Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,488 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

pixelburp wrote: »
    Sure, that's fair but not like we haven't seen a plethora of incidents - including those involving members of the admin, as seen with Comey - turned into accusations of Democrat interference or attempted coups. As you say, it won't happen if his cabinet are the ones pulling the trigger, but in this very hypothetical scenario? I'd guarantee Fox & Trump would rebrand this as a Deep State and / or Democrat coup.
    Some cabinet officials are 'acting.' They can't vote on the 25th. #IMPOTUS figured this out some time ago and began cackling about how he loves Acting cabinet officers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Igotadose wrote: »
    Some cabinet officials are 'acting.' They can't vote on the 25th. #IMPOTUS figured this out some time ago and began cackling about how he loves Acting cabinet officers.

As I understand it, the cabinet are all nominated by the president and can come from anywhere at all. Do any of them hold an elected office? I don't believe so. They are an array of flunkies and sycophants that have been parachuted in, and many are only, as you point out, "acting" secretaries. Is there even a quorum of actual cabinet members that could trigger a 25th amendment ejection of Trump from office? There's maybe 15 secretaries and 2/3rds need to vote to kick him out. Are there more than 5 "acting" secretaries? Could it be mathematically impossible to boot him out?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

He is having a complete metldown on twitter at the moment. Tonnes of tweets in the last half hour. Some of the stuff he is posting is insane:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1260158343756341249

Like this gem, like WT actual F.

Then another about how it was right for him to walk away from journalists questions.

Really think he is going to let the pressure get to him in the next few weeks and do something really stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    He is having a complete metldown on twitter at the moment. Tonnes of tweets in the last half hour. Some of the stuff he is posting is insane:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1260158343756341249

Like this gem, like WT actual F.

Then another about how it was right for him to walk away from journalists questions.

Really think he is going to let the pressure get to him in the next few weeks and do something really stupid.

He's trying to cause a distraction.
    He's now accused a tv host of murder.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

fullstop wrote: »
    Think Manic Moran said they need to shoot badgers or some such. What better way to get rid of mice in a subway store than firing a rocket launcher at them in fairness.
    Don't know if it's been on this thread, but the rocket launcher is basically an empty steel tube. It's either been used or was never live in the first place, and can't be reloaded.

Between this and the wooden gun, lots of pro-gun people are claiming that these guys are making a statement and not being threatening.

Realistically it's the equivalent of putting a huge spoiler and a loud exhaust on a 1 litre Nissan Micra. It's a statement of ego, not politics. They want to give off the impression that they're hard men, that they're initimidating and dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,710 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1260161295019630592

The man is clearly not well.

He seems to be lashing out because he is losing. It's twisted stuff.

If any other "celebrity" or politician said this stuff on Twitter their account would be closed and they'd probably be sued.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

If any other "celebrity" or politician said this stuff on Twitter their account would be closed and they'd probably be sued.

He's been dancing around that claim about Joe Scarborough for a while , but think this is the 1st time he's actually accused him of murder , which is frankly sick.

For info - The specific case was that a staffer working for Scarborough had a heart-attack while working late in the office and hit their head when they collapsed and sadly died from the resulting injury.They were found the next morning by people coming to the office.

The Post-mortem showed that they had an undiagnosed heart defect and confirmed the cause of death etc.

Initially when they were found dead on the floor with a head injury there was some speculation of foul play , but that stopped once the PM was done.

Imagine being the family of that person getting this bull**** dragged up just so Trump can deflect attention away from his abject failures. No different to the family of Seth Rich I guess.

Disgusting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    He's been dancing around that claim about Joe Scarborough for a while , but think this is the 1st time he's actually accused him of murder , which is frankly sick.

For info - The specific case was that a staffer working for Scarborough had a heart-attack while working late in the office and hit their head when they collapsed and sadly died from the resulting injury.They were found the next morning by people coming to the office.

The Post-mortem showed that they had an undiagnosed heart defect and confirmed the cause of death etc.

Initially when they were found dead on the floor with a head injury there was some speculation of foul play , but that stopped once the PM was done.

Imagine being the family of that person getting this bull**** dragged up just so Trump can deflect attention away from his abject failures. No different to the family of Seth Rich I guess.

Disgusting.

Wow, when you explain the details of this, it truly is disgusting behaviour by a grown adult, never mind the sitting President. I suppose if you're an apologist the kneejerk reaction here is to simply sniff that he's merely joking?

Of course, it also bares repeating that as of this post, 83.7% of Republicans approve of Trump's handling of the CoVid crisis:

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/coronavirus-polls/?ex_cid=rrpromo

So while the Scarborough tweets are utter repugnance writ large, the polls indicate it wouldn't move the needle of Republican voters one iota. America and its 2 party, sports team politics is a pox

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Disgusting.

That's absolutely appalling. Twitter should be suspending his account, there's absolutely no way he should be allowed to get away with those accusations on social media.

Unfortunately, it's now a case that people have been numbed to this man's stupidity. It's just another day in the clown show that is Donald Trump's existence. Nobody should ever become immune to the damage that this man is doing to his office.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Disgusting.

And also to note on the "Why did he leave Congress so quietly and quickly" comment.

Scarborough had announced his plans to retire/resign several weeks before the tragic accident occurred.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    That's absolutely appalling. Twitter should be suspending his account, there's absolutely no way he should be allowed to get away with those accusations on social media.

Unfortunately, it's now a case that people have been numbed to this man's stupidity. It's just another day in the clown show that is Donald Trump's existence. Nobody should ever become immune to the damage that this man is doing to his office.

The only way to get Twitter to suspend his account would be for everyone else to stop using Twitter in protest. I they did previously say that they would have suspended him if it weren't for the fact he was president so they had a duty to provide him with a mouthpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

robinph wrote: »
    The only way to get Twitter to suspend his account would be for everyone else to stop using Twitter in protest. I they did previously say that they would have suspended him if it weren't for the fact he was president so they had a duty to provide him with a mouthpiece.

I think they've already said as much. They won't suspend the account of the President of the United States unless he really, really, reeallllly breaks a major rule. And even then.... they might not.

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2019/worldleaders2019.html
    We want to make it clear today that the accounts of world leaders are not above our policies entirely. The below areas will result in enforcement action for any account on our service (without consideration of the potential public interest value in allowing the Tweet to remain visible behind a notice):

Promotion of terrorism;
    Clear and direct threats of violence against an individual (context matters: as noted above, direct interactions with fellow public figures and/or commentary on political and foreign policy issues would likely not result in enforcement);
    Posting private information, such as a home address or non-public personal phone number;
    Posting or sharing intimate photos or videos of someone that were produced or distributed without their consent;
    Engaging in behaviors relating to child sexual exploitation; and
    Encouraging or promoting self-harm.

In other cases involving a world leader, we will err on the side of leaving the content up if there is a clear public interest in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

They are on a break in the Supreme Court at the minute, judges seem to be grasping for a standard they can lean on beyond Trump also. If he doesn't find some kind of compromise or other accommodation and he goes on to lose he won't be thanked by his successors, course, he won't be thanked for much anyway I suppose.

Some ridiculous arguments made (for the setting) but another possible outcome that I hadn't considered at the end of this could be for them to kick it back to the lower courts with a stricter set of standards applied to them.

Still, find it very hard to see anything but a Trump loss here if he doesn't give in first.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

They are on a break in the Supreme Court at the minute, judges seem to be grasping for a standard they can lean on beyond Trump also. If he doesn't find some kind of compromise or other accommodation and he goes on to lose he won't be thanked by his successors, course, he won't be thanked for much anyway I suppose.

Some ridiculous arguments made (for the setting) but another possible outcome that I hadn't considered at the end of this could be for them to kick it back to the lower courts with a stricter set of standards applied to them.

Still, find it very hard to see anything but a Trump loss here if he doesn't give in first.

Just on this topic , procedural question - What's the expected timeline on a decision here?

We have the oral hearings today , are there other stages and when might you reasonably expect the Supreme court to give their response?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Igotadose wrote: »

Won't vote you mean. If they are members of the cabinet they are officers of the government.

Also, I saw the carry on last night from trump with the reporter. I mean it's a pattern in general when he gets stuck with a question he can't answer. He's done it several times with both male and female reporters but it seems more pointed with woman reporters and governors when he called the governor of Michigan "that woman in Michigan."

Just on this topic , procedural question - What's the expected timeline on a decision here?

We have the oral hearings today , are there other stages and when might you reasonably expect the Supreme court to give their response?

The truth is I honestly don't know. I do know that the oral arguments themselves are not exactly irrelevant but they are certainly not going to carry much weight in the decision. The justices will be reviewing the evidence they already have before them from the lower courts, in this case 3 court and 3 appeal court judges already have rulings so there is plenty of evidence to go off already.

They are actually only allocated about 30 minutes each to make their oral arguments I think but this does get dragged out because of the questioning that will occur intermittently.

Not long though is my best guess, I don't think they can rule in favour of Trump. I just don't see how they can do it looking beyond his presidency. Trumps team right now is not only trying to make the argument that not only is Trump immune to this, but third parties also. The documents in question are not in Trumps possession and some of them in all likelihood he has never seen and likely never even knew existed. They are internal banking documents.

It is very, very hard for me to imagine a way they court can rule in Trumps favour in this one. They may try to kick it back down under new standards, I know they won't want to give either side a "big win" here since there are more cases to be considered by them this term but it is just unfathomable for me to try to frame an opinion where they come down contra to previous opinions and rule in Trumps favour.

The junior member of the court is a real pain to even listen to tbh, himself and Thomas grate on me big time.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭valoren

He is a malignant narcissist and so long as such personality disordered people can provoke chaos and confusion then everybody will be continuously distracted and are less likely to zero in on specifics or be able to take stock. That's the reasoning behind the furious disconnected Twitter posts.

What has him so flustered? My guess is that it's the big decision expected from the Supreme Court today. If it recommends that his tax returns not be released then they will have gone against six court decisions relating to their release (ruling against him and ruling against his appeals). That would set a worrying precedent for the SC and the likelihood (hopefully) is that it won’t be set today. So Trump faces the ignominious prospect of having his finances forensically examined. The event horizon for his political career could well be evidence of tax evasion or financial shenanigans (money laundering) with foreign entities. If Trump is shown to be in the pocket of foreign entities then is he not a politically exposed person? i.e. considering his son said their organisation is awash with Russian money then it follows that Trump is potentially in a position where he is corruptible and exposed to bribery from such entities using their mutual financial connections for power and influence. No wonder he seems to be falling asunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think I read earlier that the actual SC ruling likely won't be made until possibly the middle of the summer, not today. Can't remember where I read it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Penn wrote: »
    I think I read earlier that the actual SC ruling likely won't be made until possibly the middle of the summer, not today. Can't remember where I read it though.

Whatever the date, and regardless of the actual decision, the desired outcome will have been achieved. No way the actual documents wil get naded over and reviewed in time for the election and as such all of this is simply a delaying tactic.

Trump only needs to get passed November 3rd and he is home free. If he can win that election that it really doesn't matter. It only matters is the release of these documents were to cost him the election. Even if he was to lose, without the documents being published, he will be pretty certain that nothing will ever came of them, people will just want to move on.

• Advertisement

I know that this session of the courts ends sometime in early July , but i don't think they wait until the of the session to give a ruling , but maybe they will.

The timing of this is all very important.. If the Court could goes against Trump, the Accountants/Banks could faff about for a few weeks/months "collating" the information or something. so getting the ruling now vs. July or whatever could make a huge difference.

So ,if he loses, will whatever he's so desperate to hide get out into the public domain in time to influence the election?

A SC reporter has said they may give all decisions in the 3 cases at the same time so that would make it an early July timeline.

Justices will have private conference calls, have provisional votes and probably hold off and announce all decisions together.

"there will be a provisional vote followed by an exchange of draft majority and dissenting opinions."

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Whatever the date, and regardless of the actual decision, the desired outcome will have been achieved. No way the actual documents wil get naded over and reviewed in time for the election and as such all of this is simply a delaying tactic.

Trump only needs to get passed November 3rd and he is home free. If he can win that election that it really doesn't matter. It only matters is the release of these documents were to cost him the election. Even if he was to lose, without the documents being published, he will be pretty certain that nothing will ever came of them, people will just want to move on.
    A SC reporter has said they may give all decisions in the 3 cases at the same time so that would make it an early July timeline.

So Leroy could be right - Decision in July , Paperwork slow walked out of the banks/accountants so it doesn't get to the House/AG until early September maybe leaving only 6 or 8 weeks for them to process and/or release the information.

So at best the bad news might just squeeze in as the October surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭Cody montana

So Leroy could be right - Decision in July , Paperwork slow walked out of the banks/accountants so it doesn't get to the House/AG until early September maybe leaving only 6 or 8 weeks for them to process and/or release the information.

So at best the bad news might just squeeze in as the October surprise...

What’s he hiding?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I think they've already said as much. They won't suspend the account of the President of the United States unless he really, really, reeallllly breaks a major rule. And even then.... they might not.

https://blog.twitter.com/en_us/topics/company/2019/worldleaders2019.html

Twitter changed its account rules today by including making a false statement about Covid-19 on twitter can result in, at worst, loss of your account. It would, in theory, mean that Don's tweets inclusive of mention of Covid-19 would be subject to scrutiny if a complaint were made of his tweets content.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I'm not sure if it's the SDNY DA's [Cyrus Vance Jnr] office involved in the S.C case seeking access to the returns Don gave to the NY branch of Deutsche Bank [subpoenaed by the DA - with D/B prepared to hand the documents over] as part of his loans deals with it, or if its the NY county DA.s office. If the SC were to rule that it was OK for the bank to hand the returns over to SDNY, I can imagine AG Barr [as head of DOJ] inviting the SDNY DA [as a federal employee] to hand over said returns to him. The Court, in that part of its decision, could be said to have handed over an unbiased decision, the AG's action afterwards having nothing to do with it. If it's NY county's DA, I don't know how the game would play out then.

What’s he hiding?

That is the central question isn't it?

Why fight so hard if there's nothing to see?

For me , the most likely thing that it will show is that he is simply not a very good business man and isn't anywhere near as rich or successful as he has always claimed.

It will show that he makes very little money , that most of his businesses lose money and that all of them are heavily in debt.

It might also show evidence of legally suspect activity - Perhaps not properly criminal but certainly that he has been telling different people different things for his benefit.

Overestimating the value/turn-over of his businesses when using them as collateral for loans and underestimating them when it comes to things like property taxes and the like.

Basically his tax returns will confirm in writing what most people outside of his bubble have always believed - That he is a Paper Tiger , a Bulls**t artist and a back-street hustler and that if Daddy hadn't left him a fortune he'd be hawking rusty sh*tboxes in a back street garage somewhere in Queens.

aloyisious wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's the SDNY DA's [Cyrus Vance Jnr] office involved in the S.C case seeking access to the returns Don gave to the NY branch of Deutsche Bank [subpoenaed by the DA - with D/B prepared to hand the documents over] as part of his loans deals with it, or if its the NY county DA.s office. If the SC were to rule that it was OK for the bank to hand the returns over to SDNY, I can imagine AG Barr [as head of DOJ] inviting the SDNY DA [as a federal employee] to hand over said returns to him. The Court, in that part of its decision, could be said to have handed over an unbiased decision, the AG's action afterwards having nothing to do with it. If it's NY county's DA, I don't know how the game would play out then.

It's Cyrus Vance..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Never mind a celebrity or politician posting that, it's the kind of post you would expect from a bot. That it's coming from the US President is troubling. The man is clearly unhinged.

There seems to be a trend whereby he doubles down on his deflection tactics after the latest controversy. His reaction to being questioned during last nights presser tells you everything you need to know about this charlatan.

He is nothing more than a bully. I cannot square in my head why any American voter sound of mind would vote for this abhorrent prick.

• Advertisement

What’s he hiding?

He may be hiding nothing other than they may reveal he isn't or wasn't as rich as he claims. I think that in itself would be something trump want to hide. Also, they may reveal whether his sons were being truthful when they said they got loans from Russia.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement