Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,670 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I don't know who did the briefing layout and planning as I cut short my viewing once Mike started. Re presentation, I wonder was the Rose Garden chosen because it's an outdoor setting, subliminal messaging about opening up instead of being stuck indoors. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to the White House press office.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

aloyisious wrote: »
    I don't know who did the briefing layout and planning as I cut short my viewing once Mike started. Re presentation, I wonder was the Rose Garden chosen because it's an outdoor setting, subliminal messaging about opening up instead of being stuck indoors. Maybe I'm giving too much credit to the White House press office.

They can control the presser much easier outside
    Media have to get a mic brought to them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They can control the presser much easier outside
    Media have to get a mic brought to them

It's also more suitable for those parades of CEOs he's so fond of.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

Someone should tell the Don New Zealand are the the go to guys for Co Vid advice. I wonder will Ms Ardern tell the world that their collective to success was due to Trumps amazing leadership and know how.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Seeing a spike in bleach related incidents in the US. Obviously he takes no responsibility but it is pretty clear this would not have happened had he simply not talked about injecting disinfectant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

The last outside briefing he left because it was too cold... if it’s warm he will stick with outside

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

The last outside briefing he left because it was too cold... if it’s warm he will stick with outside

<snip >

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Trump signed an executive order allowing Us companies to lunar mine without international permission

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Trump signed an executive order allowing Us companies to lunar mine without international permission

Sounds like something a lunatic would do.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's meaningless.

He might as well have signed an executive order saying "I hereby give people the permission to use cars" for all the additional legal weight it carries.

Congress already passed a law on this back in 2015 giving US companies permission to exploit the Moon and Asteroids - They did this because the US have not signed up to the 1979 "Moon Treaty" which looks for all Space activity to conform to International law. So his executive order doesn't do anything at all.

Also - Given that companies haven't taken up all of the new licences that he has given out for mining/drilling here on earth there is an almost zero chance that anyone will actually do anything.They've had 5 years already and no one has anything in planning anywhere.

It's just pointless "Busy work" to make it seem like he's doing something other than tweeting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Good to see he's concentrating on the important stuff.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's meaningless.

He might as well have signed an executive order saying "I hereby give people the permission to use cars" for all the additional legal weight it carries.

Congress already passed a law on this back in 2015 giving US companies permission to exploit the Moon and Asteroids - They did this because the US have not signed up to the 1979 "Moon Treaty" which looks for all Space activity to conform to International law. So his executive order doesn't do anything at all.

Also - Given that companies haven't taken up all of the new licences that he has given out for mining/drilling here on earth there is an almost zero chance that anyone will actually do anything.They've had 5 years already and no one has anything in planning anywhere.

It's just pointless "Busy work" to make it seem like he's doing something other than tweeting.

Just had a Google of space mining

16 Psyche is an asteroid full of metal in the asteroid belt that could be worth $700 quintillion. NASA plans to visit 16 Psyche by 2026. Commercial mining of faraway asteroids could still be decades away and some set closer targets, like the moon.

Also one metallic type asteroid 1.6 km in diameter would hold up to 20 trillion USD in industrial and prescious metals.

Nothing going to happen on that front obviously but crazy what's out there. NASA aren't planning to visit in the name of exploration. They are going on the name of mining exploration.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Good to see he's concentrating on the important stuff.

It’s building stats to claim he done x whilst in office. He likes to boast about what he’s done and his followers like to say look at all he’s done regardless of whether it was needed or even of any value.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Just had a Google of space mining

16 Psyche is an asteroid full of metal in the asteroid belt that could be worth $700 quintillion. NASA plans to visit 16 Psyche by 2026. Commercial mining of faraway asteroids could still be decades away and some set closer targets, like the moon.

Also one metallic type asteroid 1.6 km in diameter would hold up to 20 trillion USD in industrial and prescious metals.

Nothing going to happen on that front obviously but crazy what's out there. NASA aren't planning to visit in the name of exploration. They are going on the name of mining exploration.

Without question the potential stuff out there is incredible but actually being able to get it is several decades away at least.

Trump signing an executive order announcing that he's now allowing people to do something they could already do in the middle of a Pandemic that has resulted in the deaths of heading towards 60,000 US citizens is the very definition of utterly pointless busy work.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Trump is a great lover of grand, empty gestures with no follow through. The Wall probably the best example of his terrestrial attempts - but I can't think of any decision more emblematic of that shallowness than giving rights to US companies to mine the moon.

The technology simply doesn't exist to exploit the resources available outside our gravity well. It's still in the theoretical or conceptual space (no pun intended) and Trump signing an executive order has about as much importance as if I declared permission.

Actually he just ratified it. I read a little more into it.

"In 2015 - before Trump took office - President Barack Obama signed into law the U.S. Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act, which Congress passed, thanks in large part to the efforts of Texas Sen. Ted Cruz (R). The Act, among other things, mandated that American space miners would retain ownership of the resources they extracted.

On April 6 President Trump signed an executive order confirming the principles of the U.S. Commercial Space Launch Competitiveness Act.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Why the need for a EO is the legislation already exists?

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Why the need for a EO is the legislation already exists?

This explains it pretty well.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-52228423

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I understand the thinking behind mining the moon, my question was why, if Obama already had legislation passed, is there a need for an EO?

My reading of it, and I don't know, is that it appears little more than saying that he agrees with the legislation, it is not much more than a PR stunt and an attempt to make it look like it was Trump, rather than Obama.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I understand the thinking behind mining the moon, my question was why, if Obama already had legislation passed, is there a need for an EO?

My reading of it, and I don't know, is that it appears little more than saying that he agrees with the legislation, it is not much more than a PR stunt and an attempt to make it look like it was Trump, rather than Obama.

Knowing what we know from his past behaviour, this is 100% the reason. Not like Trump hasn't gone out of his way to scuttle or destroy Obama's legislative legacy as it stands...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

That seems a lot like having your name added to something that you had little to do with, like a building or a steak.

It's basically a clarification within the legislation that anything the Us finds it then owns. It won't be sharing with anyone else. It's the third such piece of legislation regarding space and lunar mining signed by trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Because to roll it back, like he did with other Obama policies wasn't an option.

Because to roll it back, like he did with other Obama policies wasn't an option.

But it wasn't a roll back. It was more of a doubling down

Those executive orders have a hint of dictator about them. President just decides and that's that.

Trump has signed less executive orders than any of the past 20 US presidents. So far anyway

It's basically a clarification within the legislation that anything the Us finds it then owns. It won't be sharing with anyone else. It's the third such piece of legislation regarding space and lunar mining signed by trump.

Those executive orders have a hint of dictator about them. President just decides and that's that

Essentially - It's " Obama did this , but I agree with it , so I'll just roll out a meaningless EO so that the latest action on it is mine so people will think it was my idea"

Infantile.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Essentially - It's " Obama did this , but I agree with it , so I'll just roll out a meaningless EO so that the latest action on it is mine so people will think it was my idea"

Infantile.

The order has a few parts not in the original Obama legislation. It concerns putting a plan in place. It's not the same thing. It's an extension

"The US is not the only country that has plans for the Moon and other celestial bodies. China has ambitious plans in this regard too. A few years ago, Ye Peijian, chief commander and designer of China’s lunar exploration programme stated that China would send the first batch of asteroid exploration spacecraft around 2020.

Ye added that “many of the asteroids near the Earth contain high concentrations of precious metals,” which could rationalise the huge cost and risks involved in these activities. He estimated their economic value to be in the trillions of US dollars"

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Those executive orders have a hint of dictator about them. President just decides and that's that.

Trump has signed less executive orders than any of the past 20 US presidents. So far anyway

I didn't say it was, I said that wasn't an option because Trump is against the preservation of any potential natural reserves so even though it was an Obama policy, he wouldn't have done so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

And like that, Trump makes a meaningless gesture, and suddenly the narrative is directed away from the colossal clusterf9ck that is this administration's handling of this pandemic

duploelabs wrote: »
    And like that, Trump makes a meaningless gesture, and suddenly the narrative is directed away from the colossal clusterf9ck that is this administration's handling of this pandemic

No there are enough Coronavirus Trump threads and discussion. There are other things to talk about

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »

In fairness, I doubt this will gain traction beyond the Late Night hosts taking some shots at Trump's Space Force again; and will be forgotten quick enough come the next press conference or release of infections/deaths.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement