Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Not quite tanking yet but his "ratings" are on a downard trajectory sinc the start of this month https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

MadYaker wrote: »
    Not quite tanking yet but his "ratings" are on a downard trajectory sinc the start of this month https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/trump-approval-ratings/

As I already mentioned - They have simply returned to where they have been for his entire Presidency as once people recognised that he wasn't behaving any differently they reverted to their previous position about him.

It will be interesting to watch how his approval goes in those States that are opening up early and following his lead.

He is betting the residents lives on it turning out ok to boost his re-election chances.

If the economy in those states shows an uptick and the reported death rate (and "reported" could be crucial here) stays at a level that the wider GOP voting populace can stomach then he'll be happy

However if the verified figures go badly wrong and the States that stayed closed get things under control , will that 43% stay with him??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Yamiche Alcindor(https://twitter.com/Yamiche) from PBS questioned him last night around holding rallies in Feb and March.
    Seems reasonable? We all make mistakes.

Trump responses below are up now on: https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefings-statements/remarks-president-trump-vice-president-pence-members-coronavirus-task-force-press-briefing-29/
    Q But you did hold — you held rallies in February and March.

THE PRESIDENT: But — no, no. Wait. But you can’t say this. Look, I put on a ban. In other words, I stopped China from coming to the United States. I stopped Europe from coming into the United States, long before the March date that you’re talking about. So people should say I acted very early. That was a very hard thing to do. Doing that was a very hard thing. I didn’t want to do that.

Q But you held rallies in February and March.

THE PRESIDENT: But I did it because I thought — and Dr. Fauci said that, by doing it, President Trump saved tens of thousands of lives. So I did take it very seriously.

Q You held rallies in February and in March. And there are some Americans saying —

THE PRESIDENT: Oh, I don’t know — I don’t know about rallies. I really don’t know about rallies.

Q You had about five rallies in February.

THE PRESIDENT: I know one thing: I haven’t left the White House in months, except for a brief moment to give a wonderful ship, the Comfort —

Q You held a rally in March.

THE PRESIDENT: I don’t know. Did I hold a rally? I’m sorry I hold a rally. Did I hold a rally? Let me tell you, in January, when I did this, you had virtually no cases and no deaths, and yet I put it on. So how could I not?

Why was Nancy Pelosi — right? — Nancy Pelosi is holding a street fair. She wants a street fair in San Francisco, in Chinatown, to prove — you know what the purpose of it was — to prove that there’s no problem. Many other politicians did the same thing. They wanted to prove —

I think Trump has proven over the last few weeks he is more interested in his Presidential career above everything, sums it up last night:
    But remember this: We’re dealing in politics, we’re dealing with a thing called — November 3rd of this year. Do you know what November 3rd represents, right? You know better than anybody in the room. November 3rd of this year — it’s called the presidential election.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

President Trump is proving sure footed with his base. That same group which the tolerant progressives describe as deplorable, which look with growing distant on the various authorian power graps by the democrats and are willing to protest against the destruction of the ecomony. To them, President Trump is giving a voice and they will back him in droves come November.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

https://lawandcrime.com/covid-19-pandemic/lawyers-barr-needs-to-appoint-a-special-counsel-to-investigate-how-trumps-signature-ended-up-on-pandemic-checks/

How was this not an even bigger scandal? Whats the point in even having laws that stop public funds being used for electioneering by an incumbent if its used for printing a candidates name on an emergency government payment? Its not even a signature, its a meaningless entry in the "memo" section of the cheque, it might as well have said "Vote Trump".

Bidens campaign should be suing all around them over this but not a peep...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Manach wrote: »
    President Trump is proving sure footed with his base. That same group which the tolerant progressives describe as deplorable, which look with growing distant on the various authorian power graps by the democrats and are willing to protest against the destruction of the ecomony. To them, President Trump is giving a voice and they will back him in droves come November.

They've never left him to be fair , the key question is will they alone be enough?

He has done nothing to expand his base and bring more voters to his side.

Winning the same votes he got last time out won't win him re-election.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I think Trump has proven over the last few weeks he is more interested in his Presidential career above everything, sums it up last night:

Anyone who thinks it is only in the last few weeks that Trumps motivation has come to the surface hasn't been paying attention.
    He has consistently behaved exactly as many expected he would when he won the election.

And, let me say right now, that if he wins in November, he will take it up several notches. I expect White House briefings will all but disappear, he will try to push through as many appointments as he can. And I expect he could use executive orders to reverse remaining environmental protection legislation, to further isolate many from accessing healthcare and making the conversation around immigration even more decisive.
    He will further position Ivanka/Jared to aid their resumes which will be used to support one of them in running for President within the next 20 years.

He is an odious individual and the office of the President of the US is forever stained from him having been there. Some would say, it was stained in the past (Bill jokes aside) but the absolute visibility of the shortcomings of this guy haven't been seen in my lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Anyone who thinks it is only in the last few weeks that Trumps motivation has come to the surface hasn't been paying attention.
    He has consistently behaved exactly as many expected he would when he won the election.

And, let me say right now, that if he wins in November, he will take it up several notches. I expect White House briefings will all but disappear, he will try to push through as many appointments as he can. And I expect he could use executive orders to reverse remaining environmental protection legislation, to further isolate many from accessing healthcare and making the conversation around immigration even more decisive.
    He will further position Ivanka/Jared to aid their resumes which will be used to support one of them in running for President within the next 20 years.

He is an odious individual and the office of the President of the US is forever stained from him having been there. Some would say, it was stained in the past (Bill jokes aside) but the absolute visibility of the shortcomings of this guy haven't been seen in my lifetime.

In short it will be the end of US democracy as we know it. The remaining institutions will not survive 4 more years of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Ho hum. GOP-led Senate committee finds that Russia indeed interfered with the 2016 election to help Trump, and the investigation by the intelligence agencies during 2016 wasn't politically influenced.
    "American intelligence officials’ determination that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election to assist Donald J. Trump’s candidacy was fundamentally sound and untainted by politics, according to a key Republican-led Senate review released on Tuesday. The findings undercut longstanding allegations by Mr. Trump and his allies that the officials were biased against him."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/us/politics/russian-interference-senate-intelligence-report.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Manach wrote: »

They will be able to show their trust in Don by queueing to vote for him on Nov 05th if they go along with his advice on re-opening and have survived Covid-19 Round 1. Nothing like risking life and limb to show your loyalty twice around. Those who don't, well, the reason might be that his advice failed them in round 1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,300 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ho hum. GOP-led Senate committee finds that Russia indeed interfered with the 2016 election to help Trump, and the investigation by the intelligence agencies during 2016 wasn't politically influenced.
    "American intelligence officials’ determination that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election to assist Donald J. Trump’s candidacy was fundamentally sound and untainted by politics, according to a key Republican-led Senate review released on Tuesday. The findings undercut longstanding allegations by Mr. Trump and his allies that the officials were biased against him."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/us/politics/russian-interference-senate-intelligence-report.html

Not surprising but I genuinely don't think this sort of thing will make any difference. Burr and everyone else on the committee will be decried as "Never Trumpers" and it won't make even a bit of difference to his base. The intelligence community has been so badly undermined by Trump's lies that reports like this will only be seen as more "deep state" activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Igotadose wrote: »

This article from Politico gives a bit more detail without a firewall:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/21/senate-intel-report-confirms-russia-aimed-to-help-trump-in-2016-198171

Other than the top-line findings about Russian interference, the most interesting sub-point for me is that the Committee approved the report unanimously. That's going to make it very hard for Barr to continue his gaslighting as well as any attempts by Hannity, Ingraham et al to portray this as coming from a group of RINOs or DeepStaters.

We 'll await the considered and no doubt measured observations of the Great Leader in due course.....

(Cue Twitter Machine Extreme Cooling System)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    This article from Politico gives a bit more detail without a firewall:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/21/senate-intel-report-confirms-russia-aimed-to-help-trump-in-2016-198171

Other than the top-line findings about Russian interference, the most interesting sub-point for me is that the Committee approved the report unanimously. That's going to make it very hard for Barr to continue his gaslighting as well as any attempts by Hannity, Ingraham et al to portray this as coming from a group of RINOs or DeepStaters.

We 'll await the considered and no doubt measured observations of the Great Leader in due course.....

(Cue Twitter Machine Extreme Cooling System)

Would make nice material to quiz 45 on tomorrow, with emphasis on the bipartisan nature of the findings. The journalist should name each Republican too, make Trump go after "his own", make him squirm with the details

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

aloyisious wrote: »
    He's like a WW1 general, treating the U.S people as cannon fodder in his MAGA re-election battle.

That's not really fair to WW1 Generals. They had this reputation of not caring about their troops, when in fact they usually were making fairly rational decisions. The problem was that technology had overtaken doctrine, and it took a while for either new doctrine to be developed (Germany) or new technology (France, UK).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

NYT reporting a large amount of unreported Coronavirus deaths across 11 counties they canvassed (I assume) didn't get to read it yet but wouldn't exactly be a surprise would it.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

That's not really fair to WW1 Generals. They had this reputation of not caring about their troops, when in fact they usually were making fairly rational decisions. The problem was that technology had overtaken doctrine, and it took a while for either new doctrine to be developed (Germany) or new technology (France, UK).

It seems to me that in this case the doctrine being used by Don is outdated and he is unwilling to take a rational decision on the future of the U.S by accepting that it is necessary for modern technology to be used to stop the advance of the virus and not a herd mentality whereby thousands were and are being sacrificed on the altar of his indifferent ignorance.

The technology is available there in the U.S and Drs Birx and Fauci are pushing hard to get the technology used properly against an Admin team at loggerheads with itself. The states well understand his and your point that they are partial masters of their own future. However Don, each evening, is tying their governors hands behind their backs with his lies, B/S and incompetence pushing up the graph of the numbers of your fellow citizens dying. He hasn't even got the courage to tell his team to STFU and let the doctors do what's needed for your country's health.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Briefing on CNN now. Trump hasn't spoken yet

The House and the Senate have approved a new $484 Billion package to help small businesses, Steve Mnuchin on CNN, and Don worked with them for it. Don has some-one in mind to replace the Inspector General he fired from the Oversight Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Wonder what rubbish Trump is going to spout now??

Just repeating the same old "Look At Me.. Aren't I great!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Fox News reporter getting in plenty of questions this evening,...

Dr Birx: the Admin is preparing for the chance that the virus will come back in the winter, that the U.S public will respond to it as they have to the present. Mr Trump talking about his planned immigration order for signing tomorrow.

I'm getting fed up with Dr Birx and her mealy-mouthed answers at this stage. Her answer re. reopening nail bars and hairdressers in Atlantic, GA was appalling!

She is certainly no Dr Fauci!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

I'm getting fed up with Dr Birx and her mealy-mouthed answers at this stage. Her answer re. reopening nail bars and hairdressers in Atlantic, GA was appalling!

She is certainly no Dr Fauci!

She is becoming a Trump sycophant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

The Donald looks unwell.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

The Donald looks unwell.

A lot of sniffing tonight

A lot of sniffing tonight

Yeah. He looks exhausted. Not his usual energetic and exuberant self.

Yeah. He looks exhausted. Not his usual energetic and exuberant self.

I used to see that when folks are coming down or crashing from having been upped too long.. Such swings in combativeness and apparent euphoria/ dysphoria usually give the medics surrounding a person cause for alarm.. that ****in Aderrall really can mess with folks' heads...

I used to see that when folks are coming down or crashing from having been upped too long.. Such swings in combativeness and apparent euphoria/ dysphoria usually give the medics surrounding a person cause for alarm.. that ****in Aderrall really can mess with folks' heads...

I agree. It's like his ego can't prop him up any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

He done a useless job of setting the narrative around Coronavirus and that used to be something he was good at. Or maybe it was some adviser he has since fired.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement