Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,470 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Minnesota governor apologizes for arrest of CNN team
    CNN president Jeff Zucker spoke with the governor of Minnesota, Tim Walz on Friday morning, following the arrest of CNN's team in Minneapolis,

Walz said he "deeply apologizes" for what happened and is working to have the CNN team released immediately.

Walz described the arrests as "unacceptable," said CNN's team clearly has the right to be there, and said he wants the media to be in Minnesota to cover the protests.

https://edition.cnn.com/us/live-news/george-floyd-protest-updates-05-28-20/index.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Christy42 wrote: »
    Thanks. That is a pretty horrific look. The reporter clearly asked repeatedly where the police wanted them to be standing and identified themselves. Impressively calm throughout the situation.

It sort of gets worse..

The reporter that was arrested is Black/Hispanic , however his White colleague also broadcasting from the area was told he was fine where he was...
    Fellow CNN correspondent Josh Campell, who was also reporting from the city, said he was approached by police but was allowed to stay in the area to do his job. “I identified myself ... they said, ‘OK, you're permitted to be in the area,’” said Campbell, who is white. “I was treated much differently than [Jimenez] was.”

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

The dude is openly quoting racists for his incitement to violence.

Yet people will defend him as not racist. He's clearly racist.

He's a despicable person. Rioting isn't going to solve anything but trump is incapable of calming the situation, he's actively making it worse.

I find his presidency so tiring, I cannot fathom why anyone would want four more years of this car crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭Penn

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Yet people will defend him as not racist. He's clearly racist.

He's a despicable person. Rioting isn't going to solve anything but trump is incapable of calming the situation, he's actively making it worse.

I find his presidency so tiring, I cannot fathom why anyone would want four more years of this car crash.

Yeah but Biden sometimes muddles words up, so that's just as bad, if not worse, than Trump's racism, incompetence, narcissism, corruption, attacks on the media, attacks on elected officials, attacks on anyone who criticises him, lying, accusing people of murder with no justification, over 20 accusations of sexual assault including his ex-wife in a deposition saying he raped her, and also muddling his words up more than Biden does.

They're like two sides of the same coin, if one side was a bit dirty, and the other side was covered in sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,366 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yah heard it myself. On Irish news radio. Today FM I believe.

They left out the end of the quote. What a surprise.

Won’t somebody please think of poor unfortunate Donald. He’s being victimised by ****ing Twitter, while the county goes gown the tubes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

It's that time again where we remind you all to read the forum charter. Name calling, one-liners, posts simploy consisting of tweets, memes or YouTube videos aren't permitted.

If you post doesn't consist of at least one paragraph of your own contribution to this discussion, think twice before hitting "Reply"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,108 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Quite a contrast when you look at Trump's comments when he is talking about white protesters and black.

It was about this time last week when a certain element were faux outraged by a poor joke Biden made and now Trump is out there saying black protesters should be shot.

https://twitter.com/jason_kint/status/1266240283068362752?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 7,948 ✭✭✭Christy42

Donald tried to get around the twitter block (too strong, sidelining I guess since they just force a button click to view his tweet) by posting the same message on the white house twitter feed. He must be really proud of his incitement to violence and quoting of racists.

It gets the same treatment obviously.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1266342941649506304

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

To be fair to the white supremacists in Michigan, their protest while armed was peaceful, they didn’t do any looting or rioting.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Donald tried to get around the twitter block (too strong, sidelining I guess since they just force a button click to view his tweet) by posting the same message on the white house twitter feed. He must be really proud of his incitement to violence and quoting of racists.

It gets the same treatment obviously.

https://mobile.twitter.com/WhiteHouse/status/1266342941649506304

Yeah, I posted the tweet from the Whitehouse to show how they're trying to circumvent what Twitter did but it's gone. It's ridiculously petty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MadYaker wrote: »
    To be fair to the white supremacists in Michigan, their protest while armed was peaceful, they didn’t do any looting or rioting.

More guns needed for more peaceful protests then obviously.

I'm sure the police won't then get themselves more and bigger guns in response to the population being ore heavily armed though.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

It's an important point - The actions of a few have seriously damaged the far more important issues.

It gives certain groups the talking points to just say things like "See? , this is what the police are dealing with , no wonder they are heavy handed at times"

Whilst not condoning the actions of looters etc. - They have ruined the whole underlying reason for people being on the street, it would be interesting to see a timeline in terms of who escalated 1st?

I know the Police were using tear-gas and the like earlier in the day - what prompted them to do that?

While heavily armed those protesters tried to force their way onto the floor of the capitol building. Do you really believe a group of heavily armed black men screaming abuse would have been allowed to do that without police response and then Trump would have tweeted support?

Away from the rioting last night, police were just going around pepper spraying non-violent protesters.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1266211951668948992?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheDemCoalition/status/1266206126854504453?s=20

As a contrast of police response, here are some of the 'fine people' at the reopen protests in action

https://twitter.com/vivian_v_/status/1256119999745277952?s=20

https://twitter.com/gcgukk/status/1266258461496446976?s=20

Foxtrol wrote: »
    While heavily armed those protesters tried to force their way onto the floor of the capitol building. Do you really believe a group of heavily armed black men screaming abuse would have been allowed to do that without police response and then Trump would have tweeted support?

Away from the rioting last night, police were just going around pepper spraying non-violent protesters.

https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/1266211951668948992?s=20

https://twitter.com/TheDemCoalition/status/1266206126854504453?s=20

So - Black Kid giving them the finger from about 6 feet away gets Pepper-sprayed , but a few weeks ago we saw footage of white guys armed with automatic rifles screaming at police and covering them in spittle because they were literally a few inches away just get the "Stoic blank stare" response..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    So - Black Kid giving them the finger from about 6 feet away gets Pepper-sprayed , but a few weeks ago we saw footage of white guys armed with automatic rifles screaming at police and covering them in spittle because they were literally a few inches away just get the "Stoic blank stare" response..

It's arguably not even racism: bullies pick on those who are more vulnerable or in a more pronounced position of powerlessness. The cops won't pick fights with the weekend warriors that look like NPCs from Call of Duty 'cos they can fight back (and probably know each other from the gun-range anyway); meanwhile the lanky youths are just "punks" ripe for stepping on. There'll be some waffle about them being "know to police", maybe even have a laundry list of misdemeanours against their name - but that doesn't matter.

America right now is precisely the example to point to for all those who think a "tough approach" to law enforcement is the right path forward. The ones who think we should look the other way while the cops pour into every troubled neighbourhood armed to the teeth.

pixelburp wrote: »
    It's arguably not even racism: bullies pick on those who are more vulnerable or in a more pronounced position of powerlessness. The cops won't pick fights with the weekend warriors that look like NPCs from Call of Duty 'cos they can fight back (and probably know each other from the gun-range anyway); meanwhile the lanky youths are just "punks" ripe for stepping on. There'll be some waffle about them being "know to police", maybe even have a laundry list of misdemeanours against their name - but that doesn't matter.

America right now is precisely the example to point to for all those who think a "tough approach" to law enforcement is the right path forward. The ones who think we should look the other way while the cops pour into every troubled neighbourhood armed to the teeth.

To me that argument falls when society is built so that the most vulnerable are generally minorities, so police then stereotype and act in that abusive manner towards anyone who has that colour skin.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It's an important point - The actions of a few have seriously damaged the far more important issues.

It gives certain groups the talking points to just say things like "See? , this is what the police are dealing with , no wonder they are heavy handed at times"

Whilst not condoning the actions of looters etc. - They have ruined the whole underlying reason for people being on the street, it would be interesting to see a timeline in terms of who escalated 1st?

I know the Police were using tear-gas and the like earlier in the day - what prompted them to do that?

I don't agree. Looting definitely gave them an easy excuse but those that want to find a reason to deflect from the issue always find a way.

Look at the kid that was chased and shot while out jogging and all the excuses the usual crowed dragged up against him.

Look at he peaceful NFL player protest that they twisted into hating 'da troops' and 'da flag', despite the person that advised that taking a knee would be respectful way of protest being a veteran.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

I still can't get over the fact that armed men were allowed to walk into state legislatures in the US and essentially take them over and the police didn't bat an eyelid. What a crazy country.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,579 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If this was a once off, then sure, I can understand that the police are in a tough position and its easy sitting here to say what should be done, a lot harder when one is in the middle of things. Cops get scared too, and decisions are made that in less stressful times would be taken differently.

However, there is a clear history of this type of action. It certainly seems that the police are far quicker to move to a higher level against black and other minorities than they would be for whites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is bizarre and quite incomprehensible. The official White House twitter account violating social media rules on glorifying violence. Unreal.

kGE2JANzQUdilxSQrwKy0m2nviTFRL90sxcBdt7N48TtvNf2RxCGy_SmTHfJDMxd-AYNEGwPDfH3U2B0Ppz3R9o0BkAB3wWtjIkStSCxLPyA_w7tFMngH8i0ihoVADCd5DL4yJ5_0Fyug8fMWXELwhmWno0ob7u6nDWAg9gZSpQpRYoc0GtRcES1otpcs6nBJwuXH6_QcGoxOwR_IQgwvAjYFalbjpZn7-0PW6o8Vs1YxThUAs6DwpYkxdtQuEtav6KNo9kRRLU4gpLiTSehKnLMZQacQgPgWlJA5JihjuaRTKm4GKBDUX-6ktKNCNcidYIg6sw4kEtaRmaJDipJA_cJjTIvuCqWYb1ZWL_HMoFU15ddeWlmwVg9frm4L8E0oWr_rIfEBuKPf-IkNY4r9O39x4Q-bmAEKhgA3RxoeOF4nT-7IdtyNTSlufZd5OMT8tjo2MbZ0_kgVgvUxGMz1vQhxpVh4Si5vOhVAv_qEYQuP-oR7pZ4-13KUZl_OEXKgb8a23v_V0d6pLFi1a6MDhBCx4BzQXhQIyiLYF6cVjpj3APrSRwJFbRV2yM9itxkGzpuyzXcN2nzURASwrR1XqTLkmh5oD70pd3aWNmURPq_WS2uiPp0AoicuB5F6T8F1gQXg5kRZq_3TPNAoCVvad1Jq9pYFlXYp9iyMz_fejyXGHnAW6kPDjw0PP34S-4=w1080-h581-no?authuser=0

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

namloc1980 wrote: »
    This is bizarre and quite incomprehensible. The official White House twitter account violating social media rules on glorifying violence. Unreal.

kGE2JANzQUdilxSQrwKy0m2nviTFRL90sxcBdt7N48TtvNf2RxCGy_SmTHfJDMxd-AYNEGwPDfH3U2B0Ppz3R9o0BkAB3wWtjIkStSCxLPyA_w7tFMngH8i0ihoVADCd5DL4yJ5_0Fyug8fMWXELwhmWno0ob7u6nDWAg9gZSpQpRYoc0GtRcES1otpcs6nBJwuXH6_QcGoxOwR_IQgwvAjYFalbjpZn7-0PW6o8Vs1YxThUAs6DwpYkxdtQuEtav6KNo9kRRLU4gpLiTSehKnLMZQacQgPgWlJA5JihjuaRTKm4GKBDUX-6ktKNCNcidYIg6sw4kEtaRmaJDipJA_cJjTIvuCqWYb1ZWL_HMoFU15ddeWlmwVg9frm4L8E0oWr_rIfEBuKPf-IkNY4r9O39x4Q-bmAEKhgA3RxoeOF4nT-7IdtyNTSlufZd5OMT8tjo2MbZ0_kgVgvUxGMz1vQhxpVh4Si5vOhVAv_qEYQuP-oR7pZ4-13KUZl_OEXKgb8a23v_V0d6pLFi1a6MDhBCx4BzQXhQIyiLYF6cVjpj3APrSRwJFbRV2yM9itxkGzpuyzXcN2nzURASwrR1XqTLkmh5oD70pd3aWNmURPq_WS2uiPp0AoicuB5F6T8F1gQXg5kRZq_3TPNAoCVvad1Jq9pYFlXYp9iyMz_fejyXGHnAW6kPDjw0PP34S-4=w1080-h581-no?authuser=0

Aye Trump tweeted "When the looting starts, the shooting starts!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,437 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Inquitus wrote: »

But this is the White House twitter...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Inquitus wrote: »

For reference.

d31eac25c039a4dfdbc5595d6e9cabbb.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Trump holding press conference at 6pm GMT though I think everyone is sick of listening to him at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

I disagree with some of the rhetoric about the police, imo the overwhelming majority of them are brave people who put their lives on the line protecting others, as much as it's a tough subject some minorities are disproportionately committing serious crimes so imo it's not a fair statement to say police are targeting blacks.

The guy who kneeled on that mans head should serve decades in prison if not his life. He was probably a racist, but was also certainly some insecure psycho who got off over having that amount of control over another person. I really have zero sympathy for him and wouldn't care if he rots away in a cell for the rest of his life. The officers with him are also to blame, they should have stopped him.

That statement from Trump totally crosses the line and it's not the first time he's done it, it would be best for all if he disappeared. It's totally irresponsible and is inciting violence to a degree. The man isn't well mentally, that's been apparent for a long time now.

IMO I think he loses easily in November, but I really dread to think of what's going to happen in the run up to the election. 2016 was very rough and it will be tenfold worse this time around considering he's the one in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

It would be great if Twitter took a stand here and banned this orange ****ing imbecile and the White House account from the platform. What would would dotard do if they took his soapbox away from him?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,947 ✭✭✭circadian

Any idea why he just tweeted CHINA! a few hours ago??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

circadian wrote: »
    Any idea why he just tweeted CHINA! a few hours ago??

Deflection reflex with everything that's been going on. Kinda like when you stub your toe and yell out FECK.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Blaze420 wrote: »
    It would be great if Twitter took a stand here and banned this orange ****ing imbecile and the White House account from the platform. What would would dotard do if they took his soapbox away from him?

Anything he wants. His followers would likely close accounts too. Millions of people. Twitter advertising revenue would drop like a rock. Share price would fall.

They won't do anything

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement