Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

aloyisious wrote: »
    There's a cautionary "right now" before the rest of his statement in the picture image you posted. That indicates Dr Fauci knew in Feb the situation was fluid and changing as more information becomes clear as to the potential effect of the Covid-19 virus.

Well, everyone knew it was fluid and changing tbf. Trump also said many times that the situation could likely get worse, just that it wasn't inevitable, given that optimism and cheerleading (as he likes to call it) is more his way. The oft repeated 'disappear' remark for example was followed with "one day" (which is not so oft repeated, wonder why) but the point I was making was that it doesn't make sense to suggest (as it was) that Fauci was being diplomatic with the truth and blames Trump for not doing things which he had apparently suggested (such as social distancing etc) when we have the guy on camera at the end of Feb clearly saying that he didn't feel that was necessary at that time.
    Accordingly as the virus situation in the U.S [the big picture bed-patient potential] changed, he upped his advice to the president and to the actual patient, the U.S.

Absolutely and the President/Administration complied with the new measures. The interview quote I posted by the way was from March 22nd and I (as of yet) see no evidence that any suggestions by Fauci/CDC were ignored or overruled to any great extent, just the media's suggestion that he said that. Six One News just reported for example that Trump and Fauci are at "loggerheads".
    Re the "get Trump" issue, it's possible that when he starts playing ball with the medical experts on his team on the issue and stops putting his opinion ahead of their expertise when it come to the treatment course they have told him is necessary to prevent the virus ..

What do you mean here when you say he hasn't played ball with the "treatment course they have told him is necessary to prevent the virus"?
    killing more thousands of U.S citizens, he might get some respect from people who are presently calling him to account for his ignoring the medics advice and putting his instinct [political?] ahead of all else.

Again, can you be specific: Which medical advice has he has ignored which would 'prevent' the virus? I get that there has been some disagreement re hydroxychloroquine, but you seem to be suggesting there was advice he ignored which would have led to less people contracting the virus.

I know he spoke of 'hope' for Easter Sunday but beyond that kind of thing I am not seeing anything that would justify the claim that his inaction on, or the dismissal of, resulted in the death of thousands of US citizens. I mean, don't get me wrong, both sides (see below for some examples of the democrats) clearly said some dumb things early on, but I just don't think it's fair to suggest that such people are in anyway responsible for anyone who subsequently died from the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Yeah, I can see how counties such as the one in the article would have to have an emergency fund set aside to pay for suddenly needed items, facilities & staff, something hard to do when all hell has broken loose in the market for all three.

Would Don and state governors be empowered to bring in price restrictions where the necessary medical items for use against the virus [in hospitals and other places] are concerned rather than just let the market-place decide the price charged so that price gouging would be a NO-NO punishable by fines, imprisonment and other penalties [loss of directorship etc]? Has there been mention of such temporary laws/orders being passed at all levels needed?

I'd also have in mind the seizure of any and all price-gouged medical stock items and payment made at pre-outbreak cost to the firm/co concerned.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,386 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

kowloon wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that that equipment has been taken from hospitals that are private companies? It would set a pretty poor example for the future: Investing in equipment for future disasters is only going to result in that excess capacity being raided to benefit hospitals that saved on costs by not investing at all.

I have absolutely no idea. Your idea is not beyond possibility, but it may also depend a little bit on the nature of the relationship between the local and State governments (eg are they contracted to provide a service, and if so, to whom?)
    Would Don and state governors be empowered to bring in price restrictions where the necessary medical items for use against the virus [in hospitals and other places] are concerned rather than just let the market-place decide the price charged so that price gouging would be a NO-NO punishable by fines, imprisonment and other penalties [loss of directorship etc]? Has there been mention of such temporary laws/orders being passed at all levels needed?

I don't know about federal law, but certainly it seems to be within the remit of State government. For example, in my neck of the woods:
    https://www.fox7austin.com/news/texas-ag-will-aggressively-prosecute-anyone-price-gouging-during-coronavirus-pandemic

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is reminding everyone that his office will “aggressively” investigate and prosecute anyone, including retail suppliers, who is price gouging in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

State law prohibits price gouging after a disaster has been declared, and both President Donald Trump and Governor Greg Abbott have declared a disaster.
    [...]
    Those who are found guilty of price gouging may be required to reimburse the victims, and may be fined up to $10,000 for each violation, with an additional fine of up to $250,000 for those price gouging the elderly.

At the local level, penalties in my county for price gouging (Defined as selling items for a price higher than that on a certain date, I think March 19), is a $1,000 fine and/or 180 days in jail.

There are no exceptions for selling to hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Well, everyone knew it was fluid and changing tbf. Trump also said many times that the situation could likely get worse, just that it wasn't inevitable, given that optimism and cheerleading (as he likes to call it) is more his way. The oft repeated 'disappear' remark for example was followed with "one day" (which is not so oft repeated, wonder why) but the point I was making was that it doesn't make sense to suggest (as it was) that Fauci was being diplomatic with the truth and blames Trump for not doing things which he had apparently suggested (such as social distancing etc) when we have the guy on camera at the end of Feb clearly saying that he didn't feel that was necessary at that time.

Absolutely and the President/Administration complied with the new measures. The interview quote I posted by the way was from March 22nd and I (as of yet) see no evidence that any suggestions by Fauci/CDC were ignored or overruled to any great extent, just the media's suggestion that he said that. Six One News just reported for example that Trump and Fauci are at "loggerheads. Quote:

The only interview I see in your post is from 29/02/2020 and that is the date you wrote in the para above the Dr Fauci video which has the same date on it. I seem to have missed the March 22 interview quote you mention as being in your original post. I see you are again ignoring the two words used by Dr Fauci at the start of the televised/recorded video you included in your post.

Ref Dr Fauci being ignored by Don in matters that Dr Fauci is expert in, I can only suggest you have a look back at the white house press briefings at which Don and the Dr were present talking to the press and see the occasions where the Dr stepped forward and make statements directly contradictory to those made immediately before by Don [purely on the grounds of sound medical advice to the public].

Are you saying that Dr Fauci carries as much blame as Don for the present virus outbreak situation the U.S finds itself in? If so, do you also include the members of Don's Admin team who have been found to have had current knowledge of the emerging outbreak situation since Dec last? One thing I haven't been able to find is the date Dr Fauci joined/became a member of the presidents advisory group on Covid-19.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Absolutely and the President/Administration complied with the new measures. The interview quote I posted by the way was from March 22nd and I (as of yet) see no evidence that any suggestions by Fauci/CDC were ignored or overruled to any great extent, just the media's suggestion that he said that. Six One News just reported for example that Trump and Fauci are at "loggerheads".

What do you mean here when you say he hasn't played ball with the "treatment course they have told him is necessary to prevent the virus"?

Again, can you be specific: Which medical advice has he has ignored which would 'prevent' the virus? I get that there has been some disagreement re hydroxychloroquine, but you seem to be suggesting there was advice he ignored which would have led to less people contracting the virus.

I know he spoke of 'hope' for Easter Sunday but beyond that kind of thing I am not seeing anything that would justify the claim that his inaction on, or the dismissal of, resulted in the death of thousands of US citizens. I mean, don't get me wrong, both sides (see below for some examples of the democrats) clearly said some dumb things early on, but I just don't think it's fair to suggest that such people are in anyway responsible for anyone who subsequently died from the virus.

Optimism isn't his job. Realism is. Screaming and shouting about ratings is not his job. Focusing on the virus and the response is. Shouting about his ratings as if they were more important than the thousands dying is minimising the entire thing. There is ample evidence that community leaders are not taking this seriously in the US. From religious leaders holding services to elected officials only finding out recently that this can be spread by asymptomatic people. Trump needs to be out and center telling people to stay in, they are listening to those broadcasts and seeing those tweets reported on the news. If he had tried and failed that would be one thing but Trump continues to downplay the seriousness of the virus by repeated talk of reopening and going on as if ratings were important.

Do you know what Leo's ratings were? Or Merkels? No one gives a hoot and neither do they because they have more important things to worry about.

Giving out medical advice that is corroborated by his medical staff is not a good thing and in many cases in the real world would lead to legal action. We know it is against their wishes to push the drugs because Trump very specifically stopped them from answering when they were asked.

Trump has blamed China (and complimented them again afterwards) , Obama, the WHO. The fact remains many people have said the US was at a serious risk of a pandemic and he had 3 years to prepare the US. As someone who had healthcare as a major cornerstone of his campaign this is where he should earning those votes. It isn't leadership. It is complete and utter cowardice when his country needs him to step up.

As for Fauci there must be some disagreement as Trump is talking about firing him. Why do that if there hasn't been any disagreement? Though it is obvious from the tone. Trump strikes the hopeful one in an effort to seem like less of a failure and Fauci has consistently been more toned down and realistic because he recognises his job isn't to say that he is great. His job is to say what is happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,707 ✭✭✭eire4

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It's remarkable that anyone can think that 99% of negative coverage of Trump is purely down to a political agenda. The amount of things he's done since taking office that would sink most political careers can't even be counted at this stage. He isn't even close to being fit to be a small town mayor, never mind president of the US.

In fairness I would suggest that most people saying that the negative coverage is down to a political agenda against the president are being disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Christy42 wrote: »
    Optimism isn't his job. Realism is. Screaming and shouting about ratings is not his job. Focusing on the virus and the response is. Shouting about his ratings as if they were more important than the thousands dying is minimising the entire thing. There is ample evidence that community leaders are not taking this seriously in the US. From religious leaders holding services to elected officials only finding out recently that this can be spread by asymptomatic people. Trump needs to be out and center telling people to stay in, they are listening to those broadcasts and seeing those tweets reported on the news. If he had tried and failed that would be one thing but Trump continues to downplay the seriousness of the virus by repeated talk of reopening and going on as if ratings were important.

Do you know what Leo's ratings were? Or Merkels? No one gives a hoot and neither do they because they have more important things to worry about.

Giving out medical advice that is corroborated by his medical staff is not a good thing and in many cases in the real world would lead to legal action. We know it is against their wishes to push the drugs because Trump very specifically stopped them from answering when they were asked.

Trump has blamed China (and complimented them again afterwards) , Obama, the WHO. The fact remains many people have said the US was at a serious risk of a pandemic and he had 3 years to prepare the US. As someone who had healthcare as a major cornerstone of his campaign this is where he should earning those votes. It isn't leadership. It is complete and utter cowardice when his country needs him to step up.

As for Fauci there must be some disagreement as Trump is talking about firing him. Why do that if there hasn't been any disagreement? Though it is obvious from the tone. Trump strikes the hopeful one in an effort to seem like less of a failure and Fauci has consistently been more toned down and realistic because he recognises his job isn't to say that he is great. His job is to say what is happening.

Up to now, this presidency has been all fun and games for trump and the republicans who are going along for the ride. But now his first major crises has showed him for what he is: an inept lying buffoon who is treating his job as a reality TV show. Its always somebody else's fault and if anyone disagrees with him he fires them and gets yes-men in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Look at this rag tag bunch of family members and fools that Trump has put together to decide when he thinks the economy should reopen.

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1249777787117985793?s=20

He will not be happy about the group of governors that are coming together to decide when their states will.

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1249765507131232257?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Look at this rag tag bunch of family members and fools that Trump has put together to decide when he thinks the economy should reopen.

https://twitter.com/JustinWolfers/status/1249777787117985793?s=20

He will not be happy about the group of governors that are coming together to decide when their states will.

https://twitter.com/GovMurphy/status/1249765507131232257?s=20

Missed that California, Oregon, & Washington also have a west coast group.

That is at least 1/3 of the US economy that Trump isn't deciding anything for when it comes to reopening. Many others on the east coast, like Maryland, DC, and Virginia will also follow those other states.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

20 hotels in NYC have responded to state requests to make hotels available to first responders.

Astonishing that Trump's properties haven't led by example here.

Not astonishing at all but a very simple PR win at least.

But there you have it. With the man himself it's not 'America first'. It's Trump first. No taxes records, hats made in China etc etc.

Can't believe Pete thinks it's the media that makes him look bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Midlife wrote: »
    20 hotels in NYC have responded to state requests to make hotels available to first responders.

Astonishing that Trump's properties haven't led by example here.

Not astonishing at all but a very simple PR win at least.

But there you have it. With the man himself it's not 'America first'. It's Trump first. No taxes records, hats made in China etc etc.

Can't believe Pete thinks it's the media that makes him look bad.

Probably baulking at the missing $50 per night that they charge...

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Not sure why you're inferring from Fauci's comments that he was criticizing Trump, he wasn't.

True, which is why when it comes to Coronavirus mitigation efforts Trump has "ALWAYS" listened to Dr.Fauci and "NEVER" overruled him.

It's not what I think or infer that matters - It's Trump.

If Trump didn't think Fauci was being critical of him why the retweet of the OANN journalist saying that Fauci should be fired for disagreeing with Trump????

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's not what I think or infer that matters - It's Trump.

If Trump didn't think Fauci was being critical of him why the retweet of the OANN journalist saying that Fauci should be fired for disagreeing with Trump????

Firing Fauci could backfire spectacularly.

hopefully

Fauci confirming (the obvious) that he wasn't having a go at Trump yesterday and that Trump went with his recommendations.

That's what Trump called 'Fake News'.

Disgusting comment from the reporter there "Are you doing this voluntarily?"

MSM always fishing. Always trying to divide.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Fauci confirming (the obvious) that he wasn't having a go at Trump yesterday and that Trump went with his recommendations.

Where do you get your news?

We need a filter for this acronym.

As soon as I see it I just ignore the rest of the post/tweet/article etc

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Media clips now lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

This is something lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Do you wish to tell us that having a tweet out stating Fauci should be fired is not evidence of a divide? That seems pretty clear evidence of a divide to me.

Blaming msm for trying to divide while Trump is literally saying he should fire this guy. I can't see the logic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

He is on form tonight ! Must have working on this all weekend in Mar—“a”— lar- gooo

Excellent. MSM and the sanctimonious disingenuous democrats getting slayed!

This is exactly what they need. Enough of their lies!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

California, Washington and Oregon are making arrangements to align their strategy and re-opening policy.

States are forming blocs to be guided by the science and the actual health outcomes of issues arising from the Covid-19 pandemic.

The United States are forming sub-groups of United States because they have lost faith in the federal government.
    Forming mini-blocs of support and leadership to try and fill the vacuum that Trump's leadership has riven.

I find it somewhat ironic that in the UK and the US that the BoJo and Don strategy of Nationalist jingoism may well lead to the break up of both.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/california-washington-oregon-announce-coronavirus-pact/2272094/

You're not even trying anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    You're not even trying anymore.

Must be watching a totally different presser than the rest of us :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭relax carry on

This is exactly what they need. Enough of their lies!

God, viewing the world in high definition Trump-O-Vision must get tiring after a while.

Media clips now lol.
    Thepoet85 wrote: »
    This is something lol.

What happened?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,551 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

What happened?

Trumps arguing with press :pac:

This is nuts, looks like he's gonna blow a gasket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,318 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Funny
    CNN have plastered on the screen

"Angry Trump turns briefing into Propaganda session"

He's been doing this since day 1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement