Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Blueshoe wrote: »
    The Chinese government has paid for half a page in the indo today. "Written" by the ambassador to Ireland

Basically says don't blame China.

Why are you posting this in a Donald Trump thread?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

VinLieger wrote: »
    The man has boasted the 90s were his own personal Vietnam due to all the sex he was having that he didnt get an std cus sometimes...

I'd be the same myself. With that amount of money and power looks are irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'd be the same myself. With that amount of money and power looks are irrelevant.

The only power is what people concede because money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

rossie1977 wrote: »
    US hospitals in LA and NYC were overwhelmed and had to triage patients....

This is an extremely questionable paragraph. Let's start with this line.

I have been unable to verify it. Not only are no hits coming up on an online search saying that triage has been necessary (Plenty of hits saying that policies have been created for triage, but none saying it has happened)....

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2020/04/28/coronavirus-hospitals-avoid-ventilator-shortage-curve-new-york-flattens/3036008001/
    “There was a lot of discussion about what would happen if we got to a place like that,” said Michelle Hood, the chief operating officer of the American Hospital Association. “Clinical leadership teams went through the thought process of what would happen. To the best of my knowledge we have not had to make that rationing decision.” Hospitals did not have to use the triage plans their states drew up to decide who gets ventilators during a shortage.

... there also seems to be no indicator that it has been necessary as there appears to have not been a shortage of hospital beds, ICU beds, or ventilators.
    https://www.politifact.com/article/2020/apr/24/can-anyone-who-needs-ventilator-get-one-so-far-it-/
    We contacted all 50 states asking if any hospitalized patients had been denied a ventilator.

We heard back from more than 30 of them — including several coronavirus hot-spots such as New Jersey, Michigan, California, Pennsylvania, Washington, Florida and Louisiana — plus Washington, D.C., and the hospital associations in Illinois and a few other states.

They all told us the same thing: There hadn’t been any cases where their hospitals couldn’t provide ventilators to COVID-19 patients who needed them, or they weren’t aware of any.

Hospital ships had to be brought in to deal with crisis.

No, they did not. They were brought in because we had them (Curse that bloated US defense budget), as were all the other field hospitals which the military constructed (Again, curse that military expenditure). They basically went unused. By the time Comfort was sent home from New York, the 1,000-bed ship had treated a total of 186 persons, Mercy was sent home yesterday from LA after treating 77. The other field hospitals such as the two on Long Island have been mentioned before as treating 0. Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
    There were so many deaths that they loaded dead bodies in trucks.

True. Not a common event, but it certainly seems more practical than using scores of smaller vehicles. How did all those thousands of bodies get from Italian hospitals, out of interest? One large truck, or an entire procession of vans?
    There are mass graves in NYC area that can be seen by drones.

Decidedly misleading. That is the city public graveyard which has been in use since the 19th century.
    https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2020/apr/15/facebook-posts/fact-checking-posts-about-mass-graves-nyc/

First, mass burials didn’t begin on Hart Island during the COVID-19 pandemic. The city has used the location as a public cemetery for over 150 years, burying unclaimed people and those whose loved ones can’t afford private burials. ... There are usually about 25 burials on the island each week, the New York mayor’s press secretary Freddie Goldstein told CNN. But that number has climbed to nearly 25 each day.

Sure, they're busier than normal. Are any graveyards in COVID-hit regions not busier than normal? Remember, this is the public graveyard for a city with a population twice the size of Ireland's. 25 burials a day isn't exactly horrifying. Significant, yes, but you're making it seem like the Srebenizce massacre.
    The real US number is likely to be 10 times the official numbers.

A SWAG, or have you anything to justify that statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I hope he uses it to gut Trump.

He won't even mention him.

Outline the hope that the graduates represent for a brighter future during America's darkest time in living memory...

Then leave Don to do the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,215 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It’ll be nice to hear to a US president with a fully functioning brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,668 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

How did all those thousands of bodies get from Italian hospitals, out of interest? One large truck, or an entire procession of vans?

A large convoy of Military trucks, if it's Bergamo that came to your in mind. That horror photo image struck home.

://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-italian-army-called-in-to-carry-away-corpses-as-citys-crematorium-is-overwhelmed-11959994

Re New York field hospitals, we had something similar set up here which T/G didn't get too functional.

Image 1: Galway City. Image 2: Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Ahh I forgot replying to you is pointless as you refuse to discuss anything in good faith.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,419 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

duploelabs wrote: »
    Hard to know what counts as 'Dirt on Trump' these days given the precidence and his Teflon nature

Something concrete surrounding his trips on ‘the Lolita express’ could do it
    Trump was friends with Epstein for years and attended many of his events

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

This is a really good summation of the clusterf*ck that is the Trump administration.

https://www.ft.com/content/97dc7de6-940b-11ea-abcd-371e24b679ed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭briany

Akrasia wrote: »
    Something concrete surrounding his trips on ‘the Lolita express’ could do it
    Trump was friends with Epstein for years and attended many of his events

Unless something concrete is video of him doing stuff with a clearly underage girl, there's not much doing. And even if you had that tape, it would be hard to officially release, and even if 'leaked', it would be dismissed by true believers as a deep fake or some such.

No, it would be better for any and all opponents of Trump not to gather any more dirt on Trump, which he's already swimming in, but to explain why the alternative is better. Right now, the biggest ace Biden has is just that he is not Trump and he represents a return to normality. That in itself could be good enough, though.

And in light of that, Trump promised to drain the swamp, but could end up being the best thing ever to happen to the Washington establishment as he makes a return to politics as usual seem like an absolute win to the likes of Michael Moore and the whole centre-left.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

fullstop wrote: »
    This is a really good summation of the clusterf*ck that is the Trump administration.

That doesn't pull any punches

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

banie01 wrote: »
    He won't even mention him.

Outline the hope that the graduates represent for a brighter future during America's darkest time in living memory...

Then leave Don to do the rest.

CNN reporting on Obama's commencement address.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/politics/barack-obama-commencement-speech-2020-hbcu/index.html

Will be interesting to see how Don responds to the implicit criticism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

fullstop wrote: »

This is a great read.

Two things stand out for me:

1. All hell could break loose from a second wave if the US is unfortunate to experience one, but the Trump/Kushner Axis of Incompetence won't care as long as they can push it out beyond the November election, and
    2. When the books and movies are written/made on how this was handled, the word Trump will become synonymous with dog ****. The Congressional 'after action' investigation, along the lines of the 9/11 commission will show some truly appalling insider incompetence and failure to act that will become the 'go-to' descriptors of the Trump Presidency for all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,550 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

banie01 wrote: »
    CNN reporting on Obama's commencement address.
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/16/politics/barack-obama-commencement-speech-2020-hbcu/index.html

Will be interesting to see how Don responds to the implicit criticism.

He has started with this, tweet

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1261751862027595776?s=19

I'll be expecting a few more of these over the next 24 hours, Obama being chosen to do the commencement address will be seen by Trump as a massive insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Since it was the commencement of the HBCU (Historically Black Colleges and Universities) it is less surprising that Obama was asked, but that is unlikely to matter to Trump. The comments about the chaotic virus management will annoy him however. I had a look at Trumps twitter feed and indeed his response is OBAMAGATE, what is more ridiculous is the following tweet showing Trump dubbed over a film clip from Independence Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

Caquas wrote: »
    On the contrary, it would be easier to accept 14 years if it comprised a series of consecutive sentences whereas it was, in fact, a single sentence with a couple of concurrent sentences thrown in for good measure.

My comment is not “so what”, it’s what crime? The Appeal Court agrees with me on those counts.

Netflix has a documentary on Blago. The Celebrity Apprentice was part of an unsuccessful pre-trial media strategy. Who could have guessed that Trump would end up commuting his sentence?!

It’s superficial on the legal issues but it’s clear the American criminal justice system is not the place to fix America’s money-driven political system. And the sentence is clearly excessive even by US standards. Whatever he did, he wasn’t pocketing money.

Check out “Trial By Media” on Netflix https://www.netflix.com/title/80198329?s=i&trkid=14170035

In Texas, the state supreme court has given that State's AG a temporary hold on the mail-in vote decision of the federal appeal court decision to allow Texans have mail-votes in the future because of the Covid-19 outbreak. The appeal court decision was 9 - 6 because of the risk to the citizens health of catching the virus while queueing to vote, as preferred by the GOP. The AG argued the disability clause in state law allowing Texans a mail-in vote only mentioned physical disability, not a possible risk to heath from Covid-19. The state supreme court will hold a full hearing on the case in the next week or so, long before the next Texan election in July.

He has started with this, tweet

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1261751862027595776?s=19

I'll be expecting a few more of these over the next 24 hours, Obama being chosen to do the commencement address will be seen by Trump as a massive insult.

So far the word "Gate" hasn't been attached to Trump, maybe there's hope for it's reputation yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

This thing that president Obama will be speaking at tonight is actually really good. The class of 2020 aren't all bad.

Also given the fact I did my leaving cert in June of 2003, I feel old because some of these student were barely born when I was their age.

da_miser wrote: »
    Deleted post.

Your post is disingenuous and ignores the fact that CNN remade the broken feed shortly after and continued with the questioning:

https://youtu.be/i074s-vczp4

The thrust of Clapper's responses were:

1. Unmasking is normal and not at all unusual
    2. You ask to unmask ppl who are communicating with foreign adversaries who are being monitored as legitimate counter -intelligence targets.
    3. Flynn was communicating with Russian, Turkish and Saudi officials who were being monitored by US Intelligence. In reports of the calls, he would have been referred to as US Person 1.
    4. Because of the content of the call transcripts, a number of officials across Government were concerned. They asked for US Person 1 to be identified or unmasked to ensure they would not allow that person to be part of future briefings as he/she was leaking to foreign powers.
    5. The request for the person's identity tied Flynn into compromising phone calls that HE had with foreign powers.
    6. Obama knew earlier that most that Flynn was in touch with foreign powers. Remember, he advised Trump to NOT HIRE Flynn.
    7. Chris Christie also advised against using Flynn.

So, that's the big Flynn scandal Trump is trying to deflect from with his 'Obamagate' nonsense.

The unmasking non story is funny. The list of names were high ranking us officials who in normal times were in a position to request such an action. There doesn't seem to be a huge deep state conspiracy. The next administration will probably find a similar list of high ranking us officials with authorisation to request the same thing and the trump administration in all likelihood done the same things.

Also the trump acting DNI stated that the rules were followed by the Obama administration.

Well that address by former president Obama was nice. I mean he spoke well at least.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The unmasking non story is funny. The list of names were high ranking us officials who in normal times were in a position to request such an action. There doesn't seem to be a huge deep state conspiracy. The next administration will probably find a similar list of high ranking us officials with authorisation to request the same thing and the trump administration in all likelihood done the same things.

Just over 9000 unmasking requests in 2016 and 2017. Almost 17000 in 2018 and 10000 in 2019.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-what-unmasking-names-in-intelligence-reports-actually-means-2020-05-13

Anyone care to explore the 17000 requests in 2018? Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also given the fact I did my leaving cert in June of 2003, I feel old because some of these student were barely born when I was their age.

Imagine how those of us who did their LC in 2001 feel.

I started college on Sept 12. It was weird.

---

I'm wondering how, the tabloid media keeps ignoring let's say, Melania living elsewhere in DC and the rest...

It is amazing how much "news" can go unreported in the "lamestream" media.

I find it fascinating the amount of "news" that this administration has generated that it's hard to keep up!

---

Any links to Obama's address?

Imagine how those of us who did their LC in 2001 feel.

I started college on Sept 12. It was weird.

---

I'm wondering how, the tabloid media keeps ignoring let's say, Melania living elsewhere in DC and the rest...

It is amazing how much "news" can go unreported in the "lamestream" media.

I find it fascinating the amount of "news" that this administration has generated that it's hard to keep up!

---

Any links to Obama's address?

I remember exactly where I was on September 10th and 11th of that year. It's a moment our generation won't forget.

Obamas address was part of a bigger event but I'm sure it'll be available on NBCs YouTube channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

U.S. President Donald Trump fired the State Department’s inspector general following a recommendation by U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, the White House said on Saturday.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-inspectorgeneral-whitehouse/white-house-says-trump-fired-state-dept-watchdog-at-pompeos-request-idUSKBN22S0VS?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+reuters%2FtopNews+%28News+%2F+US+%2F+Top+News%29
    (can't characterise Reuters as having any bias)

Republican Sen. Mitt Romney on Saturday denounced President Donald Trump's firings of internal government oversight officials, calling it a "threat to accountable democracy."

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/16/politics/mitt-romney-trump-inspector-general-firing/index.html

Amazing that the Republicans pick to be 'their guy' is now the only Republican who will speak out against Trump

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement