Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

No more one-liners please.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Not sure if it has been discussed but at a time when postal voting could be instrumental is deciding the next President, Trump has appointed a large doner of his with no USPS experience as postmaster general. A more transparent move you couldn't imagine.

“For vote by mail, this seems like putting a fox in charge of the hen house,” William Kristol

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/us/politics/postmaster-general-louis-dejoy.html

And even with this, it appears that the postal voting process is already in a bit of a mess, if the Ohio primaries are anything to go by:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/what-went-down-in-ohios-primary/

If the covid problems persist through November, it really does appear to be playing in to Rep hands as it looks like itll massively impact turn-out numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

“For vote by mail, this seems like putting a fox in charge of the hen house,” William Kristol
    The Republicans don't want postal voting because it gives poor people the opportunity to vote. Maximum voter suppression is their goal.
    Conservative administrations have tried to tilt the electoral process against left-leaning social groups such as the young, the transient and recent immigrants. Registering to vote and voting itself have been made more difficult, with more documents required, despite little evidence of electoral fraud.

Conservative parties retain their legendary will to win, but winning seems a greater and greater strain, and is being achieved by less and less inspiring means. “What does it say about us as Conservatives,” asks Cooper, “if our only hope for the next generation of voters is that they don’t vote?”

Not sure if it has been discussed but at a time when postal voting could be instrumental is deciding the next President, Trump has appointed a large doner of his with no USPS experience as postmaster general. A more transparent move you couldn't imagine.

A double-win for Trump. Not only will he try to damage mail-in voting, but it also gives him an opportunity to target his enemy Jeff Bezos (owner of The Washington Post), because Trump believes that the USPS is subsidising Amazon by not charging them enough for their parcel deliveries.

The first effect of this I expect to see is prices on parcel deliveries being hiked - maybe specifically for Amazon, or maybe in general. And of course, Bezos will pass that on to his customers making prices uncompetitive and damaging Amazon.

Or, Bezos will move his delivery business to the private sector, thus damaging the USPS even more. Still a win in Trump's book.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

serfboard wrote: »
    A double-win for Trump. Not only will he try to damage mail-in voting, but it also gives him an opportunity to target his enemy Jeff Bezos (owner of The Washington Post), because Trump believes that the USPS is subsidising Amazon by not charging them enough for their parcel deliveries.

The first effect of this I expect to see is prices on parcel deliveries being hiked - maybe specifically for Amazon, or maybe in general. And of course, Bezos will pass that on to his customers making prices uncompetitive and damaging Amazon.

Or, Bezos will move his delivery business to the private sector, thus damaging the USPS even more. Still a win in Trump's book.

Would this be legal though? Can you target one specific company and charge them more for parcel delivery? It's not like Bezos doesn't have the money to take that to court. Could be interesting if Trump tries it though.

• Advertisement

The first effect of this I expect to see is prices on parcel deliveries being hiked - maybe specifically for Amazon, or maybe in general.
    Would this be legal though? Can you target one specific company and charge them more for parcel delivery? It's not like Bezos doesn't have the money to take that to court. Could be interesting if Trump tries it though.
    Yeah, I was conscious of that when writing it. You could do it in all sorts of ways that target Amazon indirectly - like say that, due to the extra work involved, charges will go up for any companies that post a million items a week (or whatever the number is). Sort of like a reverse volume discount.

So this way, you're not obviously targetting Amazon, even though you obviously are!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Would this be legal though? .
    And? It's been firmly established that the law does not matter in the US any more. The senators who acquitted Trump in the Ukraine scandal even outright admitted as much, which is why he's cranked it up to 11 ever since.

This has far less to do with amazon though, and far more to do with November.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

A member of mike Pence staff has tested positive for coronavirus. I mean given that there at least in the briefings seem to be any social distancing then how many others in the White House have it but are asymptotic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So I see this morning that the trump administration is going to ignore the CDC(centre for disease control btw) recommendations on reopening. I mean they might as well disband the CDC then as Rachel Maddow has shown that the CDC changed its longstanding way of reporting on issues like the outbreaks of disease(in this case coronavirus) between April 20th and 22nd of this year. What on April 20th were firm, clear recommendations on safety measures, the report on April 22nd had more vague language in it.

Also, it should be noted that many states that are reopening aren't anywhere close to the White Houses own standard of "14 days of decreasing cases." Maybe I'm being too nieve in assuming that science would be respected.

Science doesn't have much place in a fundamentalist extremist society the likes of which tends to run the rule in the States.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

I'd be curious to know what the enabling "I don't like Trump but he's really no different than Obama" gobsh*tes who clearly were paying zero attention and only had a vain interest in playing the "enlightened centrist" in a time of polarisation have to say about the last few months in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

A member of mike Pence staff has tested positive for coronavirus. I mean given that there at least in the briefings seem to be any social distancing then how many others in the White House have it but are asymptotic ?

Is it not mike pence himself?
    Not to sound cruel but I don’t feel sorry for this arrogant man if it is him . He’s nearly a lose cannon like his boss Donald , there well met .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

It's Stephen Miller's wife Katie, who is also Pences press secretary. Both of them would be around the White House a lot.

20Cent wrote: »
    It's Stephen Miller's wife Katie, who is also Pences press secretary. Both of them would be around the White House a lot.

Stephen miller is married ?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Stephen miller is married ?

Yep, there's hope for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

20Cent wrote: »

And even if Karen is not in touch with Don much, you betcha Stephen is... And if Karen is + for Covid, what's the chances Stephen isn't?

I'd say Donnie is ****ting himself about now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    And even if Karen is not in touch with Don much, you betcha Stephen is... And if Karen is + for Covid, what's the chances Stephen isn't?

I'd say Donnie is ****ting himself about now!!!

When the enemy is one you cant see, dismiss or hector into silence, who recognizes no shut doors, he'd be right to be worried. If there's a change in White House dress standards now due to admitted necessity [Don, Mike & Admin Secretaries wearing masks] I wonder how they will explain it to those who believe what Don has been feeding them and think the Covid-19 pandemic is a scam, as one woman at a "freedom" protest stated on U.S TV two days ago?

The Republicans don't want postal voting because it gives poor people the opportunity to vote. Maximum voter suppression is their goal.

I see Gov Newsom in California has raised the stakes somewhat. He signed an Executive Order that insists on postal voting being available to everyone for November. It won't make much of a difference in CA, but it might do in Michigan or Ohio if they followed suit. I don't see any chance of getting it into place in places like Alabama, Georgia Florida or Texas though. ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Trump's update on Katie:
    https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1258838201818476544

Summary: She tested positive out of the blue. Therefore tests aren't great.

Sigh.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Trump's update on Katie:

Sigh.

Ignorance would be bliss, if presidential musing live on air were seen as a clear and present danger to the U.S.A.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Trump's update on Katie:

Sigh.

Jeez. . Such ignorance on viral infections and how they propagate!

And this buffoon believes he knows more than the CDC in terms of opening stuff up?

• Advertisement

Soooo, it's being reported that Ivanka's PA has tested + for Covid-19....

Looks like The Don and the rest of his Cowboys need to tighten up the wagon circle....!!

Oh, and By The Way Donnie, dick-waving about the greatness and speed of the Abbott test that You and Your Kleptocratic parasites have sucked into your bubble (Aaaand are using almost daily) is not a good look when the rest of the country can't even get a single test, and those that do must wait days for a result..

But of course, because You and Your parasitic cluster ARE the disease, it is highly unlikely you will be infected BY the disease..

And we need to see all this in the context of You being a 'War-Time' President who is 'fighting' an enemy that is (your words) a “very brilliant enemy”, and a “genius”. FFS this is a yoke that doesn't even have DNA, yet you have characterised Covid-19 as a 'germ is so brilliant antibiotics can’t keep up with it’... No wonder they can't keep up Donnie... It's a ****ing Virus... Antibiotics work on bacteria... Not on ****ing Viruses...

Indeed, the threat of Covid being infected BY You will most likely keep it and it's horde of attackers away FROM you... Given that you AND Your Kleptocracy ARE the virus that has infected the entire American Continent, and is dangerously close to destroying Europe's health (particularly UK under BoJo), You and Your pathetic cohort will probably emerge from the slime You have created unscathed.

P.S. Any capitalisation I used in the above message is used in deference to the Office that You currently hold a VERY short term lease on, and NOT because You merit it as a person.. Just so You know!

So trump thinks that all of a sudden the VPs press secretary tested positive ? I think Donald trump doesn't understand how an incumbation period works. And it doesn't mean there's an issue with testing, which is why just because he and the VP tested negative doesn't mean they won't test positive at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

aloyisious wrote: »
    When the enemy is one you cant see, dismiss or hector into silence, who recognizes no shut doors, he'd be right to be worried. If there's a change in White House dress standards now due to admitted necessity [Don, Mike & Admin Secretaries wearing masks] I wonder how they will explain it to those who believe what Don has been feeding them and think the Covid-19 pandemic is a scam, as one woman at a "freedom" protest stated on U.S TV two days ago?

I doubt it. Yesterday atva VE event, where attendees were between 96 and 100 years old met POTUS, none of the WH wore masks.

When asked by the press if that wasn't a worry, Kayleigh responded, not with reassurance or compassion, but by saying that the attendees had put country before self and each attendee had made the decision to attend themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

With the recent infections in the secret service (11 positive cases at latest count) on top of Stephen Miller's wife (his actual wife, not Pazuzu). There are quite a few similarities now with 'The Masque of the Red Death' by Edgar Allen Poe.
    I'm sure the recent paranoia isn't helping the omnishambles that is this administration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Masque_of_the_Red_Death?wprov=sfla1

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The United States has scaled back its role on the world stage, taken actions that are undermining efforts to battle the coronavirus pandemic and left the international community without a traditional global leader, according to experts, diplomats and analysts. (CNN)

I think hubris might be the word to apply here. You know lads, if you saw yourselves maybe as an equal on the world stage rather than either running the show or sulking, you might begin to garner a bit more respect. You do know that respect is now gone, and there was never as much as you thought there was.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Jesus that man is such a fool.

"something happened between her testing negative and then all of a sudden testing positive"..

Eh... Yeah... She caught the virus!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Jesus that man is such a fool.

"something happened between her testing negative and then all of a sudden testing positive"..

Eh... Yeah... She caught the virus!

Presumably he thinks people are born with it

Looking at the video excerpt from yesterday where Don's answering questions from the floor about the vaccine for Covid-19, he replied "I would be a test if asked, the virus is going to go away without a vaccine, like other things it will die and go away, like other flu's, there might be flare-ups next year". If he thinks the virus will just go away and die off conveniently for the election and come back again in the new year, then it might explain his optimism about winning the election.

It seems the remarks were made AFTER a White House Republican lawmakers event where he said it might ultimately mean 95,000 or more deaths from the virus. It's also mentioned that he "suggested" 100,000 could lose their lives before the outbreak is defeated. I don't know how he reconciles his "defeated virus" bit with "the virus is going to die off without a vaccine" in his head, apart from the magical "they say" people when asked where he got his information in his answers from.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

salmocab wrote: »
    Presumably he thinks people are born with it

Oh god he is gonna start mixing up Corona virus and Maybelline now, isnt he!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

You would think it would be hard to simultaneously play down the importance of testing while also conducting almost daily tests in the administration, you would think.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement