Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Trump is the last person I would describe as 'loyal to the end'. He is loyal when it takes very little effort, doesn't involve risking himself, and is a benefit to himself.

Firing an IG that he is technically allowed to fire is a lot better than an IG coming out that a deal his administration made with the Saudi's was illegal.

I was being sarcastic. He's throwing Pompeo under the bus. Today Pompeo had to admit he asked Trump to fire Linick. Pompeo said it wasn't because of any investigation into Pompeo or arms or stuff like that. Pompeo actually doesn't seem to know why he asked Trump to fire him. So it's all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I was being sarcastic. He's throwing Pompeo under the bus. Today Pompeo had to admit he asked Trump to fire Linick. Pompeo said it wasn't because of any investigation into Pompeo or arms or stuff like that. Pompeo actually doesn't seem to know why he asked Trump to fire him. So it's all good.

I didn't see today as him throwing him under the bus. It is standard Trump tactic of stating things like there is no issue with what he has done. This is a step well before the other person is at risk for a bus.

When he throws someone under the bus it is when he forces them out and then either blames them for everything and/or pretends to never have known them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I didn't see today as him throwing him under the bus. It is standard Trump tactic of stating things like there is no issue with what he has done. This is a step well before the other person is at risk for a bus.

When he throws someone under the bus it is when he forces them out and then either blames them for everything and/or pretends to never have known them.

I suspect that his comment was intended to put a little clear blue water between himself and Pompeo. Note that he didn't defend Pompeo in any way. If the investigation is leaked and there is murky water around arms to the Saudis, Trump will fire Pompeo and claim he knew nothing about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

listermint wrote: »
    Trump isn't getting a second term.

After the surprise last time I wouldn't be confident in calling it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I have been dismissing most of what he has been saying recently but this "I'm taking hydroxychloroquine" is something else. There are simply no words to justify this kind carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

marno21 wrote:
    I have been dismissing most of what he has been saying recently but this "I'm taking hydroxychloroquine" is something else. There are simply no words to justify this kind carry on.

Classic Trump distraction. The media will be talking about this for a few days instead of the pertinent news regarding Barr and the IG.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Who is writing the prescription for him?
    Dr. Reiner CNN, has just said he thinks the WH medical team have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Water John wrote: »

Or it could just be BS. It's not like his doctor can go telling people what he prescribed him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,062 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Water John wrote: »

I wonder what that team looks like these days, traditionally the President had a senior military physician (Obama had Rear Admiral Dr Ronny Jackson).

My guess is principled Doctors, especially ones that could be subject to Court Martial as well as malpractice suits, wouldn't prescribe the drug. Its more likely a long standing Trump flunkey.

Anyone seen Conrad Murray lately?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    Classic Trump distraction. The media will be talking about this for a few days instead of the pertinent news regarding Barr and the IG.

Oh I know what it is, Obamagate didn't work so this is the new one.

But this distraction will be followed by some of the imbeciles that follow him, and I wouldn't be surprised to see people end up in critical care units with adverse reactions to the drug.

POTUS telling the nation live on TV during a pandemic that he is taking something to prevent him getting ill will not go unnoticed by elements of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Thepoet85 wrote: »

He is not smart enough to manipulate the media in a strategic way. He just blurts out things at a whim.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Trump now claims he has been taking Hydroxychloroquine as a preventative measure for the last week or so. Studies so far have shown it does little as a cure and may increase likelihood of death and no one has spoken towards taking it as a preventative. According to him the evidence to support it are the positive calls he is getting from people.

I don't believe for a second that he is actually taking it and he is just putting his supporters lives at risk if they blindly follow him. The comments panicked Fox news so much they aired this straight after his comments.

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1262484050964631557?s=20

I recommend he should increase the dose for even greater results.

Fox are such ****ing hypocrites. They started this nonsense with their interview of some bogus researcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

No, not mentioned much but it is still progressing. Construction has not stopped due to coronavirus. (This is typical, construction of all sorts is still continuing here, subject to restrictions such as mask wear and proximity to others)

Trump started with 650 miles (of various standards) already in place on the border 1,950 miles long.
    As of about a month ago, 156 miles had been completed, of which about 140 miles had been replacement wall, and 16 new miles constructed. Estimates are that some 450 miles will be completed (both new and replacement) by end 2020, with an additional 300 miles underway. If construction continues at current rates, which is, of course, dependent upon funding, and some matters of terrain which could affect funding, it seems reasonable that the vast majority (if not all) of the 1,950 miles could be completed by the end of a second Trump term.

3.5 years in. 16 miles.

Not sure how you get from that current rate to 7 years in will be circa 1500 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

If one looks at Don's statement "I'm taking Hydroxychloroquine" 1st thing is ask him who prescribed the drug and dosage to him. If he gives the name of the Dr, then get that person to confirm the presidents public statement on his medication. If Don refuses the question, will some reporter have the courage to say "Mr President, I don't believe you". I don't think that'll happen.

It might be worth looking at Dons statement in the light of his war with the CDC and Dr Redfield. As sure as hell, some reporter will ask Redfield or Fauci [maybe even Birx] about it, putting them on the spot. If Redfield says it's bad [in the light that Don does not suffer from Malaria, Lupus or Arthritis] then he's given Don the excuse to have HSS fire him. If he says its ok, he goes against the FDA & CDC advice that the drug is not fit for purpose against Covid-19 and Don can turn and say "I told you so" leaving Redfield's reputation and the FDA and CDC in disarray.

If Don is taking the drug without prescription or medical dosage advice, does that [given the risk the drug has for users] put him in a situation where the 25th amendment can be brought into play against him?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

aloyisious wrote: »
    If one looks at Don's statement "I'm taking Hydroxychloroquine" 1st thing is ask him who prescribed the drug and dosage to him. If he gives the name of the Dr, then get that person to confirm the presidents public statement on his medication. If Don refuses the question, will some reporter have the courage to say "Mr President, I don't believe you". I don't think that'll happen.

It might be worth looking at Dons statement in the light of his war with the CDC and Dr Redfield. As sure as hell, some reporter will ask Redfield or Fauci [maybe even Birx] about it, putting them on the spot. If Redfield says it's bad [in the light that Don does not suffer from Malaria, Lupus or Arthritis] then he's given Don the excuse to have HSS fire him. If he says its ok, he goes against the FDA & CDC advice that the drug is not fit for purpose against Covid-19 and Don can turn and say "I told you so" leaving Redfield's reputation and the FDA and CDC in disarray.

If Don is taking the drug without prescription or medical dosage advice, does that [given the risk the drug has for users] put him in a situation where the 25th amendment can be brought into play against him?

His WH doctor has put out a statement more or less saying that "the potential benefits outweighed the risks"....to be continued

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

And is that rate of construction acceptable to his supporters or something the Dems might attack him on. What about Mexico paying for it, has that disappeared from the US media and is it something the Dems can point to as a broken Trump election promise?

Yes, to all four. Mileage may vary for all four.
    The dying hope of a country that's slowly recognising the ills of armament. Is there no depths of president one would choose to hold tight on to a piece of metal.

Perhaps. And I am not going to argue against your moralising, because it is utterly irrelevant to the voters. Some voters disagree with you and want the wall. Even if you're right, that doesn't mean they have to agree with you. The election is about winning votes, not moral argument.
    Midlife wrote: »
    3.5 years in. 16 miles.

Not sure how you get from that current rate to 7 years in will be circa 1500 miles.

Look at the current rate of construction. They obviously weren't going to start building in February 2017, there's a process for issuing requirements, budgeting, bidding, verifying the bids against the inevitable appeals by losing contractors, the contractors need to gather equipment and manpower and so on, so you can't just divide total time in the White House into miles.
    There are 8 months left in the year. 300 more miles are expected to be built. (assuming calendar year, not FY, which would be 5 months). That's 37 miles a month. 48 months at the same rate is 1,800 miles. Even if every single mile of the previously extant 650 needs to be replaced, the current rate would finish all construction by the end of the fourth term.

The reality is, however, as mentioned, the terrain makes building some of the wall very difficult. On the other hand, it's possible that the terrain also makes building some of the wall un-necessary (or just sensors will suffice). Presumably also much of the 500 miles of extant, not-upgraded wall is also not required to be replaced. Depending on how Congress shakes out in the next election, funding could come to a crashing halt, or it could continue as it is.

But the maths under the current construction schedule does check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,220 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Do people really believe he is taking it? The way I see it, its a win-win for him as long he simply says that he's taking it:

If he doesn't get coronavirus, he can claim it is working.

If he gets coronavirus, he can say he's not taking it and he just said it to 'test' the media (didn't he try this excuse recently, possibly with the bleach advice?).

I don't think he's stupid enough to follow his own advice and he strikes me as a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Do people really believe he is taking it? The way I see it, its a win-win for him as long he simply says that he's taking it:

If he doesn't get coronavirus, he can claim it is working.

If he gets coronavirus, he can say he's not taking it and he just said it to 'test' the media (didn't he try this excuse recently, possibly with the bleach advice?).

I don't think he's stupid enough to follow his own advice and he strikes me as a coward.

Agree, I doubt he is, he'll just be making money off it somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Hi
    Yes, to all four. Mileage may vary for all four.

Perhaps. And I am not going to argue against your moralising, because it is utterly irrelevant to the voters. Some voters disagree with you and want the wall. Even if you're right, that doesn't mean they have to agree with you. The election is about winning votes, not moral argument.

Look at the current rate of construction. They obviously weren't going to start building in February 2017, there's a process for issuing requirements, budgeting, bidding, verifying the bids against the inevitable appeals by losing contractors, the contractors need to gather equipment and manpower and so on, so you can't just divide total time in the White House into miles.
    There are 8 months left in the year. 300 more miles are expected to be built. (assuming calendar year, not FY, which would be 5 months). That's 37 miles a month. 48 months at the same rate is 1,800 miles. Even if every single mile of the previously extant 650 needs to be replaced, the current rate would finish all construction by the end of the fourth term.

The reality is, however, as mentioned, the terrain makes building some of the wall very difficult. On the other hand, it's possible that the terrain also makes building some of the wall un-necessary (or just sensors will suffice). Presumably also much of the 500 miles of extant, not-upgraded wall is also not required to be replaced. Depending on how Congress shakes out in the next election, funding could come to a crashing halt, or it could continue as it is.

But the maths under the current construction schedule does check out.

The problem is believing the construction schedule. That's not current rates. Thats promises from a combination of builders and Trump. That's about the most untrustworthy schedule you can find.

You even said current year is 37 miles per month from now on. So are the 16 miles just the last two weeks or have they actually just started?

This isn't based on anything now. It's based on what team trump are telling us will happen in the future.

You're a fool if you believe such things this far in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Isn’t actually commendable that he is practicing what he is preaching ? That he is actually taking this potential poison that he is advocating

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Isn’t actually commendable that he is practicing what he is preaching ? That he is actually taking this potential poison that he is advocating

No because idiots will follow him and kill themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,346 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

godtabh wrote: »

Some of the fox news talking heads, who have financial interests in hydroxychloroquine, have probably told Donald to speak nice of this drug (I highly doubt he's actually taking it) or else they're be critical of him.

There is evidence that Trump is being leveraged by out of state players, yet the grossest leverage can be seen in broad daylight with the relationship that Donald has with Hannitys/Ingrams/Limbaughs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

duploelabs wrote: »
    Some of the fox news talking heads, who have financial interests in hydroxychloroquine, have probably told Donald to speak nice of this drug (I highly doubt he's actually taking it) or else they're be critical of him.

There is evidence that Trump is being leveraged by out of state players, yet the grossest leverage can be seen in broad daylight with the relationship that Donald has with Hannitys/Ingrams/Limbaughs

Which fox news talking heads have financial interest in hydroxchlorquine? Are they listed somewhere?

Which out of state players and what evidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I'd put more money on him not taking it. He can't back down and admit he was wrong, so he'll say he's taking it and is having no side effects (because he's not actually taking it) and that it's helping prevent him from getting coronavirus (which is actually because of the multitude of other preventative measures and testing employed in the WH), so it makes him seem like he was right all along.

Even if he did catch Covid-19 and died from it he'd have it so people Weekend-at-Bernie's him so it looks like he didn't.

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Which fox news talking heads have financial interest in hydroxchlorquine? Are they listed somewhere?

Which out of state players and what evidence?

For the first part,

https://www.gq.com/story/ingraham-still-on-hydroxychloroquine-train

For the second part......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fox News have in fact shrieked 'no don't do that! It will kill you'.

Meanwhile Trump has said that he would not consider it unreasonable for a government employee to wash Pompeo's dishes if 'his wife or son were not there', and he couldn't see the issue in asking a government employee to walk the dog - as Pompeo might have been on the phone to the Chinese or Korean leaders. CNN says, it would not have been Pompeo's job to talk to Xi Jinping, and no-one has been talking to Korea recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

godtabh wrote: »

As absolutely cold and harsh as this will sound, Darwinism does have its pros.

Shrinks his voter base and tbh I am not a huge fan anyway of the kid gloves society that needs to label a bottle of bleach with do not drink. If you reach adulthood and you don't know not to drink bleach, stick a fork in a socket or to ignore the ramblings of an imbecile then you have already had a good run and if it's your time it's your time.

Latest distraction is a threat to withdraw from the WHO. Just keep flinging that **** sir, something will surely stick at some point

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

looksee wrote: »

Meanwhile Trump has said that he would not consider it unreasonable for a government employee to wash Pompeo's dishes if 'his wife or son were not there', and he couldn't see the issue in asking a government employee to walk the dog - as Pompeo might have been on the phone to the Chinese or Korean leaders. CNN says, it would not have been Pompeo's job to talk to Xi Jinping, and no-one has been talking to Korea recently.

I'm losing track of which IG was fired for what, but I think there's something a bit more serious than just doing the dishes

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-inspectorgeneral/u-s-house-chairman-alleges-saudi-arms-sale-link-to-state-ig-firing-idUSKBN22U269?feedType=RSS&feedName=politicsNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FPoliticsNews+%28Reuters+Politics+News%29

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

looksee wrote: »

Well.. Fox "News" shrieked "That't just silly" for several hours across multiple shows but then Fox Entertainment/Political opinion came on (Carlson/Hannity & Ingraham) and said it was brilliant and gave out about the Terrible liberal media politicising it and attacking the president for doing it , vilifying all the usual suspects - CNN , MSNBC etc. but managing to completely ignore the fact that their own channels actual journalists were saying exactly the same thing..

They really are utter Charlatans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,493 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement