Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,664 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

I think the word "morbidity" is being used by doctors when mention is made of underlying symptoms of elderly people who've been hospitalized or died of Covid-19. So yeah she's taking a page from Don's book with the "they say" including his waist-line as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭amandstu

Journalists should not forget to ask Trump why he claims to be taking that concoction and not why he is taking it ....so that he gets that we don't believe him necessarily.

I am also wondering whether it is the zinc that appeals to him.They could ask him about that ("any side effects,sir"?):pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I never said he was smart. But it gives the media that's on his side an excuse to focus on a lesser issue than the relevant one at hand. I'm certain it's not his doing, but it works to his advantage constantly.

That doesn't makes any sense.

The media on his side doesn't need an excuse, they weren't going to mention anything about the IG no matter what happened yesterday, they would be chasing ghosts of the Biden/Obama conspiracy of the day.

A lot were however forced to cover Trumps comments yesterday because it was huge news. They however had to put some sort of caveat that their viewers should at least consult their doctor before taking and that opens up risk that the doctors will tell the person the truth. That is much worse for Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Plus , so far they've been building/re-building the easy bits - As already mentioned there's the geology/geography of some places that will make it much harder and slower.

And that's before you get into the multitude of lawsuits that will cascade down on them when they start having to issue eminent domain purchase orders for all the private land that the wall would have to go through..

For a "National Emergency" it sure is proceeding at a snails pace.

Also, there are these things called planes that transport people in the air. Most illegal immigration to the US is caused by people flying here overstaying their visas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Foxtrol wrote:

I apologise for having an opinion.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »

The media on his side doesn't need an excuse, they weren't going to mention anything about the IG no matter what happened yesterday, they would be chasing ghosts of the Biden/Obama conspiracy of the day.

A lot were however forced to cover Trumps comments yesterday because it was huge news. They however had to put some sort of caveat that their viewers should at least consult their doctor before taking and that opens up risk that the doctors will tell the person the truth. That is much worse for Trump.

Just to add to this, the constant desire to claim 'he's playing the media' no matter how unhelpful it is to him is simply excusing the downright stupidity of his actions. If the media just called his words out for being as insane as they are, rather than digging for sanity or some hidden strategy, then we'd be in a much better place.

The NYT are terrible at trying to find 'balance' in reporting his idiocy, either twisting themselves in knots to find some far flung viewpoint where what he said could be normal or having in-depth interviews with a bunch of people with MAGA tattoos on their forehead that liked what he said.

Thepoet85 wrote: »
    I apologise for having an opinion.

No problem in having an opinion. I am able to justify the ones I have and expect others to do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭Thepoet85

Foxtrol wrote:
    No problem in having an opinion. I am able to justify the ones I have and expect others to do the same.

Agreed. I felt my point was valid. Been a long day, so I may be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

amandstu wrote: »

Will he maintain a dignified silence

Hmm, let's think about that one for a second. Donald Trump.....dignified silence......I could be going out on a limb here, but I'm going to guess, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can't remember it, but his retort to Pelosi was poor. Here it is;
    “Pelosi is a sick woman,” Trump said in response. “She’s got a lot of problems, a lot of mental problems.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Dont think Trump will be happy with Pelosi calling him morbidly obese

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pelosi-responds-trump-hydroxychloroquine-morbidly-obese/

Well, she used the Trumpian proviso "they say", so she's covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

No way on earth his BMI is just 30 odd either. That photo of him playing golf shows his belly and it is massive. I guess he is at least 36.

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/10/republican-group-attacks-president-for-golfing-during-coronavirus-outbreak-trump-just-didnt-care/

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Dont think Trump will be happy with Pelosi calling him morbidly obese

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/pelosi-responds-trump-hydroxychloroquine-morbidly-obese/

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/19/nancy-pelosi-trump-morbidly-obese-hydroxychloroquine/5218979002/

William Cummings USA TODAY
    Published 5:04 PM EDT May 19, 2020
    President Donald Trump declined to respond Tuesday to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi calling him "morbidly obese."

"I don't respond to her. I think she's a waste of time," Trump told reporters after meeting with Republican senators on Capitol Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Water John wrote: »
    Can't remember it, but his retort to Pelosi was poor. Here it is;
    “Pelosi is a sick woman,” Trump said in response. “She’s got a lot of problems, a lot of mental problems.”

And she really knows how to get under his skin... "I think he should recognize that his words weigh a ton.". Her constant reference to weight in her responses are classic reinforcement ... Don simply can not deal with Nancy's verbal sparring.. He really should know better than to get into such a bout with her. It's almost cruel to watch... He hasn't got a prayer...

Sad to see Pelosi lower herself to his standards. US politics has jumped the shark for the bazillionith time.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭the immortals

Sad to see Pelosi lower herself to his standards. US politics has jumped the shark for the bazillionith time.

Typical, you couldn't even call her out on a dreadful thing to say about anyone without qualifying it as her lowering her standards to trumps, a previous poster called it her superior verbal sparring, the stink of hypocrisy is nauseating

• Registered Users Posts: 25,549 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Typical, you couldn't even call her out on a dreadful thing to say about anyone without qualifying it as her lowering her standards to trumps, a previous poster called it her superior verbal sparring, the stink of hypocrisy is nauseating

Can you link us to the posts where you yourself have called Trump out on the horrible things he has said about people?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

To be fair that is being incredibly nice to Trump. She used medical terms and how they relate to medication he claims to be on. I am not sure she is that worried it should be a worry to many that president might be on medication where he has a high risk of complications. He just calls people schoolyard names. Horseface is not a medical term.
    I would add that the sheer volume is also different given this has been a Trump calling card for years. At this stage if someone is called names in politics then the comparison to Trump has to be made. I reckon it will be like that for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I think it's a very welcome development and long overdue.I hope the likes of Clinton and Obama follow suit. When Trump and the GOP go low, the Dems should go lower. It's the patriotic thing to do now.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think it's a very welcome development and long overdue.I hope the likes of Clinton and Obama follow suit. When Trump and the GOP go low, the Dems should go lower. It's the patriotic thing to do now.

I'd agree to a certain extent - Biden should try to remain above it as much as possible to exaggerate the difference between their behaviours, but they do need a few surrogates , whether that's Pelosi or not, that will get down into the dirt with Trump and his surrogates.

They can't allow them to have a free pass on all of the guff they come out with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭abff

I agree that it’s inaccurate and somewhat hurtful to refer to Trump as morbidly obese, but it’s far less inaccurate and hurtful than a lot of things Trump has said over the years. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Is it just me or does anybody else audibly laugh when they read these posts? :)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

The dreadful thing being so politely put and pierce his hide that he could only say "I ignore her" shows how effective Nancy is in being the MOM in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭abff

Is it just me or does anybody else audibly laugh when they read these posts? :)

When I see these posts, I cringe. I don’t find anything remotely funny about Trump and his supporters. Laughable yes, but not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

abff wrote: »
    When I see these posts, I cringe. I don’t find anything remotely funny about Trump and his supporters. Laughable yes, but not funny.

So you laugh?

I dunno, I find a lot of things funny, cringy, frustrating etc

When I see the faux outrage ones I can't help but laugh

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I'd agree to a certain extent - Biden should try to remain above it as much as possible to exaggerate the difference between their behaviours, but they do need a few surrogates , whether that's Pelosi or not, that will get down into the dirt with Trump and his surrogates.

They can't allow them to have a free pass on all of the guff they come out with.

Good point. Biden needs to remain dignified to highlight, by contrast, Trump's egotistical rants. But at the same time, you need snipers such as Pelosi and Obama to smear Trump at every opportunity. He needs to be so caked in sewage that he's impossible to vote for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Good point. Biden needs to remain dignified to highlight, by contrast, Trump's egotistical rants. But at the same time, you need snipers such as Pelosi and Obama to smear Trump at every opportunity. He needs to be so caked in sewage that he's impossible to vote for.

I’m fairly sure sewage only makes him stronger.

I’m fairly sure sewage only makes him stronger.

As in bleach and hydroxychloroquine?

What? Where's the hypocrisy?

Name calling is Trump's thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

abff wrote: »
    I agree that it’s inaccurate and somewhat hurtful to refer to Trump as morbidly obese, but it’s far less inaccurate and hurtful than a lot of things Trump has said over the years. If you can’t take it, don’t dish it out.

I dunno, I think making fun of people's appearance is not a nice thing to be doing. People struggle with their weight/appearance a lot and it effects their mental health.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement