Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The best way to deal with someone like Trump is not to try challenging them on their ground. You're really wasting your breath. What you do is mock them. This must be the best parody Iv'e ever heard.
    The Liar Sleeps Tonight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkU1ob_lHCw

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

Water John wrote: »
    The best way to deal with someone like Trump is not to try challenging them on their ground. You're really wasting your breath. What you do is mock them. This must be the best parody Iv'e ever heard.
    The Liar Sleeps Tonight
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkU1ob_lHCw

How is mocking Trump not challenging him on his own ground? Trump won his 2016 primary by mocking his opponents mercilessly and making up belittling nicknames for them.

I would argue that mocking Trump only digs the trenches a little deeper for either side, while the undecided moderates look on, utterly saddened by how far American political discourse has fallen.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

briany wrote: »
    How is mocking Trump not challenging him on his own ground? Trump won his 2016 primary by mocking his opponents mercilessly and making up belittling nicknames for them.

I would argue that mocking Trump only digs the trenches a little deeper for either side, while the undecided moderates look on, utterly saddened by how far American political discourse has fallen.

I dont think there's any point in trying to take the moral high ground against Trump anymore. It's time to play him at his own game, he absolutely hates anyone criticising/belittling him, so that's the route I'd take if I was the Dems.

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    I dont think there's any point in trying to take the moral high ground against Trump anymore. It's time to play him at his own game, he absolutely hates anyone criticising/belittling him, so that's the route I'd take if I was the Dems.

No, if you play Trump at his own game, you'll lose that game. Debasing the campaign into a mud wrestling match is exactly what he wants anyway because god knows he has not cogent points of policy to put across. Sloganeering and crass putdowns suits him down to the ground.

That 'The Liar Sleeps Tonight' is a clever, funny video, but it's exactly the kind of thing you can see being posted by Hollywood celebrities in a 'Haha, that'll show Trump!' kind of way, but who would these videos really convert away from Trump or convince to turn out to vote?

And finally even if the mockery bothered Trump so much, what would happen? Would it make him so mad that he goes out and blurts out something incredibly stupid in his rallies that tanks his campaign? :pac: I think that ship has sailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

If he loses, the period November to January is going to be incredibly dangerous. I said this a while back - I think his main fear about losing the election is that he knows he'll be open to criminal charges once he leaves office. It could get very messy indeed.

No way he ever gets prosecuted, you just can't do it, it would destroy their democracy.

• Advertisement

No way he ever gets prosecuted, you just can't do it, it would destroy their democracy.

I'm sure that Biden wouldn't stoop to this, but what craic would it be for him to threaten Trump with jail if Biden's elected? It wouldn't even be without precedent for this to be said on a debate stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

briany wrote: »
    I'm sure that Biden wouldn't stoop to this, but what craic would it be for him to threaten Trump with jail if Biden's elected? It wouldn't even be without precedent for this to be said on a debate stage.

In the event he is elected, it'd be better for Joe to say he'll leave it up to people who are minded to seek Don's prosecution on non-federal charges. There have to be a few hundred by now from Don's past life to come back to haunt him. Then all Joe has to say is "American justice won the day".

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I'm not sure why. Former president or not, people should face justice if they've done something wrong. I agree that it's unlikely that he'd ever be prosecuted but I reckon he's terrified about it.

I'm not sure why. Former president or not, people should face justice if they've done something wrong. I agree that it's unlikely that he'd ever be prosecuted but I reckon he's terrified about it.

And when the next administration is voted out of office... Then time for revenge.:eek: Joe's prob. old enough not to worry too much about it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

The Tara Reade accusation seems to be falling apart.

• Advertisement

The Tara Reade accusation seems to be falling apart.

Source, I'm interested.

Source, I'm interested.

Tara Reade.

“Tara Reade, the former Senate staffer who alleges Joe Biden sexually assaulted her 27 years ago, says she filed a limited report with a congressional personnel office that did not explicitly accuse him of sexual assault or harassment.“

She also cancelled interview with Fox News today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

And when the next administration is voted out of office... Then time for revenge.:eek: Joe's prob. old enough not to worry too much about it. :pac:

Yeah, everything every president has done would come up after they left and the new guy got in. It could lead to a horrible situation where only people who don't break the law could safely run for president. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 54,288 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Tara Reade.

“Tara Reade, the former Senate staffer who alleges Joe Biden sexually assaulted her 27 years ago, says she filed a limited report with a congressional personnel office that did not explicitly accuse him of sexual assault or harassment.“

She also cancelled interview with Fox News today.

Things must be bad when you don't do a interview with a channel that would effectively reinforce anything the interviewer says and magnify it by 100%

Fox must be gutted lol

Headshot wrote: »
    Things must be bad when you don't do a interview with a channel that would effectively reinforce anything the interviewer says and magnify it by 100%

Fox must be gutted lol

She needs to be heard.
    Why is she refusing to be interviewed?

Who knows, maybe she is a Democrat and doesn't want to be used by Fox News.

I suspect whether this has any merit or not, it will have a big bearing on election. Republicans will not let it lie.

For people who think the won't given Trumps record. Remember the whole John Kerry gunboat **** show.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

Who knows, maybe she is a Democrat and doesn't want to be used by Fox News.

I suspect whether this has any merit or not, it will have a big bearing on election. Republicans will not let it lie.

For people who think the won't given Trumps record. Remember the whole John Kerry gunboat **** show.

From what I have heard since Biden asked for all records from that time from congress her story changed saying... oh on second thoughts I never actually put in a complaint! And every staffer from that time never heard anything about this....also he was extremely and thoughly investigated for VP back in 2007 and over the last few years and this never came up....she has now canceled the fox interview....

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

kowloon wrote: »
    Yeah, everything every president has done would come up after they left and the new guy got in. It could lead to a horrible situation where only people who don't break the law could safely run for president. :D

The sign of a strong democracy is where the rule of law applies to everyone. If you break the law you should be prosecuted (even if still in office). It should not matter what your job is or was.
    Brings me to the presidential pardon. How on Earth that is allowed is beyond me.

MICKEYG wrote: »
    The sign of a strong democracy is where the rule of law applies to everyone. If you break the law you should be prosecuted (even if still in office). It should not matter what your job is or was.
    Brings me to the presidential pardon. How on Earth that is allowed is beyond me.

Another is an independent judiciary. I don't think one could say this is the case in the US.

Another is an independent judiciary. I don't think one could say this is the case in the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

vB55Ahp.jpg

A point I randomly came across that I had never considered. Actual journalism must be expensive. Are there many reliable sites that are free?

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

I should know this but how are judges, especially the most senior ones, selected here?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

vB55Ahp.jpg

A point I randomly came across that I had never considered. Actual journalism must be expensive. Are there many reliable sites that are free?

Reuters.

I haven't bothered watching the White House media briefing for a few days now. Has Dr Birx [or even Dr Fauci] been there letting the U.S public know where they stand on matters medical related to Covid-19?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

If it wasn't for the presidential pardon, how would Jack Bauer end up a free man after each season of 24, having broken numerous laws and beenon the run for 12 hours to save the president/the country/ his family?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Source, I'm interested.

I saw an article today where she said she’s “not sure” what words she used on her compliant she filed with the US senate. I think whoever is advising her is not doing her a service because if this allegation has merit then the way her side are handling it(not saying her specifically) is hurting her case.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,695 ✭✭✭eire4

vB55Ahp.jpg

Democracy Now is a good option.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,096 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

eire4 wrote: »
    Democracy Now is a good option.

Intercept is fine, got a wide range of lefty views from the more corporate wing to the left of the party. Its important atm as obviously focusing on how bad Trump is,, but not carrying water for corporate ghouls such as Cuomo which so many in the media are doing now sadly.

Jacobin is also good for longer reads.

Nothing on the right is much cop,,,either click bait muck like the daily wire which never provides any balance or some neocon boomer ****e like Bullwark yearning for the good old days of erm George Bush.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

68,000 deaths now in the US. The same capacity of the Tokyo National stadium for the Olympic Games.

• Advertisement

valoren wrote: »
    68,000 deaths now in the US. The same capacity of the Tokyo National stadium for the Olympic Games.

Linking that figure to the possible Covid-19 death figure tally mentioned by Don last Monday [65,000 - 70.000] it looks like the testing is beginning to reveal the true death toll, as the 68,000 tally is an official figure. When the taking of specimen samples gets more regular, with the labs getting fast test results, the tally of infected people will go up and the non-survivor tally as well. The only items in defence are stay away from encountering the virus AND [in the future] anti-viral drugs and anti-bodies to Covid-19. Even Don and Mike recognize contact with others can end with them being infected with Covid-19.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement