Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

pixelburp wrote: »
    I've been reluctant to dither into anything resembling hyperbolic declaration - but I'd be inclined to agree with that assessment. The fundamental structure and cohesion of the United States as an economic or social model is being severely undermined at the moment. It's certainly not outrageous to speculate that its stature as anything resembling a world power is eroding as the days go by. Its military clout might keep it at the top of the table, and maybe its cultural ties with the EU, but beyond that?

And before any storms in again declaring us to be preening, America no longer a super power would be a bad thing for the overall equilibrium of geopolitics. China in a position of uncontested primacy is not a particularly enticing prospect. Even if interventionist America has been a plague on parts of this world, a balanced geopolitical structure benefits everyone as a whole.

Not that I believe China is going to want a Super Power status, the sort of nonsense Americans believe (the greatest country in the world rubbish) , but why would China being a Superpower not be enticing?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Not that I believe China is going to want a Super Power status, the sort of nonsense Americans believe (the greatest country in the world rubbish) , but why would China being a Superpower not be enticing?

US may not be perfect but its a far cry from forced re-education camps.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

No monopoly in life, business, social or political, is ultimately a good thing. Whatever America's failings are, they're positively utopian compared with the authoritarianism of the single party state of China. Its government is antithetical to Western democracies, while its many human rights issues are a thread in of itself. America has some semblance of checks and balances, china, not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Didn't Obama get the bailout companies to pay back what they got from TARP?

Possibly the auto industry but I wouldn't swear to it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd argue China not only wants to be one but they do believe they are the greatest country in the world and the racism is rampant there on the topic as well. As for why not wanting them as a super power; for it's many faults USA is still by far the lesser evil of the two. USA does not run a full population audit of loyalty to the party etc. or restricts tens of million of people to travel because "their social score is to low". They do not have a firewall to ensure "the wrong information" comes in or decides to mass censure items that the leader decides they don't like and pretend it never existed (see winnie the pooh for example).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Why would it be a concern to have a Totalitarian Police state as a Global Super Power?

Hmmmmm.. Let me think..

Nody wrote: »
    I'd argue China not only wants to be one but they do believe they are the greatest country in the world and the racism is rampant there on the topic as well. As for why not wanting them as a super power; for it's many faults USA is still by far the lesser evil of the two. USA does not run a full population audit of loyalty to the party etc. or restricts tens of million of people to travel because "their social score is to low". They do not have a firewall to ensure "the wrong information" comes in or decides to mass censure items that the leader decides they don't like and pretend it never existed (see winnie the pooh for example).

American news media is perhaps the worst in the Western world. They spent most of 1995 covering a murder trial.

All I can see is the damage of a powerful US state over the past 70 years and it's full of bombings and the spread of materialism.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Seriously? When was the last time China had genuinely free and open elections?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Anyone else notice Covid19 in force 4 months and there's not one Trump supporter on here saying that he's doing a good job?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1253064793818357765?s=19

Why is trump pushing this drug so hard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That Dr. Bright that was sidelined, coming out swinging, not going quietly.
    Giving it straight at Trump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Georgia business pushes back against state governor

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1253034886258180097

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

This is off to a bad start already!

They are all over the place.

Jesus Trump back to downplaying it

Seriously? When was the last time China had genuinely free and open elections?

So you think free and open elections make a country great?

I'm not even sure America has open elections and up to half don't vote in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

That's my cue to hightail it to CSPAN

That's my cue to hightail it to CSPAN

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,392 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

everlast75 wrote: »

He invested in a company selling it is my bet.

And ventilators...he's the king of ventilators now.

"I THINK THE AMERICAN PUBLIC IS GOING TO HEED THE REQUEST TO RELOOK AT THEIR VACCINE HESITANCY "

C-SPAN transcript is in CAPS. So apologies. I'm not shouting.

---

"You never mention it!"

What a child!

---

Journalists have clearly had enough and are just gonna hammer him.

Why?

To watch it. I don't turn it on until I see people in here complaining about him.

:)

You can see the transcript live.

www.cspan.org

• Advertisement

You know the way he talks every night about being hard done by, i.e. accurately quoted and reported on, does he actually believe it? I'm starting to think he believes he is right and everyone else is wrong and I think that is more depressing than him just lying to play the game.

Is there a bit of a Dunning–Kruger effect to it all.

"Tremendous testing capacities that the governors didn't know they had"

How the hell does this go on?

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    You know the way he talks every night about being hard done by, i.e. accurately quoted and reported on, does he actually believe it? I'm starting to think he believes he is right and everyone else is wrong and I think that is more depressing than him just lying to play the game.

Of course he does. He's a delusional narcissist.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

fullstop wrote: »

That's already been confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

fullstop wrote: »

Is this hydroxychloroquine?
    Seemingly he had some financial interest in the product plus he saw being it pushed on Fox news a lot...I wish i was making that up.

Of course he does. He's a delusional narcissist.

It's fascinating to watch. Him, the administration around him nodding, his millions of supporters nodding across the country. A room full of annoyed journalists who cannot even question him in a challenging way because he so far removed from that. The quote from the hangover, "You Are Literally Too Stupid To Insult" comes to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

47,000 dead but great air shows in store!

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Toeuptony

gmisk wrote: »
    Is this hydroxychloroquine?
    Seemingly he had some financial interest in the product plus he saw being it pushed on Fox news a lot...I wish i was making that up.

I heard some people suggest that he might have a financial interest in it, but I thought they were joking and didn't realise it had been confirmed.

He truly is a snake oil salesman. "What have you got to lose?"

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    It's fascinating to watch. Him, the administration around him nodding, his millions of supporters nodding across the country. A room full of annoyed journalists who cannot even question him in a challenging way because he so far removed from that. The quote from the hangover, "You Are Literally Too Stupid To Insult" comes to mind.

They've started to get more forceful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Toeuptony wrote: »
    I heard some people suggest that he might have a financial interest in it, but I thought they were joking and didn't realise it had been confirmed.

He truly is a snake oil salesman. "What have you got to lose?"
    Madness...how can anyone vote for this loon?!?
    John Oliver programme this week covered it
    https://youtu.be/dRFbwjwQ4VE

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement