Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,356 ✭✭✭✭8-10

It's not that much money either in the grand scheme of things

• Registered Users Posts: 15,622 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    It's almost entertaining that each time he gets to make a decision, he always chooses the exact worst option. There's plenty of time for looking at the WHO response after this is over, but de-funding it now is utterly dumb and will negatively affect everyone. The guy doesn't have a single clue what he is doing.

It has nothing to do with defunding the WHO. Any shortfall will be covered by other countries.

It is about getting someone to blame, get people talking about the WHO.

And it works. People are now discussion the suitability, and culpability, of the WHO rather that talking about Trump and his lack of action in February. He has successfully moved the narrative to what was a very uncomfortable position to one that makes no difference to anyone.

Not one person in the US (or anywhere) is going to change their vote based on a candidates position on the WHO, it is simply not important enough to the average person. $500m is buttons in US spending terms.

But people will vote for a leader they believe is standing up for them and/or their country. That is all this is aimed at.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

His only defense is he implemented Chinese flight band before anyone else. I wish the reporters would point out that he wasn't the first and was very late to the party and his Chinese and European flight bans were actually ineffectual restrictions and there was still pretty much free travel for most people between America and these regions.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,590 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

As Nero fiddled while Rome burned, Donald golfed while the virus made its way to, and across the USA.

He golfed during a time where he should have been preparing his country for the crisis that was coming.
    He golfed.....

And to make matters worse, he had an instruction manual ALREADY there, prepared and finalised only 3 years earlier.... A manual on how to react at different stages of a global crisis that would become a pandemic in early March.

Of course, he ignored this document. He fired (and did not replace) the people who had the ability to administer it.

Nope.... He golfed....

And when he wasn't golfing, he was holding his propaganda rallies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

So this is excellent. Watched it last night after Trumps presser and it really hit home how the landscape has shifted. A prominent Republican on a mainstream chatshow. He actually gets applause for a few points and has the balls to speak controversially about Vietnam. ie they should stay involved for a little longer.

The Gipper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

8-10 wrote: »
    It's not that much money either in the grand scheme of things

It could just a penny (incidentally it's about 0.07%of what the airlines just got), but with Trump its all about distraction, blame, and zero accountability, without addressing their own failures.

Much like his defence at the senate impeachment trial

If Trump would stop golfing the US could probably pay the WHO contributions with the money they saved flying him to his own resorts and wasting money on golf carts for the secret service.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The only annoying thing is how it works every time, people take the bait each time instead of reporting it and commenting on it as - "President Trump tried to shift blame and scapegoat another individual/organisation yet again today as he continues to demonstrate just how unfit for a leadership role he is day after day"

That's it, don't give it any further discussion than that and it loses its power to distract and he has to try another tactic.

He is pathetic, he is a joke, but you don't have to play along with it. Just acknowledge it for what it is and move on.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭amandstu

The only annoying thing is how it works every time, people take the bait each time instead of reporting it and commenting on it as - "President Trump tried to shift blame and scapegoat another individual/organisation yet again today as he continues to demonstrate just how unfit for a leadership role he is day after day"

That's it, don't give it any further discussion than that and it loses its power to distract and he has to try another tactic.

He is pathetic, he is a joke, but you don't have to play along with it. Just acknowledge it for what it is and move on.

Is there evidence that people (on his "own side") don't see through it?

Seems blatantly transparent to me ,and even his "own side" know him for the pos he is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

amandstu wrote: »
    Is there evidence that people (on his "own side") don't see through it?

Seems blatantly transparent to me ,and even his "own side" know him for the pos he is.

I don't think they care. They defended him when he ridiculed a disabled reporter, boasted about grabbing women by their genitals and heavily implied that Mexicans coming to the US are violent criminals to provide just three examples.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

The blame finger doesn't work for him any more. With the internet, it's like the finger in the trigger guard of the gun he's pointing at himself. I'm surprised that the troll farms operated by his friends haven't been getting in on the action protecting him.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

hetuzozaho wrote: »

He's an extremely insecure man - having not followed him too closely over the years - where does the insecurity come from? Any good bios/docs on him?

This guy worked with him on the Apprentice and Miss Teen USA. He says some outrageous things that surely have to be true as he hasn't been sued yet???

https://twitter.com/CaslerNoel

Fox News, paid for by the republican party, would never shoot themselves in the foot

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Just heard that he's cut the WHO funding!!!!??? Is this guy mentally disabled or something!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Just heard that he's cut the WHO funding!!!!??? Is this guy mentally disabled or something!!??

Being a sociopath is not formally recognised as a mental disability.

Is Trump a sociopath?

According to one website, these are some of the common traits which sociopaths possess.
    • Glibness and Superficial Charm
    • Manipulative and Conning
    • Grandiose Sense of Self
    • Pathological Lying
    • Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
    • Shallow Emotions
    • Incapacity for Love
    • Need for Stimulation
    • Callousness/Lack of Empathy
    • Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
    • Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
    • Irresponsibility/Unreliability
    • Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
    • Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
    • Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility

Do you think Donald possesses any of these?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

amdublin wrote: »
    This guy worked with him on the Apprentice and Miss Teen USA. He says some outrageous things that surely have to be true as he hasn't been sued yet???

I'm just reading through this thread now. There's some serious allegations in there. And none of it surprising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

He's really indulging with the cult of personality tropes by insisting his name is on the stimulus cheques. When will he commission the 20ft gold statues of himself in every US town?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

amdublin wrote: »

I'm just reading through this thread now. There's some serious allegations in there. And none of it surprising.

Same reason Bill Cosby never sued Hannibal Buress.

I'm sure that there is some degree of hyperbole there from the guy , but suing him for defamation or the like would open Trump up to legal disclosure - So for example , all those alleged outtakes from the Apprentice etc. would have to be released if they exist.

So , it's less about what that guy says and more about what suing him would open up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,787 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Being a sociopath is not formally recognised as a mental disability.

Is Trump a sociopath?

According to one website, these are some of the common traits which sociopaths possess.
    • Glibness and Superficial Charm
    • Manipulative and Conning
    • Grandiose Sense of Self
    • Pathological Lying
    • Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt
    • Shallow Emotions
    • Incapacity for Love
    • Need for Stimulation
    • Callousness/Lack of Empathy
    • Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature
    • Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency
    • Irresponsibility/Unreliability
    • Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity
    • Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle
    • Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility

Do you think Donald possesses any of these?

Hes clearly a sociopath. Always has been. Yet the Dems sill still go down the "oh hes a terrible person" route. Yeah, we already know. Yet he still won in 2016. How about trying something different?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The Nal wrote: »
    Hes clearly a sociopath. Always has been. Yet the Dems sill still go down the "oh hes a terrible person" route. Yeah, we already know. Yet he still won in 2016. How about trying something different?

Such as?

In 2016, it was, 'This guy is a sociopath, he is going to be bad for the country'.
    Now it's, 'This guy is a sociopath, look at how bad he has been for the country'.

Communicating that though is the challenge in a society so partisan and entrenched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Trump's just terrified because this is all on him.

For the first time he can't

A: Blame Obama
    B: Say it's all great

He can't spin this as a win and he has no-one to attack.

So he looks to pick fights with governess and goes after the WHO. That's him flailing about looking for a target.

But there isn't one and everyone knows that.

He's actually going to be judged on outcomes and that should terrify him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Same reason Bill Cosby never sued Hannibal Buress.

I'm sure that there is some degree of hyperbole there from the guy , but suing him for defamation or the like would open Trump up to legal disclosure - So for example , all those alleged outtakes from the Apprentice etc. would have to be released if they exist.

So , it's less about what that guy says and more about what suing him would open up.

Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

You'll be surprised how interesting watching paint dry can be. I put a Youtube video up about it, 25 minutes long, just shy of 45,000 views right now. There is a ten-hour video (Not mine) which is the best part of a half-million views.

I'm not sure what to make of the WHO business, mainly because I have only so much time in the day. They certainly seem to be having issues with the other China. (Or the other China is having issues with WHO). https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-52230833

I'm fairly sure The Atlantic doesn't lean right wing (Granted, I could be wrong)
    https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2020/04/world-health-organization-blame-pandemic-coronavirus/609820/

Given his background and election, it wouldn't surprise me if the current WHO leadership is a tad pro-CCP. If you'll forgive the overly dramatic Daily Mail link, but I believe the history to be generally factual. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8199719/Dr-Tedros-Ghebreyesus-career-politician-running-China-centric-WHO.html

The WHO are little more than a propaganda arm of the Chinese communist party, but stopping funding would only allow China more control of the org which would be really bad. Reforming it should be the long term goal, but this threat from Trump isn't the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Midlife wrote: »
    Trump's just terrified because this is all on him.

For the first time he can't

A: Blame Obama
    B: Say it's all great

He can't spin this as a win and he has no-one to attack.

So he looks to pick fights with governess and goes after the WHO. That's him flailing about looking for a target.

But there isn't one and everyone knows that.

He's actually going to be judged on outcomes and that should terrify him.

I mean he has absolutely tried A and B in this case as well. Just it isn't working as well. Unfortunately the basic strategy of point out something else isn't perfect and stick it all on that still seems to work. So here we have the WHO which isn't perfect and therefore means we can forget about all of Americas flaws. And I suspect it will work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

TV news is actually getting better at it, thanks to the gifts he is giving them, but print somehow still quite often just quotes Trump in their headline.

More and more shows are doing what they did in the first few minutes of the below, overlaying Trump's current words with Trump's previous statements and tweets. He is getting his ratings from his press conferences but he is making it so much easier for the media and political opponents to hold him to account.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,711 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Registered Users Posts: 11,555 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/AndySlater/status/1250196152517001216

Vince McMahon and Dana White...good god.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Gintonious wrote: »

Smart, smart people!
    Top people! Very smart and great epidemiologists too!

Ever wonder who looked after the Ark at the end of raiders?!

It was top, top people!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Gintonious wrote: »

They are all Sports team owners right ? - I know Goodell is/was the CEO of the NFL.

Has he mentioned anyone with actual relevant experience ?
    Economists , Public Health experts, that kind of thing?

Or just mega wealthy boosters??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,555 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    They are all Sports team owners right ? - I know Goodell is/was the CEO of the NFL.

Has he mentioned anyone with actual relevant experience ?
    Economists , Public Health experts, that kind of thing?

Or just mega wealthy boosters??

Probably people he likes...because that is how you run a government in a time like this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement