Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭woohoo!!!

It's pretty clear that the current Ukraine regime, overwhelmingly elected on an anti corruption platform are not going to take the word of two former corrupt prosecutor general's and Trumps gimp, Rudy, and will never announce a sham investigation. In fact, Trumps sham to force them to announce investigation of the Bidens, demonstrates that under this president, the US are not to be trusted. Best thing is to ignore the plank. US diplomats and embassies completely hamstrung.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,065 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

pixelburp wrote: »
    Let's get back to the important things; that being, that that US President is a deeply unintelligent - or at least, unintelligible - individual:

Regarding Elon Musk; "He does good at rockets"

Regarding ... uh, I don't quite know. Copyright protectionism? "You know, we have to protect Thomas Edison, and we have to protect all of these people that came up with originally the light bulb, and the wheel and all of these things"

The wheel.

The wheel.

This really is Stupid Watergate.

"He has to, because we help him he has to help us."

DJT loves a quid pro quo.

Does he know that Tesla have a plant in CHINA?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Wait, wasn't I reading on here today that the "GOP's strategy has been to attack people's character and avoid talking about the facts" and yet here's that very tactic being deployed against them? Hhhmmm.

As for Devin Nunes, he took a call and passed it on to his secretary, is what I believe he has said after checking call records. He has continued to deny having the intricate call about very specific issues) which Parnas claims to have had with him.

It might be worth knowing exactly how long Nunes was on the phone to Parnas before he passed the call to his secretary. Most times when some-one rings a Public Rep like Nunes, there's a cut-out [like a secretary] to prevent nuisances wasting the bosses time. Maybe its worth while finding out how Parnas got through to Nunes first [like maybe a direct line] before Nunes transferred Parnas on to his secretary. Just thinking about it is all. Devin does have a history of getting into unusual conversations with people which he cant explain, like on the White House lawn.

Re the GOP not denying that the Russians interfered with the 2015 US presidential elections, that's interesting when sections of the GOP siding with Don are still pushing the narrative that Ukraine was behind the interference and was trying to blame Russia for it. It'd be nice if the GOP as a party [maybe via Mitch McConnell] made it clear about who was behind the interference in the election.

In a way it's nice that the GOP is split on the issue, in so far as one section of the GOP now recognizes that the Russians [your confirmation of that] were guilty of the interference in the 2015 election and accept that to be a fact, unlike the other "in denial" GOP section. An important part of this is to find out who is still in the "in denial" GOP party faction and whether they have the blessing of Don to continue spreading fake news instead of admitting that mother Russia was behind the lying fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Now this I am very interested in, is this common or is this something out of the ordinary?

Is that not market manipulation like? Artificially keeping the bubble going and bringing more and more noise traders in to the market before the crash?

I don't know.
    It's only something I've become interested in recently.

Here is a good piece on what's happening.

"The Biggest Stock Market "Melt Up" In US History Has Pushed Prices To The Most Overvalued Ever"

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/biggest-stock-market-melt-us-history-has-pushed-prices-moat-overvalued-ever

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I don't know.

"The Biggest Stock Market "Melt Up" In US History Has Pushed Prices To The Most Overvalued Ever"

https://www.zerohedge.com/markets/biggest-stock-market-melt-us-history-has-pushed-prices-moat-overvalued-ever

Interesting read, would be interested in what other would have to say about this. Any economists on here?

• Advertisement

kowloon wrote: »
    Interesting read, would be interested in what other would have to say about this. Any economists on here?

They are controlling the stock market and creating a bubble.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

I don't know.

Generally governments are big into market manipulation with the idea of not having crashes. Zerohedge tends to be pretty negative on the economy at all times. It does mean it will be negative at nearly all times. Doesn't mean it is wrong here but I would have a pinch of salt with it.

(They also tend to be very right wing but that doesn't seem relevant to this article).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,483 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Christy42 wrote: »
    Generally governments are big into market manipulation with the idea of not having crashes. Zerohedge tends to be pretty negative on the economy at all times. It does mean it will be negative at nearly all times. Doesn't mean it is wrong here but I would have a pinch of salt with it.

(They also tend to be very right wing but that doesn't seem relevant to this article).

Zerohedge isn't to be trusted. Registered in Bulgaria by the son of the ex-Soviet era Bulgarian finance minister. Seems pretty dodgy.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/zero-hedge/

Igotadose wrote: »
    Zerohedge isn't to be trusted. Registered in Bulgaria by the son of the ex-Soviet era Bulgarian finance minister. Seems pretty dodgy.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/zero-hedge/

But the FED is pumping billions into the stock market.
    That’s fact.
    Maybe someone can explain the reasons why?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,616 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It is actually quite impressive how Trump has managed the narrative that he has somehow, magically it would seem, driven the economy.

You hear lots about the stock market, lots about jobs, unemployments rates etc. All good. But it is not being generated out of pure growth, but paid for out of the US treasury, by way of the massive tax cuts and the feds printing money.

But overall there is very little mentioned about that. The latest figures are reported as if happening without all the above, and there are never questions about what happened to the promised 5%+ growth that was supposed to pay for the tax cuts. There is very little discussion about how Trump has basically mortgaged the US long term for short term gain.

Now, there is an argument that it is the right approach, but that argument isn't being had. There is no discussion about the downsides to this approach, only the upside.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

But the FED is pumping billions into the stock market.
    That’s fact.
    Maybe someone can explain the reasons why?

They feel the economy will collapse if they don't. That is why the fed does anything. The more drastic the more worried they are about it.

The US cut taxes like crazy for rich people and it didn't lead to the needed growth so the fed has to encourage borrowing by pumping in money. The US has also not done well out of the trade war and has needed to pour in billions of social welfare to keep farms afloat.

Zerohedge as a rule are against this sort of thing so will always be negative but it is generally accepted.

However that does not mean they are wrong about the outcome. QE is used when the fed is worried. If it doesn't work we may end up with a crash and the US civil service has been cut to ribbons the last few years. The US will be lacking in leadership and experience to deal with the issues.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/11/07/the-feds-monetary-juice-has-tied-directly-to-the-rise-in-stocks.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

We've warned people about getting personal countless times and yet we're still seeing it. Stay on the topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,176 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

For those coming late to this thread:

The Republican party no longer exits, it is now Trump surrounded by a lot of old, white men, terrified of being mocked on Twitter, utterly bullied into submission.

The constitution is no longer upheld and is basically worthless, it certainly wont be enforced in the Senate.

Evidence, witnesses, military reputations are worthless.

There are no advisors left outside of Fox News.

Trump's 'America First' policy is basically 'America Isolated'. Old alliances with allies are belittled while dictators are fawned upon.

This allows Russia and China to grow in influence, the new Superpowers are rising in the East faster than ever.

Foreign policy does not exist, things are defined by 'Who is paying us to do X, Y, Z."

The deficit he swore would be eliminated is running rampant, to cover his gambling spree on failed tariffs.

There is plenty more, but it is mid tweet stuff like gutting environmental law, cutting school food programs, anything that has an Obama footprint, etc.

Oh, and we are on the edge of dictatorship.

But at least he tells it like it is, hey Trump supporters?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

The Trump administration on Thursday finalized a rule to strip away environmental protections for streams, wetlands and groundwater, handing a victory to farmers, fossil fuel producers and real estate developers who said Obama-era rules had shackled them with onerous and unnecessary burdens.

The new water rule for the first time in decades allow landowners and property developers to dump pollutants such as pesticides and fertilizers directly into hundreds of thousands of waterways, and to destroy or fill in wetlands for construction projects.
    Sticking it to Obama by poisoning his own country icon14.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

For those coming late to this thread:

The Republican party no longer exits, it is now Trump surrounded by a lot of old, white men, terrified of being mocked on Twitter, utterly bullied into submission.

Minor point of order, but I think it's more that there are Republicans who don't want to lose the Trump Cult/Base in their respective constituencies. Be it Trump fanaticism, or simply the years of cultivation of the "Democrats want to take your guns and kill your babies" hyper partisanship, the reality is that if Republicans side with the impeachment, they might as well kiss re-election goodbye. 538 still shows support for impeachment hovering around at 9% for Republicans.

Rightly or wrongly, they can't be seen to side with The Enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

pixelburp wrote: »
    Minor point of order, but I think it's more that there are Republicans who don't want to lose the Trump Cult/Base in their respective constituencies. Be it Trump fanaticism, or simply the years of cultivation of the "Democrats want to take your guns and kill your babies" hyper partisanship, the reality is that if Republicans side with the impeachment, they might as well kiss re-election goodbye. 538 still shows support for impeachment hovering around at 9% for Republicans.

Rightly or wrongly, they can't be seen to side with The Enemy.

Seen something on the twitter machine where they interviewed a GOP senator and he said that now he thinks Trump did actually do something wrong, but since there is an election in 8 months time let the public decide should he go:mad::mad:

I think this is going to be their line going forward because you cannot defend him but just say why don't we wait for the election. Very frustrating

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,461 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Sticking it to Obama by poisoning his own country icon14.png

What's the link on that, 'cos that's shocking. Not surprising, but the contempt the administration has for fast-tracking another Flint is obscene at this point. I'm sure the disciples of the free market might cheer but anyone with an ounce of environmental concern - or knowledge of basic precedent of civilisation - can see where this will lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,453 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

They are controlling the stock market and creating a bubble.

I get that much, but are there any other views on it? Has the Fed any other options or is this just damage control? I gather Trump has been very critical of them, is it because of his lack of control or is he trying to make a scapegoat for poor decision making on his part?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,345 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

kowloon wrote: »
    I get that much, but are there any other views on it? Has the Fed any other options or is this just damage control? I gather Trump has been very critical of them, is it because of his lack of control or is he trying to make a scapegoat for poor decision making on his part?

Trump has been arguing for the Fed to drop it's rates greatly (it did a meagre drop in september https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/sep/18/federal-reserve-interest-rates-trump-jerome-powell)

He wants a greater drop as it will mean he's to pay less on the interest that he personally owes, any other motivation is besides that doesn't concern him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Trump caught on tape demanding ambassador Yovanocith be fired.....recorded by Igor at a dinner with Lev !!! But Trump doesn’t know these guys ???
    This is not good for Trump.... it’s going to add fuel for the demand if wittiness to testify at the impeachment trial....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Where's the video?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Trump was heard in the last couple of days to make rambling and incoherent reference to the US having the cleanest water and the cleanest air. References that are up there with references to Freedom, Justice, Constitutional Rights and Finest Government. Delusional nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Trump caught on tape demanding ambassador Yovanocith be fired.....recorded by Igor at a dinner with Lev !!! But Trump doesn’t know these guys ???
    This is not good for Trump.... it’s going to add fuel for the demand if wittiness to testify at the impeachment trial....

That recording could be taken to imply he is doing a lot more than just firing her.

"Take her out" has implications that even locker room talk can't excuse ;)

He may aswell have said won't someone rid me of this meddlesome priest!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,742 ✭✭✭✭banie01

If Trump didn't know Parnas, as he claimed, then what sort of checks is Trump doing before talking about internal security matters to people? Even if one continues to refuse to believe that Trump did anything wrong in terms of Biden etc, this should send fera up the spine of every American.

They have a POTUS that is, according to him, talking out secretive and sensitive matters to any old Joe Soap he happens to be taking photos with (I don't believe he didn't know him, just using the outcome of his own stance on it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Leroy42 wrote: »
    They have a POTUS that is, according to him, talking out secretive and sensitive matters to any old Joe Soap he happens to be taking photos with
    I'd say if you spent a weekend in Mar-a-Lago you'd hear all sorts of interesting stuff ...

The Trump caught on tape saying get rid of her [Yovanovic] is on MSN under a The Independent by-line. The news outlet says the recording appears to include the president saying: "Get her out tomorrow. I don't care. Get her out tomorrow. Take her out. OK? Do it."

ABC says the recording was captured by Mr Fruman during a meeting on 30 April 2018 at the Trump International Hotel in Washington DC. The network reports that a copy of the recording is in the custody of federal prosecutors in New York. On the recording, Mr Trump is speaking at a small gathering that also included Lev Parnas and Igor Fruman.

I assume that the NYC Federal Prosecutors are answerable to the people running the DOJ in Washington. The "take her out" quote is rather unfortunate.

Edit: For certitude, I re-ran the ABC story on MSN. The network claims to have a copy of the tape concerned. That would mean there are at least two copies, one with the Feds. Given the ongoing trial, it's almost like death by a thousand cuts for Don and hardly coincidental, given the reported date of the meeting at the Trump venue.

Its nothing like death by a thousand cuts.

This is all still linked to the one episode. The problem is that the lie, sorry defence, that Trump puts forward is being shown up for what it is.

Trump has zero credibility and anyone that relies on anything he says is either deeply dishonest or a fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

A new level of defend the indefensible.

Trump caught on tape saying the stuff he said he didn't say to people he said he never really met.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Trump has zero credibility and anyone that relies on anything he says is either deeply dishonest or a fool.

They'll be all over it in denial, saying its proof he protected Ambassador Yovanovich.

From Fox News yesterday: Asked about the report, Trump told "The Ingraham Angle's" Raymond Arroyo that he was not relying on Parnas to get rid of Yovanovitch while acknowledging: "I am not a fan of that ambassador."

“I don’t think the president made any secrets that he had concerns about the ambassador to Ukraine and wanted her replaced,” Pence told reporters. “But the tape that has been released today would only confirm what people already know -- the president had concerns and made a decision.”

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement