Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

frag420 wrote: »
    But he was being sarcastic...unless those words have been misconstrued also?

Look, you need to stop digging on this one, its embarrassing and frankly makes the rest of us (well me anyway) a little uncomfortable watching you realise that the boss has thrown you under the bus with his sarcasm comment and you just ask for another shovel!

Thats whats confusing me. If Trump said his whole UV light and disinfectant stuff was sarcasm...wouldnt someone then defending it as being serious and a proper line of inquiry and placing greater reverence on his words, after the man himself said he wasnt being serious, be a negative reporting of an event?

So.....is Outlaw Pete "fake news" now?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Tony Holohan is the chief medical officer... not the President... your what/if is not applicable...

Ok then.

I’m sure when Michael D starts telling people that taking disinfectant or shining UV light inside the body can cure Coronavirus, or that we’re doing the best job the world has ever seen ever, he will get asked the sort of questions the man child is getting asked by the media.

That better?

Of course Micky D would have to start doing a daily propaganda rally for this to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Blueshoe wrote: »
    There seems to be a bit of a mob waiting in the background for someone to write something that isn't anti Trump. Once it's posted they jump in one by one to have a go at the poster. Then disappear again.
    There is no discussion otherwise.
    Waiting watching.

I hope you apply that same standard to Pete and Co.?
    I'm happy to discuss any part of my posts and even answer all questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

valoren wrote: »
    Not worth "my time"?

So basically he's being held accountable during necessary daily briefings designed to disseminate public information. A con man to the core, he implicitly understands that his supporters actually listening to valid and pertinent questions being put to him is helping pull the rug from under his honed BS. That old public service remit during a Pandemic ie give daily updates, make them free to view is what these briefings are for.

However as he is embarrassing himself he's so narcissistic that if he can't be there then no one can take the limelight in his absence so the whole thing gets shut down. Not even the straight talking, fact based public servants are allowed to do their job.

The walk away from the nightly PR stunt reads as a cost analysis evaluation showing it's not worth the effort to try B/S the public when the facial display by Dr Birx torpedoed Don mid presentation. Count her as another disillusioned medic who thought "I can bring some reality to his presentation" and realised ]live on air] that he wont listen. Dr Birx might have done the U.S some service by relieving it from Don doing the nightly presentation. One might see the W/H press secretary again doing the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,932 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

With no rallies or briefings how will trump vent ??? Twitter only goes so far....

Tanning bed-side chats with OANN, Fox and Breitbart.

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Ok then.

I’m sure when Michael D starts telling people that taking disinfectant or shining UV light inside the body can cure Coronavirus, or that we’re doing the best job the world has ever seen ever, he will get asked the sort of questions the man child is getting asked by the media.

That better?

Of course Micky D would have to start doing a daily propaganda rally for this to happen.

Mickey D isn't the political and executive head of government tho?
    Nor is he the arbiter of funding for any programmes of government or aid.

A far better analogue would be Leo, Particularly as until a new daíl is formed he is basically gifted executive power in so far as one can be in a parliamentary system.

If Leo was to spout the nonsense Don has, if calls to our poison centre spiked due to people ingesting disinfectant?
    In a normal parliamentary cycle, you can be very sure a motion of no-confidence would lead to his removal as leader of his party, of the Dail and his position as Taoseaich.

For all the US's vaunted checks and balances, they have gifted executive power to a moron and barring declaring him unfit via the 25th, they are stuck with him for the duration.

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Thats whats confusing me. If Trump said his whole UV light and disinfectant stuff was sarcasm...wouldnt someone then defending it as being serious and a proper line of inquiry and placing greater reverence on his words, after the man himself said he wasnt being serious, be a negative reporting of an event?

So.....is Outlaw Pete "fake news" now?

Probably just another victim conned by Don since 2015.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

The Nal wrote: »
    Fúck, are people still doing the "Hillary won" thing?

Someone posted that Trump won in the context of his chances for re-election.

The reply, which was relevant, pointed out that she won the popular vote.

If you want any more Hillary updates, check out Hannity every night.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Trump makes good tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

Is this there still some of daily Briefing to the population?

I know Trump has tried to make the briefings about himself but surely having daily briefings without him would actually be way more beneficial for the country..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

banie01 wrote: »
    Mickey D isn't the political and executive head of government tho?
    Nor is he the arbiter of funding for any programmes of government or aid.

A far better analogue would be Leo, Particularly as until a new daíl is formed he is basically gifted executive power in so far as one can be in a parliamentary system.

If Leo was to spout the nonsense Don has, if calls to our poison centre spiked due to people ingesting disinfectant?
    In a normal parliamentary cycle, you can be very sure a motion of no-confidence would lead to his removal as leader of his party, of the Dail and his position as Taoseaich.

For all the US's vaunted checks and balances, they have gifted executive power to a moron and barring declaring him unfit via the 25th, they are stuck with him for the duration.

You can apply it to whoever you like. It wouldn’t happen with anybody except trump. The post I was replying to said my analogy was pointless because Tony H isn’t the president, but it’s Tony who gives the daily briefings, so in the Covid updates sense he’s probably the closest parallel with trump.

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Trump was Time man of the year in 2016 actually, he was a few times according to his hotel where he had fake covers printed around on the walls, which is not all embarrassing. But one of them actually wrote a book and was a war hero for his country. Hitler would be embarrassed by the comparison.

I should have been clearer, I am sorry.
    I should have said, Hitler didn't have to graciously concede defeat to a teenage girl that time Greta beat him to that particular award...

Funnily enough, nor did Don!
    Graciously concede I mean.

Drumpot wrote: »

I know Trump has tried to make the briefings about himself and but surely having daily briefings without him would actually be way more beneficial for the country..

If one wants anything approaching an apolitical and factual briefing in the US, I think Cuomo in NY is the only game in town unfortunately.

At the very least FEMA and the CDC should be updating and advising nationally but if Don can't have his 2hr shítshow I don't where the national update will be.

I know Trump has tried to make the briefings about himself but surely having daily briefings without him would actually be way more beneficial for the country..

Each state will have their own press conferences which are covered by local media. America is a federal state.

The Trump press conferences were just good tv.

Each state will have their own press conferences which are covered by local media. America is a federal state.

The Trump press conferences were just good tv.

The really turns on your definition of "good tv".

Misinformation to the general masses, narcissistic ramblings and airings of petty grievances doesn't fit that description to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Many have suggested that the main purpose of the briefings, considering how few developments there were in most briefings in terms of new announcements or measures, is that they were a replacement for his rallies, where he can espouse his nonsense, complain about the Dems and media, and get on TV considering it's an election year.

Of course it's tended not to go too well considering he goes off-script and talks nonsense, the media don't just give him endless praise or take everything he says at face value which means he gets angry, he's doing whatever he can to blame everyone else for everything, and he's showing himself up as someone who has no idea what to do.

If they let Pence do a weekly briefing, and Trump does an extra briefing if there's a significant development, he sticks to the script and doesn't take questions, he'd be in a much better position and the public might actually be getting some pertinent information.

everlast75 wrote: »
    The really turns on your definition of "good tv".

Misinformation to the general masses, narcissistic ramblings and airings of petty grievances doesn't fit that description to me.

Why were so many on here watching it then, staying up passed their bed time to watch every second of it?

Why were so many on here watching it then, staying up passed their bed time to watch every second of it?

Watershed time?

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I watched it because of the lockdown and nothing better to do . I found him amusing at the beginning but as the time went on I really got infuiriated with his behavour and the nonsense he was spouting .

I watched it because of the lockdown and nothing better to do . I found him amusing at the beginning but as the time went on I really got infuiriated with his behavour and the nonsense he was spouting .

So he was good tv?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

So he was good tv?

The whole world was watching, with a kind of morbid fascination.

You had dozens of posters on here in anticipation of the event, with links being requested and provided, and live commentary.

It was tv at it's greatest, after sport and the euro-vision song contest, before the enlargement.

The whole world was watching, with a kind of morbid fascination.

You had dozens of posters on here in anticipation of the event, with links being requested and provided, and live commentary.

It was tv at it's greatest, after sport and the euro-vision song contest, before the enlargement.

I presume you mean the whole English speaking world because if you don't speak English, I doubt you'd be watching a press conference in English.

And no, it seemed only the Trump voyeurs were watching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

I presume you mean the whole English speaking world because if you don't speak English, I doubt you'd be watching a press conference in English.

And no, it seemed only the Trump voyeurs were watching.

I was being sarcastic. lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

So he was good tv?

During a global pandemic, I'd class "good tv" coming from the White House briefing room as a president acting with calm and dignity, showing that he understands the suffering of his people and projecting a coherent, calm and reassuring message based on scientific facts

Instead, we got the nonsensical narcissistic ramblings of an idiot over 2 hours every night. Depends on how you get your enjoyment though, I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Nuremberg rallies? Ah here.

Bang on.

A few years after a profound recession, an angry meglomaniac comes along and says 'I can fix everything.. we just need my new brand of nationalism', all while blaming foreigners for everything.

The parallels are unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Trump makes good tv.

Yup, just never on purpose ha

• Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Trump makes good tv.

People slow down in traffic to voyuer at a RTA, in a morbid curiosity, not because its good.

Trump makes rubbernecking TV

In the same way as one might look at a car crash as they drive slowly by...

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    During a global pandemic, I'd class "good tv" coming from the White House briefing room as a president acting with calm and dignity, showing that he understands the suffering of his people and projecting a coherent, calm and reassuring message based on scientific facts

Instead, we got the nonsensical narcissistic ramblings of an idiot over 2 hours every night. Depends on how you get your enjoyment though, I suppose.

Is that directed to me.. I wasn't watching them. But lots here got endless enjoyment from them. They didn't miss a second of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,347 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Is that directed to me.. I wasn't watching them. But lots here got endless enjoyment from them. They didn't miss a second of them.

'lots here'

'some people have mentioned'

'people are saying'

'everyone knows'

Notice the same language pattern?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement