Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Foxtrol wrote: »
    He'd tried to run before that, the narrative that 2016 was his first try is standard Trump nonsense to make him appear like he never loses.

At that point Trump was knee deep in the birther stuff and that was obviously already a play for a run by getting him on side with the right wing conspiracy nut jobs that are still his base today.

I think it was 1988 he spoke about running but that turned out to be a publicity stunt just to promote Brand Trump, he was never serious about it. Then also Roger Stone had him pretend that he wanted to run against Pat Buchanan as the Reform Party candidate, that was a ruse by Roger Stone to break any chance of a three party system emerging.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I think it was 1988 he spoke about running but that turned out to be a publicity stunt just to promote Brand Trump, he was never serious about it. Then also Roger Stone had him pretend that he wanted to run against Pat Buchanan as the Reform Party candidate, that was a ruse by Roger Stone to break any chance of a three party system emerging.

Even 2016 was about publicity for Brand Trump. The only difference was that he fell into winning the primary through a perfect storm of media malpractice, a complete mess of opponents, and the toxic group of voters republicans had built up over decades finally having a candidate that said what they thought.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Is the wall even mentioned by US media anymore? And whats its status, will it become a mark of his failure during the election campaign given how central it was to the last election campaign.

No, not mentioned much but it is still progressing. Construction has not stopped due to coronavirus. (This is typical, construction of all sorts is still continuing here, subject to restrictions such as mask wear and proximity to others)

Trump started with 650 miles (of various standards) already in place on the border 1,950 miles long.
    As of about a month ago, 156 miles had been completed, of which about 140 miles had been replacement wall, and 16 new miles constructed. Estimates are that some 450 miles will be completed (both new and replacement) by end 2020, with an additional 300 miles underway. If construction continues at current rates, which is, of course, dependent upon funding, and some matters of terrain which could affect funding, it seems reasonable that the vast majority (if not all) of the 1,950 miles could be completed by the end of a second Trump term.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭abff

Given the ever increasing toxicity being displayed by Trump and the apparent stupidity of many of his die hard gun toting supporters, how long is it going to take before one of them decides to take a pot shot at Obama? I hope Obama is ramping up his security right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭banie01

abff wrote: »
    Given the ever increasing toxicity being displayed by Trump and the apparent stupidity of many of his die hard gun toting supporters, how long is it going to take before one of them decides to take a pot shot at Obama? I hope Obama is ramping up his security right now.

Obama's security, indeed the security of all former Presidents is handled by the secret service.
    The threat assessment and response will be well handled IMO.

Its not a potshot at a former POTUS that will be the issue IMO, there is huge and vocal anger from a small portion of folk stateside regarding restrictions and even wearing masks that makes our sovereign frre-men look perfectly sane in comparison.

A screaming match in an open-carry state, could well descend to shots at the very least.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

abff wrote: »

It's not violence against Obama I'd be concerned about, but around the November election. Or indeed after it if the votes swing to Biden. There has been enough worry and chatter about Trump's ability to take a loss on the chin, given he couldn't even win 2016 with a modicum of grace. If Trump, Fox and - perhaps more pertinent for the flyover states and the like - Sinclair broadcasting all start winking at coups or conspiracies, it's possible those weekend warriors might find their call to arms

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭blackwave

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's not violence against Obama I'd be concerned about, but around the November election. Or indeed after it if the votes swing to Biden. There has been enough worry and chatter about Trump's ability to take a loss on the chin, given he couldn't even win 2016 with a modicum of grace. If Trump, Fox and - perhaps more pertinent for the flyover states and the like - Sinclair broadcasting all start winking at coups or conspiracies, it's possible those weekend warriors might find their call to arms

That's my biggest fear as well if Biden was to win the only thing is I can't see fox news promoting a call to arms but trump is a completely other story unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

While Obama is kind of trump's latest target(again) it's the aftermath of the election if trump loses that could easily turn into a cluster. I mean people are thinking outloud whether trump will leaf the White House gracefully in January next year if he loses, when it's November to January that may make whether trump does as a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    While Obama is kind of trump's latest target(again) it's the aftermath of the election if trump loses that could easily turn into a cluster. I mean people are thinking outloud whether trump will leaf the White House gracefully in January next year if he loses, when it's November to January that may make whether trump does as a picnic.

He might not leave gracefully and is likely to say anything but I’d be very sure he’s a physical coward and won’t put himself in the way of anything that’s likely to hurt him physically. He will leave when he has to because he won’t want to be the one in the way of harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Its already happening. Trump is using his 'fine people' rhetoric for the gun - toting goons in Michigan. Lad arrested there for making credible threats against the Governor the other day. He has the two mini Trumps (Dumb and Dumber) tweeting out all kinds of rabble rousing all the time and Junior is his go-to link with the big gun brigade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No, not mentioned much but it is still progressing. Construction has not stopped due to coronavirus. (This is typical, construction of all sorts is still continuing here, subject to restrictions such as mask wear and proximity to others)

Trump started with 650 miles (of various standards) already in place on the border 1,950 miles long.
    As of about a month ago, 156 miles had been completed, of which about 140 miles had been replacement wall, and 16 new miles constructed. Estimates are that some 450 miles will be completed (both new and replacement) by end 2020, with an additional 300 miles underway. If construction continues at current rates, which is, of course, dependent upon funding, and some matters of terrain which could affect funding, it seems reasonable that the vast majority (if not all) of the 1,950 miles could be completed by the end of a second Trump term.

Trump isn't getting a second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭RickBlaine

Towards the end of the 2016 campaign, when polls were pointing to a Clinton win, Trump started promoting the voter fraud theories and suggested he wouldn't easily accept a Clinton win. I suspect we will hear something similar around October / November if Biden is still doing well in the polls.

blackwave wrote: »
    That's my biggest fear as well if Biden was to win the only thing is I can't see fox news promoting a call to arms but trump is a completely other story unfortunately.

And he'd get it.

White right wing gangs are the biggest threat to safety in America today. They are number 1 terrorism.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,694 ✭✭✭eire4

I agree with you that is a major fear for me. If it gets close to November and it is clear he is going to lose expect him to do something whether its criminal corrupt or whatever it could lead to violence and certainly if he actually losses in November especially it it is at all close their will be a scorched earth policy for the next 2 months which could see things really spiral in a very nasty and dangerous way. Scary times really for the US and the world as there is no good news coming. If he losses there is likely to be trouble if he wins well the next 4 years will make the first 4 look like a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

ObamaGate didn't last very long.
    Sure something else will be along shortly.

Barr says it's unlikely Justice Department will investigate Obama or Biden
    https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justice-department/barr-says-it-s-unlikely-justice-department-will-investigate-obama-n1209401?cid=eml_nbn_20200518

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He certainly won't invite President Elect Biden for a tour of the WH. He'll say, he knows his way around already. Won't be gracious. Neither would I expect him to be around for inauguration day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

listermint wrote: »

Likely not, but it is a possibility. Otherwise, why bother with a campaign? Sure, Biden can just relax, be quiet, and ride inevitability to the White House.

The wall is a campaign issue. If someone really does want a wall built, he can look at current construction rates and see that it is a practicable reality with a second term.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

The biggest problems with the wall idea (beyond it being proven to not work) is not labour and supplies cost, it is land cost, logistical issues and more than anything else if I recall from articles written in 2016 and 2017, maintenance costs which woudk be utterly unsustainable even if it were an otherwise viable solution to a problem that was solving itself for the last decade anyway.

Can't wait to see the resurgence of that caravan that just seemed to disappear from the media and Trump supporters. Radars after November 2018 though!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Likely not, but it is a possibility. Otherwise, why bother with a campaign? Sure, Biden can just relax, be quiet, and ride inevitability to the White House.

The wall is a campaign issue. If someone really does want a wall built, he can look at current construction rates and see that it is a practicable reality with a second term.

Trump would be a fool to promote dumping money into a wall with a potential 25% unemployment rate this year. Here's hoping he goes for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

listermint wrote: »

The predictions about Trump are continuously wrong on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

If construction continues at current rates, which is, of course, dependent upon funding, and some matters of terrain which could affect funding, it seems reasonable that the vast majority (if not all) of the 1,950 miles could be completed by the end of a second Trump term.

And is that rate of construction acceptable to his supporters or something the Dems might attack him on. What about Mexico paying for it, has that disappeared from the US media and is it something the Dems can point to as a broken Trump election promise?
    RickBlaine wrote: »
    Towards the end of the 2016 campaign, when polls were pointing to a Clinton win, Trump started promoting the voter fraud theories and suggested he wouldn't easily accept a Clinton win. I suspect we will hear something similar around October / November if Biden is still doing well in the polls.

I think if it is a very close result we could see a re-run of legal challenges that we had in Florida with Bush and Al Gore. Were Trump to lose fair and square though its not like he could just refuse to vacate the White House when there is a President elect due to be inaugurated. Theres a consititiotion to uphold, if he has to be physically dragged kicking and screaming out of there then thats what would happen!
    20Cent wrote: »
    ObamaGate didn't last very long.
    Sure something else will be along shortly.

Some senator said that Obamagate is a hashtag looking for a conspiracy theory, an apt description IMO.

Trump now claims he has been taking Hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure for the last week or so. Studies so far have shown it does little as a cure and may increase likelihood of death and no one has spoken towards taking it as a preventative. According to him the evidence to support it are the positive calls he is getting from people.

I don't believe for a second that he is actually taking it and he is just putting his supporters lives at risk if they blindly follow him. The comments panicked Fox news so much they aired this straight after his comments.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1262484050964631557?s=20

The predictions about Trump are continuously wrong on this thread.

Once you ignore all the ones that were right...

The dying hope of a country that's slowly recognising the ills of armament. Is there no depths of president one would choose to hold tight on to a piece of metal.

So Donald trump has said he's been taking hydroxychloroquine. The question is why as it's an anti malaria drug. You'd wonder some times.

Also, the state department watchdog that was fired was investigating the SOS mike Pompeo's decision to approve arms sales to Saudi Arabia over the objections of congress and the same watch dog was reported to be close to finishing his report on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭moon2

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Trump now claims he has been taking Hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure for the last week or so. Studies so far have shown it does little as a cure and may increase likelihood of death and no one has spoken towards taking it as a preventative. According to him the evidence to support it are the positive calls he is getting from people.

I don't believe for a second that he is actually taking it and he is just putting his supporters lives at risk if they blindly follow him. The comments panicked Fox news so much they aired this straight after his comments.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1262484050964631557?s=20

The strength and length of that response is truly remarkable. If you told me last week, I would not have believed Fox news would go to such effort to convince people that Trump is giving incorrect life threatening suggestions to people.

Just... Wow.

And yet Biden is the one who's somehow supposed to be dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    So Donald trump has said he's been taking hydroxychloroquine. The question is why as it's an anti malaria drug. You'd wonder some times.

Also, the state department watchdog that was fired was investigating the SOS mike Pompeo's decision to approve arms sales to Saudi Arabia over the objections of congress and the same watch dog was reported to be close to finishing his report on it.

Trump said today that Pompeo asked him to fire the inspector. Loyal to the end.

moon2 wrote: »
    The strength and length of that response is truly remarkable. If you told me last week, I would not have believed Fox news would go to such effort to convince people that Trump is giving incorrect life threatening suggestions to people.

Just... Wow.

Cavuto is one of the ones that is closer to actual news but I suspect they're panicking about those lawsuits.

The Biden thing is very true. They manage to ignore everything Trump does that is complete insanity but then shout at Biden 'UNFIT, UNFIT... HE STUMBLED MID-SENTENCE'

moon2 wrote: »

Just... Wow.

Well Neil cavuto is kind of in the shep smith role at fox in that he doesn't seem to just parrot what trump says.

• Advertisement

Trump said today that Pompeo asked him to fire the inspector. Loyal to the end.

Trump is the last person I would describe as 'loyal to the end'. He is loyal when it takes very little effort, doesn't involve risking himself, and is a benefit to himself.

Firing an IG that he is technically allowed to fire is a lot better than an IG coming out that a deal his administration made with the Saudi's was illegal.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement