Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,489 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

She also said on CNN that Trump has *never* lied.

Clownshow masquerading as an omnishambles.

Ahh, yeah, great interview by Chris Cuomo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBkRIlH-bQ

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Igotadose wrote: »
    Ahh, yeah, great interview by Chris Cuomo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuBkRIlH-bQ

I dunno, I've no idea what value that kind of interview brings other than viral or comedy. At least with classic Jeremy Paxman (for instance), there was a chance to catch a politician out on their slippery logic. Trumpian politics has dived straight into cultish "the sky is green" biases. It's no great surprise Trump's Press Sec. is a fundamentalist or acts so shamelessly. And at this point, there'll be nobody tuning in who isn't already either neutral or hostile towards the administration. I don't disagree with the principle of holding these peoples' feet to the fire, it just seems a waste of effort too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Damn right the playground involves a citation, what if others use it later and pass the virus on. Just because you are the sole user at a particular time does not mean there is no risk of later transmission. Similar with a jet ski, should anything go wrong you are needlessly calling on emergency services and put them at risk.

NZ banned both as part of lockdown and it makes 100% sense that they did and the outcome because of it is better than nearly anywhere else

My wife attacks the contact points with chlorox before letting the son on the equipment. It is possible to use a bit of personal initiative and a more tailored response than to use a sledgehammer against the problem.

There are all sorts of things we can do on the water which may require the dispatch of emergency services. Jetskiing may be prohibited, but motorboating, sailing, kayaking, and canoeing are all permitted in Michigan. The order seems silent on waterskiing or other occasionally dangerous activities such as spelunking or cliff-climbing. As looksee observes...
    looksee wrote: »
    Similarly with the jet skis, horrible things should be sunk anyway, but the fact of them zooming around the lake is not the point. To get to the lake it was almost inevitable that they had had to go through a restricted area (beach, recreation area) to get there. If people can jet ski why can't others swim? Then lie on the beach, then mingle to use the showers/restrooms/whatever. Either there are shut downs, or there are not.

Well, there isn't a shutdown, there is a mitigation. We have already noted a few posts back how California has just shut down beaches in one county, but not the other twenty (and I'm ignoring lakeside counties such as the Tahoe region) because it was felt that too many people in that one county were at the beach. There apparently were not too many people at the beach in San Diego, San Luis Obispo, Ventura, etc. If you don't want to have people go through folks at the beach when they launch their (illegally used) jetski or (legally used) speedboat, then why not just rule "When you use the boatramp, nobody else gets within ten feet"?

I suspect much of NZ's success also comes from the fact that they sealed the borders very early, they had much fewer numbers to begin with, being a little 'off the beaten track' and they are not a particularly high-density area like a European or NorthEast US city. Even Auckland and Wellington are fairly spread out. Regardless, it's the arbitrariness of the rules, particularly without convincing explanation, which is annoying people. What's the argument against my spending the weekend in my personally-owned cabin in the woods, totally isolated from anyone else, when I can go hang gliding?
    hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Why do you think they brought them in this instance?
    Presumably they wished to attract attention (a hundred folks openly displaying guns gets more news coverage than a hundred folks not openly displaying guns, be they armed or not), and firearms seem to have developed into a visible symbol of individual rights.
    No need to worry though. If things did go south, and there was an incident and anyone was hurt or killed, the politicians would have all of their thoughts and prayers ready to comfort everyone

Perhaps, but on the other hand, how many openly armed protests have we seen in the last decade and how many have turned violent? There have been rather more casualties where the protestors are not openly armed. There have even been shootings at protests where the shooter was not partaking with in the protest at all, let alone most protesters being not openly armed (eg 2016 Dallas). To a large extent, the fact that everybody's armed seems to make everyone careful. I suspect more people have been killed in North American legislatures were firearms are banned (eg US Congress, 1954, Ottawa 2014, or Quebec 1984) than in incidents where they are being openly displayed, so the threat remains regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Does anyone else struggle to understand Biden ? His sentences are so mangled... I know he has a speech impediment but it’s a very bad look... in the interview today with msnbc he does not come across as trustworthy...: and he seems to have a temper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Does anyone else struggle to understand Biden ? His sentences are so mangled... I know he has a speech impediment but it’s a very bad look... in the interview today with msnbc he does not come across as trustworthy...: and he seems to have a temper

You can't honestly say that with regards to Biden in a Trump thread without huge irony.
    Trump wrote:
    I have broken more Elton John records. He seems to have a lot of records. And I, by the way, I don’t have a musical instrument. I don’t have a guitar or an organ. No organ. Elton has an organ. And lots of other people helping. No, we’ve broken a lot of records. We’ve broken virtually every record. Because you know, look, I only need this space. They need much more room. For basketball, for hockey and all of the sports, they need a lot of room. We don’t need it. We have people in that space. So we break all of these records. Really, we do it without, like, the musical instruments. This is the only musical – the mouth. And hopefully the brain attached to the mouth, right? The brain. More important than the mouth is the brain. The brain is much more important.
    Trump wrote:
    Look, having nuclear — my uncle was a great professor and scientist and engineer, Dr. John Trump at MIT; good genes, very good genes, OK, very smart, the Wharton School of Finance, very good, very smart — you know, if you’re a conservative Republican, if I were a liberal, if, like, OK, if I ran as a liberal Democrat, they would say I’m one of the smartest people anywhere in the world — it’s true! — but when you’re a conservative Republican they try — oh, do they do a number — that’s why I always start off: Went to Wharton, was a good student, went there, went there, did this, built a fortune — you know I have to give my like credentials all the time, because we’re a little disadvantaged — but you look at the nuclear deal, the thing that really bothers me — it would have been so easy, and it’s not as important as these lives are — nuclear is so powerful; my uncle explained that to me many, many years ago, the power and that was 35 years ago; he would explain the power of what’s going to happen and he was right, who would have thought? — but when you look at what’s going on with the four prisoners — now it used to be three, now it’s four — but when it was three and even now, I would have said it’s all in the messenger; fellas, and it is fellas because, you know, they don’t, they haven’t figured that the women are smarter right now than the men, so, you know, it’s gonna take them about another 150 years — but the Persians are great negotiators, the Iranians are great negotiators, so, and they, they just killed, they just killed us, this is horrible.

Then again, if I remember correctly, you once said in this thread that Trump forgives and hands out olive branches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Good to see the idiot stirring **** again :rolleyes:

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1256202305680158720?s=21

Won’t be long before it kicks off with the way he keeps stoking the fire, and there’ll be a bloodbath.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

She also said on CNN that Trump has *never* lied.

Clownshow masquerading as an omnishambles.

Wait is that who’s trumps new press secretary ? I saw her name but never made the connection. Oh she’s going to make Sean spicer look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

This interview? Watching now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

fullstop wrote: »

Won’t be long before it kicks off with the way he keeps stoking the fire, and there’ll be a bloodbath.

These would be the "Good People" with flak jackets and assault rifles that stormed State government buildings?

The Governor should sit down with those people and make a deal so they can "get their lives back"?

Sure.. and as someone else mentioned -

Imagine a load of guys wearing Keffiyehs with AK's strapped across their chests rocking up to the WH demanding to talk to the President about his Muslim ban , because you know they are just good people that just want their lives back.

Would he "Give a little to put out the fire"??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Masked and armed gangs invading government buildings are good men. Okaaaay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Notice how some-one slips in a safeguard word "safely" so he cant be accused of backing the protestors to the point where they are at risk from the virus while ignoring the people who work in the building [the legislators and state servants running the fight against the virus] being put at risk by the protestors on two levels.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Quin_Dub wrote: »

Would he "Give a little to put out the fire"??

I wonder if the Michigan Governer followed Trump's example with Kaepernick and the other take a knee protesters would Don agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

aloyisious wrote: »
    Notice how he slips in a safeguard word "safely" so he cant be accused of backing the protestors to the point where they are at risk from the virus while ignoring the people who work in the building [the legislators and state servants running the fight against the virus] being put at risk by the protestors on two levels.

His two-faced approach seems to be backfiring:

An Emerson College Polling national survey released on Tuesday showed that Trump's job-approval rating dropped 5 percentage points since March, from 46 to 41%, while approval of the president's handling of the coronavirus dropped a whopping 10 percentage points, from 49 to 39%.

An NPR/PBS NewsHour/Marist poll released Wednesday showed a majority of respondents (55%) disapproved of Trump's handling of the pandemic, which marked a 6-point increase in disapproval over the past month.

And Morning Consult polling released on Monday showed that since it reached a high point in mid-March, net approval of the president's handling of COVID-19 (the disease caused by the novel coronavirus) hit a new low and dropped 22 points. Overall, a majority of respondents who identified as voters (51%) disapproved of Trump's coronavirus response, the poll showed, while 43% approved. The survey was conducted between April 24 and April 26, the days that followed Trump's controversial, dangerous suggestion that disinfectant or sunlight could be injected or used "inside the body" to combat the coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭eire4

I have said before that if it gets close to November and the polls show he is going to lose watch out as there is no way he will just walk away. He will lash out for sure and things could indeed get violent although the way things are going now as you say that violence could happen a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Wait is that who’s trumps new press secretary ? I saw her name but never made the connection. Oh she’s going to make Sean spicer look good.

Kayleigh is a total Trump disciple. She was basically 'created' by CNN as a national Republican talking head during the 2016 race as she appeared almost nightly as a Trump surrogate. When she went on to bigger things in the RNC, it was only a matter of time before she zeroed into the WH role. She's a mini Kelly Anne Conway and she's well able to spin the reality by a complete 180 degrees and sound convincing. She's very smart, and it'll take the WH Press Corps a while to get to grips with her, particularly the men, and don't be surprised if she uses the giggly cheerleader act for them.

Regardless of how I feel about her (which is that she is another lying apologist propagandist for a grifting narcissist megalomaniac) I welcome the opportunity for the Press to seek information and try to extract truth from this WH, away from whirling helicopter blades and faux- rallies.

It's up to their professionalism to manage her version of 'truth' and deny her the ability to abuse the Briefing Room with another slew of 'alternative facts'.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

eire4 wrote: »
    I have said before that if it gets close to November and the polls show he is going to lose watch out as there is no way he will just walk away. He will lash out for sure and things could indeed get violent although the way things are going now as you say that violence could happen a lot sooner.

If he loses, the period November to January is going to be incredibly dangerous. I said this a while back - I think his main fear about losing the election is that he knows he'll be open to criminal charges once he leaves office. It could get very messy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Actually I just read a great point on reddit to drive Hien how much this is about systemic racism - the Dakota gasoline protestors who did so about it being on native American soil were gassed and had rubber bullets shot at them.

Trump supporters storm the governors mansion because they don't think the law should apply to them and instead, they are justnelt do as they wish. Just like the Ammon Bundy situation.

There really is no denying that America has a seriois racism problem, not just in the public but all the way through law enforcement and government.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    If he loses, the period November to January is going to be incredibly dangerous. I said this a while back - I think his main fear about losing the election is that he knows he'll be open to criminal charges once he leaves office. It could get very messy indeed.

I think if he loses, he won't be prosecuted for anything. I think they might use threats of a prosecution to keep him off a weekly show on Fox called 'President Trump speaks to the nation' or whatever but they won't shine too much a light on how messed up the political system in the US is that he ended up as President.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Actually I just read a great point on reddit to drive Hien how much this is about systemic racism - the Dakota gasoline protestors who did so about it being on native American soil were gassed and had rubber bullets shot at them.

Trump supporters storm the governors mansion because they don't think the law should apply to them and instead, they are justnelt do as they wish. Just like the Ammon Bundy situation.

If they tried to suppress the lockdown protestors it could very well turn nasty. There's not really anything to be gained from it. A group of peaceful protestors or protestors armed only with rocks? You can go to town on them. So it may be a danger thing more than a race thing.
    ;

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

kowloon wrote: »
    If they tried to suppress the lockdown protestors it could very well turn nasty. There's not really anything to be gained from it. A group of peaceful protestors or protestors armed only with rocks? You can go to town on them. So it may be a danger thing more than a race thing.
    ;

That would heavily imply that the US is a tyranny if the only thing stopping them from attacking peaceful protesters is violent retribution.

Till the US shows otherwise this is a race thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Mad times in US in the time of Corona...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Boards is fkd now, sorry folks. Why can't they sort it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,613 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Boards is fkd now, sorry folks. Why can't they sort it out?

Lots of people having luck with clearing their internet history on their browser.

Saw a help thread on the topic earlier. Didn't see any clear explanation or instruction from Boards at that point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭amandstu

Assumed it was a security measure like they did a month or so back(to stop hacking)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

All guns in Canada must be registered with the exception of shotguns or rifles, though after yesterday's incident I expect that may be getting changed back (Harper's Tories lifted it in 2012, since which gun crimes have been on the rise).

This is the difference in responsible ownership and more importantly, responsible governance (the lack which of in the US is exactly what allows so much irresponsible ownership).
    And just to get back to this post of mine from a few weeks back, on the very same day that Trump supporters in the US literally stormed the governors mansion armed to the teeth like terrorists, Canada imposed a huge and immediate ban on many of the weapons seen on display there.

This was predictable because Canada, unlike the US, has responsible governance and not an overgrown man baby egging on fools who value their toys (and that is all these types of weapons are, incredibly dangerous toys) over the lives of others.

Trudeau announces ban on 1,500 types of 'assault-style' firearms — effective immediately
    Prime Minister Justin Trudeau today announced a ban on some 1,500 makes and models of military-grade "assault-style" weapons in Canada, effective immediately.

Starting today, licensed gun owners will no longer be allowed to sell, transport, import or use these sorts of weapons in this country.

"As of today, the market for assault weapons in Canada is closed," Public Safety Minister Bill Blair said. "Enough is enough. Banning these firearms will save Canadian lives."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-gun-control-measures-ban-1.5552131

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

My wife attacks the contact points with chlorox before letting the son on the equipment. It is possible to use a bit of personal initiative and a more tailored response than to use a sledgehammer against the problem.
    you may think like that but the majority certainly do not. This is about protecting everyone, not just yourself.
    There are all sorts of things we can do on the water which may require the dispatch of emergency services. Jetskiing may be prohibited, but motorboating, sailing, kayaking, and canoeing are all permitted in Michigan. The order seems silent on waterskiing or other occasionally dangerous activities such as spelunking or cliff-climbing. As looksee observes...
    Well then thats just stupid decision making, everything water based should be banned, not just pick and choose.

I suspect much of NZ's success also comes from the fact that they sealed the borders very early, they had much fewer numbers to begin with, being a little 'off the beaten track' and they are not a particularly high-density area like a European or NorthEast US city. Even Auckland and Wellington are fairly spread out.
    We also have a socially aware population that actually listen to govt advise and follow instruction for the most part, otherwise the internal community spread would have been much much worse.
    What's the argument against my spending the weekend in my personally-owned cabin in the woods, totally isolated from anyone else, when I can go hang gliding?
    Again its not about just you, its about protecting everyone. To get to your cabin requires unnecessary travel and probably trips to stores for additional supplies. Then times it by the several hundred thousand or millions who think the same and you are in a situation where you have huge volumes of unneeded travel contributing to the problem.

Your post come across typically American, all about MY rights and why can't I do this and that. It's not about you, its about everyone and the sooner the states and the individuals in those states realise this the sooner the US might actually be able to come up with some sort of effective response to this instead of the utter omnishambles we are currently seeing.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

at least they are still allowed to export them, so that gigantic market next door will soak it all up and not leave anyone overly out of pocket from disposing of their now illegal weapon. I'm sure the 'militias' in the US will be jumping at the opportunity to help out their unfortunate neighbours will some cash.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

The list is here.

https://www.scribd.com/document/459370005/Federal-government-banning-military-style-guns#from_embed

They have banned anything from WW2 anti-tank cannons to modern surface-to-air missile systems. I wasn't aware that they were a problem in Canada, but it does seem that tanks are still legal. (Which is good for my friends in Canada who own tanks. I don't happen to know any Canadians who own Starstreak missiles).

It also seems very arbitrary. Intermediate caliber semi-auto magazine-fed rifle like the M4, banned. Intermediate calibre semi-auto magazine fed rifle like the M1 Carbine. Not banned.

Actually, comparing with what's in my safe, I don't see the Steyr AUG, Tavor X95, AK-74, SIG-556 or FN-FAL in there on that list. I was wondering if it was because it's an amendment to the previous regulation, but the previous regulation doesn't seem to prohibit them either. [Edit. Found some in the previous regulation. My AK, AUG and FAL are banned. The Tavor and SIG are not]
    though after yesterday's incident I expect that may be getting changed back (Harper's Tories lifted it in 2012, since which gun crimes have been on the rise

Cancelled because it was useless. There was massive non-compliance, it wasn't solving crimes, and it was costing money. The Canadians are not the first to abandon such a plan, and won't be the last. See Maryland's ballistics database, for example, and I don't believe they've had a conservative government in decades. Further, the rifles which are being moved from "restricted" to "prohibited" were supposedly registered regardless of the removal of the long gun registry. The impetus for this bill is supposedly the shooting in Nova Scotia last week, which involved a number of firearms, some not affected by this list, and none of them legal because the guy wasn't a licensed owner. (He probably wasn't supposed to be impersonating a cop either, despite having four replica cruisers and a uniform)
    Again its not about just you, its about protecting everyone. To get to your cabin requires unnecessary travel and probably trips to stores for additional supplies. Then times it by the several hundred thousand or millions who think the same and you are in a situation where you have huge volumes of unneeded travel contributing to the problem.

On the other hand, my being in my cabin also means I'm not a drain on the city's supplies, not likely to encounter other folks in the park doing their morning constitutionals, and the city's shops are still plenty busy anyway. Accidents per mile travelled in the car are pretty low. If the object of the experiment is to keep people from contaminating each other, is the cost-benefit really against it? Or is it simply a case of bloody-mindedness.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,067 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Masked and armed gangs invading government buildings are good men. Okaaaay.

Did you not read what Manic said? It's grand. Nothing to see here. Second amendment, Ottawa* blah blah.

*As a former Ottawa resident, I'm pretty happy there's a lack of guns about the place. Even if the OPP weirded me out sometimes with theirs on patrol. Thankfully they are sound and not very aggressive unlike their Southern brethren.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is an attempt at a solution. One which most of the rest of the world tends to follow when these things happen. This is contrasted with the US approach which absolutely nothing. Want to guess what country is known for mass shootings?

It also depends on where the person got weapons illegally. Did that person have them legally. Maybe we can take a rung out earlier in the system or just try something more than thoughts and prayers.

Honestly I feel like a simple desire to have these weapons banned is more important than the actual banning. Most communities I see go for this can't happen again attitude to these and the attitude itself seems to help. However the attitude also means the weapons get banned.

In General I have met a fair few people who I am happy have very limited access to weapons. And happy to live in a place no one feels the need to protect themselves going into a town hall ffs. The US has a lot bigger wild animals than Ireland but not sure there were any there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement