Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Toeuptony wrote: »
    I heard some people suggest that he might have a financial interest in it, but I thought they were joking and didn't realise it had been confirmed.

He truly is a snake oil salesman. "What have you got to lose?"

Based on what? I'm open to being corrected I just haven't seen any evidence this is the case.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-profit-hydroxychloroquine/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

They've started to get more forceful.

True they have to be fair. And I look forward to the Q and A later :)

But once it gets tricky for him and he is quoted something ridiculous he has said he just replies with basically:
    Why would a Wookiee, an 8-foot-tall Wookiee, want to live on Endor, with a bunch of 2-foot-tall Ewoks? That does not make sense! But more important, you have to ask yourself: What does this have to do with this case? Nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So you think free and open elections make a country great?

I'm not even sure America has open elections and up to half don't vote in them.

wasn't one of the states recently declared undemocratic by some watchdog in terms of the change made to how it now runs its elections?

peddlelies wrote: »
    Based on what? I'm open to being corrected I just haven't seen any evidence this is the case.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-profit-hydroxychloroquine/

Yikes, I presumed that wasn't true. So he does profit from it.
    What's True?
    U.S. President Donald Trump earns some income from three family trusts that are administered independently by J.P. Morgan, an investment bank and wealth-management firm. These trusts are in part invested in mutual funds that themselves are partially invested in companies that produce hydroxychloroquine.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

So you think free and open elections make a country great?

They generally go some of the way to making a country somewhere you'd want to live and I suppose that's a great aspect. But they are not the sole determinant.

As you well know.
    I'm not even sure America has open elections and up to half don't vote in them.

You're absolutely correct in a sense.

The US has TOO much democracy. And the democracy is of such a low quality that it's not worth it.

Imagine I we had to vote for County Council Chief Executives or District court judges?

It's madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

wasn't one of the states recently declared undemocratic by some watchdog in terms of the change made to how it now runs its elections?

I mean I would still hold the US miles above China/Russia but it is a pretty low bar.

I know Georgia had the person overseeing elections running for mayor in 2016. Wisconsin was a mess in terms of voting booths. The fact that that is politicised at all shows that it is just playing at democracy really.

As for the drugs. I am not sure Trump is invested in them. Maybe through some hidden accounting measures. We should check his tax returns to be sure really. I think he just picked something. If it went nowhere he would ignore it. If it came good he would claim utter genius.

I mean it has side effects so his bet may well kill people if anyone actually listens to him. And people do frequently listen to nutters giving medical advice so you can't be sure but that seems incredibly low on Trumps list of worries.

hetuzozaho wrote: »

It's not the one thing to get hung up on. I don't think this is why he's pushing it. Someone is in his ear about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The head of the vaccine development that trump fired/redeployed isn't standing at the plate hoping for a walk, he's swinging for the centre field wall. And you know what ? Good for him.

Well you can ignore the obvious point if you wish, the profit he'd stand to gain isn't even worth talking about. I see the story got it's feet from the New York times, which isn't all that surprising given that it's liberal propaganda at the best of times.

Trump probably got the idea from Elon Musk, who was the first to promote it and did so heavily on twitter.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's not the one thing to get hung up on. I don't think this is why he's pushing it. Someone is in his ear about it.

It's a classic case of the Fox News feedback loop - He heard it there , they went on and on about it so he just jumped on in as he does repeatedly after watching Fox.

There are countless examples of something being said on Fox and Trump tweeting their chyron about it almost verbatim within minutes..

Laura Ingraham visited the White house to tout the drug

Perhaps a more interesting question to ask would be if she stands to gain financially from it?

However since the report came out indicating that it had a 200% higher mortality rate than no drugs at all,Fox have without any shame either just stopped saying anything or in the case of that utter charlatan "Dr" Oz now claiming that "we should wait for the robust testing data to be available before taking this drug"

• Advertisement

"There will be Coronavirus in the Fall" - Fauci.

Finally, Fauci time, some sense is spoken for the few minutes he gets up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,780 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

It's partially because he is also thick and watches Fox news constantly and they have been pushing it, I think they mentioned it before he did.

Well you can ignore the obvious point if you wish, the profit he'd stand to gain isn't even worth talking about. I'm see the story got it's feet from the New York times, which isn't all that surprising given that it's liberal propaganda at the best of times.

What was the story by the New York Times, I don't read it personally.

Never heard of Rick Wright eh?

What was the story by the New York Times, I don't read it personally.

The misleading story is explained in the snopes link I provided. I'm sure the article will pop up if you google for it.
    It is unclear why the Times focused on Sanofi in its story. Trump is similarly invested in the pharmaceutical company Novartis via those same funds. Novartis manufactures hydroxychloroquine through their generics division Sandoz. Further, Trump — again via these same funds — is invested in several other pharmaceutical companies, too, and each of them could conceivably manufacture the drug as well. Indeed, this is one of the central problems with the notion that Trump’s fervor for hydroxychloroquine stems from a financial interest — it’s simply not a profitable drug.

The misleading story is explained in the snopes link I provided. I'm sure the article will pop up if you google for it.

Ok I just thought it was mad he did have money invested in it, like the fact check says. As I totally assumed the talk of it was rubbish.

Fair enough if he has money invested in a "simply not a profitable drug". And the profits are virtually negligible.

Maybe a world wide pandemic might make it more profitable :) if it was the golden ticket.

Ok I just thought it was mad he did have money invested in it, like the fact check says. As I totally assumed the talk of it was rubbish.

Fair enough if he has money invested in a "simply not a profitable drug". And the profits are virtually negligible.

Maybe a world wide pandemic might make it more profitable :) if it was the golden ticket.

As a generic, they would be seriously pushed to do a Daraprim on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,920 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So trump is now saying he disagrees strongly with the governor of Georgia Brian kemp in his strategy to reopen his state this weekend. Hopefully governor Kemp isn't under an impression that trump will save him if Georgia see a massive spike in cases if the reopening happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

They're certainly able to trot out the good news stories here

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So trump is now saying he disagrees strongly with the governor of Georgia Brian kemp in his strategy to reopen his state this weekend. Hopefully governor Kemp isn't under an impression that trump will save him if Georgia see a massive spike in cases if the reopening happens.

He started off saying something different. It's amazing to be able to contradict yourself in a singular sentence. It's some skill.

• Advertisement

Trump speaking about Fauci: We love him.

Narrator: He hates him.

Now he is off on the we had to close the GREATEST EVER economy in history with the most handsome president ever and greatest president and then the invisible enemy came and shut it all down.

He'll have us all hypnotised!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Pointing out a misleading story =/= defending Trump.

And it's the truth, anytime I check this thread and correct something I get swarmed. Do you want to believe everything you read about Trump even if it's not true? Look at the Russia garbage.

Good night.

The Russia garbage?

Its no more than 2-3 pages back that they have proved and agreed there was Russian interference in the election...
    Igotadose wrote: »
    Ho hum. GOP-led Senate committee finds that Russia indeed interfered with the 2016 election to help Trump, and the investigation by the intelligence agencies during 2016 wasn't politically influenced.
    "American intelligence officials’ determination that Russia interfered in the 2016 presidential election to assist Donald J. Trump’s candidacy was fundamentally sound and untainted by politics, according to a key Republican-led Senate review released on Tuesday. The findings undercut longstanding allegations by Mr. Trump and his allies that the officials were biased against him."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/21/us/politics/russian-interference-senate-intelligence-report.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Christy42 wrote: »
    As for the drugs. I am not sure Trump is invested in them. Maybe through some hidden accounting measures.
    Well you can ignore the obvious point if you wish, the profit he'd stand to gain isn't even worth talking about. I see the story got it's feet from the New York times, which isn't all that surprising given that it's liberal propaganda at the best of times.

Trump probably got the idea from Elon Musk, who was the first to promote it and did so heavily on twitter.
    Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's a classic case of the Fox News feedback loop - He heard it there , they went on and on about it so he just jumped on in as he does repeatedly after watching Fox.
    Or maybe it had something to do with the company that makes hydroxychloroquine paying $1mn for "access" to Donald Trump - and then lying about the extent of contact?

July 16, 2018

Novartis had ‘longer and more detailed’ relationship with Trump lawyer Michael Cohen, Senate report finds

Swiss drugmaker Novartis AG’s’ relationship with Michael Cohen, President Donald Trump’s longtime lawyer, was “longer and more detailed” than the company has said, a new Senate committee report has found.

Novartis NOVN, +0.85% has said that, a month after entering an one-year, $1.2 million contract with Cohen’s consulting company, the relationship was essentially over, as the consultants could not “provide the services that Novartis had anticipated.”

But then-Chief Executive Joe Jimenez and Cohen communicated multiple times after that and over the course of 2017, including an email exchange in which Jimenez sent Cohen Novartis’ “ideas to lower drug costs in the U.S.,” which were to be discussed with the Trump administration.

Several of the ideas later appeared in Trump’s drug pricing plan, released earlier this year, the report found. In spite of Trump’s harsh rhetoric about pharmaceutical companies, the plan largely leaves drugmakers unscathed, experts say.

The finding is one of several damning conclusions of the Friday report, “White House Access for Sale,” which was prepared by Democratic senators and based on documents provided by Novartis regarding its communications with Cohen.
    Cohen is behind bars these days, but Rudy Giuliani has taken his place, so...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

I point out a single misleading story in a non condescending manner open to correction and you post something like that.

Two things.

1) You did not "point out a single misleading story". You took a swing at the paper, saying that it had an agenda overall and said that it was "propaganda at the best of times".
    I see the story got it's feet from the New York times, which isn't all that surprising given that it's liberal propaganda at the best of times.

2) Your comment was clearly condescending.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I see that after 3 months, we are a few weeks away from a greater death toll than 10 years of the Vietnam war. And he is spinning this a some kind of victory for his administration. He would happily walk over the 50,000 corpses without a thought to get another 4 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

We'll have to wait till the true numbers become available. It's uncertain yet how much better or worse the US will fare.

At current level they're doing far better than places like Italy, Spain and the UK. Though they had more time to prepare and this wasn't used very well at a national level. Individual states and hospitals did quite a bit but it varys.

However...

Playing it down doesn't help

Promoting non cures and sacking a doctor that disagrees with you

Playing down the resurgence

These are all the things that reflect really badly on Trump's leadership.

A doctor I know in the states told me of his hospitals efforts through Feb and March and how the administration there did a fantastic job preparing.

But he added that the president was an idiot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Trolling posts and responses deleted. Please do not discuss moderation on thread.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I see that after 3 months, we are a few weeks away from a greater death toll than 10 years of the Vietnam war. And he is spinning this a some kind of victory for his administration. He would happily walk over the 50,000 corpses without a thought to get another 4 years.

There is no number that he would consider to high a price to pay for his re-election. It is the ONLY thing that matters to him.

If he shows concern about anything else it is only in the context of how it impacts the election in November.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,618 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    There is no number that he would consider to high a price to pay for his re-election. It is the ONLY thing that matters to him.

If he shows concern about anything else it is only in the context of how it impacts the election in November.

He has already set the number as anything between 100k and 200k. Below 100k and he will expect a parade. Below 200k and it a super job. Basically anything below 2.2m and he deserves credit for any 'saved' life.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement