Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Blueshoe wrote: »
    You didn't really answer my questions though. In fact you completely ignored them. Im aware at this stage about your feelings about Donald trump.

Do you think Biden will make a good president? Most powerful position in the world.
    I'm not trying to trick you or anything. I'm just curious.

No. I think both parties are locked in such a vicious power struggle that they have lost sight of what they actually should be doing. Which is to provide effective leadership of the USA. And so, bipartisanship, which should be paramount in a crisis, is non-existent. I think Biden is the lesser of two evils insofar as he's an average politician with some good intentions and Trump is an appalling person.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

No. I think both parties are locked in such a vicious power struggle that they have lost sight of what they actually should be doing. Which is to provide effective leadership of the USA. And so, bipartisanship, which should be paramount in a crisis, is non-existent. I think Biden is the lesser of two evils insofar as he's an average politician with some good intentions and Trump is an appalling person.

Definitely. That's why I laughed when I saw Bidens promises. He hasn't a hope of getting any of them done. Not a chance.
    He should run on something like " Everyone hates the greedy orange guy. Pick me because I'm nicer"

Trump won't win re-election but the debates and rallies will be entertaining. The faces change but everything else stays the same. No different to here really. Just more dramatic

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

FrostyJack wrote: »
    Of course you don't understand, English to Cryillic is difficult even for someone like me who has basic Russian.

You wrote "As bad as Biden is".
    Can you expand on that at all ?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    He's really letting go on Twitter this evening. I really wish someone would show him how to use his instagram account, could be good fun!

Isn't out Melania's 50th birthday today?

I'm sure she's delighted that his focus is all on her...

I'm not 'anyone but Trump'. However, I can't think of a US politician that I would have less respect for. Maybe Nixon...hmmm.....no I'd prefer him to Trump.

The media will of course keep the spotlight on Biden. And I think he'll do badly simply because I don't think he has that statesman quality and he's inheriting a sh1tshow. Would love to see someone like Cuomo. But it will be Biden.

It's a pity LBJ (and Humphrey) didn't release the evidence that they had about Nixon interfering with the Paris peace talks as part of his election.
    One of the many failures of LBJ's presidency imo, and another thing the republican party would like forgotten about one of their own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

You wrote "As bad as Biden is".
    Can you expand on that at all ?

He is right wing I believe is the issue (by European standards). Probably more willing to compromise on your list of health etc.

You entirely ignored the point that incidental progress is possible. Like Obamacare. If more politicians shout for change then more people might listen. In which case we might get more politicians voted in in favour of it. Already we have the likes of Bernie and Warren gaining popularity really wanting to split business and politics. AOC in there as well. If this gets pushed more and more we could see change over time.

Of course this is all based off of changing minds which takes time and has no guarantees but I absolutely believe it is worth a shot instead of accepting everything will be and and making it worse with Trump.

Do I think Biden can achieve any of his list. No. Do I believe he can start to make progress towards them. Yes. And that is the best case scenario.

I love that the best argument for Trump has essentially boiled down to nothing ever changes so it won't make a difference to keep the man in the office.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Please do not use this thread as a tweet repository.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

CNN will continue to hold whomever is POTUS to account. It will appear that they don't go in as much on Biden simply because Biden will have less to get worked up about.

But you can be sure that any perceived imbalance will be more than taking up by Fox and others.

I, hopefully more than expect, that were Biden to be elected things would actually calm down in terms of bipartisanship. Unlike Obama, Biden isn't an African American and he has many R friends in DC so would be less divisive. And unlike Trump, Biden will, I assume based on his career, look to build consensus.

It is hard to get people to work with you when you continually call them losers, liars, do nothings, and use petty nicknames to demean them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

I see he has retweeted an account called "trump and Biden are rapey" that posted a gif of Biden sticking his tongue out. Also this looks like he is almost talking to himself

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1254586604360011776

What is going on? Is there a contingency plan in the white House that they can use to step in and stop this kind of rubbish?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭sid waddell

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I see he has retweeted an account called "trump and Biden are rapey" that posted a gif of Biden sticking his tongue out. Also this looks like he is almost talking to himself

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1254586604360011776

What is going on? Is there a contingency plan in the white House that they can use to step in and stop this kind of rubbish?

The GIF is a deep fake. Whoever operates the Twitter account later changed its name to "Trump and Biden Are Rapey".

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I don't understand what you mean by "As bad as Biden is"

Whilst there are a number of failings you could list for Biden - He's old school corporate Democrat etc.

Aside from all the Personality trait stuff - Trump is just a deeply unpleasant human being with no redeeming qualities, he will be better than Trump for one key reason.

He knows what he doesn't know.

Trump believes he knows better than everybody and as such doesn't like people who are obviously smarter than him around , or at least those that show that knowledge. So his administration is full of incompetent sycophants.

Biden, I believe has more than enough self-awareness to know the limits of his abilities. A trait which is actually vital in a leader.

Biden will surround himself with experienced administrators and legislators and will be happy to allow them to lead in areas that they are the experts in etc.

In Short - Biden will create a functioning administration that will actually get things done rather than the disorganized mean-spirited cluster-f**k that is the Trump admin.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,786 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well lets see if he even makes it to the nomination. This Tara Reade story is gathering momentum.

The Nal wrote: »
    Well lets see if he even makes it to the nomination. This Tara Reade story is gathering momentum.

Wait - I thought the reason why he wouldn't make November was his cognitive decline, and before that, Hunter Biden's issues, and before that, his poor showing in the Primaries?

Meanwhile, Trump's sterling handling of the Covid19 outbreak is earning him praise from across every cross-section of America*

*now that was sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 28,441 ✭✭✭✭looksee

https://edition.cnn.com/videos/media/2020/04/26/life-during-coronavirus-brian-stelter-rs-vpx.cnn

Yes, ok, this is Brian Stelter 'cherry picking tweets to suit his lame stream narrative'!

Even if these tweets were lost amongst a mass of useful, intelligent, empathic, dignified tweets they are still actual quotes. They are what the man said, and the context in which he said it.

And these are before the 'Nobel/Noble' nonsense - today's offering of which was written in literate English by one of his minders. How far will they go to protect him?

It has been said before, but I think we are now genuinely off the bottom of the scale. The breakdown has already happened. Future appearances will only be at rallies or very, very closely supervised, he will be carried to November - on who's instructions? It is suddenly possible to be a conspiracy theorist and not even get close to what is going on. Either that or the combination of under-educated, over media-influenced, insular pockets of society and an unimaginably wealthy, power hungry and pretty much sociopathic element in control is finally bearing fruit.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Wait - I thought the reason why he wouldn't make November was his cognitive decline, and before that, Hunter Biden's issues, and before that, his poor showing in the Primaries?

Meanwhile, Trump's sterling handling of the Covid19 outbreak is earning him praise from across every cross-section of America*

*now that was sarcasm

They're both piss poor candidates. New GOP standard early play is to throw out a sexual misconduct accusation but this one isn't going away any time soon.

Media already skirting around the issue and this Larry King clip really gives it some credibility.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    CNN will continue to hold whomever is POTUS to account. It will appear that they don't go in as much on Biden simply because Biden will have less to get worked up about.

But you can be sure that any perceived imbalance will be more than taking up by Fox and others.

I, hopefully more than expect, that were Biden to be elected things would actually calm down in terms of bipartisanship. Unlike Obama, Biden isn't an African American and he has many R friends in DC so would be less divisive. And unlike Trump, Biden will, I assume based on his career, look to build consensus.

It is hard to get people to work with you when you continually call them losers, liars, do nothings, and use petty nicknames to demean them.

I think you're very wrong about CNN. They are the opposite side of the coin to Fox. They are lambasting Trump because he's a republican first and foremost. Biden will mostly get a free ride by CNN not because of any stellar record, but because they are funded by the democratic party. That's how American media works unfortunately. I think its wishful thinking that Biden will somehow unite the nation. All these partisan news sources aren't going to change their tune overnight. The US is a bad spot and it's been going this way for a long time. Either side is getting further entrenched with the advent of social media echo chambers. I'm not sure what can turn it around at this point.

Best case scenario is Biden can repair some international relations, internally though, they won't stop eating themselves.

looksee wrote: »
    https://edition.cnn.com/videos/media/2020/04/26/life-during-coronavirus-brian-stelter-rs-vpx.cnn

Yes, ok, this is Brian Stelter 'cherry picking tweets to suit his lame stream narrative'!

Even if these tweets were lost amongst a mass of useful, intelligent, empathic, dignified tweets they are still actual quotes. They are what the man said, and the context in which he said it.

And these are before the 'Nobel/Noble' nonsense - today's offering of which was written in literate English by one of his minders. How far will they go to protect him?

It has been said before, but I think we are now genuinely off the bottom of the scale. The breakdown has already happened. Future appearances will only be at rallies or very, very closely supervised, he will be carried to November - on who's instructions? It is suddenly possible to be a conspiracy theorist and not even get close to what is going on. Either that or the combination of under-educated, over media-influenced, insular pockets of society and an unimaginably wealthy, power hungry and pretty much sociopathic element in control is finally bearing fruit.

I think he has hit rock bottom.

We have the footage. We have the context. We have the excuse that took 24 hours and it is ridiculous.

It is simpler to explain than Russia. It is simpler to understand than Ukraine.

It is clear to anyone willing to see - the man is an idiot.

If anyone is defending him now, then they are lost to any argument in the future. They are not for turning. They are about 30% and constitute those that would vote for him if he shot someone on 5th Avenue.

Ignore them.

Focus on the 70%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

banie01 wrote: »
    Trump and what he considers to be "Sarcasm" speaks quite a bit towards his command of English really.

If you are being sarcastic, and have to explain the sarcasm to 99.99% of the population...

Well then, that sounds to me to be far more a case of Schroedinger's idiot.

On that note, did anyone suggest that he was being "sarcastic" before he said it himself? Did anyone suggest he was joking? No? Is it because it would not occur to anyone based on what he said?

I only recall apologists mentioning that he was musing out loud, or not talking to a doctor, or was actually on to something of value. Don't remember anyone pointing out the now obvious "sarcasm".

I suppose the next step will be for someone to explain how the definition of sarcasm is not how we understand it at all and can only be really comprehended by a genius (preferably a very stable one).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

"What about the fact that the Ukrainian President and his administration is investigating Biden's son for CORRUPTION and how Sleepy Joe threatened to withdraw aid if his son was investigated! Lock him up! Where are the servers?"....plus similar tweets for the next few months.

That planned smear and re-election ploy didn't get to bear it's fruit thanks to getting torpedoed by the whistle blower and so the grasping for anything dirty will need to suffice.

The Nal wrote: »
    They're both piss poor candidates. New GOP standard early play is to throw out a sexual misconduct accusation but this one isn't going away any time soon.

Media already skirting around the issue and this Larry King clip really gives it some credibility.

How is Biden a piss poor candidate?

He is a professional politician, he has 8 years experience as VP, involved in turning around an economy in deep recession. He has experience in building consensus against party lines.

If you were interviewing two people for any job and these two were the only two candidates, there is only one anyone would select.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

check_six wrote: »

I suppose the next step will be for someone to explain how the definition of sarcasm is not how we understand it at all and can only be really comprehended by a genius (preferably a very stable one).

100%
    No doubt Pete will be along soon to ignore questions and pontificate on how us mere mortal "libs" and "lefties" don't grasp the Shakespearian nuance of language that Don brings to bear.

What we need is the student version of Don's speech's!
    Much like Shakespeare plays. The actual meaning of what is being said, and the stage direction are on a different page...

Much like the rest of the world compared to Don when it comes to dealing with Covid.

By that measure it won't be until the 24th Century that Don's "Genius" is appreciated ;)
    Shortly before Buck Rodgers is defrosted...

Leroy42 wrote: »
    How is Biden a piss poor candidate?

Hes gaff prone, he ran in 1988 and got nowhere, he ran in 2008 and got nowhere. Hes 78 years of age. His main achievement is sitting on many committees for decades. Hes never been directly involved in a competitive election. Obama wanted to get rid of him in 2012 and he was effectively removed from the internal decision making process in Obamas admin etc etc.

Hes a career politician. A senator with a safe job. He was chosen as VP to "folksie" up the ticket, thats all. I really worry about his ability to fight the GOP machine thats coming his way.

But theres no question hes far better than Trump. I mean who isn't at this stage?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I never thought Biden was the right candidate, the Democratic field was pretty uninspiring throughout, with Warren being the best in my eyes - though not palatable to many in Swing States. America had its experiment in a chaotic, anti-establishment outsider and it has been a disaster (depending on ones curated viewpoints and/or biases). The pandemic being the capper on various unconnected moments of Trump's ineptitude and inability to lead. It shouldn't be forgotten that even with a majority in Congress & The Senate, he couldn't get the ACA repeal through. Or his wall. Or lock Hillary up. He barely got the Tax changes through - and they're scarcely popular. It takes something to be that in control over the mechanisms of the state yet achieve nothing.

Joe Biden is too old and frankly - to be a little morbid - his VP pick could be more relevant than they otherwise tend to be. That woman, if what he said holds true, may become the President by default. At which point America's partisanship might put constitutional succession under the microscope (I don't seriously think McConnell would simply "let" the VP become president). Biden is however, a delegator and someone who'll sit in a room of experts and take their council. He frequently said as much during the debates: when asked what he'd do were he in charge of CoVid, his response amounted to that he'd shut up and listen. That's an astonishing low bar to meet but again, as we have seen, Trump is singularly incapable of taking a backseat even in an existential crisis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,713 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Biden is both the least appropriate candidate for this election the Democrats could have went with and a perfect example of the broken two party system. The Democrats have learned absolutely nothing from Hilary Clinton's catastrophic failure to beat Donald Trump of all people in 2016. Instead of going for a change candidate they've done the exact same thing again somehow. I'm not completely sure if it's down to a reluctance of the party elites to face facts or reality imposing itself as both US parties are just too big and this is the result of that. In the UK, we've seen both the Labour and Conservative parties nearly dismember themselves because of internecine internal conflict. How the US parties even hold together is shocking. The Republicans seem to be better at sticking together than the Democrats. The danger for the latter of course is that the left will just stay home on election day if it isn't satisfied whereas the right will actually vote.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

Biden has proven to be phenomenally popular in the primaries.

He is "vanilla", but that's who they chose.

Everyone of the candidates had a stick to beat them with in any contest with Trump. Ffs it doesn't matter if JC came back and ran against him. Fox would whip up a sh1tstorm about him. The Dems pitched with the one they reckon had a better chance of beating Trump.

He wouldn't have been my first choice either, but there is night and day between him and Donny.

Yeah, I agree. Is Biden my choice or the type I would think the US should go for?

No, but just as some Trump voters in 2016 said that they voted for Trump as the alternative, HC, was so awful, then clearly the choice is really only Biden.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree with pretty much everything in the last few posts.

Biden is indeed the vanilla , safe , boring , same old same old choice.

But to some extent , that's the point.

Whilst a shift in US politics to something more recognizable in the rest of the world as "social democrat" or the like would be great and probably well received on the ground in the US , the current electoral and governance structures make that almost impossible to achieve in a single step.

So the 1st step is get rid of the trainee demogogue from the WH and maybe even nick the Senate leadership too. then you can start the long process of shifting the overton window back towards the centre after it's journey rightward in recent years.

So - Yes it would have been nice if they could have found someone equally vanilla with decent levels of name recognition that was 15-20 years younger , but if those people exist they didn't put their hand up , so Biden it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Given Biden will be 78 for his inauguration if elected., his choice of running mate will be of great interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

Biden is both the least appropriate candidate for this election the Democrats could have went with and a perfect example of the broken two party system. The Democrats have learned absolutely nothing from Hilary Clinton's catastrophic failure to beat Donald Trump of all people in 2016. Instead of going for a change candidate they've done the exact same thing again somehow. I'm not completely sure if it's down to a reluctance of the party elites to face facts or reality imposing itself as both US parties are just too big and this is the result of that. In the UK, we've seen both the Labour and Conservative parties nearly dismember themselves because of internecine internal conflict. How the US parties even hold together is shocking. The Republicans seem to be better at sticking together than the Democrats. The danger for the latter of course is that the left will just stay home on election day if it isn't satisfied whereas the right will actually vote.

The sense I'm getting from America is that mainstream Democrats were prepared to keep Trump in office over a "radical" like Sanders getting in and possibly expanding the state.

• Advertisement

The sense I'm getting from America is that mainstream Democrats were prepared to keep Trump in office over a "radical" like Sanders getting in and possibly expanding the state.

But you also believe that the Democrats have been involved in many hoaxes to try to force Trump out of office!

Sanders didn't get the votes. He didn't get them in 2016, didn't get them in 2020.

THe US is not ready for a 'scoialist'. Nothing to do with the democrats.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement