Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

everlast75 wrote: »
    Anyone else notice that any trump supporter fail to post about stuff he's actually done correctly?

They spend their time trying to defend the indefensible and/or trash talk Biden or the Dems.

It's almost like he hasn't achieved anything within the last 3 years, and his day to day handling of his role as president is a constant stream of embarrassing failures...

He's achieved what he set out to achieve.

i) To embed massive corruption, both personal and institutional into an already highly corrupt US political scene, but on a scale never seen before, with an absolute brazenness never seen before. To destroy the rule of law. It was bad before, but Trump has effectively run the US as a mafia state.

ii) He has turned politics into an alternative reality dystopia like exists in totalitarian regimes like Nazi Germany or North Korea, where truth has zero currency and those who believe in truth are steadily ground down. For those who believe in truth, politics and public discusion has a become a daily, emotionally draining grind, often seemingly hopeless - which is exactly what Trump wants. He wants to destroy all opposition using the same techniques as totalitarians did/do. Every single issue can be plugged into his insane far right culture wars framework and rational discussion on each issue completely destroyed, reality turned completely on its head.

iii) He has created massive division within US society through propaganda, classic divide and conquer. Racial divides, class divides, intra-left divides, divides based on gender, divides based on belief in truth or belief in science. When people are divided, effective opposition is very difficult to mount.

iv) He has completely trashed America's international reputation on behalf of Russia, while adopting the fake clothes of patriotism.

To condense all that into one line, he has tried to destroy America. And he's undeniably succeeding on every level.

I keep saying that far too many people are looking at Trump through the wrong lens. They look at it through the lens that he is a good faith actor. He is not a good faith actor. And therefore any statement that "he has achieved nothing" misses the point. Of course he has achieved nothing that normal, rational people would consider an achievement. But he's never been there to achieve anything that normal rational, people would consider an achievement.

His aim was to destroy literally anything that normal, rational people considered good about America.

Look at Trump through the lens of evil, not through the lens of anything else. When you look at him through that lens, boy, has he achieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,932 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I know, it's just a straw in the wind. But the idea that it's a slam dunk for Biden is way off the mark. You can't underestimate the stupidity of large swathes of US voters.

We can disagree on this.

It's a slam dunk for biden. Il screenshot this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

listermint wrote: »
    We can disagree on this.

I hope you're right. Why would you screenshot it?

We can disagree on this.

How can it be a slam dunk for Biden when there is, at the least, a very realistic prospect that the election will be fixed?

I cannot believe that after five years of this, people are still underestimating Trump's willingness and ability to completely corrupt US institutions. He is an existential threat to the US. An aspiring dictator, an existential threat like him will try and fix an election.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Anyone else notice that any trump supporter fail to post about stuff he's actually done correctly?

They spend their time trying to defend the indefensible and/or trash talk Biden or the Dems.

It's almost like he hasn't achieved anything within the last 3 years, and his day to day handling of his role as president is a constant stream of embarrassing failures...

What has he done correctly though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

We can disagree on this.

I tend to agree, reason being, the stakes are so much higher this time around.

The complacency shown by Democratic voters in 2016, when polls showed Hillary as a shoo-in is gone. Voters assumed she was going to win and stayed at home in the mistaken belief their vote wouldn't make a difference. That complacency is gone. Biden is not perfect by any means, but he is nowhere near as divisive as Clinton was.

There was also the fact that many Bernie supporters stayed away from the voting booths in protest. I think they will be a lot more mobilised this election. Of course, some will still not vote for Biden, or perhaps vote for a third party, but not nearly in the same numbers as in 2016, imo.

Thirdly, the election will still hinge, as it has so many times in the past, on the swing states. Polling numbers there are looking good for the democrats. Trump inciting insurrection in three of those states over the last few days won't endear a large swathe of their floating voters. It appeals mainly to his core base, who would have voted for him anyway.

I would be cautiously confident that Biden can win this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

i) To embed massive corruption, both personal and institutional into an already highly corrupt US political scene, but on a scale never seen before, with an absolute brazenness never seen before. To destroy the rule of law. It was bad before, but Trump has effectively run the US as a mafia state.

ii) He has turned politics into an alternative reality dystopia like exists in totalitarian regimes like Nazi Germany or North Korea, where truth has zero currency and those who believe in truth are steadily ground down. For those who believe in truth, politics and public discusion has a become a daily, emotionally draining grind, often seemingly hopeless - which is exactly what Trump wants. He wants to destroy all opposition using the same techniques as totalitarians did/do. Every single issue can be plugged into his insane far right culture wars framework and rational discussion on each issue completely destroyed, reality turned completely on its head.

iii) He has created massive division within US society through propaganda, classic divide and conquer. Racial divides, class divides, intra-left divides, divides based on gender, divides based on belief in truth or belief in science. When people are divided, effective opposition is very difficult to mount.

iv) He has completely trashed America's international reputation on behalf of Russia, while adopting the fake clothes of patriotism.

To condense all that into one line, he has tried to destroy America. And he's undeniably succeeding on every level.

I keep saying that far too many people are looking at Trump through the wrong lens. They look at it through the lens that he is a good faith actor. He is not a good faith actor. And therefore any statement that "he has achieved nothing" misses the point. Of course he has achieved nothing that normal, rational people would consider an achievement. But he's never been there to achieve anything that normal rational, people would consider an achievement.

His aim was to destroy literally anything that normal, rational people considered good about America.

Look at Trump through the lens of evil, not through the lens of anything else. When you look at him through that lens, boy, has he achieved.

What was good about America before Trump?

It seems like a utopia up til 2017.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

This is the postings of a lunatic, no offence intended.

Cultish outlook.

An importation of the worst delusions of American politics, left or right, Blue or Red. People like a Sid were on the fringes of the Tea Party years ago.

The politics is not the point, it is a vehicle for that type of mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I saw earlier this morning that a Green Party TD is saying on twitter that the Biden campaign video about trump is racist. I watched it once and don't recall thinking there was anything racist in it, but I'll rewatch it later today but I just found the statement to make. I remember a time when using that term meant something and I don't think we as a society should throw words like that around loosely.

Danzy wrote: »

Cultish outlook.

An importation of the worst delusions of American politics, left or right, Blue or Red. People like a Sid were on the fringes of the Tea Party years ago.

This here is classic Trump supporter gaslighting, it's proving my point exactly.

Nice bit of personal abuse too into the bargain.

Glib, deliberately disruptive, substance-free "I'm not a Trump supporter but.. (you are, I'm well aware of your form) posts like this have been a feature of this forum and everywhere else where Trump is discussed for years.

And they are designed with one aim in mind - to shut down debate and reduce it to the level of a creche.

Trump supporters all post in the manner that Trump himself "debates" (ie., he doesn't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Cultish outlook.

Cultish??? How?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection?wprov=sfla1

It seems that the part that stated that trump left 40,000 people from china into the US after his banning of flights from china. And again that's a fact but we left our citizens come home from countries of which I'm sure some came from china. Again I'll watch it again but maybe I'm wrong and it is but I can't see it now.

You are on about Nazi Germany and North Korea ffs.

You are no different to the most extreme Trump supporter.

It's the mindset and mentality that drives ye both, politics is just a vehicle for that.

And I've rationally explained why those are deeply appropriate comparisons in terms of the propaganda landscape Trump has created.

You on the other hand think calling somebody "a lunatic", with no follow up - ie. flagrant personal abuse - constitutes "debating".

Trump called actual Nazis "very fine people", you may remember. But that doesn't suit your narrative, does it.

You may be interested to know that the creator of Godwin's Law himself, a Mr. Mike Godwin, amazingly enough, says that Nazi comparisons to Trump and his regime are appropriate.

But I guess he's a "lunatic" as well, at least according to your logic he is.

Must be very comforting to see the world through the lens where anybody who disagrees with you is a "lunatic", as you do.

The lesson of World War II was "never again".

It wasn't "we must never again refer to the Nazis until the next Holocaust has finished", as you seem to think it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

You are on about Nazi Germany and North Korea ffs.

You are no different to the most extreme Trump supporter.

It's the mindset and mentality that drives ye both, politics is just a vehicle for that.

4 years ago i would have agreed with you.

Not any more.

I would put absolutely nothing past Trump.

Nothing.

He has, from the beginning, started a huge power grab. **** the institutions, personal rights or liberties of the general public, **** the deficit, **** the minorities, make as much money for his friends and family as his possibly can.

If Trump could stay in power for the next 10 years he would. He's a frustrated dictator, and this kind of apathy shows you're about 4 years behind everyone else.

I think the posters point was that your essay post was completely ridiculous.
    And here's another gaslighter, they tend to hunt in packs.

You could do a thesis on this sort of trolling tactic.

Having read some of your posts, I'd take it as a compliment that you find my views ridiculous, I'd be disappointed if you didn't.

4 years ago i would have agreed with you.

Not any more.

I would put absolutely nothing past Trump.

Nothing.

He has, from the beginning, started a huge power grab. **** the institutions, personal rights or liberties of the general public, **** the deficit, **** the minorities, make as much money for his friends and family as his possibly can.

If Trump could stay in power for the next 10 years he would. He's a frustrated dictator, and this kind of apathy shows you're about 4 years behind everyone else.

A power grab? What's your definition of a power grab.

America is a federal state after all.

And here's another gaslighter, they tend to hunt in packs.

You could do a thesis on this sort of trolling tactic.

Having read some of your posts, I'd take it as a compliment that you find my views ridiculous, I'd be disappointed if you didn't.

You said he is removing anything good that was in America,

You still haven't said what was so good about America before Trump.

You'll soon find that 99% of the problems existed before he came into office.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I saw earlier this morning that a Green Party TD is saying on twitter that the Biden campaign video about trump is racist. I watched it once and don't recall thinking there was anything racist in it, but I'll rewatch it later today but I just found the statement to make. I remember a time when using that term meant something and I don't think we as a society should throw words like that around loosely.

I wonder what the Green Party think of one of their number supporting someone so anti-environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

I think the posters point was that your essay post was completely ridiculous.

Break down the post then, rebut the argument, explain why it was 'completely ridiculous' in your terms

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Nah, people in the black community are waking up for sure to the lies of the left and seeing that Trump is not the racist many would like everyone to believe him to be, or anything close.
    And yet only 17% of black Americans approve of the job Trump is doing as of March and more than 75% of them have a generally unfavourable view of him, according to recent polls from Gallup and The Economist/YouGov.

What's also fascinating is that the black voting demographics don't even align with your often myopic view of left/liberal vs. right/conservative. Take a look at this Pew Research Center report, for instance - only 28% of black Democrats consider themselves liberal whereas approximately 70% identify as moderate or conservative. Meanwhile, if you specifically examine the left-leaning wing of the Democratic Party, as Gallup did here, black liberals only make up approximately 17% of that grouping.

As you can see, the political views of the various groupings have been noticeably changing over the last 20 years. Or, to put it another way, these shifts aren't predicated upon which singular figure sits in the Oval Office.
    And yet Rep. Jones hasn't left the Democratic Party. The man is free to vote for whom he pleases but, if given the opportunity to ask him a question, I'd actually ask him the same one I asked you a couple of weeks ago with respect to the employment figures and how he feels it would affect the black community.
    Not that this is something brand new, Trump has lots of black supporters: TheRightMelissa
    Of course Trump will have black supporters, who would claim otherwise? You do your argument no favour, however, when you link to social media "influencers" who rabidly support both him and the usual right-wing talking points. For instance, evidently Matt Drudge isn't reliable enough anymore so better go to ProTrumpNews.com for your daily update and George Soros was a Nazi collaborator, where have I heard that before?

Which brings us full circle and we're back to people using false suggestions that someone is a racist as a way to discredit them. It's being going on for so long now but sadly it's showing no signs of abating. Was is changing is that it is being called out more now than it ever has before. A good example of that is when Candace Owens was accused of dismissing the threat of white supremacy and her response was gold: video
    The same Candace Owens who, when invited to testify by Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee, either through ignorance or malice, said this...
    "We hear over and over again about black conservatives, who have the audacity to think for themselves and become educated about our history and the myth of things, like the southern switch and the southern strategy, which never happened."

In fact, I asked you about this very point back in October but unfortunately didn't get an answer.

But I digress. The same Candance Owens who, while appearing on Laura Ingraham's show criticised Obama saying, "I do not remember, when I was growing up, having all of these race issues" despite the fact her family, quite rightly, sued the local education board over racist bullying she suffered which in high school.

Of course, it's easy to point out the idiotic things Owens has said but what I find far more interesting is how the woman actually thinks. Back in 2018 she went on the Joe Rogan podcast and he pushed her on the topic of Climate Change. The following 20min exchange is absolutely fascinating so I'd urge you to grab a tea, coffee, beer or other beverage of choice and take a look inside the mind of this lying, amoral, partisan grifter...

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    I wonder what the Green Party think of one of their number supporting someone so anti-environment.

So a TD criticises a Democrat and this makes him a Trump supporter?

Number 1, he isn't American and can't vote there.

And number 2, no wonder so many don't open their mouth about US politics when you get this rubbish back.. you're supposed to be anti Trump in everything you say or else you're a Trump supporter (whatever that is).

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

gizmo wrote: »
    And yet only 17% of black Americans approve of the job Trump is doing as of March and more than 75% of them have a generally unfavourable view of him, according to recent polls from Gallup and The Economist/YouGov.

What's also fascinating is that the black voting demographics don't even align with your often myopic view of left/liberal vs. right/conservative. Take a look at this Pew Research Center report, for instance - only 28% of black Democrats consider themselves liberal whereas approximately 70% identify as moderate or conservative. Meanwhile, if you specifically examine the left-leaning wing of the Democratic Party, as Gallup did here, black liberals only make up approximately 17% of that grouping.

As you can see, the political views of the various groupings have been noticeably changing over the last 20 years. Or, to put it another way, these shifts aren't predicated upon which singular figure sits in the Oval Office.

And yet Rep. Jones hasn't left the Democratic Party. The man is free to vote for whom he pleases but, if given the opportunity to ask him a question, I'd actually ask him the same one I asked you a couple of weeks ago with respect to the employment figures and how he feels it would affect the black community.

Of course Trump will have black supporters, who would claim otherwise? You do your argument no favour, however, when you link to social media "influencers" who rabidly support both him and the usual right-wing talking points. For instance, evidently Matt Drudge isn't reliable enough anymore so better go to ProTrumpNews.com for your daily update and George Soros was a Nazi collaborator, where have I heard that before?

The same Candace Owens who, when invited to testify by Republicans on the House Judiciary Committee, either through ignorance or malice, said this...

In fact, I asked you about this very point back in October but unfortunately didn't get an answer.

But I digress. The same Candance Owens who, while appearing on Laura Ingraham's show criticised Obama saying, "I do not remember, when I was growing up, having all of these race issues" despite the fact her family, quite rightly, sued the local education board over racist bullying she suffered which in high school.

Of course, it's easy to point out the idiotic things Owens has said but what I find far more interesting is how the woman actually thinks. Back in 2018 she went on the Joe Rogan podcast and he pushed her on the topic of Climate Change. The following 20min exchange is absolutely fascinating so I'd urge you to grab a tea, coffee, beer or other beverage of choice and take a look inside the mind of this lying, amoral, partisan grifter...

At 5:28 of the Candace Owens clip she says to Rogan: "Does the climate change? Yes the climate changes, it was different weather yesterday than it was today" looool..These are the kind of people Trump supporters see as intellectuals. It a very sad state of affairs but America has been slowly going down this road for many years. Trump has really managed to accelerate it though.

And number 2, no wonder so many don't open their mouth about US politics when you get this rubbish back.. you're supposed to be anti Trump in everything you say or else you're a Trump supporter (whatever that is).

Well the TD in question while calling a democratic campaign video racist he didn't support trump either.

So is Donald trump above criticism then ? He's president of the United States which is a big deal which I'm sure you know. And no I don't believe that because you're not explicitly anti something you are by default pro something. That's another side effect of the world we live in where everything is one or the other. Context is like the dodo it seems.

But apparently it's those against Trump who are "nuts", "psychotic" or "lunatics". Or something.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/trumps-hardcore-fans-crave-chaos-and-think-society-should-be-burned-to-the-ground-political-scientists/
    The study’s authors — political scientists Michael Bang Petersen and Mathias Osmundsen of Aarhus University in Denmark, and Kevin Arceneaux of Temple University — found that Trump supporters were far more likely than other voters to be sympathetic toward statements such as “I fantasize about a natural disaster wiping out most of humanity such that a small group of people can start all over” and “I think society should be burned to the ground.”

These views are a minority among voters, the authors claim, but they nonetheless have “incredible amounts of support” among the general population. In fact, the study found that 24 percent of all 6,000-plus people surveyed said they believed society “should be burned to the ground.”

If Trump supporters are around 40% of the electorate, and are far more likely than non-Trump voters to believe in such insanity - and 24% of all voters believe in these objectively insane things - then we can have a fair guess that at least half of Trump's support believes this stuff.

That is genuinely scary.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

But apparently it's those against Trump who are "nuts", "psychotic" or "lunatics". Or something.

https://www.rawstory.com/2019/09/trumps-hardcore-fans-crave-chaos-and-think-society-should-be-burned-to-the-ground-political-scientists/

If Trump supporters are around 40% of the electorate, and are far more likely than non-Trump voters to believe in such insanity - and 24% of all voters believe in these objectively insane things - then we can have a fair guess that at least half of Trump's support believes this stuff.

That is genuinely scary.

No, most Trump opponents are not psychotic or lunatic.

A certain amount share the same mentality and difficulties as their counterparts in the Trump camp.

Politics is the vehicle, the outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I don't disagree with the outcomes you've described, but I think you're again assigning too much agency to Trump and forgetting that he is probably dumber than anyone you've ever met.

He's a fascism savant. His natural state of being is to act like a dictator. That doesn't mean he has much in the way of a philosophy though.

When he obstructs justice, it's not part of a scheme to undermine the checks and balances of the federal government. It's because he has never in his life had to answer for anything. Oversight is alien to him. He dismisses it as a silly notion and finds it offensive that someone would even suggest it.

In his dealings with Putin, in how he's approached COVID, in how he's approached attempting to steal stimulus funds, and many other situations, he has shown no capacity for subterfuge. He openly admits to being corrupt. He didn't have to come out and say he would ignore oversight. If he had any capacity to move tactically, he could've just done it and then pretended he didn't, or claimed there was oversight, or whatever.

Boris Johnson and his minion Cummings made a total ****ing balls out of the initial response in the UK, but they've taken straightforward messaging steps that have drawn far less ire since they stopped pissing about. We'll have to see how it shakes out, and it may be that you can't brazen out 10s or 100s of thousands of dead, but Johnson is in a better place to do so, where he'll be able to credibly argue they did a good job (by just ignoring the bit where they made everything worse for a few weeks).

Trump, on the other hand, is continuing to make unforced errors day after day.

We know his cultists don't care about what he does. But they aren't enough on their own. Johnson didn't win in a landslide by being alienating and polarising. He did the opposite (sortof - he still alienated a lot of people, but not everyone other than core Tory supporters).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

No need to get so triggered!

1) Support doesn't have to mean voting.

2) Do people really refrain when it comes to voicing their approval of Trump?
    Rubbish is in the eye of the beholder, I suggest you read back over your own posts for context.

Trump is very much the enemy of Green Parties everywhere, I'd be surprised if any of them were in favour of defending him. He's not known for defending his enemies.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

A power grab? What's your definition of a power grab.

America is a federal state after all.

Do I have to spell it out for you?

Firing of any people who criticize him.

Surrounding himself with fawning sycophants.

Removal of Inspector Generals.

Exposure of whistleblowers.

Appointment of judges from whom he expects favorable results.

Criticism of the free press.

Affiliation and admiration of out and out tyrants. It goes further in fact. There is envy.

So, you can dismiss these as ridiculous but the writing is on the wall and it is absolute nonsense to ignore it.

Incitement to armed protesters by saying their second amendment rights are under attack too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

No, most Trump opponents are not psychotic or lunatic.

A certain amount share the same mentality and difficulties as their counterparts in the Trump camp.

Politics is the vehicle, the outlet.

The US is very, very different to almost any European country.

A third of their country are basically like the extremist Presbyterian fanatics in Northern Ireland, if not worse.

It's not an accident that there's a load of massive protests against the lockdown in the US, while people are taking it seriously in Europe.

For a large proportion of Americans, their state of being from an economic, cultural, religious, intellectual and educational point of view, is more like something you'd find in a third world country.

The Republican party, and Trump, are products of that. In all practical senses, yes, Trump's supporters are largely lunatics by any metric of the word. They believe a lot of insane things and display cultish support towards Trump, the Republican party, their religion, their culture and their country.

That, of course, doesn't mean that everyone who voted for him falls into that category. There's plenty of people - probably a third, who have absolutely no engagement in politics beyond voting. They might have some cultural attachment, from their parents' party, or their friends, or community. They might choose on some superficial characteristics. They don't engage with the actual details though. Those people don't really believe in Trump.

However, I think it is fair to say that Trump's unsuitability for the office (or any office), has become more and more difficult to avoid. We'll have to wait until probably some time in December before the data is collated and analysed, but I don't think Trump will have many voters outside of that core base of engaged Republican, ethno-nationalist and Christian fanatics.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement