Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Trump is seen by many as anti PC, anti big gov, American interests first, anti globalism, speaks his mind etc

The opposite of most modern politicians and the opposite of the direction that the world is going.

He should have ran in the 90s or 2000s . He wouldn't have said so much stupid stuff nor had the scrutiny from the media but here we are

Anti Globalism - He has businesses in multiple countries and according to himself stock in others

Anti PC - An asshole that appeals to like minded assholes.

Anti big government - Daddy made me rich the rest of you can go fu*k yourselves. The anti big government sh1te in the U.S. is one of the reasons their healthcare etc is a nightmare.

American interests first - Name a president that hasn't done this from pre WW1 up to Iraq using some reasoning (FDR- lending your neighbor a hose for example) but depends on what you call American interests, they are normally financial or ego in the main. Not that this is different from a lot of countries.

As for running in earlier decades, he would have had as much scrutiny by the media given not only his attention seeking back then, but the fact that they report on what the president says, always have. As for not saying as much stupid stuff, unless he's deteriorating mentally which the fanboys claim isn't the case, why would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Did you read the article? Apart from a couple of small positives, it makes for very grim reading if you are a Trump supporter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Did you read the article? Apart from a couple of small positives, it makes for very grim reading if you are a Trump supporter.

I'm talking about the Latino vote for Biden. Did you read it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Biden has an image problem with Latino voters. He was VP under Obama. Obama deported millions of illegals. It is well reported that the election will be won or lost on the Latino vote.

Hilary under preformed compared to Obama/Biden with the latino vote and still won the popular vote.
    Trump now has the handicap of his record, which he didn't have last time.

I think the cognitive dissonance will only go so far, his base will not come out in the numbers they did last time.

Plus after the reality the Anti-Trumpers will be a lot more motivated to vote, last time they thought Hilary was a shoe in.

I'm talking about the Latino vote for Biden. Did you read it

I did. It's actually a good article, very balanced. He'll be fine. It takes the problems that Biden has with Latino voters and shows how he can overcome them. Such as the fact that Bernie's Latino campaign manager has endorsed him as has AOC. It also highlights where Trump will struggle down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Latino voters very consistently vote 65-70% Democrat, barring a surge of younger voters (which demographics show go overwhelmingly Demcorat), November will be no different. Especially with an economy in tatters and thousands of Latino children locked away in concentration camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Biden has an image problem with Latino voters. He was VP under Obama. Obama deported millions of illegals. It is well reported that the election will be won or lost on the Latino vote.

Hahahahahahaha excellent, this is wonderful satire. Right on the nose, well played sir.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Enough of the snide comments please.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

They might mock behind his back. Not one of them would have the guts to do so to his face . He could destroy them using economic or military power. Or both.
    The US is running this show and Donald is the conductor
    A strong America is good for Ireland

The US used to run the show, under Trump they have turned their backs on it. Now the Russians and the Chinese are running the show.

Hahahahahahaha excellent, this is wonderful satire. Right on the nose, well played sir.

Reminds me of the Simpsons:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭fawlty682

I think Biden’s best chance is to hope for Trump to continue with these rambling press conferences every evening, and he might talk himself out of the White House. USA is such a deeply polarized country now. He runs the country like an unhinged cartel boss, firing and vilifying anyone who disagrees, and employing such spindoctors as Kellyanne Conway, ably assisted by Fox News. Apologies to cartel bosses for comparisons to Trump. The land of the free is no longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I think we have easily as many stupid people per capita as Americans.

Whats oft forgotten by everyone is how the election of Trump came about,on basically the eve of the election the FBI indicted Hillary otherwise Trump would never have got near the White house.

Common Americans voted with honesty and decency because they couldn't imagine voting in a potential convicted criminal in Hillary,she would have won easily without the FBI intervention as would almost any other candidate.

They aren't as stupid as you would believe they voted as best they could with the options they had available,only then to be berated and called stupid afterwards for voting him in when they were left with basically no option because people are inherently decent and they couldn't fathom voting in Hillary with an indictment hanging over her,so they have been forced into their position of being a Trump supporter because of lazy accusations of being stupid and uninformed.

Bizarrely the democrats are doing the exact same thing with Biden,hes basically the only one who can lose to Trump but this latest Disinfectant gaffe from Trump is gonna linger and really hurt him imo even the most ardent Trump supporter is gonna have a job defending it.

All that about the voters simply picking the least option sure does sound very logical.

The only problem with it is that his support has stayed pretty steady since then despite all that he has done.

How can that be explained? Elections are not the only time voters get to decide, if polling is showing a massive turn on something (take Nixons poll ratings when they forced him out). No need for a vote, the voters support drained away and the party was left with no choice.

So fine, one can almost see a way that people voted for him through lack of choice, but their continued support would indicate that they knew very well what they were voting for and if not, they are happy enough with it.

Unemployment in the US has now gone over 19.5%, with 32 million unemployed. Beyond not being the candidate who endorses injecting bleach and armed uprisings only to have to row back and claim it was all a joke, Biden should mainly run on the fact that Trump has destroyed the economy that he helped Obama build. As Trump fans have spent the last few years repeating "its the economy, stupid". And that economy is only going to get worse between now and November.
    Actually just checked for reference. In the 2008 recession, unemployment topped out at 10.0% (Oct 2009). In the 1990s recession, it's peak was 24.9% (1933, can't find monthly off hand).

Trump has now double the former, and at the rate this is going and his utter lack of any answers for it, it would appear that Trunponomics are on pace to set yet another record very soon.

Obama got a lot of criticism when the ACA website crashed after he expanded healthcare for Americans, and apparently the welfare websites across the US are doing the same now that Trump as expanded unemployment in a similar manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

A 57 page briefing document forwarded to Republican candidates for the upcoming elections boils down to this.

Don't defend Trump, attack China.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/united-states-canada/article/3081523/dont-defend-trump-attack-china-coronavirus-strategy

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/24/gop-memo-anti-china-coronavirus-207244

• Registered Users Posts: 11,390 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Why do American journalists question everything but Irish ones don't?

I’m sure when Tony Holohan starts telling people that taking disinfectant or shining UV light inside the body can cure Coronavirus, or that we’re doing the best job the world has ever seen ever, he will get asked the sort of questions the man child is getting asked by the media.

Is that what Trump meant about injecting disinfectant and UV light?

Or was this just the best fit that you could find for his ramblings?

The best thing is it took him 24 hours of frantic searching to find something that could be considered even remotely relevant to explain his hero’s verbal diarrhoea...by which time the don has explained he wasn’t being serious :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭briany

fawlty682 wrote: »
    I think Biden’s best chance is to hope for Trump to continue with these rambling press conferences every evening, and he might talk himself out of the White House. USA is such a deeply polarized country now. He runs the country like an unhinged cartel boss, firing and vilifying anyone who disagrees, and employing such spindoctors as Kellyanne Conway, ably assisted by Fox News. Apologies to cartel bosses for comparisons to Trump. The land of the free is no longer.

:pac:

So we're still waiting for Trump to say something so dumb and so controversial that it scuppers his chance of being reelected?

His history of saying stuff which would utterly tank any other U.S. president started in January 2017.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, he could say which would be intellectually bereft enough to lose his core of support as long as it falls in with the bigoted policies and conspiratorial thinking and phony promises that got him into office.

He's not going to lose any other supporters with what he says about Coronavirus because any self-respecting 'floating voter' left his camp a loooong time ago.

A lot of airtime given over to this latest Bullsh1t from trump. Question is, what was it done for? What did he need to draw attention away from?

His debts with Bank of China?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

briany wrote: »
    :pac:

So we're still waiting for Trump to say something so dumb and so controversial that it scuppers his chance of being reelected?

His history of saying stuff which would utterly tank any other U.S. president started in January 2017.

There is nothing, and I mean nothing, he could say which would be intellectually bereft enough to lose his core of support as long as it falls in with the bigoted policies and conspiratorial thinking and phony promises that got him into office.

He's not going to lose any other supporters with what he says about Coronavirus because any self-respecting 'floating voter' left his camp a loooong time ago.
    Would saying to take down the wall and let all the Mexicans in even be twisted to somehow fit as if his position had never actually changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

fullstop wrote: »
    The best thing is it took him 24 hours of frantic searching to find something that could be considered even remotely relevant to explain his hero’s verbal diarrhoea...by which time the don has explained he wasn’t being serious :D

It's a cycle that we've witnessed multiple times. An early version went like this:

News - Trump sh!ts his pants
    Trump - I didn't sh!t my pants

Trump Supporters - He didn't sh!t his pants
    Trump Later - Yeah, I sh!t my pants and it was great
    Trump Supporters - Yeah he **** his pants and it was great

This time, it's the same idea

News - Trump says we should look into injecting light into humans
    Everyone - Wow that's stupid

Trump Supporters - He didn't say that
    Other Trump Supporters - Maybe that's a good idea

Trump - I said that but I was only joking
    Trump Supporters - Bu... Bu... Hillary... Bu... Bu... Biden... Bu... Bu... Plug

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

robinph wrote: »
    Would saying to take down the wall and let all the Mexicans in even be twisted to somehow fit as if his position had never actually changed?

Yes.

His debts with Bank of China?

This.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yes.

How about if he decided to drop party politics and inorder to bring the country together and get through the next 4 years he was to run with Hillary as vice president? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 39,915 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

On top of the coronavirus emergency the US and therefore trump could have an interesting situation on their hands on the Korean Peninsula as while Kim Jong-un is probably not in serious danger, something isn't right with him as he's not been seen in public for a while and he missed an event honouring his grandfather I think it was. It's been reported that the plan would be for his sister to take charge but if Kim isn't in charge will it survive ?

He’s now tweeting about Triple H!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

He’s now tweeting about Triple H!

He actually is.
    **** me.

Can you imagine Obama posting about wrestlers if 50 thousand people had died?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

He actually is.
    **** me.

Linda McMahon is a big contributor to the GOP....

• Registered Users Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

He actually is.
    **** me.

Wrestling is an essential service, have some respect. ;)

everlast75 wrote: »
    Linda McMahon is a big contributor to the GOP....

And the chair of a Trump reelection Super PAC. If the WWE being reopened as an essential service in Florida seemed weird and kind of random, this is the reason why it happened. Also, here is the video that Florida's Governor ran on, and no this is not satire - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z1YP_zZJFXs

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Hilary under preformed compared to Obama/Biden with the latino vote and still won the popular vote.
    Trump now has the handicap of his record, which he didn't have last time.

I think the cognitive dissonance will only go so far, his base will not come out in the numbers they did last time.

Plus after the reality the Anti-Trumpers will be a lot more motivated to vote, last time they thought Hilary was a shoe in.

I agree with your comments 100%.

Trump will try and take Biden apart come the debates but the shock factor is gone. He will be against both Biden and the media.
    This election is bidens to lose

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement