Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I dunno, I think making fun of people's appearance is not a nice thing to be doing. People struggle with their weight/appearance a lot and it effects their mental health.

Don't dish it out and people will feel worse if you are insulted. People struggling with body image issues but if you go around getting a name for calling people miss piggy you can't exactly be shocked if someone mentions your weight in a medically accurate fashion (well he may be obese). Especially when it effects medication you claim to be taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

I dunno, I think making fun of people's appearance is not a nice thing to be doing. People struggle with their weight/appearance a lot and it effects their mental health.

This is politics. And Trump has debased politics. His vicious personal tweets are simply insults and lies. His son called Biden a 'pedophile' at the weekend. Pointing out that Trump is obviously overweight is extremely mild by comparison to anything Trump says or does.

The Dems would be extremely foolish not to use any bit of dirt they can to attack Trump. Once this terrible POTUS, and terrible human being, is out of office then American politics and society might have some chance of regaining a semblance of dignity and respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Sad to see Pelosi lower herself to his standards. US politics has jumped the shark for the bazillionith time.
    Perhaps, but also entirely fair and right. You deserve the governance you vote for in any democracy, and Americans have shown this is what they want and respond to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

Christy42 wrote: »
    Don't dish it out and people will feel worse if you are insulted. People struggling with body image issues but if you go around getting a name for calling people miss piggy you can't exactly be shocked if someone mentions your weight in a medically accurate fashion (well he may be obese). Especially when it effects medication you claim to be taking.

Ah but not only Trump hears it. Everyone struggling who hasn't dished it out hears it unfortunately.

This is politics. And Trump has debased politics. His vicious personal tweets are simply insults and lies. His son called Biden a 'pedophile' at the weekend. Pointing out that Trump is obviously overweight is extremely mild by comparison to anything Trump says or does.

The Dems would be extremely foolish not to use any bit of dirt they can to attack Trump. Once this terrible POTUS, and terrible human being, is out of office then American politics and society might have some chance of regaining a semblance of dignity and respect.

It's not just about Trump. Everyone hears it. It's not nice full stop, just my opinion anyway.

• Advertisement

Ah but not only Trump hears it. Everyone struggling who hasn't dished it out hears it unfortunately.

Hears what? That you should be careful about taking certain medication if you are overweight? What she said was factual.

It is nowhere near the level of what you see in the rest of US politics. Or even in comedy movies. I can see Trump getting annoyed because he sees himself as being in great shape (healthiest president ever note) but anyone else.

I mean referring to a candidate as a pedo is getting little traction. Pointing out someones medical status is crossing the line? Seems lie very different standards to me. Just because we don't expect the Trumps to hold to any standards doesn't mean we shouldn't hold them to it.

It also might make people consider the risk of going with an unproven medication, particularly when they have existing health issues.

Hears what? That you should be careful about taking certain medication if you are overweight? What she said was factual.

I meant just the digs at his weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,501 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

It also might make people consider the risk of going with an unproven medication, particularly when they have existing health issues.

Doubt it, what would those experts know anyway. Trump says dont listen to them, he must be right etc etc

I meant just the digs at his weight.

Do you mean from Nancy or just the Internet? Because the limit of what Nancy said was that the medication could interact badly with his weight. I mean she likely knew the effect of it but that was all she said.

• Advertisement

Do you mean from Nancy or just the Internet? Because the limit of what Nancy said was that the medication could interact badly with his weight. I mean she likely knew the effect of it but that was all she said.

I felt Nancy said what she said as a dig at his weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Name calling:
    Mini Mike
    Sleepy Joe
    Cryin’ Chuck
    Crazy Bernie
    Pocahontas
    Shifty Schiff
    Crooked Hillary
    Etc.

Fact:
    He is obese, hydroxychloroquine does not go well with that.

Non story.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,172 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

And isn't that one of the problems with the world today, people feeling offended on behalf of other people.

Pelosi made a comment, that is better for people who are obese to listen to then Trump telling them what do they have to lose by taking it ignoring the science of what they actually are risking.

I think logically one comment should upset people more than another.

Edit: sorry if this seems like I'm having a go at you unnecessarily, I'm on the mobile so should really have waited so I could flesh out my thoughts on this better.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Don's made repeated statements about how the U.S has the most tests for Covid-19 and that is why it has the highest number of Covid-19 cases. OK, in so far as that goes, he's right as the tests uncover the cases more and more the proven numbers recorded climb. That's one way of spinning the truth. According to MSN - Indy News, Don has take it a stage further.

In an unprecedented move, Trump has tried to put a positive spin on these numbers by claiming that having so many cases is a 'badge of honour.' During a meeting with his cabinet in the East Room of the White House on Tuesday, Trump pinpointed that the amount of cases shows that the US is somehow leading the way when it comes to testing.
    By the way, when you say that we lead in cases, that’s because we have more testing than anybody else. Actually the number of cases, and we’re also a much bigger country than most, so when we have a lot of cases, I don’t look at that as a bad thing, I look at that as, in a certain respect, as a good thing, because it means our testing is better.

I view it as a badge of honour. Really, it’s a badge of honour. It’s a great tribute to the testing and all of the work that a lot of professionals have done.

The article writer made one comment, that the dead Americans killed by Covid-19 might have a different opinion about the badge of honour Don is so proud of.

And isn't that one of the problems with the world today, people feeling offended on behalf of other people.

Personally I wasn't aware of this problem. As in it hasn't been an issue for me I don't think anyway.
    Pelosi made a comment, that is better for people who are obese to listen to then Trump telling them what do they have to lose by taking it ignoring the science of what they actually are risking.

I think logically one comment should upset people more than another.

Edit: sorry if this seems like I'm having a go at you unnecessarily, I'm on the mobile so should really have waited so I could flesh out my thoughts on this better.

I agree people can be upset at different things and find one thing more upsetting than another. And I agree that he should not be saying these things and it is very dangerous.

No I don't feel you're having a go at me at all.

And maybe my point was unclear.

I just think calling people names and having digs at their appearance is something we should endeavour to stay away from. That's all.

In principle I agree, we should never go personal on people ideally, and if the world could be worked to run in the ideological fashion that would be great but I'm very much a fight fire with fire person when it comes to someone like Trump.

The taking the moral high ground approach has been tried.

It's sad that this is what us politics has come to, but it is what it is. You have to fight the battles your in, not the ones you want to be in.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

In principle I agree, we should never go personal on people ideally, and if the world could be worked to run in the ideological fashion that would be great but I'm very much a fight fire with fire person when it comes to someone like Trump.

The taking the moral high ground approach has been tried.

It's sad that this is what us politics has come to, but it is what it is. You have to fight the battles your in, not the ones you want to be in.

Agreed. For someone that spends so much time on Twitter launching infantile attacks on others, Trump is incredibly easily triggered. If I was the Dems I'd definitely keep Biden above all this but would look to retaliate against Trump's stupidity at every opportunity. I'd say he is absolutely raging about what Pelosi said, and this is the guy that's called her mentally deranged a good few times in public. Don't dish it out if you can't take it, Donnie.

This is it, Biden should stay out of the mud. That's his role, to be the alternative.

The likes of Bloomberg, Schiff, schumer, pelosi, Sanders etc etc etc can play the roles of junior and Eric but obviously to a less odious degree

Bloomberg can finance plenty of that level of mud slinging too and stay detached from it himself. Every single thing to slam Trump on, hit him and hit him hard. He is so thin skinned he will give ample ammunition on top of what is already there.

If it's really come to calling each other fat or mentally unwell then yes it is sad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Not her fault he’s obese.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

This is it, Biden should stay out of the mud. That's his role, to be the alternative.

The likes of Bloomberg, Schiff, schumer, pelosi, Sanders etc etc etc can play the roles of junior and Eric but obviously to a less odious degree

Bloomberg can finance plenty of that level of mud slinging too and stay detached from it himself. Every single thing to slam Trump on, hit him and hit him hard. He is so thin skinned he will give ample ammunition on top of what is already there.

Exactly - I think you'll see more and more of the Liberty Project or similar proxies picking up on the attack ads , Targeting Trump and the GOP senators up for election in November.

Getting control of the Senate is arguably more important to be honest.

If Biden wins , but the GOP still has the Senate it will largely be a waste of time.

If they take the Senate , regardless of who is in the WH they can set the pace of things.

Not her fault he’s obese.

I'd tend to agree. Unless....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

If Trump wins second term you are potentially looking at a supreme Court with a 7-2 advantage for conservatives (many likely to be ultra conservative) by 2024 and for next decade or more after that. That in itself means it's of utmost importance that Biden wins to stop what could be a disastrous situation for the country occurring.

The US is becoming more progressive not more conservative yet you are looking at a situation where in 2025-2040 the laws laid down will be draconian in nature.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Exactly - I think you'll see more and more of the Liberty Project or similar proxies picking up on the attack ads , Targeting Trump and the GOP senators up for election in November.

Getting control of the Senate is arguably more important to be honest.

If Biden wins , but the GOP still has the Senate it will largely be a waste of time.

If they take the Senate , regardless of who is in the WH they can set the pace of things.

I'm guessing you mean the Lincoln Project and they really do know exactly the buttons to push to annoy Trump and also turn some moderate republican voters. The one that Trump already lost it about was showing how he hurt rather than helped the people he claimed he would and their recent far less publicised ad showed how Trumps attention seeking and blame cycle wont stop unless he is voted out, which will resonate with many people that might support some of the things he has done but are just sick of hearing about him.

I strongly expect that as the election goes on the Lincoln Project will constantly highlight his weakness; as a person, a businessman, and politician. Trump's whole life has been built around projecting strength that simply isn't true. If you ever take a trip into the strange world of his supporters, it is full of people that strangely build him up to be some kind of demi god. Poking holes in that will drive Trump insane and though I don't think they will necessarily win too many new voters, it could drive down his base turnout, which the Trump team is clearly already panicking about based on their recent ad buys. His base not turning out is great news for Democrats across the board.

On the Pelosi comments, she was poking that same weakness in the image that Trump wants to portray and reality. Trump was clearly told not to respond to her but I just don't see it lasting, he'll stew on it for a while and then it'll explode at some point in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

If everyone who is morbidly obese (a large proportion of the US population, particularly poorer people) hears that taking hydroxychloroquine has potential fatal side effects, then once again, Nancy has done a great service which goes in some way to counter Don's snake-oil claims.

Taking a potentially fatal drug on the basis of people telling him anecdotes over the phone by a President is appalling, and crowing about it is worse. Someone needed to call him out on his lunacy.

Nancy did! Simple as that!

TomOnBoard wrote: »
    If everyone who is morbidly obese (a large proportion of the US population, particularly poorer people) hears that taking hydroxychloroquine has potential fatal side effects, then once again, Nancy has done a great service which goes in some way to counter Don's snake-oil claims.

Taking a potentially fatal drug on the basis of people telling him anecdotes over the phone by a President is appalling, and crowing about it is worse. Someone needed to call him out on his lunacy.

Nancy did! Simple as that!

I disagree what she did was as simple as that.

I see people are enjoying Nancy's follow up remarks too.
    I didn’t know that he would be so sensitive, he’s always talking about other people’s weight. I think he should recognize his words weigh a ton.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Fair play to her. Go Nancy!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I didn’t know that he would be so sensitive, he’s always talking about other people’s weight. I think he should recognize his words weigh a ton.

That's how a grown up takes a swipe at someone in a professional environment..

Pointed , but indirect.

Not Trumps primary school taunting , which seems to exclusively involve calling people either "Crazy" , "Low-IQ" or "Nasty".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Perhaps the reading on this is that Pelosi is playing the role taken by Joe Biden in 2008/2012: IE, she's the stalking horse and the one to play the Bad Cop, mouthing off and speaking plainly. Not like Biden can play that role anymore if he's serious about (restoring civility to) the Presidency, and given his chatter about picking a woman as VP it sounds like that role is already well defined in a certain fashion.

Nancy Pelosi is already arguably the most hated Democrat in politics with Republicans, second only perhaps to Ocasio-Cortez (for different reasons). I would stop short of "admiring" Pelosi playing in the gutter, but it's not a particularly new tactic either - maybe only new in its rhetoric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

She's on fire lately. Knows exactly how to trigger him. He'll be absolutely fuming :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement