Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

I'm seeing these conclusions from the April 21 publication of the Intelligence Committee as key to GOP efforts to derail Burr:

Politico reported that: "The Senate panel’s fifth and final installment in its exhaustive review of the 2016 interference is in the “editing stages,” a committee spokesperson said. The final product is expected to be around 950 pages long, according to sources familiar with the matter.

That report will focus on the counterintelligence aspects of the government’s Russia investigation, including allegations that Trump campaign officials coordinated with Russian operatives. Former special counsel Robert Mueller said last year that his probe “did not establish” such coordination."

The most loyal Trump supporters looked on Burr's performance here as being 'in league' with Mark Warner and the Dems and a betrayal of Trump. This despite the report having been agreed to unanimously by all members regardless of party. SO, rather than seeing it as a wake up call to protect election from Russian interference, those supporters are gunning for Burr. How 'patriotic' is that???

Of course, when you know your man has been in bed with the Russians and Volume 5 may describe ongoing instances of same, then you've got to kill volume 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Sweet Jesus. The gift that keeps giving :rolleyes:

Love the PPE in the background to show how great he is.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/status/1261011773039116288?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

fullstop wrote: »

And yet you have people on here saying Biden has dementia, seriously, no one in their right mind would say something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

fullstop wrote: »

According to the article in "The Hill" covering the visit, Don was the only person there without a mask, with Alex Azar and the head of the firm's production line, along with all the firms workers, wearing them. Saying without saying: there must be a god in heaven.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/497824-trump-goes-without-mask-on-trip-to-pennsylvania-ppe-factory

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It should be a priority that a mask is developed that will not disturb the hair or cover the face. The leader cannot be expected to mumble through a mask. Though a mask wouldn't make a deal of difference to anyone's understanding of what he is talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

TDS has blinded too many posters
    I see you go on about the US Covid-19 disaster, that Trump cant possibly win after all that is happening.
    https://imgur.com/a/LBJTpqq
    If Trump is doing so bad, Leo is doing worse, so is Macron, why is no one posting about how bad they are doing?
    Dont even get started on Belgium, a disaster.
    You really need to stop watching MSNBC and CNN, stay away from WasPost and NYTimes, and the liberati on Twitter, they are delusional with a chronic strain of TDS, no matter what Trump does they will blow a fuse, and it has infected some posters here unfortunately, but the cure is simple, dont let others do the thinking for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

da_miser wrote: »
    I see you go on about the US Covid-19 disaster, that Trump cant possibly win after all that is happening.
    If Trump is doing so bad, Leo is doing worse, so is Macron, why is no one posting about how bad they are doing?
    You really need to stop watching MSNBC and CNN, stay away from WasPost and NYTimes, and the liberati on Twitter, they are delusional with a chronic strain of TDS, no matter what Trump does they will blow a fuse, and it has infected some posters here unfortunately, but the cure is simple, dont let others do the thinking for you.

Are you going to hang around for a bit or is that all you have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭abff

There's no such thing as TDS. It's just another catchphrase thought up by Trump supporters to try to distract people from what a terrible person he is and what a mockery he is making of the presidency.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Even by his own standards Trump is doing a terrible job.

He said they would be down to zero soon. He says they had it contained. He said it was a hoax.

He is being judged against what he is saying. Nobody blames Trump for the virus, people blame Trump for his attempt to politicise it, that he put the economy in front of peoples loves, that he lied, that he downplayed it, that he didn't protect America when he had every chance to do that.

America had early warning of this, he refused to act. He did a partial stop of flights form China, but wouldn't take the necessary action that would have reduced the impact.

He is now actively working against his own administration message to make it look like he isn't the one in charge by claiming he wants it reopened but "those guys' won't let him.

If he doesn't think they need a lockdown, fine come out and make the case. If he does, then stand up for that. Stop being this wishy washy, 'none of this is my fault and its all terrible because everything was going so well and now things are tough for me' and try to be a leader.

When Boris Johnson fell ill with COVID-19, a few people made nasty comments but the majority said that they wished him well and hoped that he would make a full recovery. If (or more likely, when) Donald falls ill, I wonder what kind of comments people will be making?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

abff wrote: »
    When Boris Johnson fell ill with COVID-19, a few people made nasty comments but the majority said that they wished him well and hoped that he would make a full recovery. If (or more likely, when) Donald falls ill, I wonder what kind of comments people will be making?

I hope he gets better but gets a new take on his mortality and decides to spend of the rest of his day's living it up in Taiwan? Boris should join him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I can only speak for myself, but I'd wish him well - and I daresay most posters here would so the same - just in case you're implying some simmering resentment. Of course you can't account for Twitter but TBH look hard enough and you'll find any confirmation bias you want in that cesspool.

Nobody should have the misfortune to fall ill from this, that's the start and end of it. That includes Donald Trump, even if I think his leadership during the crisis has sat somewhere between incompetent and repugnant.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Even by his own standards Trump is doing a terrible job.

r.

How would you rate the Irish response Covid-19. if Trump and USA is a disaster what would that make Leo and Ireland?
    Ireland 308.44 deaths per million
    USA 256.76 deaths per million

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Why are critiques of Trump often met here with this Media stuff. I honestly think the people who cry about the Media on here, are the people who post about it the most.

I follow Trump here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/whitehouse/videos : Verified White House account which show his press conferences Live and have all of them for viewing.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/ is great for transcripts

His Twitter account https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump so you get it straight from the horses mouth. E.g:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1261126114799468549

(maybe a shout out to some here:))

Maybe a thread needs to be started about how poor news and the media is, and I'm sure most people would agree. THe fact is, we don't need it to parse the events for us anymore, we can watch it all live like a football match and draw our own conclusions. Technology is BEAUTIFUL!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭Tchaikovsky

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    A Russian translation of that tweet would have been a nice touch.

There's no such thing as TDS. It's just another catchphrase thought up by Trump supporters to try to distract people from what a terrible person he is and what a mockery he is making of the presidency.

Its very real
    Grown women screeching at the mention of his name
    Complete 180 degree turn around on media stances on issues, Bitch about US troops in Afganistan and when Trump states he is withdrawing the troops, the media demands that they stay.
    Melania wears a white dress, she gets criticised for being too old to wear white, a few days later Hilary wears a white pant suit, its a powerful statement, a fashion victory.
    Believe women, demand blood over Kavanaugh while turn a blind eye to Biden.
    The Media has found a way to generate views and clicks from a guaranteed percentage of the public, those infected with TDS, so the media has run with it.
    Those of us not so easily taken in by spin can see what is going on, the TDS sufferers are locked in a downward spiral, and will suffer even greater when Trump wins BIG in November.
    Remember the Dems just lost in their California stronghold the other day to a Republican, supposedly while Trump is making a disaster of Covid-19.
    How big will the victory be when covid is over and the economy is roaring back?

How would you rate the Irish response Covid-19. if Trump and USA is a disaster what would that make Leo and Ireland?

I wouldn't rate the Irish response as very good tbh. We are an Island nation so should have closed our borders far earlier and put in place sticker testing process with more of it.

In saying that, we are a small nation, we relied on other countries for advice and help.

I also think that our numbers are far more relatistic than the US numbers. I do not think that they are counting people dying at home for example in that figure. We know that health care in the states means that many people will not go to hospital for fear of the cost.

In addition, Trump had plenty of warning of this. Has tried to downplay it, not because he knew better, out purely because he wanted to avoid hitting the economy and thus his reelection.

Whether Leo has down a good or bad job, I believe that he is doing his best and whilst I think he should have done more, I don't believe that at any point he has made a decision for his own benefit rather than for Ireland.

Trump has made this all about him, his reelection and how he can avoid any negatives from it.

That is a major difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Its very real
    Complete 180 degree turn around on media stances on issues, Bitch about US troops in Afganistan and when Trump states he is withdrawing the troops, the media demands that they stay.
    Melania wears a white dress, she gets criticised for being too old to wear white, a few days later Hilary wears a white pant suit, its a powerful statement, a fashion victory.
    The Media has found a way to generate views and clicks from a guaranteed percentage of the public, those infected with TDS, so the media has run with it.
    Those of us not so easily taken in by spin can see what is going on, the TDS sufferers are locked in a downward spiral, and will suffer even greater when Trump wins BIG in November.
    Remember the Dems just lost in their California stronghold the other day to a Republican, supposedly while Trump is making a disaster of Covid-19.

But is how the media works really on topic for this thread?

You talk about the media generating clicks, hardly insightful stuff. This stuff is well known here. People here are watching live streams of him. We can follow his own personal blog (twitter). In this day and age to think everyone is getting their news parsed by CNN or FOX or whatever is quite naive, we've never has as much access to facts and figures.

And you noticing discussions about Melania's dress just sounds like you watch/read rubbish news. Maybe turn off the TV for a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Its very real

So can we now call the Republican outcry to Obama wearing a beige suit ODS?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭moon2

There are two things to unpack here:

1) Deaths per million is quite a poor metric when there the base population is orders of magnitude in the difference.

By this metric San Marino has the worst response in the world at over 1,200 deaths per million. That's horrific! However, this is actually only 41 deaths.

You really need to combine a few metrics to really get a good sense of how good or bad a given country's response has been, and also take into account where each country is in terms of it's response.

2) Ireland's response, once it kicked off, has been relatively good. I believe the biggest issue people have is that it was a week later than it should've been.

To compare Ireland's response with the US is like comparing apples and oranges. The US, to some extent, has been trying to 'reopen' for over a month. They were trying to reopen when thousands of people were dying every day, and that number was still *increasing*. If you look at the actual policies in place, Ireland has been, and continues to be, streets ahead of the US.

If you look at the linear graph of new cases for ireland ( https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/ireland ) and US ( https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/ ) you can see the impact on new cases for the two countries.

Bear in mind that the US had 100 cases about 2 weeks before Ireland did, so they should be 2 weeks closer to zero new cases all things being equal. As this is objectively not even close to being the case we can *probably* conclude Ireland's response was better.

--

All that said - Ireland's response could have been better. I do not think we're in the top 10 of 'best responses', or even close to that. However we're doing well now.

• Advertisement

##Mod Note##

Please don't just link dump - Use links to support your point - thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭moon2

You clearly dont understand how the media works.
    Its not about reporting the news anymore, its all about generating Ad revenue.
    In years past the TV and print media had a near monopoly on the audience, they just reported the news and we watched or read the papers in our location.
    Today we have unlimited choice, we can view news from any source world wide thanks to the internet and thats what we do.
    So with viewers down the one way to guarantee a regular audience was to pander the those with TDS, they cant get enough tales of woe, they eat it up, they have a lock on 20% of the population, the permanently indignant.
    After years of decline CNN got lucky with TDS sufferers, they tune in for a regular dose of woe, and in a genius move CNN are holding a Covid-19 expert panel discussion and Gretha Thurnburg is on it, the mother load for the permanently indignant folk, both Trump and climate change.
    WTF does Gretha know about Covid-19???? but its sure to get the permanently indignant tuning in so they run with it.
    Ignore the media lies, look at the recent Californian election ,the Republican won in a Dem safe seat.

Can we drop the usage of TDS? It's an insult used to disregard valid criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭sliabh 1956

To me the biggest difference between Trump and the above mentioned is that Trump is a bufoon, and a bully constantly looking for affirmation from his lackeys. He has a ridiculous flawed opinion of his intellect he is incapable of showing any genuine compassion . I can only speak for for Leo and Marcon at least when they speak to the press and public its not a freak show about how wonderful they are and how they are on the verge of defeating the Virus. He may well be re elected that's the peoples choice but to claim he is some kind of great Leader is just delusional

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

A few posts deleted that weren't to the standard required by the forum charter. If you've haven't read it yet, please read it before posting again on this thread. Also, please heed previous mod warnings, i.e.:
    As we've pointed out before on this thread and previous iterations, let's ease up on the "fake news" thing.

Characterising legit news outlets as fake news is a form of trolling and will be sanctioned if it continues.

You asked about Irish reponse.

How would you rate Trumps response to Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

The Fire Fauci brigade seems to have beaten science and data back into the dungeons of Republican thinking. Evidence-based policy is being replaced by magical thinking and Comical Ali propaganda. Information on cumulative tests performed are presented as a bar graph by date without explanation. Existing data is being changed on State websites to represent cases reported in January and February as having been reported in March. CDC guidance on categorisation of Covid deaths is being changed by politicians to 'Anything but Covid' deaths in many States.

I expect to see a massive ramping up of misinformation within the Administration as the politicians and Wall Street disciples continue to oust the scientists from the Covid response. Kushner over Birx, Mc Enany over Fauci. The removal of Rick Bright serves as a clear example of what will happen to you if you challenge the kleprocratic rollout of snake oil by the grifters in charge.

WHO is a Chinese asset; double blind studies of safety and efficacy are time-wasting; scientists who point out data - based warnings are 'playing both sides'; testing is bad because testing discovers cases; cases are bad because cases increase numbers; higher numbers of tests are good; higher numbers of tests are bad.

Welcome to the new war on Truth and Covid!!

##Mod Note##

Please don't just link dump - Use links to support your point - thanks

My apologies. I didn't realise I was breaching the charter. I came across that article this morning and it seemed to sum up perfectly how I feel about Trump. While it's intended as a commentary on why the British people dislike Trump so much, the points are equally applicable to people from many other countries.

If I may, I have quoted/summarised some of the comments that were made under various headings (extracts from the article are shown in italics).

Why he finds Obama so triggering

Trump has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. The stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

When those recent comments made by Obama were leaked, the only response that Trump was able to come up was to keep on tweeting OBAMAGATE in the hope (or should that say, expectation?) that some of the poor deluded fools who support him will be able to invent something that he can latch onto. Failing this, it will provide a distraction that can be used to deflect from the real issues when November comes around.

His sense of humour

While Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. But with Trump, it’s a fact. He doesn’t even seem to understand what a joke is – his idea of a joke is a crass comment, an illiterate insult, a casual act of cruelty.

Trump is a troll. And like all trolls, he is never funny and he never laughs; he only crows or jeers. And scarily, he doesn’t just talk in crude, witless insults – he actually thinks in them. His mind is a simple bot-like algorithm of petty prejudices and knee-jerk nastiness.

This is definitely one of the things I find most disturbing about Trump. He seems to have absolutely no moral compass and just lashes out like a spoiled child at anyone who stands in his way or who dares to say anything critical about him, or even asks a question that he finds objectionable.

His supporters

The fact that a significant minority – perhaps a third – of Americans look at what he does, listen to what he says, and then think ‘Yeah, he seems like my kind of guy’ is a matter of some confusion and no little distress to British people.

This last point is what especially confuses and dismays British people, and many other people too; his faults seem pretty bloody hard to miss. After all, it’s impossible to read a single tweet, or hear him speak a sentence or two, without staring deep into the abyss. God knows there have always been stupid people in the world, and plenty of nasty people too. But rarely has stupidity been so nasty, or nastiness so stupid.

I've been constantly bewildered by the extent to which his supporters been apparently been totally blind to his flaws. But much worse than this is the extent to which the establishment within the Republican Party has been prepared to close ranks behind this disgraceful mountebank in order to hold onto power at any cost.

I think future historians will look back on this period and will wonder about the selective madness that seemed to have taken hold of a significant proportion of the world's population. Hopefully, a sufficiently large proportion of the US population will have come to their senses by November to save us from being subjected to a further four years of this lunacy.

I just wish that I felt more confident when saying that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,669 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    The Fire Fauci brigade seems to have beaten science and data back into the dungeons of Republican thinking. Evidence-based policy is being replaced by magical thinking and Comical Ali propaganda. Information on cumulative tests performed are presented as a bar graph by date without explanation. Existing data is being changed on State websites to represent cases reported in January and February as having been reported in March. CDC guidance on categorisation of Covid deaths is being changed by politicians to 'Anything but Covid' deaths in many States.

I expect to see a massive ramping up of misinformation within the Administration as the politicians and Wall Street disciples continue to oust the scientists from the Covid response. Kushner over Birx, Mc Enany over Fauci. The removal of Rick Bright serves as a clear example of what will happen to you if you challenge the kleprocratic rollout of snake oil by the grifters in charge.

WHO is a Chinese asset; double blind studies of safety and efficacy are time-wasting; scientists who point out data - based warnings are 'playing both sides'; testing is bad because testing discovers cases; cases are bad because cases increase numbers; higher numbers of tests are good; higher numbers of tests are bad.

One might well ask how many QAnon members and fellow-travellers are in the senior levels of the Trump Admin [as appointed by Don] creating an alternative world of "facts" to counter the establishment Deep State that QAnon-ers see as existing in Govt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

TomOnBoard wrote: »

Rather scarily, there is a bit of that creeping in here too. Hearing lots of comment on the radio stating "Holohan and the Medical professionals have too much power, we need to let the politicians lead"

It's nowhere near as extreme as the American version of things but the reality is, people are getting frustrated and they need someone to blame. It doesn't help when the media they're consuming are pushing the same points

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

I don't knock Trump's actions prior to lockdown. Loads of places got this wrong. They're having a go at him over it but that's to be expected. I mean he's personally comfortable with making up lies about the president so why would he assume it would be different for him.

But his comments before and since lockdown he's been a disaster.

He can't string a few sentences together without messing up and promising everyone the sun moon and stars. That's pretty much what he does but this virus shows up his nonsense quite quickly. It didn't go away, it's not decreasing everywhere

This is known, its exactly why he's stopped briefings. Not because he was being treated badly but because he kept messing up.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement