Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He keeps talking about how he is the most intelligent person in the room. How nothing could have gotten done without him. Or how it was solely up to up to make decisions and how he is far more knowledgeable than his own experts. That's not how government decisions are made. It's never up to just one person and it's a complete disservice to his team that helped make decisions and did the research.

He is the prick in the office that takes credit for everyone else's hard work yet contributes nothing and turned up to 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Igotadose wrote: »
    Better they stand as one, turn their backs and walk out at the start of Q&A.

Might be hard to persuade the right-wing outlets to come along.

I'd argue against that, better to keep up with the pertinent questions until he fails to worm his way out of answering the question and gets abusive at a personal level with the reporter, showing up his real character traits again. Eventually he'll realise his line of lying has run into the wall of truth, he cant win and won't bother being at the briefings, leaving it to others who can/will answer the questions without lying or wont try B/S****ing the reporters and the live audience. The worst he can do is remove the White House pass from the reporter [ala CNN's Jim Acosta] in a hissy-fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He keeps talking about how he is the most intelligent person in the room. How nothing could have gotten done without him. Or how it was solely up to up to make decisions and how he is far more knowledgeable than his own experts. That's not how government decisions are made. It's never up to just one person and it's a complete disservice to his team that helped make decisions and did the research.

He is the prick in the office that takes credit for everyone else's hard work yet contributes nothing and turned up to 11.

The latest in U.S conversion schemes, this one to tune yourself into seeing the truth and the light.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,375 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Agree. Best way is to keep pushing him and putting pressure on him until he makes a mistake and says something truthful.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Interesting opinion piece about the press conferences and journalism at the moment in the Trump era

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/19/opinion/trump-coronavirus-briefings.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

They should agree among themselves to play Trump Bingo. Have a card printed and handed out with things like the below.

"Speaks about his Ratings"

"Points out someone's low ratings"

"Uses the word RUDE"

"Insults a Journalist"

"Uses a Childish Nickname about a political opponent"

"Doesn't answer the actual question"

Then during one of his ramblings, one of the reporters shouts "Bingo!", gets up and leaves. When asked about it, they say they won Trump Bingo, hands over the card with all the boxes ticked and says their "prize" is a donation to relief efforts.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Agree. Best way is to keep pushing him and putting pressure on him until he makes a mistake and says something truthful.

Exactly , they need to do a collective "Paxman" on him.

Ask a question and following the inevitable rambling non-answer , the next Journo up says "You never answered my colleagues question about X , can you answer it now?" - rinse and repeat through the entire room.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Exactly , they need to do a collective "Paxman" on him.

Ask a question and following the inevitable rambling non-answer , the next Journo up says "You never answered my colleagues question about X , can you answer it now?" - rinse and repeat through the entire room.

At which point, the journalists become the story, and OAN, Fox and its Acolytes will immediately double down on the Deep State or liberal media histrionics. I'd love to see this happen too, but there's no version out there that wouldn't just play into the big amorphous blob of Trump supporters - or even just Trump well-wishers - and their confirmation biases. America would become further divided. Not that that seems possible at this stage mind you ...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Midlife wrote: »
    My problem with all of this is that basically it comes down to

'I really like guns'

But no one admits that.

'I really like guns and I don't put the school shooting etc above the fact that I really like guns'

It doesn't sound good so we get the old line about the need for a well-regulated militia.

But really you just like owning guns.

Edited to include: just in case the argument is about the importance of the constitution, I'd ask about things such as guantanamo, strikesnnotbaporovednby Congress etc.

There are grey areas here but I'm sure that many of those who hole up the importance of the constitution as a document as a defence of their right to bear arms equally don't give a **** what rights it provides to others. Again just a badly masked 'we really like guns'

If you wish to ignore the practical applications of firearms, then yes, your argument holds sway.

How about "I really like guns because that way it gives people who are not in the prime of their youth a viable defense option?" Doesn't have to be against people either, you'll easily find reports of people shooting dangerous wild animals in the US or Canada. Or does Ireland or France have mountain lions or feral hogs which routinely injure people? I'm 45 next month, my ability to take on a chap in his 20s or 30s is going to start rapidly going downhill.

It's not a position which is morally repugnant to Europeans, it just doesn't happen as often because Europeans often aren't permitted to use their firearms in such a manner in the first place. but it certainly happens.

[Edit. Regardless, we have this argument often enough, I'm sure we'll revisit it after the next American mass shooting (I note this week's Canadian one receives little attention). The question was asked what happened in Virginia, it was answered. If you guys don't like the American perspective on firearms, that's well and good, but that's the lay of the land here, so discussion must reflect it]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252204786059018240?s=20

Someone has to take his phone away from him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Doesn't have to be against people either, you'll easily find reports of people shooting dangerous wild animals in the US or Canada.
    Thats nothing short of laughable to be honest. Canada has higher background checks, federal regulations, tighter laws, more controls and higher training/licencing than the US, and as mentioned has them on a federal level.

You cannot own a gun without a licence, which requires extensive background checks and training modules. In many states, you need no licence at all, and many states have to NWS of loopholes for background checks ("private sales"). There is no American federal requirement either.

In Canada, you cannot leave your home with even a handgun if you do not have a specific licence which is almost exclusively reserved for law enforcement as it needs to relate to your job. One exception given is going to/from a shooting range, but if you get caught out flaunting this rule... trust me you're up the sh*tter. On top of that, when in transit your gun is not allowed to be loaded and typically needs to be locked if unattended.

In many US, you don't need any licence whatsoever to carry - sometimes open carry, sometimes concealed, sometimes both. My other half (insert "Canadian girlfriend joke" here) has an aunt and uncle in Louisiana who each carry around a pistol. With another in the back of the car. And another in the glove compartment ready to pop open. And often times a semi assault rifle or two as well, just because. They do not need any form of licencing for any of this, and none of them have any requirement to be registered.

All guns in Canada must be registered with the exception of shotguns or rifles, though after yesterday's incident I expect that may be getting changed back (Harper's Tories lifted it in 2012, since which gun crimes have been on the rise).

Canada has a number of rules as to how your gun must be kept, locked, difficult to access, and unloaded. The US does not.

End result: Canada typically sees about 5 gun deaths per million per year, and yesterday has utterly shook the nation. The US by contrast has approximately 100 gun deaths per million per year - 20 times the rate - and barely bats an eyelid unless a mass shooting is something truly spectacular anymore (Las Vegas, Stoneman Douglas, Sandy Hook).

This is the difference in responsible ownership and more importantly, responsible governance (the lack which of in the US is exactly what allows so much irresponsible ownership). They're not f***ing toys, and you do not need a military arsenal to scare away a bear or wolf or big cat, so don't try to hide behind that either.

And you definitely don't need it to try and look like a 'big tough guy' or intimidate members of the public while participating in the latest moronic, hyper astroturfed protests since the Tea Party ones. Which for so many of them, is all this is really about: compensating.

Source: https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2014/10/24/7047547/canada-gun-law-us-comparison

Secondary source: I have worked with OPP and RCMP. They all (and from those I worked with, I do mean all) think your gun laws and culture are absolutely nuts, incredibly irresponsible, and in the waken of several recent incidents, absolutely appalling.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Bloody Nora, was I was going report that post for memes, but ... like. It's an official tweet from the US president. I had to stop and think if that technically went against the charter because IIRC his tweets are official record (or were: I think that might have been stopped after the volume became laughable).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

How many grizzly bears and mountain lions wander around New York or Los Angeles?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1252204786059018240?s=20

Someone has to take his phone away from him.

40,000 Americans dead and this is how he starts his day. Says a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

He's batsh!t crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    40,000 Americans dead and this is how he starts his day. Says a lot.

He joked about dating models in the same sentence that he spoke about 100-200K American's dying, if he wins in November, it will say a lot about the country America is.

Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice............

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

How many grizzly bears and mountain lions wander around New York or Los Angeles?

What's that got to do with anything prof ? Please tell me that's not a quote from trump.

If you wish to ignore the practical applications of firearms, then yes, your argument holds sway.

How about "I really like guns because that way it gives people who are not in the prime of their youth a viable defense option?" Doesn't have to be against people either, you'll easily find reports of people shooting dangerous wild animals in the US or Canada. Or does Ireland or France have mountain lions or feral hogs which routinely injure people? I'm 45 next month, my ability to take on a chap in his 20s or 30s is going to start rapidly going downhill.

It's not a position which is morally repugnant to Europeans, it just doesn't happen as often because Europeans often aren't permitted to use their firearms in such a manner in the first place. but it certainly happens.

[Edit. Regardless, we have this argument often enough, I'm sure we'll revisit it after the next American mass shooting (I note this week's Canadian one receives little attention). The question was asked what happened in Virginia, it was answered. If you guys don't like the American perspective on firearms, that's well and good, but that's the lay of the land here, so discussion must reflect it]

I've never been in a position in my entire life where I've had to use a gun and the vast majority of people I know haven't been either. However put yourself in a nation where anybody can buy a gun and it becomes an arms race. Take guns away and it becomes easier for the police to convict criminals for... owning a gun.

Also if you do need a gun for practical purposes, even in ireland farmers or other people (you can even own a gun for sport) can apply for a gun license which is strictly controlled by the government and Gardai and not the free for all it is in the state.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    What's that got to do with anything prof ? Please tell me that's not a quote from trump.

Think it was a sarcastic comment about Manic Morans claim.

Funny enough, non polar bears are not too dangerous unless startled or starving, many wolves too (just DO NOT RUN!).

Big cats can be depending, but in Canada of all things it's the moose you need to look out for. Grumpy feckers and big enough you'd have to see them in person to truly believe it, if you drive into them at night on the road, not too rare since they have awful eyesight, your car is likely to get completely crumpled with you inside of it.

Though thankfully they are kind of lazy, unless it's running season. If you come into a moose's crosshairs in running season, well good luck to you. I lived there for almost a decade and am verrry grateful to have never seen one at that time! Also, only by word of mouth, but if you do have a gun unless you're an absolute crack shot to hit certain points in a split second, your bullets or shot won't stop it before it reaches you. Again though, bad eyesight so its going to be quite close to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,551 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1252311442298200065

All on the Donalds watch, can't wait for the presser later on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Gintonious wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1252311442298200065

All on the Donalds watch, can't wait for the presser later on.

I wonder who's fault this will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

America will be open by this time tomorrow Co Vid or no Co Vid:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

America will be open by this time tomorrow Co Vid or no Co Vid:D

He will probably announce a huge stimulus package for the oil barons so they don't go broke :pac:

Well they've started blaming this guy for the virus, who had this to say today:

https://mobile.twitter.com/GMA/status/1252220166852743169

And the response over in MAGA land goes a little like this:

https://mobile.twitter.com/DanKoosh/status/1252322070878445573

https://mobile.twitter.com/WashingtonsSpe1/status/1252311676453560321

https://mobile.twitter.com/TalkRightNetwo1/status/1252313253230923776

https://mobile.twitter.com/va_shiva/status/1252312219653718016

https://mobile.twitter.com/Cebern75/status/1252325483972263937

This is the bubble that these people choose to live within, and it's nothing short of disturbing. It certainly helps explain why some people are how they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

See, the people who think Trump is bat**** crazy....well they are probably right tbh but in my mind he is actually just laser focused on his re-election. Everything he does is with that in mind. He doesn't care, he just doesn't care or have any consideration for anything else. We know this, everything is a zero sum game viewed through the prism of "Is this good for Donald, or is this not good for Donald" in terms of his re-election.

That's all there is with him. He has had the easiest ride possible as President, this pesky pandemic is threatening to derail his second term chances, that is the only reason it is even on his radar.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Itssoeasy wrote: »

No, though it could easily be.

Four posts above mine, Manic said this:

So I posted this:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

See, the people who think Trump is bat**** crazy....well they are probably right tbh but in my mind he is actually just laser focused on his re-election. Everything he does is with that in mind. He doesn't care, he just doesn't care or have any consideration for anything else. We know this, everything is a zero sum game viewed through the prism of "Is this good for Donald, or is this not good for Donald" in terms of his re-election.

That's all there is with him. He has had the easiest ride possible as President, this pesky pandemic is threatening to derail his second term chances, that is the only reason it is even on his radar.

While I wish that Trump is eradicated in November, all these deaths are of course not worth that :(

This pandemic is just terrible.

If it gets rid of Trump that is probably literally the only and absolutely TINY silver lining out of all this awfulness

:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 54,296 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

My heart goes out to Fauci.

It must be like hitting your head off you desk dealing Trump and his administration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

He joked about dating models in the same sentence that he spoke about 100-200K American's dying, if he wins in November, it will say a lot about the country America is.

Fool me once, shame on you, Fool me twice............

You'd have to question your belief system if you voluntarily went to a voting booth and cast your ballot for someone like Trump. I really find it hard to understand how any sane person could do that, regardless of his election opponent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Just to take your feral hog one. For pest control over here, a farmer still needs a licence for a shotgun or a rifle.

Accessibility to firearms in the US is absolutely ridiculous, and just plain stupid. I say that as a firearms enthusiast and a firearms owner in here in Ireland. I love guns. I still think that not every eejit should be able to pop down to a shop and buy one without a stringent background check (that can't be circumvented with private sale loopholes) and some display of level of competency with said firearm.

Edit: I'll bow out of the firearms aspect of the discussion here, because it's for another thread. Sorry for briefly derailing.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement