Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    I find that Major Garret's nightly podcast "Debriefing the Briefing" is very good at picking out the news from the waffle, BS and propaganda...

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/debriefing-the-briefing/id1505853304

Cheers for that - have been looking for some new podcasts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭rapul

zweton wrote: »
    Missed it tonight, how was he?

Tame. Watch cnn now for analysis

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

zweton wrote: »
    Missed it tonight, how was he?

What's becoming the normal now is:

- talk about stopping China travel
    - look down on other countries
    - get the ball games open, and lots of seats in restaurants is a top priority
    - say how great it's all going and that he'll keep it under 100,000 deaths.
    - REALLY short Q and A I find these days, as he has tied himself up in knots and gets annoyed with reporters quoting his rubbish from the days before.

Tonight he added that he was reopening America, but kind of looks like he is not and not a whole lot is going to happen in that regard. It got extremely vague, suspiciously so ha.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

hetuzozaho wrote: »

He may struggle there, and if he gets his way about opening sports events etc then they good as definitely will soar far and above it.

They have 7,000 dead in the last 72 hours. Basically one ever 25 seconds. About a half dozen Americans have died of coronavirus in the time it took me to look other population densities and type this.

Another has died in the time it took anyone to read this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Quin_Dub wrote: »

That was a great read.

---

So what did I miss tonight?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

God that was pathetic

Yeah, but remember that time when he was so ambiguous about nazis that people to this day love to argue about how he didn't outright call them good people?

That's the bar.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    What's becoming the normal now is:

- talk about stopping China travel
    - look down on other countries
    - get the ball games open, and lots of seats in restaurants is a top priority
    - REALLY short Q and A I find these days, as he has tied himself up in knots and gets annoyed with reporters quoting his rubbish from the days before.

Tonight he added that he was reopening America, but kind of looks like he is not and not a whole lot is going to happen in that regard. It got extremely vague, suspiciously so ha.

So tomorrow we're going to get loads of "what the president meant to say" talking head aren't we?

He may struggle there, and if he gets his way about opening sports events etc then they good as definitely will soar far and above it.

They have 7,000 dead in the last 72 hours. Basically one ever 25 seconds. About a half dozen Americans have died of coronavirus in the time it took me to look other population densities and type this.

Another has died in the time it took anyone to read this post.

This is a stunning post and if I could thank it twice I could.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

You're absolutely correct in what you say here. But the numbers are all we have so you take them.

Ireland doesn't say that "that's all there is" but we're doing what we can. Like the German backlog, they are slowly being reintroduced into the headline figures.

American figures range from the horrific but balls-on accurate in NY to the horrific and "who knows" in Florida.

Off-topic I know , but it's akin to the frankly horrifying bit of Information I discovered yesterday about the UK , despite the fact that they are reporting a death rate many multiples of ours - Those figures only count those that died in Hospitals , none of the deaths in Care Homes etc. are in that already massive total.

If their ratios are anything like what's happening here , then the UK death rate could be close to double what's being officially recorded.

Given the lack of a single centralised and agreed methodology in the US , who the hell knows what their actual total is.

Off-topic I know , but it's akin to the frankly horrifying bit of Information I discovered yesterday about the UK , despite the fact that they are reporting a death rate many multiples of ours - Those figures only count those that died in Hospitals , none of the deaths in Care Homes etc. are in that already massive total.

If their ratios are anything like what's happening here , then the UK death rate could be close to double what's being officially recorded.

Given the lack of a single centralised and agreed methodology in the US , who the hell knows what their actual total is.

I've posted about that on the UK response thread a few times. I just can't believe the media in Britain aren't making a bigger deal.

I mean, the ONS figures in Scotland highlighted the massive discrepancy and nothing was said, the numbers were just shoved in to the dataset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Read today that police, acting on a tip off went to a care home somewhere in New Jersey and found 17 dead bodies. I had to read the headline again, like something from a movie review.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,621 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

This is the critical part - There is absolutely no one that did not Vote for Trump in 2016 that will vote for him this time around (cue someone producing some interview with a "I voted for Hilary but I'll vote for Trump now" person)

His total percentage of the vote will be at the absolute best the same as it was in 2016 and realistically it will be lower given everything that has happened and will happen over the next 6 months in terms of the economy etc.

I fully expect Biden to greatly exceed the popular vote margin from 2016

He's underwater in all of the swing states that got him over the line the last time and some by a fair margin.

If Trump wins , it will have far more to do with Voter suppression and gerrymandering than popularity. Hence the absolute terror amongst the GOP about mail in voting.

Apart from possibly this guy.
    Georgia Democratic legislator Vernon Jones endorsed Trump on April 14

Linky link

Apart from possibly this guy.

Linky link

Unsurprising though?:

Involvement with Earl Paulk
    Jones was accused (in a lawsuit brought by Mona Brewer against Earl Paulk of Chapel Hill Harvester Church) of using money from a $125 million green space bond sale to purchase a Decatur, GA church building from Paulk for $2.4 million, a sum claimed to be unjustifiably in excess of the land's actual value. The County made no use of the property, and the building was later leased to a start-up cable network for a token sum of a dollar per year. During the ensuing court case, the plaintiff alleged that, as part of a questionable relationship, Paulk arranged for a sexual encounter between Jones and one of Paulk's former mistresses. When deposed, Jones refused to answer questions relating to that incident, as well as a number of other questions involving his dealings with Paulk. That case was ultimately withdrawn by the plaintiff's attorney, Louis Levenson, who felt that the judge in the case was biased against his client. The case was subsequently refiled and drew a different judge.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vernon_Jones

---

He seems like a tremendous guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,032 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

amdublin wrote: »
    This is a very "fox tv" type of statement.

i would lean on the side of right (in certain aspects) in fairness, which fox is. its trump's nickname for him. politics aside, you can agree its a fun and harmless jibe though?

is there any balanced mainstream news channel in the us?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Well if you ever wondered why the Republicans and Trump agreed to the Corona bill...
    The loophole was included as a provision in the sweeping $2.2tn Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act, according to a report published by the Joint Commission on Taxation. Democrats who ordered the report have since accused Republicans of having “wrongly seized on this health emergency to reward ultrarich beneficiaries, likely including the Trump family”, and called for the tax break to be immediately repealed.

The Joint Commission on Taxation said that a staggering “82 per cent of the benefits of the policy go to about 43,000 taxpayers who earn more than $1m annually”. Those 43,000 taxpayers eligible for the loophole would receive an average windfall of nearly $1.7m — a figure confirmed by the commission’s calculations and first reported by Forbes.
    To put that in perspective to the act itself for your average person...
    Those earning $75,00 or less annually were set to receive the full $1,200, while taxpayers earning more would see smaller amounts based on a sliding scale. No one making more than $99,000 would receive any portion of the economic impact payments included in the CARES Act.
    So as usual Republican politics it's a to ensure the rich gets more money and they could sell it to Trump on the fact he'd make money into his own pockets. But that's ok, Trump is the bestest president eva!

Full article is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

What am I missing? All posts between 3 am and 9 am are not displaying on my browser....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

What am I missing? All posts between 3 am and 9 am are not displaying on my browser....

I think a mod just cleared out a pile of nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Nody wrote: »
    Well if you ever wondered why the Republicans and Trump agreed to the Corona bill...

So as usual Republican politics it's a to ensure the rich gets more money and they could sell it to Trump on the fact he'd make money into his own pockets. But that's ok, Trump is the bestest president eva!

Full article is here.

Hold on a second!! Surely this is not just Republicans who snuck this in... Didn't Democrats vote for this act as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Hold on a second!! Surely this is not just Republicans who snuck this in... Didn't Democrats vote for this act as well?

When there was significant oversight and pretty much because if they didn't it would have held up all relief.

Check out the Dems demands from the process. The US would be in a better state if they had their way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nody wrote: »

Full article is here.

And on the flip side..

The Small Business loan fund that was set up as part of this package is already used up

But Multi-millionaires need another tax break..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52317673

It's like they can't even try not to be scumbags for even 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Nothing will happen to her. This administration has no accountability.

However, I do wonder if it will embolden those protesting against lockdowns to venture out into the public. Given that they seem to be armed to the teeth, it could be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Thargor wrote: »
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52317673

It's like they can't even try not to be scumbags for even 5 minutes.

Reporters should question Orange Don about this at his propaganda briefing tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,174 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Reporters should question Orange Don about this at his propaganda briefing tonight.

To what end? He will just attack, deflect and ultimately ignore.

More important things to question him about than his families hypocrisy.

Question him about testing, nail him about testing. Sure he will attack, deflect and ultimately ignore or just shut it down like he did last night apparently because he can't do anything with questions about testing, but at least there is absolutely no wiggle room to pretend the questions were anything other than highly relevant and not politically motivated.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,714 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please do not question mod actions on this thread.

I deleted various posts as they were off topic, below standard and/or responses to these. There were a fair few of these and I forgot to add a note.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

So it looks like he's encouraging more of these protesters with these recent tweets. I don't think I can say how strongly I detest this man

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251169987110330372

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251169217531056130

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1251168994066944003

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Dillonb3 wrote: »
    So it looks like he's encouraging more of these protesters with these recent tweets. I don't think I can say how strongly I detest this man

How is this not in breech of twitters rule of encitement to violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,747 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Dillonb3 wrote: »

Liberate?
    The people leading this protests are dopes!
    Oh the state government said there was going to be 10k deaths!
    Where are the bodies, it's a lie...
    Those deaths haven't happened because the lockdown broke chains of transmission!!!
    Gowls!

The 1st and 2nd amendments and their implementation and interpretation in the US will continue to cause trouble until the Yanks realize that constitutions are living documents.

They need to be reviewed and addressed, not held inviolate.
    Even leaving out the rush to protect "hate speech" as a 1st amendment right, the fact that churches are suing state governments due to closures is astounding.

As for the 2nd, it's lunacy.
    One good thing about the shutdown tho, it must be the longest "in-term" period in years that the states hasn't had any school mass shootings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

duploelabs wrote: »
    How is this not in breech of twitters rule of encitement to violence?

If I recall correctly it is both protected as presidential speech/record and does not have the rules of presidential speech/record apply to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

banie01 wrote: »
    Liberate?
    The 1st and 2nd amendments and their implementation and interpretation in the US will continue to cause trouble until the Yanks realize that constitutions are living documents.

They need to be reviewed and addressed, not held inviolate.
    Even leaving out the rush to protect "hate speech" as a 1st amendment right, the fact that churches are suing state governments due to closures is astounding.

As for the 2nd, it's lunacy.
    One good thing about the shutdown tho, it must be the longest "in-term" period in years that the states hasn't had any school mass shootings.

First time since 2002 March didn't have a school shooting

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement