Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,663 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Will it end with him [out of rancour] threatening to veto the US$ 3 Trillion re-opening business money bill she's pushing through the house and hoping to get the senate to support? It's almost a cert that he'll veto anything with her name on it even when the benefit will be lost to business and hurt the economy even if the GOP Senate do pass it for the benefit of business.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

aloyisious wrote: »
    Will it end with him [out of rancour] threatening to veto the US$ 3 Trillion re-opening business money bill she's pushing through the house and hoping to get the senate to support? It's almost a cert that he'll veto anything with her name on it even when the benefit will be lost to business and hurt the economy even if the GOP Senate do pass it for the benefit of business.

Obviously that will be bad for the US economy , but it will be worse for Trump and the GOP.

"Why did you hold up the funding Mr President?" , "Well, Nancy Pelosi is crazy and she's mean to me and shows me no respect"

How will an unemployed Rust-belter view that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Obviously that will be bad for the US economy , but it will be worse for Trump and the GOP.

"Why did you hold up the funding Mr President?" , "Well, Nancy Pelosi is crazy and she's mean to me and shows me no respect"

How will an unemployed Rust-belter view that?
    The same way many of them are treating refusal to assist them now, unless their governors say nice things about him.

It's a mixed bag, and seems to be doing him more harm than good, but this is the level of cultism we're at right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That bill looks completely dead at this point, the GOP dont want to even talk about it so it wont make it to his desk.

Trump and GOP have decided that they want to try to move on from COVID and believe that reopening will solve all of the issues and everything will go straight back to normal. It is complete heads in the sand stuff, just like how they acted in the early months of the outbreak.

Don made an angry speech today about post-in voting in Michigan, seems he claiming some states have been sending out fake votes to voters and threatening to withhold federal funding from states which give their citizens mail-in votes. He has it in for Gretchen for pursuing her own course.
    He discussed something like this in a tele-conference with what were described as rural GOP Governors back in March.
    It looks like Dr Redfield may suffer the "thrown under the bus" routine from Don. If so, who'll take up the slack at CDC. Dr Birx has her hands full with her White House job overseeing the nations fight against Covid-19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Don made an angry speech today about post-in voting in Michigan, seems he claiming some states have been sending out fake votes to voters and threatening to withhold federal funding from states which give their citizens mail-in votes. He has it in for Gretchen for pursuing her own course.
    He discussed something like this in a tele-conference with what were described as rural GOP Governors back in March.
    It looks like Dr Redfield may suffer the "thrown under the bus" routine from Don. If so, who'll take up the slack at CDC. Dr Birx has her hands full with her White House job overseeing the nations fight against Covid-19.

Except Michigan didn't send out mail in ballots, they sent out application forms to request mail in ballots but why should Donald trump care about accuracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Open to correction here but didn't Donald and his 3rd lady vote in Florida by mail in?

Yet another look over here, while Barr and McConnell tear further away at the democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,903 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Caegan wrote: »
    Open to correction here but didn't Donald and his 3rd lady vote in Florida by mail in?

Yet another look over here, while Barr and McConnell tear further away at the democracy.

They did but that's different because of reasons...

I see the transport secretary who just happens to be the wife of senate majority leader Mitch McConnell has questions to answer after trying to help her husband reelection using her office and because the transport department IG was removed because she was looking at this issue.

So that's at least two cabinet secretaries who this week have questions to answer over how they are conducting themselves in office.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Yep, and Texas has post by mail too apparently. But thats a red state so its ok.........

He tweeted that Michigan are breaking the law and hed look to have funding withdrawn.

How can anyone that supports him look at him and think the way he goes on is ok?

I keep saying it but the simple test is pretend Obama did or said something and if you disagree with it then you should still disagree if Trump does/says it.

EDIT: The tweet

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263170880298942464

• Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I looked behind the curtain again and it seems to get worse everyday. Some of the tweets are bordering on insane.

I'm assuming Biden is polling incredibly well in Michigan?

• Advertisement

Yep, and Texas has post by mail too apparently. But thats a red state so its ok.........

EDIT: The tweet

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1263170880298942464

Re Texas, the courts [state & federal] down there are batting the issue of post in votes to & fro. The Federal appeal court gave the go ahead for citizens to access post-in voting because of the risk of Covid-19 while queueing to vote. Texas A.G Ken Paxton went to the state supreme court and it overturned the appeal court ruling as there was nothing in Texan law about the risk of being affected by virus [covid-19 or other] while queueing to vote which could permit the issue of post-in votes, arguing that a future risk from a virus was not the same as an existing disability or service out of state requiring the issue of a post-in vote. It seems that that Texas Supreme Court decision was overturned on Tuesday by another federal appeal court decision that fear of virus is a valid reason to vote by mail in Texas.

These are links on the ongoing legal moves in Texas on post-in votes. Two are WaPo articles firewalled but the titles are good enough to google for another source on the issue, the other two links are other sources.

https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/news/politics/2020/05/14/ken-paxton-files-petition-texas-supreme-court-mail-voting/5187079002/

https://www.keranews.org/post/texas-supreme-court-puts-expansion-voting-mail-hold

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/05/20/will-texas-supreme-court-let-republican-state-leaders-deny-our-right-vote/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/05/20/vote-by-mail-ruling-texas/ - [fear of virus is valid reason to vote by post - federal court Tuesday]

The next Texan elections which would be affected by the outcome are in July, two months away.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I looked behind the curtain again and it seems to get worse everyday. Some of the tweets are bordering on insane.

I'm assuming Biden is polling incredibly well in Michigan?

Somebody somewhere will probably do a Phd on the metrics around tweets and what the data tells us which isn't immediately obvious.

I often do a quick ratio of responses to likes and you can gauge just how the tweet is perceived in this manner. For example, Laura Keunnsbergs tweets over the last 6 months have seen her regularly hit a ratio of 1:1 in responses for every like which is reflected in widespread condemnation of her reporting within many of the messages.
    With Trump, if the ratio is anything less than 10:1 then it is usually a sign that the content of the tweet is provocative.

But anyway, that rambling tale aside, one thing I noticed just now was a tweet congratulating his daughter on graduating law school. That received over 300K likes within just a few hours while all the other tweets sent at the same time received between about 30K and 70k likes. This seems to indicate to me that even amongst his followers, a lot of them are not impressed by the content of many of his tweets and only occasionally does he get over 500K per tweet.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1263282623939477511

You’d wonder what the tweets will be in September/October if Biden keeps up the poll leads he currently has and the Democrats pull further ahead in Senate races.

It’s 21th May and he’s full on unhinged already

marno21 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1263282623939477511

You’d wonder what the tweets will be in September/October if Biden keeps up the poll leads he currently has and the Democrats pull further ahead in Senate races.

It’s 21th May and he’s full on unhinged already

I never thought about tweets as being a disinformation tool but with its ready access to cell/mobile/smart phones and larger devices, it puts his tweets into another frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

The United States Postal Service is in trouble, may run out of money in August.

What's the betting that if Trump can't stop Postal voting he'll just not fund the PS and let it collapse?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

He did indeed and it now seems that they may have been a fraudulent vote!!

He has listed Mar a Lago as his residence , but according the local statutes and the terms of the planning permission etc. that were put in place when he bought it , no one is allowed to permanently live there , in fact , the rules stipulate that no-one can live there for longer than a week at a time and for a maximum of 6 weeks a year.

So , he's breaking the local laws/statutes that allowed him to open Mar a Lago as a Club in the 1st place by spending so much time there AND he may have committed voter fraud by voting in a place that he is not legally allowed to be resident in.

Outstanding leadership there.

Is postal voting not dodgy enough? The states don't require ID to vote either? Does anyone know the details of how they prove if postal votes are not written by anyone?

Is postal voting not dodgy enough? The states don't require ID to vote either? Does anyone know the details of how they prove if postal votes are not written by anyone?

States do require you to carry an I/D when you're voting. That said, a carry-gun permit will suffice as I/D in some states. Re the safety of the postal vote, the GOP allows its members to "harvest" postal votes [collect them from people and deliver them in bulk to voting centres]. That put's the "you and U.S.P.S" routine in a different light security-wise. In a case of recommendation for post-in voting, Don uses it and that should be the gold standard, if one is to trust anyone ;)

No , no it's not - there is zero evidence that there is any significant risk with Postal voting.

There are multiple states that vote almost exclusively via mail and they have never had any issues.

Its also not in the least bit surprising that the ONLY states that Trump is complaining about are ones that are in play in November - The multiple Solid GOP states that offer unlimited voting by mail?? Not a word from Trump about them.

This is purely about voter supression - Generally speaking when more people vote , the GOP do worse , so they do everything they can to make it harder for people to vote.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,371 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Technically yes.

In reality due to the voting not being computer controlled it would take a monumental operation to falsify enough ballots to make a difference, so much so it would not be feasible. The system is protected by the how archaic it is and the only real weak point is the central government lying about results.

As said there's also no evidence of postal voting being anymore dodgy. In fact it will give more people the right to vote where voter suppression by the GOP is in operation which is why there is such a backlash from the GOP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,350 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

If Biden get elected whoever the Vice President is must know that they have a great chance of getting the top job because no way will Biden last 8 years... he seems so fragile especially when compared to the Obama administration

• Registered Users Posts: 15,617 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

We all knew that Trump would revert to calling the election rigged, the only surprise is just how early he has resorted to it but given the disaster enveloping the country and his administration due to Covid he had to fire back with something.

We have seen this tactic before, it was completely groundless then, and completely groundless now. If Trump is so very worried about it, as he claims to be, then given he had these worries before he even got elected wouldn't it have been not only sensible, but democratic, to carry out massive independent studies to ascertain the real problem, look at ways to solve it whilst not disenfranchising voters and ensuring the robustness of what is, after all, supposedly the greatest democracy in the world?

But he hasn't because that involves some level of care and actually thinking their is a problem.

This tactic has two, rather than the last time 1, main aims. Get the 100% coverage off Covid 19 and get questions back to something else. That is the immediate goal and is working. 2) to set up some form of blame away from himself should he not win in November.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    We all knew that Trump would revert to calling the election rigged, the only surprise is just how early he has resorted to it but given the disaster enveloping the country and his administration due to Covid he had to fire back with something.

We have seen this tactic before, it was completely groundless then, and completely groundless now. If Trump is so very worried about it, as he claims to be, then given he had these worries before he even got elected wouldn't it have been not only sensible, but democratic, to carry out massive independent studies to ascertain the real problem, look at ways to solve it whilst not disenfranchising voters and ensuring the robustness of what is, after all, supposedly the greatest democracy in the world?

But he hasn't because that involves some level of care and actually thinking their is a problem.

This tactic has two, rather than the last time 1, main aims. Get the 100% coverage off Covid 19 and get questions back to something else. That is the immediate goal and is working. 2) to set up some form of blame away from himself should he not win in November.

Well , he kinda did , remember the "Voter Fraud Investigation" launched with huge fanfair that spent a bunch of money.

The one they quietly closed up and never spoke of again because it didn't find the answer they wanted as they found exactly the square root of feck-all evidence of Voter Fraud??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Christy42

Leroy42 wrote: »

I agree. I would also add to distract from the firing of IGs who do silly things like check for wrong doing from the administration.

I saw an article yesterday that kinda summed up Trump for me really.

They made the point that a Presidential Election should be about "Vote for me because this is what I've done and/or this is what I will do if I get Elected"

If you go to the Joe Biden campaign website , that's mostly whats there - "Here are the polices will enact , here are the things we'll do and here is why I'll be good at doing them" - You can read them and either agree or disagree.

Go to the Trump campaign website and once you manage to wade your way through all of the Trump/MAGA branded tat for sale you won't find a single thing about Policy - It's basically a list of people/groups that Trump hates and how only his election will destroy them.

It's Obama this or Radical Extreme Libs that.

Trump has nothing but hate and fear as his campaign message.

No , no it's not - there is zero evidence that there is any significant risk with Postal voting.

There are multiple states that vote almost exclusively via mail and they have never had any issues.

Its also not in the least bit surprising that the ONLY states that Trump is complaining about are ones that are in play in November - The multiple Solid GOP states that offer unlimited voting by mail?? Not a word from Trump about them.

This is purely about voter suppression - Generally speaking when more people vote , the GOP do worse , so they do everything they can to make it harder for people to vote.

Leaving politics out of this, I'm trying to think of this logistically. What's to stop someone intercepting your post and voting in your place?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,667 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I saw an article yesterday that kinda summed up Trump for me really.

They made the point that a Presidential Election should be about "Vote for me because this is what I've done and/or this is what I will do if I get Elected"

If you go to the Joe Biden campaign website , that's mostly whats there - "Here are the polices will enact , here are the things we'll do and here is why I'll be good at doing them" - You can read them and either agree or disagree.

Go to the Trump campaign website and once you manage to wade your way through all of the Trump/MAGA branded tat for sale you won't find a single thing about Policy - It's basically a list of people/groups that Trump hates and how only his election will destroy them.

It's Obama this or Radical Extreme Libs that.

Trump has nothing but hate and fear as his campaign message.

I recently had to access an old email address I use for spam-type things. Forgot I'd signed it up to Trump's election campaign newsletter during the first election.

The things they're putting out on those are insane. They're thirsty as hell for how many they're putting out, most of which asking for money or selling tat. It actually seemed to have been quiet a few weeks ago and now they're sending out several a day. Most of them are written even worse than his tweets, don't know if that's because someone is trying to emulate him and failing, or emulate the real him and succeeding.

An example from yesterday:
    I have exciting news to share with you.

You’ve always been a top supporter of mine, and to thank you, I want to offer you a spot on my Trump Presidential Honor Roll.

Members of my Honor Roll have shown true dedication to our America First agenda, and have made it clear they will continue fighting to Keep America Great no matter what LIES the Left throws our way.

The Democrats’ despicable strategies are not going to work. Not on my watch. But, I can’t do it alone. When I need advice on how to combat their attacks, I’ll turn to YOU. When I need to make a statement to the Fake News media, I’ll turn to YOU.

Joining my Honor Roll is absolutely paramount, and that’s why I’m calling on YOU to step up and accept my offer so that we can FIGHT BACK against their constant attacks.

I’m only extending this offer to my most loyal supporters. The Presidential Honor Roll is a select group and I can only guarantee your spot for the next 3 hours. I hope you can accept your invitation to this distinguished group of Trump supporters.

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT to join my prestigious Trump Presidential Honor Roll. >>

TRUMP PRESIDENTIAL HONOR ROLL

DEADLINE: NEXT 3 HOURS
    HONOR ROLL STATUS: MISSING

CONTRIBUTE $5

CONTRIBUTE $20

CONTRIBUTE $15

CONTRIBUTE $10

CONTRIBUTE $5

CONTRIBUTE ANY AMOUNT

I really need you on my team as a member of my Trump Presidential Honor Roll. This team is made up of my fiercest defenders, and I can’t think of anyone else I’d rather have standing by my side heading into November.

Right now, the Democrats are working in unison with the anti-Trump media and their radical Left-wing cronies to run a massive, non-stop propaganda campaign of LIES to try and destroy me.

I want you to know what I will NEVER back down. I will always do whatever it takes to protect our great Nation from their America LAST agenda, but I can’t do it without you.

Please contribute ANY AMOUNT to join my Trump Presidential Honor Roll.

Thank you,

Leaving politics out of this, I'm trying to think of this logistically. What's to stop someone intercepting your post and voting in your place?

Of course , it could happen , but as Retrogamer pointed out - The sheer logistics of doing that at a scale where it would actually make a difference makes it virtually impossible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I imagine it'd only be easier to stall the (postal vote) counts, or call them into question entirely, necessitating legal action: maybe the more likely scenario we've been missing. A repeat of the 2000 election, rather than some militant action by extremists; another variation of the dirty tricks (such as the "Brooks Brothers Riot") played by the GOP to effectively steer the recount. Roger Stone is out of the picture, but whoever picks up the mantle may have disruption tactics planned for this more Postal Vote heavy election.

Arguably, we're seeing the narrative going in that direction already, albeit via the Foghorn of Trump's inability to play it cool. Let the election go ahead, and at centres with close numbers - oh, we must recount to ensure democracy is actioned (or indeed, we must stop this recount. To arms brothers, we must protect democracy!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,066 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Penn wrote: »
    I recently had to access an old email address I use for spam-type things. Forgot I'd signed it up to Trump's election campaign newsletter during the first election.

The things they're putting out on those are insane. They're thirsty as hell for how many they're putting out, most of which asking for money or selling tat. It actually seemed to have been quiet a few weeks ago and now they're sending out several a day. Most of them are written even worse than his tweets, don't know if that's because someone is trying to emulate him and failing, or emulate the real him and succeeding.

An example from yesterday:

There's some fellow in Maryland who has the same name as myself and probably a very similar email and for over a decade I've been receiving emails for himself which has given me quite the insight into his life. And try as I might I just can't seem to get rid of some of my entries on some mailing lists.

I'm looking at you Congressman Ruppersberger.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dutch_Ruppersberger

Anyway, I was looking on my spam folder yesterday and I got to see some Trumpian mail-outs purporting to be from Junior, similar to what you posted.

Oh my God. It's like they're trying to make them look like spam. I'm surprised they're getting through to inboxes tbh.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement