntington, 36 to Charleston, the State Capitol, so it's not as if they won't have access to an ICU facility. Of course, there are other counties which are much further out from 'civilisation'.)
    Now that Gov Newsom has extended his California stay at home order, it'll be interesting to see what Don's response will be to that news: will he still have praise for him or will he change tack and say the Gov is with the Dem-left as it fundamentally undermines Don's wishes for the early opening up of U.S society again?

Has he? I'm hunting around for it, I've seen that about half the counties have extended it in the last few days, but not seeing anything offhand for the State, which I'm fine with. That said, given Trump tends to go tit-for-tat, Newsom's latest on Anderson Cooper is https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/492324-california-governor-praises-trumps-efforts-to-help-state-amid
    California Governor Gavin Newsom offers strong praise for Pres. Trump's handling of the coronavirus in relation to his state saying, "every single direct request that he was capable of meeting, he has met... I have to be complimentary, otherwise I would be simply lying to you."

How are you claiming that I'm inferring, when you're doing the same thing? Is it another Trumpian one rule for you and one rule for everyone else?

Trump has spent weeks/months whining about doctors wanting social distancing and he still hasn't even ordered it, just set out guidelines that states can choose to follow if they want.

As for the video, Fauci is a member of the task force and is hardly going to go out and say the opposite to the policy of his boss, especially when they had minimal evidence to support their opinion (because the Trump was making such a mess of testing). What he says publicly and privately can be very different so is proof of nothing.

99%... I can watch his press conference with no outside interference or reporting to know that there is a nutter at the wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

99%... I can watch his press conference with no outside interference or reporting to know that there is a nutter at the wheel

MSM means anyone that doesn’t support Trump at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

In another sign of the abject failure of this Administration to do anything good for the economy, the deficit is projected to be bigger than the economy this year. First time since WWII.
    "...debt will grow from just under 80 percent of GDP prior to the crisis to over 100 percent of GDP by the end of Fiscal Year 2020, on October 1."

http://www.crfb.org/blogs/new-projections-debt-will-exceed-size-economy-year

Imagine if there weren't that tax cut a few years ago. Wouldn't be nearly this bad. But, debt's o.k. when the GOP runs it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

It's remarkable that anyone can think that 99% of negative coverage of Trump is purely down to a political agenda. The amount of things he's done since taking office that would sink most political careers can't even be counted at this stage. He isn't even close to being fit to be a small town mayor, never mind president of the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,460 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

One can certainly understand Cuomo's reasoning. We've hashed over this before in the discussion on the federal stockpiles. However, the bottom line is that rural counties in upstate New York which had previously put the assets in place are as now about as well equipped as rural counties in West Virginia which never had them in the first place. (And in the case of Lincoln County, it's only 30 miles from the county seat to the city of Huntington, 36 to Charleston, the State Capitol, so it's not as if they won't have access to an ICU facility. Of course, there are other counties which are much further out from 'civilisation'.)

Would I be right in thinking that that equipment has been taken from hospitals that are private companies? It would set a pretty poor example for the future: Investing in equipment for future disasters is only going to result in that excess capacity being raided to benefit hospitals that saved on costs by not investing at all.

• Advertisement

Watching Bloomberg Markets channel, it lists on its scroll-down side bar that the USSC is hearing arguments in cases before it via telephone. I assume that means tele-audio/visual means due to the virus outbreak. There was no mention of what case was being heard. The scroll-bar also included mention of the death from Covid-19 complications of a USS Theodore Roosevelt crew member - R.I.P. https://www.newsweek.com/navy-sailor-uss-theodore-roosevelt-dies-covid-19-1497529

Bloomberg is also covering a live-feed tele-visual conference of SIX NorthEastern Governors from Gov Cuomos large conference room.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement