Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/31/donald-trump-coronavirus-pandemic-george-floyd-minneapolis-tweets?

"You’d be forgiven if you hadn’t noticed. His verbal bombshells are louder than ever, but Donald J Trump is no longer president of the United States.

By having no constructive response to any of the monumental crises now convulsing America, Trump has abdicated his office.

He is not governing. He’s golfing, watching cable TV and tweeting."

Sums it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/may/31/donald-trump-coronavirus-pandemic-george-floyd-minneapolis-tweets?

"You’d be forgiven if you hadn’t noticed. His verbal bombshells are louder than ever, but Donald J Trump is no longer president of the United States.

By having no constructive response to any of the monumental crises now convulsing America, Trump has abdicated his office.

He is not governing. He’s golfing, watching cable TV and tweeting."

Sums it up.

I have to agree. I followed the covid situation closely and he lost interest very quickly. It was only beginning and he was acting like it was all sorted and maybe there'd be a resurgence in the fall. It was like it was already gone.

Then obviously massive issues with the police brutality with George, protests, riots, looting, and its obviously a complex problem I've no opinion on how to solve or even if it can be at this stage but he came out and gave a rant about China and just walked off. I couldn't believe he didn't reach out to the people.

The lack of empathy is apparent daily, and I think a lack of empathy just doesn't work for someone in his position. You need empathy. It's not about you right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Anonymous going after trump now on Twitter. This could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    I have to agree. I followed the covid situation closely and he lost interest very quickly. It was only beginning and he was acting like it was all sorted and maybe there'd be a resurgence in the fall. It was like it was already gone.

Then obviously massive issues with the police brutality with George, protests, riots, looting, and its obviously a complex problem I've no opinion on how to solve or even if it can be at this stage but he came out and gave a rant about China and just walked off. I couldn't believe he didn't reach out to the people.

The lack of empathy is apparent daily, and I think a lack of empathy just doesn't work for someone in his position. You need empathy. It's not about you right now.

He's not capable of that whatsoever. His only strategy is to attack everyone and let the collateral damage hopefully fall in his favour. He's about the worst example of a "leader" that you could give.

Would you follow that guy into battle? I don't think so. He is a petulant child.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,662 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Trump has vetoed a joint congress/senate approved Student Loan Forgiveness bill which was brought through both chambers after Betty DeVos changed the rules covering SDF brought in by the Obama Administration. The senate voted 53/42 in favour of the bill. DeVos said her changes were because the Obama rules were too loose and too many students could qualify. The Obama rules were to protect students who were urged by colleges to apply for the loan, hand the cash over to them and then close up shop, leaving the students with no college but stuck with repaying the loan.

One thing about DeVos changing the rules is that after she did so, she was ordered by a federal court judge to comply with the rules. Instead of doing so, her dept demanded repayments from the students and also garnished their wages or took their tax refunds and benefits. DeVos said her change to the rules would save the taxpayer US$11 Billion over 10 years.

I can see how this is going to endear him and DeVos to US college students and their families relying on the loan to get college educations. The original article is on Forbes but behind a firewall.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

I said it in the George Floyd thread, over 100,000 dead in 3 months, country on the brink with racial tension and what does Donnie do? Announces "IT'S MAGA NIGHT AT THE WHITE HOUSE TONIGHT".

Anyone who thinks he gives a solitary f*ck about what's happening over there is deluding themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

fullstop wrote: »
    Anonymous going after trump now on Twitter. This could be interesting.

Accusing him of child trafficking and ordering a hit on Epstein. I'm sure the Trump supporters here that defended his right to accuse Scarborough of wrongdoing will be just as accommodating to these accusations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,986 ✭✭✭Christy42

Billy Mays wrote: »
    I said it in the George Floyd thread, over 100,000 dead in 3 months, country on the brink with racial tension and what does Donnie do? Announces "IT'S MAGA NIGHT AT THE WHITE HOUSE TONIGHT".

Anyone who thinks he gives a solitary f*ck about what's happening over there is deluding themselves.

It really sums up a lot of his presidency quite well tbh. It is beyond satire. We'll one thing is for sure. America needs to be made great again after all of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭trashcan

rossie1977 wrote: »

Its like putting a 5 year in the pilot seat and expecting him to land plane once automatic pilot is switched off!

Except the five year old probably wouldn't insist that he's the bestest pilot ever, and the landing is going to be the greatest in the history of mankind, and claim that anyone pointing out that he's only 5 and patently incapable of flying a plane is just indulging in fake news and is out to sully his name.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I heard trump use the phrase 'MAGA' had no idea what it meant. I was thinking along terms of 'BAME' like they say in the UK. :o Stupid I know.

Trump was smart enough to copyright Make America Great Again back in 2012. But only intended on using it when he played golf. :D

But because I looked it up on you tube now I am now being recommended Trump supporter videos. One where a fella travelling in aeroplanes wore a a MAGA hat to see what reaction he would get in California and Canada. No one would sit beside him on a packed planes! :eek:

Then I was given recommended videos of CNN and others predictions prior to Trump winning the GOP nominee. It was a skit at the predictions. No chance they said. Then no chance for the presidency they said.

The thing that struck me was nearly all these American politician types would have no chance of getting elected in Ireland. With thier fake gleaming white smiles, plastic looks, immaculate hair and god fearing talk. I even saw one thumbnail on youtube 'Trump Chosen By God'

I was wondering will the US 'liberal' media (as they say) be more clued in next time? Will Trump be spun as the saviour of the USA after covid19 passes?
    Their worldview in the USA seems so different to here. It seems impossible to predict.

I mean I read "What's the matter with Kansas? : how conservatives won the heart of America" by Thomas Frank (2005)." To try and give myself a gist of it all. But I still find it hard to wrap my head around it all.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

If Anonymous were saying Scarborough murdered his former staffer Donnie would be tweeting it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,708 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Blueshoe will be taking a break from this forum.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭eire4

Accusing him of child trafficking and ordering a hit on Epstein. I'm sure the Trump supporters here that defended his right to accuse Scarborough of wrongdoing will be just as accommodating to these accusations.

I obviously have no idea who had Epstein killed but I will say this there is zero chance IMHO that he just happened to die in prison given the goods he had on so many high profile people. Who had him murdered I have no idea but he for sure IMHO was murdered so he could not talk and expose the many high profile people he could put on the hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,357 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

eire4 wrote: »
    I obviously have no idea who had Epstein killed but I will say this there is zero chance IMHO that he just happened to die in prison given the goods he had on so many high profile people. Who had him murdered I have no idea but he for sure IMHO was murdered so he could not talk and expose the many high profile people he could put on the hook.

He certainly seemed to be bipartisan in who he may have ended up with dirt on. I didn’t read up much on him but his links seem to be to all sorts of people from all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

eire4 wrote: »

Remember the footage of them taking taking evidence from his island home etc. Did anything ever come of all that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,454 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Remember the footage of them taking taking evidence from his island home etc. Did anything ever come of all that?

Call me pessimistic, but I don't anything ever comes of these investigations. How many people were brought down by the Panama papers? If you're high enough up the chain you have a lot of layers of protection before it ever comes to justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Madeleine Birchfield

I heard trump use the phrase 'MAGA' had no idea what it meant. I was thinking along terms of 'BAME' like they say in the UK. :o Stupid I know.

Trump was smart enough to copyright Make America Great Again back in 2012. But only intended on using it when he played golf. :D

But because I looked it up on you tube now I am now being recommended Trump supporter videos. One where a fella travelling in aeroplanes wore a a MAGA hat to see what reaction he would get in California and Canada. No one would sit beside him on a packed planes! :eek:

Then I was given recommended videos of CNN and others predictions prior to Trump winning the GOP nominee. It was a skit at the predictions. No chance they said. Then no chance for the presidency they said.

The thing that struck me was nearly all these American politician types would have no chance of getting elected in Ireland. With thier fake gleaming white smiles, plastic looks, immaculate hair and god fearing talk. I even saw one thumbnail on youtube 'Trump Chosen By God'

I was wondering will the US 'liberal' media (as they say) be more clued in next time? Will Trump be spun as the saviour of the USA after covid19 passes?
    Their worldview in the USA seems so different to here. It seems impossible to predict.

I mean I read "What's the matter with Kansas? : how conservatives won the heart of America" by Thomas Frank (2005)." To try and give myself a gist of it all. But I still find it hard to wrap my head around it all.

The Republicans are basically Gemma O'Doherty, John Waters, the Healy Raes, and the DUP in one party, while the Democrats are a coalition of FF/FG/SF/Labour.

Just seen footage of Alex Jones driving around in an armoured 4WD trying to stick it to the Antifa Communists through loudspeakers. What a bizarre thing to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

kowloon wrote: »
    Just seen footage of Alex Jones driving around in an armoured 4WD trying to stick it to the Antifa Communists through loudspeakers. What a bizarre thing to watch.

If he goes too far with that he could easily find himself cooked inside in it. Tanks in Tiananmen square.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,900 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I really hope that trump doesn't go ahead with a rumoured address to the nation because yes a presidential address is important,but that works on the assumption that the president regardless of party is able to deliver words that comfort the nation and let's be honest Donald trump has shown neither the ability nor the inclination to be empathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I really hope that trump doesn't go ahead with a rumoured address to the nation because yes a presidential address is important,but that works on the assumption that the president regardless of party is able to deliver words that comfort the nation and let's be honest Donald trump has shown neither the ability nor the inclination to be empathetic.

ABC reports suggestively that there is a schism in the White House about how to address the nation because of the elephant in the room. Donald Trump has glorified himself as a provocateur in Chief, and now those chickens have come home to roost.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,900 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Overheal wrote: »
    ABC reports suggestively that there is a schism in the White House about how to address the nation because of the elephant in the room. Donald Trump has glorified himself as a provocateur in Chief, and now those chickens have come home to roost.

I hadn't heard that report but that doesn't surprise me. I mean whatever you think of Ronald Reagan as president, when the challenger disaster happened he with the help of Peggy noonan was able to deliver a speech that sounded genuine. Donald trump at times has sounded like he's reading a hostage statement which isn't good enough when the United States is dealing with that coronavirus(which hasn't vanished btw) the death of George floyd, and an economic mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,375 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

It’s actually unfathomable what’s going on over there right now. You have 100k+ dead from Covid (even at that, probably vastly under reported to suit trumps narrative), the president in deflection mode trying to pin everything on the WHO and China, then picking a fight with ****ing Twitter to do some more deflecting, even going to the trouble of signing an Executive Order against them while rambling at length about how he’s being victimised.

In the midst of all this, a police man murders someone by kneeling on his neck for 10 mins, sparking predictable outrage and mayhem from blacks and whites alike. The ‘president’ then goes on the attack against “do nothing democrat” mayors and governors for not calling in the national guard, who, where they have been called in, are basically acting like terrorists. I left out the part about him going to Space X and getting bored 16 seconds after takeoff, but I digress.

I’ve seen several videos on twitter etc the last day or 2 of the police and national guard acting like complete c*nts (running people over, pepper spraying them for no reason, etc.), but one I’ve watched just now (from Atlanta I think) has really ****ed me off. Black couple in a car, riot police/national guard/who knows stop them, try to open passenger door. When it won’t open, one of them smash the drivers window, another goes around slashing the tyres on both sides and both occupants tasered and arrested. Completely OTT, with 20 armed police surrounding the car, and 2 of them have already been fired.

The level of hatred is off the charts and is only being made worse by their ****ing cretinous president tweeting sh!te to fan the flames. Can see it getting very ugly over the next few days.

Rant. Over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Where can I view this

Where can I view this

Unfortunately, it's on the infowars site, Youtube and Twitter have both banned him.

This one seems a little over the top:

Unfortunately, it's on the infowars site, Youtube and Twitter have both banned him.

This one seems a little over the top:

What the ****

• Registered Users Posts: 82,794 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Seen it too. More examples of unethical police discretion. It forces you to ask questions about their judgement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Seen it too. More examples of unethical police discretion. It forces you to ask questions about their judgement.

That's putting it mildly. Those police know that they have the support of the President to come down hard on people , even where they (the police) are going over the line on what is acceptable behaviour.

That group of weekend warriors are using military tactics in a policing situation, and treating residents of a US neighbourhood like they would treat villagers in remote Afghanistan or in Iraq's Fallujah! "Light them Up" is a dreadful military order that has been evoked far too often by US military to commit war crimes abroad. Such an order has no place in a residential area where ppl were standing on their own front porch, looking out from private property. I'll guarantee they won't use that approach in or near Millionaire's Row wherever that happens to be in the Twin Cities, or to residents of Beverly Hills in Los Angeles. That's the kind of treatment that's reserved for po' folks, which is basically why the cities have gone to **** in the 1st place since the man was murdered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Not one to play the conspiracy game, but looks somewhat the police are enticing escalation. At the very least attempting to. Harsher measures inbound for the protestors if that comes about and police get to 'brutalise' more people.

Also, read a follow up tweet of the journalist that was blinded by a rubber bullet shot by police officer. Paraphrasing here, but essentially she called on people to not stop protesting, that it was the police that caused her injury, not someone amongst the protestors. A rallying cry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,093 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Yeah anyone who says they have the answers to solve police violence is taking the piss. There has been commissions over the years about police behavior and it doesn't seem to have much use.

I think a lot of police clearly have a "warzone" mentality and maybe the ease that people have to guns doesn't help.

I remember reading domestic abuse in police households is much higher in police families than the general population.

At least there needs to be a discussion about how drug crime is policed which is at the core of the issues with the black community and the police for decades.

I'd be curious to know the presence of war veterans in the police also, has to play a factor in the current era.

No easy solutions sadly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement