Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

CNN chyron "VALET TO PRESIDENT TRUMP TESTS POSITIVE FOR CORONAVIRUS"
    If you were to read it fast you might think......................

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

So not only did Trump use Guns N' Roses cover of Live And Let Die, without permission, he's also indirectly drawn Axl Rose's ire, having previously drawn his ire before. Axl took aim at Steve Mnuchin on Twitter late last night.

Screenshot of the exchange before Mnuchin deleted the reply due to use of the wrong flag.

EXYb0J6UEAAUrVh?format=jpg&name=medium

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Mnuchin seems to have reposted when he remembered what his country's flag looks like (the one he posted before is Liberia’s), and promptly got ripped a hit of a new ar*ehole.

https://mobile.twitter.com/axlrose/status/1258265406050951169

"My bad I didn’t get we’re hoping 2 emulate Liberia’s economic model but on the real unlike this admin I’m not responsible for 70k+ deaths n’ unlike u I don’t hold a fed gov position of responsibility 2 the American people n’ go on TV tellin them 2 travel the US during a pandemic."

Also, a pretty strong ad that Axl Rose may have been referencing in it, a spin on a famous Reagan" its morning in America" campaign ad from the 1980s (original here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8Qupc4PnQ )

It says a lot when your secretary of the treasury is getting mercilessly ripped apart by a washed up 1980s rock star better known for drug and weight problems ove r the last 30 years than their sharp wit or political nous.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Mnuchin seems to have reposted when he remembered what his country's flag looks like (the one he posted before is Liberia’s), and promptly got ripped a hit of a new ar*ehole.

"My bad I didn’t get we’re hoping 2 emulate Liberia’s economic model but on the real unlike this admin I’m not responsible for 70k+ deaths n’ unlike u I don’t hold a fed gov position of responsibility 2 the American people n’ go on TV tellin them 2 travel the US during a pandemic."

Also, a pretty strong ad that Axl Rose may have been referencing in it, a spin on a famous Reagan" its morning in America" campaign ad from the 1980s (original here - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fa8Qupc4PnQ )

It says a lot when your secretary of the treasury is getting mercilessly ripped apart by a washed up 1980s rock star better known for drug and weight problems ove r the last 30 years than their sharp wit or political nous.

He clearly doesn't like the way Trump and Co are running the country into the ground. The replies to his tweet reflect that, some row in behind him in support, others don't. Though it does seem strange Mnuchin found that tweet (vanity searching his own name?) as he doesn't follow Axl on Twitter, and Axl doesn't follow anyone at all. Unless someone showed it to him.

Just to correct, Axl wasn't really known for his drug use, overdosed once way back in 1986, got a great song out of it years later. He was more known for late starts, sometimes no shows & riots doing several thousand dollars worth of damage :pac:

The weight problems I'll give you as he went from late 80's & early 90's (and some of the 2000's whenever he would appear) shredded sex symbol to gradually what people see today when GN'R are on tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

I don’t think you can say Axel Rose is washed up... Guns and roses last tour was third highest grossing tour ever... it made $480,000,000..... it can be argued he is more successful then ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Charges against Flynn set to be dropped, another big win. For Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That valet who tasted positive served trump his meals and the White House is saying both the president and Vice President tested negative at some point this week, if the person tested positive this week surely the president needs to the tested in a week or so to be safe. You'd laugh if it wasn't so serious as trump is in a high risk group for getting seriously ill from coronavirus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Charges against Flynn set to be dropped, another big win. For Trump

Over 75 thousand dead, 30 million unemployed, economy in freefall.
    Any comment?

Also, it was Trump who fired him in the first place AND he plead guilty.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    . You'd laugh if it wasn't so serious as trump is in a high risk group for getting seriously ill from coronavirus.

Nah, he's the healthiest president ever and will remain so for the duration of his Presidency and beyond...

That and other remarkable health attributes he makes about himself will keep him healthy ;)

I'm sure he is taking plenty of prophylactic Hydroxycloroquin anyway, or some other snake oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Over 75 thousand dead, 30 million unemployed, economy in freefall.
    Any comment?

Also, it was Trump who fired him in the first place AND he plead guilty.

Focusing on the Flynn case alone, and leaving TDS out of it (whether the derangement is Pro or Anti Trump), this is actually a major development and points to a very broken system of law enforcement and justice in the USA.

Either:
    A) Flynn did what he was charged with and plead guilty to, and this decision to drop charges is FUBAR,

or

B) Flynn was targeted for legal assassination by the investigative and legal processes and forced to cop a plea, and that is FUBAR...

There's no other way to look at it, IMHO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    Focusing on the Flynn case alone, and leaving TDS out of it (whether the derangement is Pro or Anti Trump), this is actually a major development and points to a very broken system of law enforcement and justice in the USA.

Either:
    A) Flynn did what he was charged with and plead guilty to, and this decision to drop charges is FUBAR,

or

B) Flynn was targeted for legal assassination by the investigative and legal processes and forced to cop a plea, and that is FUBAR...

Hasn't he another case coming up next year?
    America seems to be turning into a banana republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Mike Flynn charges dropped by the Justice Dept. Gotta say, for a guy who plead guilty not once, but twice I can't wait to dig into this one and see what exactly seems to have happened here. Trump was making pardoning noises a couple of weeks back but was urged to let it play out apparently and the decision to abruptly drop all charges at this point is damn interesting.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5 VanishingPoint

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Either:

or

And which do you think it is?

One of them is just a little bit more likely than the other.

Hint: it isn't B).

Hasn't he another case coming up next year?
    America seems to be turning into a banana republic.

Focusing on this case alone, 'Something is rotten in the State' (as Marcellus said of Denmark in Hamlet) certainly echoes your banana republic analogy.

And, Marcellus used the term as analogous to the rotting of a fish, which is reputed to rot from the head first, and then proceeds to rot down to the tail...

And which do you think it is?

One of them is just a little bit more likely than the other.

Hint: it isn't B).

Unless it is B....

B as in Barr......

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Trump will claim this Flynn thing as a victory, and no doubt the likes if Fox and his support will cheer and celebrate.

However, as alluded to, this points to a serious issue with democracy and the democratic process. And also the entire justice system.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Trump will claim this Flynn thing as a victory, and no doubt the likes if Fox and his support will cheer and celebrate.

However, as alluded to, this points to a serious issue with democracy and the democratic process. And also the entire justice system.

I can imagine the crowing from Ingraham, Carlson, Hannity et al for the next week on this... And tonight will be off the rails with 'told you so'.....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Looks like Trump supporters have been paying women to make up sexual assault allegations.

Not the first tiem either, the same person paid a male stripper to claim he had bondage sex with Elizabeth Warren, which the stripper then admitted was a lie.

https://www.complex.com/life/2020/05/woman-who-alleged-dr-fauci-sexually-assaulted-her-says-she-was-paid-by-trump-supporters-to-lie
    Diana Andrade, a woman who had accused Dr. Anthony Fauci of sexual assault, now says she was paid by Trump supporters to lie.

"I feel very bad about lying to you and others about Dr. Fauci," Andrade said in an email to Reason's Nancy Rommelmann, as reported on Thursday. "I took it upon myself to call Jacob Wohl and Jack Burkman and record them (see attached)… Many thanks and again, I feel very bad about all this. I apologize to you, the other reporters and Dr. Fauci."

Leroy42 wrote: »

William Barr has been brought in specifically to destroy the US justice system and to allow the Trump crime family to operate with absolute impunity. He has a long history of cover up which goes back to at least Iran-Contra. He is working shamelessly against the interests of the people of America. Obviously this is all at the behest of Trump.

We're watching a real-time coup by shameless criminals, we have been since January 20th, 2017, and the implications for where this leads the world is frightening.

Read Sarah Kendzior, especially her book "Hiding In Plain Sight". By far the most cogent voice in all this that I've read. I've been reading and listening to her for nearly two years now and she has been so on the money in everything she's described and predicted it's frightening.

Flynn getting off was as predictable as night follows day, and I strongly expect Manafort will be next. The thing about Trump, as with all dictators or aspiring dictators, is he likes to flaunt his corrupt nature to make those opposed to him lose all hope.

"The law never mattered to Bill Barr. Power did. And he was very clear about that when he auditioned for the AG job by writing an open letter promising to exonerate Trump and abuse the law to persecute Trump's rivals and investigators."

"In 2016, the American Bar Association did a study on how Trump abuses law to threaten opponents into silence through excessive litigation. The ABA then self-censored their own study out of fear of getting sued by Trump."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Read Sarah Kendzior, especially her book "Hiding In Plain Sight". By far the most cogent voice in all this that I've read. I've been reading and listening to her for nearly two years now and she has been so on the money in everything she's described and predicted it's frightening.

Flynn getting off was as predictable as night follows day, and I strongly expect Manafort will be next. The thing about Trump, as with all dictators or aspiring dictators, is he likes to flaunt his corrupt nature to make those opposed to him lose all hope.

"The law never mattered to Bill Barr. Power did. And he was very clear about that when he auditioned for the AG job by writing an open letter promising to exonerate Trump and abuse the law to persecute Trump's rivals and investigators."

"In 2016, the American Bar Association did a study on how Trump abuses law to threaten opponents into silence through excessive litigation. The ABA then self-censored their own study out of fear of getting sued by Trump."

She and writer Andrea Chalupa, the sister of Alexandra Chalupa, a former DNC staffer who was one of the early whistleblowers about the interference in the US election, host a podcast called Gaslit Nation, and have done so in the years since there was a concerted and essentially successful effort by Trump and Russia to steal the election (essentially successful in the sense that it worked, but wasn't the only cause).

It's a bit full on and, frankly, depressing, so it's difficult to listen too much of it, but it's a good show.

Gbear wrote: »
    She and writer Andrea Chalupa, the sister of Alexandra Chalupa, a former DNC staffer who was one of the early whistleblowers about the interference in the US election, host a podcast called Gaslit Nation, and have done so in the years since there was a concerted and essentially successful effort by Trump and Russia to steal the election (essentially successful in the sense that it worked, but wasn't the only cause).

It's a bit full on and, frankly, depressing, so it's difficult to listen too much of it, but it's a good show.

Literally everything about the current political situation in the US is depressing. If people are not getting depressed about it they are reading and listening to the wrong things.

In my view a lot of damage has been done by commentators who assured people that the US political and justice system would be able to stand up to Trump or "check" him. They may have been well meaning and genuinely believed this, but they were dead wrong.

The final fallback in this mindset is that the belief that he'll be voted out. Well, guess what, he's completely corrupted the Department of Justice, why is it such a leap to think he'll corrupt the election, up to and including falsifying actual votes to ensure he "wins"?

Can anybody entirely rule out that this didn't happen in 2016? I honestly don't think they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

Literally everything about the current political situation in the US is depressing. If people are not getting depressed about it they are reading and listening to the wrong things.

In my view a lot of damage has been done by commentators who assured people that the US political and justice system would be able to stand up to Trump or "check" him. They may have been well meaning and genuinely believed this, but they were dead wrong.

The final fallback in this mindset is that the belief that he'll be voted out. Well, guess what, he's completely corrupted the Department of Justice, why is it such a leap to think he'll corrupt the election, up to and including falsifying actual votes to ensure he "wins"?

Can anybody entirely rule out that this didn't happen in 2016? I honestly don't think they can.

I agree, the US is a kleptocracy and Trump will win in November no matter what.. But the Republicans have always played dirty tricks in the election. Take a look at what happened in the crucial swing state of Florida in the 2000 election, where a certain Jeb Bush was governor.. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/jun/06/uselections2000.usa

As Frank Zappa said, "Even though we call this country a democracy, its turning out to be more and more a candy coated dictatorship"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Indeed. Every time he tries to do something it's always the same "he can't do that", "no President in history has ever done that", "congress won't let him do that".

He has spent the entire term seeing how far he can go before he's stopped. And to date he hasn't been stopped and it's difficult to see where he will be stopped.

If Trump wins in November, it's curtains for America. The US is then a kleptocracy run on corruption. It's difficult to ascertain what exactly the consequences will be for the rest of the world, including Ireland.

The UK isn't far behind on the same road. Another country led by crooks being cheered on by half the country under the barely subtle disguise of racism, propaganda and trolling the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It's probably time to write off the U.S as a democracy [not even in name] with Don Trump being enabled by Senator McConnell at every stage in tearing away its foundations, certainly not something worth being respected or aspired to. The fact that the U.S Justice Dept is destroying its own law enforcement agency all by itself is a sign of the standard in public office Trump wishes it to uphold, all to ensure he gets a second term. Hopefully the tiger he's been twisting by the tail will cause his downfall in Nov.

The House Intelligence Committee investigation into Russian interference in the 2016 election released transcripts of its closed door testimony yesterday. There's mountains of stuff, most of which is completely un-redacted and previously reported uoon.

I went through Steve Bannon's testimony. Jeez, it was unreal how the Committee was stonewalled by the White House through Bannon and.his lawyers basically tying them up in knots and stonewalling at every turn. The whole Committee report that was subsequently published has got to be seen in the light of how greviously the White House tried to subvert the work of the Ctte. making an absolute farce of the process.

I'll be kept busy for weeks dipping in and out.....

https://intelligence.house.gov/news/documentsingle.aspx?DocumentID=1004

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Gbear wrote: »

Great name. Equally applicable to our neighbours across the Irish Sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

So I see this morning that the trump administration is going to ignore the CDC(centre for disease control btw) recommendations on reopening. I mean they might as well disband the CDC then as Rachel Maddow has shown that the CDC changed its longstanding way of reporting on issues like the outbreaks of disease(in this case coronavirus) between April 20th and 22nd of this year. What on April 20th were firm, clear recommendations on safety measures, the report on April 22nd had more vague language in it.

Also, it should be noted that many states that are reopening aren't anywhere close to the White Houses own standard of "14 days of decreasing cases." Maybe I'm being too nieve in assuming that science would be respected.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I see this morning that the trump administration is going to ignore the CDC(centre for disease control btw) recommendations on reopening. I mean they might as well disband the CDC then as Rachel Maddow has shown that the CDC changed its longstanding way of reporting on issues like the outbreaks of disease(in this case coronavirus) between April 20th and 22nd of this year. What on April 20th were firm, clear recommendations on safety measures, the report on April 22nd had more vague language in it.

Also, it should be noted that many states that are reopening aren't anywhere close to the White Houses own standard of "14 days of decreasing cases." Maybe I'm being too nieve in assuming that science would be respected.

If the final plan of Stephen Miller is to isolate the USA from the rest of the world, then this early reopening of the states will surely ensure it. Early reopening and lack of testing ensures that secondary and tertiary waves of the disease will incur, making the states a hotbed for the disease, thus keeping all other nation's borders closed to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Not sure if it has been discussed but at a time when postal voting could be instrumental is deciding the next President, Trump has appointed a large doner of his with no USPS experience as postmaster general. A more transparent move you couldn't imagine.

“For vote by mail, this seems like putting a fox in charge of the hen house,” William Kristol

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/us/politics/postmaster-general-louis-dejoy.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement