Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I'll admit I took adderol occasionaly during college exams (it worked and ive no qualms about taking drugs) the way he talks reminds me of the way my brain used to work only I was able to focus on what was relevant.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,384 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

transylman wrote: »
    Tell that to the Kurds. An ethnic group that gave immense support to America for decades and they promptly get dumped by Trump on a whim. What other group is going to look at that and not wonder if they are not better off looking somewhere else like China? Harder to get countries cooperation (security, health, economic) higher prices to pay if you do want it. You are kidding yourself if you think that Trump has not made a major dent in Americas soft power, and by extension its future security.

We weren't particularly supporting their goals anyway, and I strongly suspect that they knew it was merely a temporary confluence of benefit as it would not have been out of historical form. Trump set the precedent of abandoning the Kurds, says MadYaker? Has he forgotten that the US abandoned them in 1974, and again in 1991, but we were working together yet again in 2003? We used to actively support the Taliban, now we've been bombing them for nearly two decades. As Sir Humphrey observed, the UK has fought with the Germans against the French, with the French and Italians against the Germans, and with the French against the Germans and the Italians. Argentina was surprised when the US didn't support them in 82, the UK when the US didn't support them in 56, yet we are all friends now. Decisions are always made on the basis of the here and now. When we started working with the Kurds in Syria, what promises were given? "We will help you win?" "We will stay with you until the end, when you get wiped out?" We sure as heck weren't in it to win it like the Russians were, something I'm sure the Kurds noticed long before Trump ordered the withdrawal. It's not as if we had an alliance with them like we do with NATO, and it's not as if we've not been acting in this sort of form for years either.
    Trump has set a precedent here. Before this America has presidents of a certain calibre. From now on everyone will look at an American president and think yeah this guy is ok but what if we get another Trump in 2/3/4 years? F*ck that, let’s look to China for help instead. The CCP are going nowhere. Confidence of trust has been shattered.

China has been making those inroads for years, especially in Africa, this is not a result of Trump. It's because the Chinese are willing to throw expensive, direct foreign investment, which no US government has been willing to do in decades. Further, to their credit, the Chinese also don't get involved in things unless there is a tangible, direct benefit to them. The Kurds might have gone to China, that doesn't mean that China would have helped them out in Syria. The Americans were willing to give arms and support "for now", that was all that was promised as far as I know, and it could well have been a better deal than they were getting anywhere else. It certainly has been the case over the past five decades starting in the 1970s when Nixon was very clear "We will give you these weapons, but we will not support your long-term goal of an independent state."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,618 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Trumps 2 biggest supporters on here will be on shortly to tell you "what he really meant" and that he has "misspoken" (something he tends to do every night with his ridiculous testing claim) and how he is in fact right! Be prepared for links to various (very dubious) pro Trump sites that will of course have tenuous (to say the least) "evidence" that what he is saying is plausible.

A very entertaining element to this was that the Trump support sites such as Breitbart got out so early with their vociferous angle that he hadn't said what we had watched and heard him say when he then came out and said that he had said it and tried to pass it off as sarcasm.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Indeed. A billionaire

Prove it!

Just read 7 or so pages of his defenders saying "he was just asking" as some sort of defence to what he said.

But trump said he was being sarcastic. That means he wasn't "just asking".

Putting aside his curious nature, it is beyond gross negligence to discuss such thingsbefore the world. Do you see the scientists (who know what the **** they are talking about) say anything like that?

Trump's problem is he half hears something and runs with it.

It's Fox News level. And Trump followers may find this hard to believe, but they aren't a highly regarded news outlet!!!

It's the usual cycle -

1) Trump says something outrageously stupid or controversial.
    2) his followers rush to defend it
    3) Trump throws them under the bus by saying he was joking or in this case, sarcastic.
    4) Rinse and repeat

Defenders need to remember the rest of the works view people and take into account someone's history before judging them to be an idiot. If this was Trump's first time, he might get a pass.

But most of us here remember him being told not to stare into the sun, and doing it, positing that windmills cause cancer, and nuking a ****ing hurricane.

Hand on my heart, I genuinely wonder what colour the sky is in their world.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

At times u would have to wonder how America survives some of there people are just so stupid.

It was a pity he didn’t propose for Kim Jung to take his new potion to cure his ailment whatever it is .

But I do like trump for a laugh in fairness takes the boredom out of politics .

Reports that KJU is dead.

Yet to be confirmed by major news outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭freddie1970

This thread is a continuation of the megathreads for discussing the presidency of Donald Trump and any matters which relate to this.

Please keep discussion civil and constructive and bear the charter in mind before posting.
    I know some of it is funny ..But i actually find the whole thing a bit depressing ..its times like this we all need leaders ..the majority of americans must be gutted watching that eejit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭hopalongcass

At times u would have to wonder how America survives some of there people are just so stupid.

It was a pity he didn’t propose for Kim Jung to take his new potion to cure his ailment whatever it is .

But I do like trump for a laugh in fairness takes the boredom out of politics .

I think we have easily as many stupid people per capita as Americans.

Whats oft forgotten by everyone is how the election of Trump came about,on basically the eve of the election the FBI indicted Hillary otherwise Trump would never have got near the White house.

Common Americans voted with honesty and decency because they couldn't imagine voting in a potential convicted criminal in Hillary,she would have won easily without the FBI intervention as would almost any other candidate.

They aren't as stupid as you would believe they voted as best they could with the options they had available,only then to be berated and called stupid afterwards for voting him in when they were left with basically no option because people are inherently decent and they couldn't fathom voting in Hillary with an indictment hanging over her,so they have been forced into their position of being a Trump supporter because of lazy accusations of being stupid and uninformed.

Bizarrely the democrats are doing the exact same thing with Biden,hes basically the only one who can lose to Trump but this latest Disinfectant gaffe from Trump is gonna linger and really hurt him imo even the most ardent Trump supporter is gonna have a job defending it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Made a lot of people disappointed by not talking for an hour again tonight. They have nothing to complain about tomorrow. Although it's that predictable that they will complain about his lack of talking instead. He can't win
    Damned if he does. Damned if he don't

No one outside his supporters wants to hear or see him anywhere. He got elected by all the free press he got by saying controversial things. Everything he did was covered by the media, the same media now cover him ( he provides clicks) and you complain. Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/apr/24/revealed-leader-group-peddling-bleach-cure-lobbied-trump-coronavirus like everything he hears half sentences and then runs with it as fact. If anyone watches Homeland this season you get to see how Trump actually works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I think we have easily as many stupid people per capita as Americans.

Whats oft forgotten by everyone is how the election of Trump came about,on basically the eve of the election the FBI indicted Hillary otherwise Trump would never have got near the White house.

Common Americans voted with honesty and decency because they couldn't imagine voting in a potential convicted criminal in Hillary,she would have won easily without the FBI intervention as would almost any other candidate.

They aren't as stupid as you would believe they voted as best they could with the options they had available,only then to be berated and called stupid afterwards for voting him in when they were left with basically no option because people are inherently decent and they couldn't fathom voting in Hillary with an indictment hanging over her,so they have been forced into their position of being a Trump supporter because of lazy accusations of being stupid and uninformed.

Bizarrely the democrats are doing the exact same thing with Biden,hes basically the only one who can lose to Trump but this latest Disinfectant gaffe from Trump is gonna linger and really hurt him imo even the most ardent Trump supporter is gonna have a job defending it.

Statistics around education disagree with your premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Biden is the best choice if you're just looking at beating Trump.

Additionally, senate races are often decided based on presidential candidates.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Butt plug not needed:

Seems Trump's question wasn't so dumb after all.

The key word in the article you showed is pre-clinical.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

And Trump did well yesterday. He did the sensible thing and didn't continue with his failing stretegy in these press conferences.

If he can keep this up, he'll stop handing all the momentum to his rivals.

It's pretty simple. Biden doesn't really exist right now. Trump holds all the cards as the incumbent as its all about the current leadership.

It's actually a distinct advantage. Biden will either lose or gain ground based on how Trump handles this crisis. So far he's done pretty terribly. If he can resist the urge to do and say stupid things then he might claw back some votes.

Peter's problem is he insists on viewing both press conferences as done well. The first one by all accounts can't have been as he wouldn't have denyed he was serious the previous day and then pivoted towards saying very little.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Midlife wrote: »
    And Trump did well yesterday. He did the sensible thing and didn't continue with his failing stretegy in these press conferences.

If he can keep this up, he'll stop handing all the momentum to his rivals.

It's pretty simple. Biden doesn't really exist right now. Trump holds all the cards as the incumbent as its all about the current leadership.

It's actually a distinct advantage. Biden will either lose or gain ground based on how Trump handles this crisis. So far he's done pretty terribly. If he can resist the urge to do and say stupid things then he might claw back some votes.

Peter's problem is he insists on viewing both press conferences as done well. The first one by all accounts can't have been as he wouldn't have denyed he was serious the previous day and then pivoted towards saying very little.

If Trump refuses questions from the journalists he comes across as weak though.
    All because he mused about injecting people with disinfectant?

Biden posted this on twitter and just got a million likes.
    “I can’t believe I have to say this, but please don’t drink bleach.“

If Trump refuses questions from the journalists he comes across as weak though

It is clear Trump's ego took a bit of a battering yesterday.

He wasn't convinced by others to ease off. He doesn't listen to that kind of advice, even if Trump had anyone around him that criticized him.

But his ego won't allow him to stay out of the lights for long. He will rewrite that interview in his mind and rest assured, he'll be back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I wonder about the logic behind a defence of Trump's more incoherent and ignorant press conferences. The man is plainly talking rambling rubbish and is obviously completely out of his depth on the pandemic and as a leader of a nation. Yet people will pluck a few words out his rant and reconfigure them to disingenuously suggest that he knows what he's talking about.

Why would you do that? It seems to be to deflect and to gaslight other people so they shut up. What is the motivation? Is it blind loyalty to what Trump stands for? But what exactly does he stand for? Is it hatred of anything 'Left'? But you can't deem those who oppose Trump as 'Left'. Is it fear that white people will no longer have ascendancy? But the only white people that Trump cares about are billionaires.

Why would you ignore the evidence of your own eyes, ears and truth? Why would you see darkness and describe it as light?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I wonder about the logic behind a defence of Trump's more incoherent and ignorant press conferences. The man is plainly talking rambling rubbish and is obviously completely out of his depth on the pandemic and as a leader of a nation. Yet people will pluck a few words out his rant and reconfigure them to disingenuously suggest that he knows what he's talking about.

Why would you do that? It seems to be to deflect and to gaslight other people so they shut up. What is the motivation? Is it blind loyalty to what Trump stands for? But what exactly does he stand for? Is it hatred of anything 'Left'? But you can't deem those who oppose Trump as 'Left'. Is it fear that white people will no longer have ascendancy? But the only white people that Trump cares about are billionaires.

Why would you ignore the evidence of your own eyes, ears and truth? Why would you see darkness and describe it as light?

It's nothing to do with trump just as it's nothing to do with Johnson.

Sole purpose is to be contrary . The outsider gives a sense of place. People react to me excellent, I will do more of this so I get more reaction.

They most likely do it in their daily lives with other things not limited to right wing politics.

It’s most certainly because he’s “owning the libs”.
    He promised everything and they backed him.

In reality, he’s delivering on very little, even more so the last few weeks.
    And he seems to have united the left and made them stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Butt plug not needed:

Seems Trump's question wasn't so dumb after all.

It's very telling what you pay attention to, and answer!
    Versus what you quite clearly deliberately ignore.

Let's take "butt plug not needed", clearly I was being sarcastic ;).
    I was referring to a method of applying the UV light internally that I knew you Trump lovers would run with...:)
    But from a functional standpoint, where light is administered inside the body?

What is the functional difference between an endo-trach tube and a butt plug as a means of application?

Also, you have taken a single sentence, completely out of its actual context.
    A post in its totality that confirmed the efficacy and actual current use of UV sterilisation but that you skipped over to present pre-clinical spin.
    It really just shows how far some will go to defend specious bullshít.
    That the Cedars Sinai option may lead to a therapy, is pointless in the context of what Don said and whom he said it too.

Now could you answer that question I've posed you a few times now please?
    Have you previously posted that you are a respiratory therapist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Yep. As noted, Trump speaks in short, easy to understand soundbites. He also repeats them continuously, and uses the same hyperbolic words all the time. If you tell a lie enough times and with enough vigor, the uneducated and those who want to hear a certain viewpoint can all be swayed without effort.

He'll get elected again. Biden offers nothing that is attractively alternative to Trump's base. He's bland and vanilla. Utterly forgettable. For all his faults, you get a show with Trump and a certain portion of Americans are in love with that.

I don't think he'll get elected again. Hilary did not come across as likable, for that she got forgiven nothing. Biden seems warm and likable, he'll be forgiven for any faults.

Trumps only hope was a strong economy, he is going to lose by a country mile.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Trump is seen by many as anti PC, anti big gov, American interests first, anti globalism, speaks his mind etc

The opposite of most modern politicians and the opposite of the direction that the world is going.

He should have ran in the 90s or 2000s . He wouldn't have said so much stupid stuff nor had the scrutiny from the media but here we are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

I don't think he'll get elected again. Hilary did not come across as likable, for that she got forgiven nothing. Biden seems warm and likable, he'll be forgiven for any faults.

Biden is a stupidest version of a Trump. He forgets what he is say halfway through a sentence. If you like Biden you are basically like the democratic version of Trump with less brain activity.

Biden has an image problem with Latino voters. He was VP under Obama. Obama deported millions of illegals. It is well reported that the election will be won or lost on the Latino vote.

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Biden is a stupidest version of a Trump. He forgets what he is say halfway through a sentence. If you like Biden you are basically like the democratic version of Trump with less brain activity.

”Biden is a stupidest version“

Trump fans, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

He was joking and being sarcastic and it had nothing to do with a letter he received during the week:

Absolutely nothing to do with this letter that's said bleach kills 99% of pathogens in the body and will kill Covid-19.

Nothing at all to do with this.

Nothing.
    I was going to reply saying that Trump doesn’t read letters people send to him, but then in the article it says that the people read that letter out loud and posted it to social media. So that’s where he probably saw it.

##ModNote##

Please don't post memes

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Unemployment in the US has now gone over 19.5%, with 32 million unemployed. Beyond not being the candidate who endorses injecting bleach and armed uprisings only to have to row back and claim it was all a joke, Biden should mainly run on the fact that Trump has destroyed the economy that he helped Obama build. As Trump fans have spent the last few years repeating "its the economy, stupid". And that economy is only going to get worse between now and November.

Biden has an image problem with Latino voters.

Maybe he should run on building a wall and getting Mexico to pay for it.

That'll endear him to the latino community?

• Advertisement

everlast75 wrote: »
    Maybe he should run on building a wall and getting Mexico to pay for it.

That'll endear him to the latino community?

Don't shoot the messenger sunshine

https://nypost.com/2020/04/23/bidens-ties-to-obama-could-hamper-appeal-to-latino-voters/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement